Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #127

Something to consider would be a shotgun with a pistol grip and the shortest barrel allowed. Any gunshot can fix you up. Yes you will lose accuracy but you are talking about such a short distance that it won't matter. Odds are good you will never actually need it, but it surely could also give you the peace of mind.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #128

Personally I would want the widest possible shot pattern. Chances are no one is a threat at a distance. If you need distance have a couple of shells scored just behind the wadding. The shot gun shell then becomes a solid projectile.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #129

Scary stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
Personally I would want the widest possible shot pattern. Chances are no one is a threat at a distance. If you need distance have a couple of shells scored just behind the wadding. The shot gun shell then becomes a solid projectile.
First of all, messing with shotgun shells is flirting with blowing your barrel apart, and maybe your hand off. Don't think about it.

Second, remember this: the fastest that a shot pattern will spread is about 1" for every yard the shot travels. It just can't spread apart any faster, even with a totally "open" barrel (no choke). So in your RV, you will MAYBE get a shot pattern to open up to 6" by the time it travels half the length of a large coach. More likely, for a true defensive shot, your assailant is 10 feet away (3 yards), and your shot pattern will be the size of a teacup by the time it gets to him.

As so many have already stated, gun ownership and use should be accompanied by knowledge and practice. If you think you might have to use a gun to protect yourself, try practicing shooting it in tight quarters, in the dark, at close range. See what you can hit (or not). This method of self-defense is NOT for the faint-of-heart.

I have also said this before: the best thing about a shotgun is that WHEN you miss a shot (not if), the shot will spread out, diffuse, and use up its energy getting out of your RV, meaning that it will likely not endanger your fellow campers. The same cannot be said of a pistol or rifle bullet, which will go through many walls before it stops.
Gthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #130

Solo Rvers Club
When you get down to it, we're no safer in stick and brick homes or on the streets of suburbia, yet we don't see people carrying arms around for protection--at least not where I live. As I stated, above, I do carry a taser gun, but I got it for when I walk my dog on a trail (usually isolated), along with bear spray. For dangerous stray dogs, or perhaps a bear or wild pig or any four legged creature that becomes aggressive. That doesn't mean I wouldn't use it on a two legged creature, but I rarely think of running into that while traveling.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #131

I am not worried about gun barrels, I am out to save my life. The only one I am ever going to have. I have scored dozens of shot gun shells and have not had a problem yet. However I agree it is not for the novice.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #132

Bear spray and a gun. Take the NRA course to carry concealed, it's excellent. Horandy personal protection ammo. Info readily available online re the state handgun laws.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #133

instead of a gun how about a man?
Edward01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward01 View Post
instead of a gun how about a man?
Is that an offer????????
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #135

Smith and Wesson governor
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiybrneyes View Post
Is that an offer????????

Don't take the man offer.

A bullet in the chamber will never leave you for a prettier gun....

And even after years of your nagging, he'll be right there waiting when you need him most...
Wetboy5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
When you get down to it, we're no safer in stick and brick homes or on the streets of suburbia, yet we don't see people carrying arms around for protection--at least not where I live...
I, and many of my friends carry, right around you. Have for years. And our non-carrying friends NEVER know. That's the point. A properly armed society is a discreetly armed society...

Just cuz you don't see it, doesn't mean it don't exist.
Wetboy5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #138
Community Administrator

There is a number of posts here about guns which is in violation of our rules. Here are a few threads and websites which may assist. Any future discussions will be deleted.
Thanks for understanding.

The subject of firearms and RV-ing has been previously discussed in several threads.

Information regarding having & transporting firearms can be found in threads http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/firea...ort-73836.html and http://www.irv2.com/forums/f98/guns-...ml#post1023547 in numerous other threads via a Search, Canada Welcomes You! for Canada, Guns are Illegal in Mexico | U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, Mexico for Mexico, as well as on Handgunlaw.us

Thank you.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #139

Infractions?

Moderator, please post a link to the place where the (broken) rules are available, so we can see what infractions caused your response. It doesn't appear that anyone used profanity, and certainly self-protection is on-topic. I for one am puzzled.
Gthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #140

After reading the above post, I went in search of the forum's rules.

Could not find, either.

Please post link, thanks.

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote