Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #29

My wife does all the driving of our fifth wheel. I've driven everything up to an M60 tank before but I now drive a bicycle to and from work and since my last deployment have had little to no interest in driving. She took lessons from a Texas cowboy who showed her in a parking lot how to backup etc. She doesn't like it when a crowd gathers at the RV park to watch her backup, that still makes her nervous but she does it.

Forest River Sierra 35'11" 5th
Flametheus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #30

We have a 38' coach and I do drive it and back it into spots by myself, etc. A lot of times I'll drive the coach to the campground we're going to and my husband will meet me there later in the evening (we usually go Friday after work). In fact, I'm doing that tomorrow and will have the afternoon at the campground while Dave's at work.

And I do know what happens when you have to slam on the brakes. Not long after we got the coach, some *idiot* in a little tiny car cut us off, then literally slammed on the brakes right in front of us while we were doing about 60. Thankfully the coach stopped in time, but the people around us that saw what the kid did were scrambling to get out of the way and give us room if we needed it. Scared us half to death, but gave us some good faith in our brakes. Thankfully I wasn't driving!

1994 Newmar Kountry Aire, better known as Alfred E. Newmar
DKispert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #31

My wife pulled our pop-up, and now logs more miles pulling our trailer than I do. She is not crazy about backing it up or driving through the mountains, so I usually do those aspects.

As a side note, when I am teaching the basics to new RVers, the women usually do much better. Too many of us men don't listen, because we already know it all!

2002 25' Mallard Trailer
kampingkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Linda never was interested in driving the P/U with the TT's or 5r. But she said she wanted to learn to hook up the Explorer and drive the MH. So, I took her to a local high school and she drove around for about an hour. She had a hard time judging the width. Curbs, trees and street signs got really close to the px side mirror. She wants to keep practicing and now wants to move out to the interstate.

I'll keep driving and let her tend to the kids???? Maybe that is why she wants to learn to drive?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We drove long haul big rigs together for 10 years and I drove when it was my shift. We did 5 hour splits. My DH had a stroke last year and doesn't have good reflex on his right side so I've driven every mile we've gone in the past 16 months. Traded up from an F-250 with a fiver to a 35 ft Dolphin a month ago. It's important for you to be able to drive the rig ladies. You're smart and you can do it!
tatcha n reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bobby C:
Linda never was interested in driving the P/U with the TT's or 5r. But she said she wanted to learn to hook up the Explorer and drive the MH. So, I took her to a local high school and she drove around for about an hour. She had a hard time judging the width. Curbs, trees and street signs got really close to the px side mirror. She wants to keep practicing and now wants to move out to the interstate.

I'll keep driving and let her tend to the kids???? Maybe that is why she wants to learn to drive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you LET her drive in a parking lot for an hour and based on that have decided that she tends the kids and you do all the driving? Don't suppose that some more practice and some time out on the interstate might just help? Of course she had some trouble judging distances when just starting - that's what practice is for. I realize that you did it right the very first instance that you drove the rig - but for others it takes a little practice - might even take 2 or 3 hours! And I realize that you are going to say you were saying it tongue in cheek. Guess what, after a while it gets tiresome hearing guys give all sorts of reasons why their wife isn't able to drive. She can drive - she has already proven that - she just needs a little more practice. Off course we all realize she won't be as great as you - - but then I would venture to say that there are probably some things she does better than you.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
No, you have it all wrong. My wike is very special. She is a CPA that chooses to stay at home a raise our 4 kids. She only wants to become familiar with the new MH because we are now travling more than the 4 hours away from home. In the past, if something happened to me, she could have driven the rig home, or called a friend or family member to get it back. You are off base in your assessment of my situtation.

The next step is to have her drive on the interstate and highways because she wants to, and to not let her first experience be because she had to.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #36

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Bobby - sounds to me like you're cooperating with what she WANTS to do ... not with what you're LETTING her do ...taking it one step at a time. At least she does want to learn and isn't being coerced. By the way - WAR EAGLE!!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
GraciesMom, Thanks! I am encouraged that he has ask to learn the systems and want to drive, follow through with it and still wants to learn more. Since I have a severe bee sting allergy and everytime we go out, have the possibility that she will have to drive the rig home, she realizes the importance of knowing how.

The bottom line, we love rving as a family, I like to be able to make it possible and my wife (who is smarter and more capable than I) just loves raising our kids, being together, and building memories.

And yes, War Eagle!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:25 AM   #38

Be nice kids !!!!!!!!!!!!! getting a little heated around here.

Happymi
Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #39

Geez! You call that heated?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Happymi:
Be nice kids !!!!!!!!!!!!! getting a little heated around here.

Happymi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
I learned to drive our 04 35 ft Suncruiser. Had to get anal about it at first. (What if he got sick while away on our 3-month hiatus?!) He finally realized he just doesn't like being a passenger (in a car either) but has tried to overcome it. However, that being said..I did drive it so he could have a break. Last year, we traded up to a DP. Now we almost have to flip a coin to see who drives first!

He does a good job helping me back out of our driveway, so I usually drive it to the dealer -- by myself. I have driven narrow 2-lane roads (the road to the east entrance to the Grand Canyon for one) but that's not my favorite thing.

I've learned how to hook up to the electricity, etc. but he usually does it while I do the leveling and put the slides out.

I've seen a lot of women driving campers by themselves....my hat's are off to you! Don't know that I would attempt it alone with a 39-footer, but give me a smaller one -- I'll be outta here!

True story: we met a couple at a TX park who live about a mile from us at home. She didn't drive. Didn't want to. Had no desire to. I egged her on about at least learning. That year, two days before departure date, he ended up with food poisoning....and they ended up staying about 3 extra days. He did the driving all the way home -- still sick the first few days. She has since learned to drive. Can do it if necessary.

Rose
Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #41

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE"> I can drive ours with and without the toad. Usually I drive it on the highway between rest areas. I don't like pulling it into gas stations or things like that...but I can if I need to. </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #42

I drive ours. Most often I get the "white knuckle" driving, i.e., all the mountains, cities and road construction. I rather enjoy the challenge and I can stay calm and don't stress out. DH has a cardiac condition and sometimes he doesn't feel like driving. If I didn't drive, we wouldn't go. I also do the boat towing and launching. If I didn't do it, it would take twice as long. We switch off whenever we want, but we don't usually drive long days anyway.

I think it's a good idea for a spouse/partner to know, but not everyone drives a car either, so I tend to be non-judgemental. I was lucky that my dad drove semi, so when I had problems or questions, he also helped me.

I think a driving course would be a great idea for those who are afraid and would like to learn, just so they can be more comfortable.

Dale

Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Scottiemom is offline   Reply With Quote