Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #15

MOVABLE BOOK LADY: Probably one of the best summations of the way a lot of us singles think. I know it sums it up for me. Sometimes I wonder if it is the best approach, but so far I am satisfied. Howwever, I am relatively new to the single life again. I certainly can relate to not being a joiner.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
It would take a solid, long term relationship . . . like YEARS . . . for me to consider giving up my rig and moving into another rig with someone. I like my independence and my own space and my own stuff . . . plus who would put up with three little chihuahuas????
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks, Homer and GraciesMom.

I had a guy once I was very close to, both friends and lovers at different times, and he was a solo, too. We planned to grow old together somehow. We decided the only way we could do it was to buy a duplex and live next door to each other. Sadly, he died before this could come to pass (pun intended).

Examples of why I don't want to live with anyone:

1. I'm busy with something and get asked "what's for dinner." My answer is: "Are you crippled?"

2. I'm reading and he feels free to interrupt me with questions or some comments on what he's doing.

3. I'm expected to be responsible for the house cleaning, including his messes (like wet towels on the bathroom floor, etc.) by virtue of being female.

I'm not domestic and don't want to be. I'm not maternal and don't want to be. Isn't it enough that I'm willing to do my share? Isn't it enough that I'm smart and funny and decent looking, just like him?

I'm not ranting or anything, am I?

No no, just pointing things out in a calm and detached manner. That's right, calm and detached, and don't you forget it.

Okay, I'll stop now.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #18

MBL - too funny. Yeah, having breasts and other special anatomy does not make me the maid. Sorry. Totally agree with you!!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Thank you thank you. Now let's see how many guys agree.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I totally agree...

.. so while your up doing the dishes, bring me another beer
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
LOL!

I remember that ploy! And I'll do it, too, as soon as you iron your shirts and put the folded laundry away.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #22

I caravaned with a gal for several years. At the offset she told me that she had raised 6 kids and was tired of cooking. So, since I like to cook, I did. After awhile it got old. No longer traveling down the same roads.
Dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #23

I have a couple of friends in their late 60's, early 70's . . . he loves to cook, she doesn't, so she does the laundry and light cleaning, he takes care of the exterior and cooking and she washes the dishes. They travel in seperate rigs but it works for them. I HATE to cook, but I will do it to give the "cook" a night off . . . LOL!!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #24

Reading back over these points, I realize that if you travel with friends or in a group, you have company for dinner, hiking or whatever else you'd like to do. It's sort of the best of both worlds if you're not willing to give up your privacy for good. And you can learn the techy stuff . . . and you can handle the hookups, etc.

I have to re-emphasize these points . . . . when we are alone, what we DON'T have overwhelms us . . . but we forget how precious OUR TIME is to us until we get into a relationship and start to miss the little things our singleness provides for us!!! I think we should appreciate our singleness. Maybe it's different for men than it is for women. I'm sure the men have things like "no-one to cook for me, no one to scratch my back" etc., on their lists, whereas for women, it's usually not having to do things for someone else all the time that give us our sense of freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
Top 10 Good Things:

1. Alone time whenever I want it.
2. No cooking unless I want to cook - and I can clean up when I want to.
3. I can sleep in as late as I want and stay up as late as I want, reading, watching chick flicks, drinking wine, eating bon bons or whatever with no one complaining.
4. I can hang out with my girlfriends without feeling guilty
5. I can buy whatever I want, whenever I want, without having to justify it
6. I can decorate my bedroom - and the whole rig - anyway that I want to.
7. I can have as many dogs, books, knick knacks, stuffed animals, clothes, shoes, or anything as I want
8. I can go wherever I want, whenever I want, for as long as I want
10. No snoring, passing gas, burping, elbows to the back, hogging the covers or other things keeping me awake.

Top 10 Bad Things:

1. Having to wrestle the awning in by yourself in the middle of the night when a storm and high winds come up unexpectedly.
2. Dealing with the sewer connections
3. Hooking up/unhooking the toad.
4. Having to learn the complicated techy/mechanical stuff.
5. No one to go hiking in "dangerous areas" with or sharing the wonderful experiences with.
6. Dining alone or cooking for one.
7. Being the "odd man out" at get-togethers.
8. No one to talk to in the middle of the night.
9. No one to warm your cold toes in bed.
10. No hugs.

Anyone?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gracies Mom, you have some very good points on your top 10 good and bad lists. My feelings on any male, female relationship, whether married, or just living together, is that you cannot have all of the things listed on the good list, nor do you have to put up with all of the things on the bad list. What each partner has to do is learn to compromise. Notice I said each partner in the relationship. It won't work if one half refuses to do so. Its my feelings that one can have the best of both your lists, at least to a great degree thru compromise. Its worked for me for 51 years.

Dieselclacker
Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Good things No. 11

11. I can leave the seat UP! as it should be in the first place... after all it's a man's world, toilet seats should always be in the UP position and if a woman wants to use our throne, she can lower the seat.

(Geez.. I can already hear the reply's and I haven't even hit the send button yet)
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #27

Ok - let me be the first. Since men and women BOTH SIT ON THE TOILET to go poopie (at least I HOPE you guys do . . . ), I would venture that NEITHER would want to stumbled into a dark toilet in the middle of the night and sit on cold porcelain. So it seems to me that the NATURAL position for the toilet would be with the seat DOWN. And considering that we all live in RV's, I'd consider the natural position for the seat AND the lid would be to be DOWN!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #28

And what about burping and . . . um . . . passing gas??? Is that a guy's natural-born right to it wherever they want? Geez! Where does that go on the list?

12. Not having to listen to gas passing or burping . . . . or belching.