Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #15

Are you full-timing it? Or just a weekend warrior. Single or someone traveling with you? Boondocking or RV parks? No 2 people are the same. Each scenario will present different needs.

If I had to do it again I would have went with a Class C instead of a Class A. I like the small Class A but I find it difficult to find shops that will work on the mechanicals. I stopped in at 5 or 6 shops that had Class C's in their lot, working on them. They wanted nothing to do with my Class A. In my mind the money spends the same way. I'm guessing the C's are just easier to work on. My next one will be a downgrade to a C. If you only go out handful of times a year and have a local mechanic it probably wouldn't matter what you bought.

So, yes, how you plan to use it is a definite consideration. How you will be using it will determine size, needs, etc. It doesn't really matter what someone else would "like" to have or what they "don't like". Only you can answer the question of how you will be using the rig and what YOU can tolerate not having or what you will love having.

You mentioned we all have different styles. But, you didn't mention what YOUR style is. So you will read many differing opinions based on many different styles.

Just me, but how you plan to use this RV will determine what you need. My needs, likes, what I would like to have, are pretty much useless to the post.

Jim58
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
Just me, but how you plan to use this RV will determine what you need. My needs, likes, what I would like to have, are pretty much useless to the post.
Jim58
HI Jim... thanks for the reply.. I have already done hundreds of hours of research and reading on how I intend to use my RV, including reams of potential gotchas from one end of the spectrum to the other....

What I am looking for, as someone put it well in another reply, is what your experience has been with your own journey... the bit you tossed about class As being harder to get people to work on is a valid point and just the kind of thing I would like to hear about... I'm still going to go for a class A, but it is something to remember and more incentive to fix things before they break, especially if one finds a good mechanic...

I'm not interested in your likes so much as your lessons learned that I might have missed.. like your above comment...

fyi I am going for a 24' class A and am going full time...

thnx
RvNaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:04 PM   #17

Have used and owned various RV's in the past, ended up buying a 28' Class C with no slides.

I am beginning to suspect that I might have been wise to find the exact same size unit, but with one slide-out. Sometimes the feeling of being in an airplane - long and narrow - is confining.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
My wife and I have changed RVs several times. It's almost embarrassing to admit how many. Here are some of the reasons for change... Obviously all these issues don't apply to the same coach.

Entry door too low, I hit my head sometimes.
Hard to drive, blown around by cross winds and 18 wheelers.
Refrigerator was too small.
Refrigerator was mounted under counter level. Had to sit on floor to see what's inside.
Microwave was mounted too tall. Wife could not see in it.
Hated wet bath. Takes too long to dry bathroom after shower.
Wanted a bigger shower.
Outside storage wasn't enough. Doors hinged the wrong way.
Wanted more counter space.
Suspension was too bouncy and rough.
Wanted bigger beds.
Wanted more beds to we can take friends with us.
Wanted recliners, not jack knife couch.
Wanted 2 air conditioners.
Wanted heat pumps instead of AC only.
Wanted a coach that rattled less.
Wanted a smaller coach that handled better. Large coach (40') was hard to maneuver in RV parks without hitting things.
Wanted a better quality build.

You need to think about how you are going to use your RV. Are you full time?
My buddy likes to go somewhere and sit for 2 or 3 weeks. My wife likes moving every day or two.

I just noticed that you are going with a Class A that's 24' long. If it's a Thor product be very careful. Also Class A's on a F53 chassis will need suspension mods, but can be made to drive safely. It will never be comfortable. If you mention what type of chassis you have chosen, I might have brand specific recommendations.

Our last decision put us in a Winnebago View. 26' and Sprinter based.
Other sized coaches were from 20' to 40'.

Good luck with your decision.

Jerry
Old 08-08-2020, 06:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
My wife and I have changed RVs several times. It's almost embarrassing to admit how many. Here are some of the reasons for change... Obviously all these issues don't apply to the same coach.

Good luck with your decision.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

It is post like your that can make a difference.. like the fridge on the floor thing.. ugh...

I have found the RV brand and model I want.. a 24' safari trek with the GM Vortec plant.

cheers
RvNaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #20

We think of our MH as a mobile cabin which allows us to stay in cool places, at 38ft I could probably go to a 40ft but that would be it.

A buddy of mine just purchased a really small single axel TT with fixed bed, small kitchen, dinette and decent size bathroom. I really like it but for us there would be murder one rainey day
Old 08-08-2020, 06:51 AM   #21

I can only go by this. I purchased and RV for my son and I to go to the race track and maybe a couple of weekend trips. It was perfect for us

Then...... I got remarried two years after that purchase. That is when I found out my choice of RV was completely wrong.

The actual size of the unit was good. 31 feet. She liked the layout.

The fridge was too small. And didn't perform well. It actually is working just fine.

There were no slides on the unit for more space. The generator mounted under the couch was causing issues. Was never given a real reason.....

The TV was not in the right position as this was brought up when we were stuck in a three day rain at Watkins Glen. And the lack of slides was brought up once again.

Not enough bathroom storage, i.e. medicine cabinet.

The bed was a queen. We are both over 6 feet tall. It was fine for just me. Also no bedroom TV.

The sink fixtures both kitchen and bathroom were frowned upon.

The cabinet colors were of the wrong shade..

So next time I am going class A with residential fridge. She wants an outdoor fridge as well but I just do not see the need.

At least a driver side front slide and bedroom slide for a king bed and a bedroom TV. She wants a full side slide but that just scares me....

Better "fixtures' I guess and lighter cabinet colors if possible. Also mandatory two ACs for cooling.

Generator near the rear of the coach. 5500 or better with auto start because of the fridge.

More batteries for dry camping at the track. Maybe that why she didn't like where the generator was because I had to run it several times as all people have to do to keep the batteries topped off at the track.

Full body paint.

And NO rubber roof.......
Old 08-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #22

At some point, wouldn't it be easier to just replace the . . . ah . . . umm . . . never mind.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
At some point, wouldn't it be easier to just replace the . . . ah . . . umm . . . never mind.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing 😉
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Happy wife, happy life. Or so he hopes LOL.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
I would guess we did it perfectly. We still have the same RV 18+ years later.

No, we would not do it differently....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:25 AM   #26

Quote:
:

Yeah. Probably.. . It would probably cost me more to do that then to look for a unit that is a bit more other activity friendly. The unit was never meant to be my forever RV. Just a starter. She has also booked some great vacations that I never thought of going on.

And as mentioned she is 6 foot tall and blonde and enjoys being at the races and has asked to travel farther to other venues to add to our schedule. So I do have that going for me......
Old 08-18-2020, 06:49 AM   #27
laj

Quote:

yup[emoji848]
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #28

Why... was it too small.. or too big

Op... excellent questions. Started in the ‘80s with a TT then Class C when we had kids for more sleeping spaces. As soon as the kids were gone we went to a Class A gas 32 ft 2 slides. That gave us more livable space due to living area going all the way to the windshield. Kept it for 11 years and loved it. Perfect bed slide/ split bath / front dinette for us and that great V-10. Then instead of upgrading the old tube TVs and replacing the old carpet we went for a very nice lightly used DP.
The DP was a great ride with plenty of room, washer/ dryer etc. We had to adjust to not being able to get into a few of our favorite camp sites but it was ok. I’m not diesel literate so maintenance was expensive and I really began to have concerns about problems that could cost a bundle. And after 11 years in the smaller gasser it was just more than we needed. Kept it 3 years then came “The Downsizing”.
Looked at small Mercedes class c etc and with pets for us just too small. Went with a 27 ft class A slightly used. After 16 months (of which 8 of them the RV was in the shop), of extremely harsh ride mainly due to short wheelbase, poor workmanship, slide failures and other problems (dash and front cap broke loose) I got rid of it. Size was ok and liked that I could park in a lot more spots than the larger RV and if I could have actually driven it comfortably and it would have held together I may have kept it. Then we found our current Tiffin 32 ft gas. Same layout as our original class A so it feels like home. Perfect size for us ( we do extended trips not full time). All the cargo capacity we need and more. Great tow capacity. Newer V-10 with the 6 speed is great. Residential fridge is great. Plenty of holding tank capacity ( we don’t boondock but often visit state parks). Only things I don’t like is the weakling electric awning and the Schwintek bedroom slide. But I’m not sure you can get any other type awning or small slide mechanism now from any manufacturer.
So there you go - reasons for my changes over the years. Hope my experience helps confirm your decision.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote