Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #1

Why... was it too small.. or too big

The RV people.. .sheesh..!!!

Rather than ask what the right size is... how about I ask..

Why was the rig too small?

Why was the rig too big?

What features would you drop and what features would you chose, the next time?

We all have very different styles and tastes, so I thought phrasing thee questions this way would be more useful to me..

I am 3 or 4 months out from purchasing, and although I have a good idea of what I am going to get, it does not hurt to get as much feedback as I can...

Cheers
RvNaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no right size for everyone. What one likes, the other dislikes.

The way we tell people to shop is to first determine if you are full time or a weekend/vacation user. Next find a few RV lots and visit the different size units. Tell the salesman to get lost and you will find him when you have questions.

Now sit in the RV as if you live there and see where you will store pots and pans, food, silverware, etc in the kitchen. Pretend to fix a meal and see how the lay out works.
Now sit in the bathroom. Is there room to sit on the toilet and also wash your face, take a shower, store your linens, etc?

Now see if the sleeping area has storage for clothes, can the bead be easily access for changing the sheets. The corner beds are horrible to get sheets on. If the only sleeping area is an over cab bunk, will you be able to climb in and out. Horrible to get bedding on.

Best advice is rent a couple of different types to see how you like it. Also, DO NOT buy new the first time, because the first RV is seldom the right one. The depreciation on an RV is horrible the first year. Look for a higher quality 2 to 5 year old gently used unit. Once you find one, have it thoroughly inspected by a certified RV inspector. Have the independent inspector check a new unit as well.

Make sure the RV dealer knows that you will not accept a unit until it is fully demonstrated that all systems are operating properly and that the unit is not 100% correct. Do not accept a promise that it will be fixed when you have to bring it in for warranty work. DO NOT take the unit off the lot until it is 100% correct.

You will get better suggestions if you told us if you are looking for a motorhome, travel trailer or a 5th wheel unit.

Have fun shopping.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

You will get better suggestions if you told us if you are looking for a motorhome, travel trailer or a 5th wheel unit.

Have fun shopping.

..and you didn't answer the questions...

I am aiming for a very specific unit.. I have two brands an models picked out. I have researched platforms, sizes, styles, lengths, ages.. etc etc etc for a couple of months..

What I want to know, is from your own personal experience, what were the mistakes you made, what decisions would you have done different.

I realize that we are all different and will act and react differently..

..but thanks for your feedback and suggestions, as I am and will be doing all of that...

..but what about *your* experiences... ?
Old 08-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #4

...very good chance your "first" RV wont be the "right" RV for you--so good luck trying to figure it out as few of us have??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #5

.... Bigger it is the less places you’re gonna be able to squeeze into....
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSimonds View Post
..I am aiming for a very specific unit.. I have two brands an models picked out. I have researched platforms, sizes, styles, lengths, ages.. etc etc etc for a couple of months..
So tell us something about what you're aiming for, why and what your plans are for RVing, where you'll be going, etc. If you plan on staying mostly in full service RV parks, your needs will be a lot different than if you have more rustic plans, state parks, dry-camping, etc. Are you a couple, do you have kids? All this comes into play.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #7

Requirements change.
We started with a tent and two kids. Kids loved it. Parents not so much.
A pop up and a couple of TTs. Now have a fifth and it is great. Tows well. We are selling our sticks and bricks and will be into a DP later this year. At least that is the plan.
C-19 might have other plans for us.

What do we hate? Small kitchen, small bathroom. Limited space around the bed. Limited storage.

What do we like? Comfortable bed, ease of towing, ease of hookup, good sized tanks.
It is a great vacation trailer but too small to FT in.

What would we do differently. Likely not much due to budget restraints at the times of purchase.

Hope this helps
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Actually I don't see that the OP needs to give any information about what his plans for camping are. He's not asking what you think he should buy. He's asking what you thought was wrong with your previous RVs that made you want to change. By us answering that question he's hoping to run across some possible issue that he hasn't thought of yet (I assume). No extra info needed from the OP to answer what was wrong - or not quite right - with your previous RVs.

On ours, which was our first, it was little things. The SIZE of the RV was fine, but some of the things weren't quite right.
The biggest was the size of the kitchen counter. It was SO hard to prep a meal there, even though nearly all cooking is done outside on the grill - there just wasn't enough space to work. That never even occurred to us when we first looked at it.

Next was the fact that to turn on many of the lights you had to reach up and flip the switch on the light itself. Not a problem for me, but my 5' tall wife couldn't reach the ceiling fixtures without a step. The same with the fan in the ceiling, she couldn't turn it on or off without getting a step to stand on. (I installed switches for some of the lights and installed a fan with a remote to work around that).

Our first RV didn't have a slide. It was very difficult to do walk past the other person if we were both up moving around, and neither of us are big people.

The microwave was mounted above her head higher than she was comfortable with, when taking hot things out of it.

