Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #1

Tricking out a Jeep Liberty

Drove cross country from Maine to CA & OR & back. Tried to put a small raised bed in the Jeep Liberty 2012 but it was to close to the top and I felt crushed The storage area in the space below the bed was excellent as the bed was resting on a fitted piece of ply wood. It was an excellent trip with many tenting nights in camp grounds. I am fully retired with a substantial retirement with 100% medical coverage from the VA Admin with care facilities across all 50 states. I am under the belief from what I have read thus far even though I am a noobie to this site that my $5100 a month tax free will be more then enough My plan is to rv in. the Summers visiting relatives friends from my time in Nam HS classmates & college classmates. When the weather heads South so do I (Pun intended) I am planning flying to Central America then come back & RV again in the Summer. I really do not want to spend a fortune on an RV but rather would trick out my Jeep. I have a small cage hooked on to my hitch in the back so I can load that up in water proof tubs from Walmart then hopefully I will be able to bed down inside & not feel so cramped I have looked at Tear Drops but they r pretty small and then If something happens to them I am stuck trying to figure that out I am under the though the smaller the better and traveling as light as possible is also the way to go Sleeping tent cookware and gas stove, clothes, my reallygood 10 speed, food and snacks, I am looking at tenting in the boondocks small camp grounds and possible military campgrounds I have the National camp ground pass that gets me either free or really cheap spots for National and military campgrounds & sites. My toughest issue is the mindset learning how to live this lifestyle. Not going from point to point on a time schedule but rather going where the wind blows me. Any suggestions or thoughts please share what u can. I am 68 single & still want my adventures My last two years of teaching were in an Eskimo village 09-00 on the tundra in Alaska Only way in or out was by Bush pilot or the ice river highway so I am experienced living out there . Including driving from Virginia to Alaska in a BMW convertible. Now that was cramped and quite the toot LOL Thanks in advance If the pic came through true camping up on the tundra
costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the group!!

Have not seen any posts from those with tents, but perhaps there are some with thoughts to share.

Good Luck, safe travels...
Old 01-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see several folks with Jeeps and a popup tent setup on top.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote