Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
One of the guys I work with drives one and likes it well enough. 240 Hp/400+ ftlbs of torque ought to move the kind of trailer I think you're looking at just fine.
Cool i am going to check them out soon. unfortunately, i live in a small town in KY, only 1 RAM dealer and they only have 1 vehicle in stock (and its single cab). gonna head out after xmas and check a few out a few hours away tho
Nomadnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Nomad, Our TT is a 2013 Sunnybrook Harmony 21FBS. Sunnybrook was swallowed up by Winnebago in 2012, our TT has the Winnie sticker on it too. Sunnybrook made the very best trailers, IMHO. The early (2013-2014) winnebago TT's are worth a look, I don't know how much they have dumbed them down since the Sunnybrook days. As for your truck, go out to a few dealers and take a test ride, see if you can handle it as your daily driver. With a larger than 21' TT or any 5ver, you will be stuck with a truck. Think it through, go shopping with it, in and out of parking lots, backroads, freeways. Gas stations. Just see how you fit with a truck before you jump.
Thanks for the advice! I think i was under the wrong impression that as long as a vehicle was "rated" to pull a load, it would be ok. Wrong lol.. there is a lot more to factor in. A 1.5 ton truck seems to be the least I could probably get away with (safely) for what I want to do so I'm starting to look at those options I do have friends who pull TT's with SUV's and have no issues whatsoever, but since I want to travel as a lifestyle, I (hesitantly) agree that a full size truck would be the best investment for me thanks for all the info!
Nomadnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #31

Looking to tow - Not good at math

Hi
I am looking at purchasing a Jayco Jay Flight 24RKS or something very similar as it meets my needs. I have the specs and have looked at 2 vehicles for towing. Would like some helpful input.

Trailer Specs exterior length 28' 3" (not sure if that includes hitch)
unload weight 4885
dry hitch 530
GVWR 7000
CCC 2135

Vehicle Choices Towing capacity
Honda Ridegline 3500 2WD 5000 AWD
Ford F150 7500 282 hspr 3.5 L V6 base engine
8500 325 eco boost 2.7 L V6
12 200 375 eco boost 3.5 L V6

Will be full timing by staying in locations for 2-4months at a time.
I have been downsizing for a year; not used or thought of using in 3-4 months it gets donated.
I will be traveling with a dog (30lb) and a cat.

RARAR
Old 12-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #32

This Alphabet soup, as you called it, are ratings, capacities, and limits which should not be exceed. Very complicated, but can be figured out. GVWR as you have read is the total weight the vehicle is rated to weigh - with everything you carry inside or on the hitch. 2 F150 trucks with the same GVWR may not carry the same amount of stuff because of options and add ons. That CD changer behind the seat weighs 5 lbs. , those chrome tow mirrors weigh 3 lbs more than the stock, bucket seats and center console weigh more than the bench seat.
Variables that cause you to need to know the actual weight of the vehicle fully loaded - ready to go to be able to figure out what you can add to the hitch and still be safe. Glad you care enough to learn about this. Also better to have too much TV than not enough. That said, to the second poster asking about the 4 trucks, I would choose one of the last 2 because of the trailer GVWR and having a buffer if it becomes loaded down over time. I can speak from experience, campers get heavier over time as you add stuff and hardly ever take stuff out.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #33

Shout Out - NFlcamper

2 F150 trucks with the same GVWR may not carry the same amount of stuff because of options and add ons. That CD changer behind the seat weighs 5 lbs. , those chrome tow mirrors weigh 3 lbs more than the stock, bucket seats and center console weigh more than the bench seat.

This is the best answer I have read yet!! I drove a mil vehicle towing a genny trailer but all the math was already done for me. Converting to civilian towing is a challenge. I never thought of the extra's of vehicle packages and add ons.

I can totally see an RV getting heavier as you go. I imagine weighing as you move around would be a good thing. I also like the idea of not towing at max.

to you
Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
There are several weights you need to understand if you're going to tow safely.

GVWR is just the maximum weight your vehicle is allowed to be. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That's it...the SUV, people, fuel, pets, tools, stuff, whatever and the tongue weight of your trailer all added up can't be more than that number.

Your payload is the GVWR less the empty weight of your particular vehicle. The manufacturer has helpfully placed a bright yellow sticker in the door telling you what it is as it left the factory. Be careful: vehicles tend to gain weight as they get older. If you're close, take a test drive to a scale and get the accurate weight of a used vehicle. It's easy and cheap.

GTW is just the GVWR of your trailer. Gross Trailer Weight

GCWR is the maximum allowed weight of your SUV and trailer. Gross Combined Weight Rating.

RAWR and FAWR are the maximum weights you can put on your rear axle and front axle, respectively. Note that RAWR plus FAWR is almost always greater than GVWR-- this does not mean you can travel heavier than GVWR just because you're at or under RAWR and FAWR. Your trailer will have maximum axle ratings as well-- and these will be critical in a lightweight trailer that can be towed by a SUV.

Tongue weight: the weight your trailer places on the trailer ball and is carried by your SUV. Typically 10-15% of GTW. Your hitch will have a maximum tongue weight allowed for both weight carrying and weight distributing.

Those are the critical weights you need to know, respect, and abide by for your trailer and TV combination.
I think of it like trying on a fitted dress- or a suit for the guys. Each part has to fit individually, and you have to be able to walk, sit stand and bend over without ripping anything. You need to be under each limit and have a little room for hills, wind or bad roads.
KathyinDB is offline   Reply With Quote