When we were shopping for a new RV we came THIS close to buying a Winnebago 29VE. It was 85% perfect. All the lights had switches, cabinets are low enough to accessible for a short person, decent counter space, nice low microwave. It was great.
But the couch is only about 5' long (I don't know the exact measurement). When we're in the RV we often sit at opposite ends of the couch with our legs on the couch to read books. That couch wasn't going to work for that and there wasn't another 'lounging' area in that RV. We new we'd eventually grow to really dislike that, so we let that one pass. So really, the 29ve was too short to have a decent sized couch - everything else was fine or was easily corrected by us (I would have had to install a fan with a remote so that she could turn it on and off, same as before - but that would have been easy).

Other RVs were immediately removed from consideration because of too little kitchen counter space (sometimes true even in 40 footers). Or the microwave was mounted on the ceiling, far too high for her. Or it had a tiny shower. Or it didn't have a walk around bed. Or the storage was such that you could pack food or clothes, but not both. Or any of the other 'must have' 'must not have' things that were on our list.

I don't expect any RV to be perfect, but there are things we've learned that we just don't want to deal with, other things we're flexible on.
Good luck with your hunt.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
So tell us something about what you're aiming for, why and what your plans are for RVing, where you'll be going, etc. If you plan on staying mostly in full service RV parks, your needs will be a lot different than if you have more rustic plans, state parks, dry-camping, etc. Are you a couple, do you have kids? All this comes into play.

I have all of that pretty much figured out,, but it is not germane to the questions... What are the things YOU did that you would not do again or change... what mistakes did you make? Why were the issues you had the way they were?

Old 08-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #10

Our first RV was a bumper pull at 19’. It had no slides and no couch. It was easy to tow but it got very crowded for 2 people. Those shortcomings were resolved with our second TT which was a rear kitchen Cougar with a sofa slide out. It also had the best shower which was a corner shower. The sink was in the bedroom. I also loved how the hamper was in the basement with a hatch to drop the dirty clothes down. My heart attack 10 years ago made a TT too much to setup with the lifting of the heavy hitch stuff along with the hand cranking of the stab jacks.

Our next RV was a 2008 Winnebago Aspect. I loved not having a huge box overhead and how the slide out didn’t interfere with moving the driver’s seat. Counter space was very limited and I missed having a propane oven. I found the toilet was placed awkwardly to get the paperwork done and the shower was too small, especially after the corner shower in our Cougar. I am 6’ and still didn’t mind the rear corner bed but admittedly, it was a pain to make. The u shaped dinette was the most comfortable I’ve ever sat in and having a moveable chair was great.

Then my wife became ill and was quadriplegic so we had to sell the RV because she couldn’t get into it anymore. Sadly, she passed after 2 years. I told her that after she passed, I was going to sell the house and full time in an RV. I had her blessing.

Reality came around so I did sell the house but I rented an apartment and bought last year a brand new Entegra Esteem 29V. It is 32.5’. It has 2 slides. I changed out the sofa bed for a 2 recliner sofa and added stuff I wanted, aluminum wheels, TPMS, satellite, to name a few. I like everything about it. One thing I didn’t see was that despite the size of the compartments they couldn’t hold the weight of some of the heavier things I needed such as a filled spare propane tank. I was able to reinforce one compartment to carry it but that shouldn’t be necessary. The other issue I found was that there was no side valences in the bedroom. If you had the lights on while showering or dressing you were putting on a show. That was resolved by ordering them from Entegra. Sorry this is so long but you asked.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #11

We started in a 5er in 1999 which I was more than happy with. Shiny new toy syndrome and what you haven't had you don't miss thinking back on it. Island Kitchen and easy access to bathroom, fridge etc when slides in. In 2003 (4 years later) hubby decided he wanted a Class A MH. Priorities were access to bed, toilet, kitchen with slides in, and for me a huge thing was plenty of prep room in the kitchen, being homebody cook/baker. We rarely to this day eat out unless sampling something very local specific to an area we are in.

With our MH the biggest negative for me is the bathroom being quite tight = can't easily towel dry in there, and as we are getting older the step up into the shower. Being short I also struggle accessing some of the cupboards = catch 22 because if we put in slide out trays etc would lose some storage space/height.

Overall have loved our 2003 Fleetwood Southwind MH, even with having replaced engine twice!!! Hubby gets frustrated and wants a diesel for going up hills easier, I liked the initial $100,000+ savings, and as time has gone on the fact that we know the nuances of her for doing some of the repairs/maintenance ourselves. Better the devil you know thinking here!

Replaced ourselves the Nevercold fridge (trimmed it out & also old tube TV with flat screen) when it died with a non-expensive residential fridge freezer (best thing ever!), and adding 1000w solar and 800ah battery bank, have loved loved loved being totally off grid.

Find our 100gal fresh and 50/50 gal grey and black tanks suit our past 15 years of RVing lifestyle (95% boondock/dry camp), perfectly. We have onboard washer/dryer combo that's now basically a waste and would have preferred separate due to creasing clothes and teeny capacity when in early years we used CG's/hook ups more. Still use it on the very very odd occasion we are on FHU's. Personally love our central vacuum and kick plate we added in kitchen for ease.

We have a second wardrobe with 2 drawers underneath opposite the bathroom door and we have found that so nice for either when guests on board or for storing our outdoor jackets, extra bedding etc. Love that and would miss it.

Storage really isn't bad, including big side bays with hooks installed for hubby's too many fishing rods and accessories! I know we unnecessarily carry more than we really need/use, but like many bigger is better LOL.

Carpet is looking worn now and I'd prefer none, but always told you'd never guess our rig is the age she is so ...........

Hubby been looking at newer rigs on Youtube for the longest time (hobby of his me thinks LOL), and he barely knows how to turn his iPad on so I know all these new techy coaches with "more to go wrong on" I'd be expected to gain knowledge on the systems. This in and of itself is really putting me off going newer albeit they sure look pretty in the showrooms. Hubby is Biggeritis where as I love our 37ft length and really wouldn't want to go any longer. Also because I love being off the beaten path so to speak, and have untold mini arguments with hubby venturing down roads/areas we probably shouldn't go, I know with a new rig, it'd be a definite no go. His shiny new beast auto protect would be kicking in moreso.

There are so many reasons today that's holding me back from his wanting newer and bigger. Sigh .....

Overall, we all have to accept some compromises and for me it's really been the bathroom size, step up into shower and being a shorty reaching the back of cabinetry easier. The latter over time, I just keep commonly used items within easier access, and have a mini step stool. Also I find the dinette booth cushions have terribly compacted and are uncomfortable as well, I took out the rocker chair (just don't like them!) and have more space for storage shoes, extra drinking waters etc.

Oh almost forgot, double triple check how the foam wrap is on your captains chairs. On the arms metal came through on both of ours tearing the leather and were very poorly prepped with the foam.

Hopefully OP, this is the kind of response on likes/dislikes/challenges you were looking for.

Happy & Safe Travels whatever rig you end up with. It's about the journey not just the destination. Well that's how we roll anyway
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSimonds View Post
..and you didn't answer the questions...

I am aiming for a very specific unit.. I have two brands an models picked out. I have researched platforms, sizes, styles, lengths, ages.. etc etc etc for a couple of months..

What I want to know, is from your own personal experience, what were the mistakes you made, what decisions would you have done different.

I realize that we are all different and will act and react differently..

..but thanks for your feedback and suggestions, as I am and will be doing all of that...

..but what about *your* experiences... ?
And you didn't ask the questions or provide enough info for anyone to give more than very generic advice.

If you've got specific brands and models picked out, share that with the forum and you'll get more specific and helpful answers with regard to your concerns.

I have a smaller Class C. It's my "training wheels" RV. I've found I don't like dressing in the 2ft x 2 ft space between the bed and everything else. I'm not tall or wide, but it's cramped. Wardrobe storage for things needing hangers is very limited.

The dinette cushions can be deceptive torture devices for your lumbar spine and gluteus maximus. See how far down the cushions will compress and leave you with no support or comfort.

Suitability of kitchen space, appliances, etc depends on how/what you cook. I like to eat well but had to cut back on the variety of cooking gear I carry. Double/triple duty is important in my small coach.

All of these are very specific to YOUR needs and desires. Since I flunked the Evelyn Woods Mind Reading classes, you'll have to tell us what does and doesn't work for you.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #13

We have had two totally different RVs, and both were perfect. The first was a Fleetwood Jamboree Class C. 26.5 foot with no slides. Kids were teens and we used it to drag our jet skis to all the west coast lakes. Lots of sleeping space, not much storage. Small holding tanks, but used hook ups most of the time. Small enough to use on boat ramps, and definitely better than tents.

Second one is a Fleetwood Bounder 33C. Couple of slides, 3 TVs, Home Theater System, residential fridge, King Size bed, big holding tanks, big hot water heater (gas/electric). Used mainly to travel in the west visiting friends and grandkids. We tow our Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Combination of boondocks and RV parks. Even use it for some work travel when able. It does have three other sleeping areas that are dinette, sofa and loft bed that drops over the driver area. Love the view from the huge front windshield. Very usable with slides in, but like a small luxury apartment with the slides out..
Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #14

I have a 28 ft class A without slides, and travel solo about 1/3 of the time, my longest solo trip to date was about 3 weeks. In general for solo travel I find my coach plenty big, maybe even excessive. When I was on my way home from a 2 week long solo trip a couple of years ago, I noted that out of the 7ish possible seating positions in my coach, 2 front captains chairs, a 3rd captains chair, J sofa with integrated recliner, and 2 top kitchen table with chairs, that during the entire trip i only ever sat in 3 of the seating positions, the drivers seat, the recliner position on the sofa, and the rear kitchen table chair. If traveling exclusively solo I would probably be happy in the 26 ft long shorter floor plan version of the same coach I currently have, which does away from with the seating position across from the sofa where my 3rd captains chair is and moves the dining table to that space from the kitchen, and makes the kitchen smaller moving the refrigerator to the opposite wall.

What I would not be happy with is the nearly 1,000 pound less cargo carrying capacity, as I am typically within 700 pounds of my max weight when loaded down for a longer solo trip.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote