Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
After driving down the HOT roads in Arizona with my regular AC on in the cab of the rig and ROASTING, one of my traveling partners suggested that I turn on my generator, turn on my front AC and get it running, then crank the rig and drive on. Now - where is this mentioned in the OWNER'S MANUAL??? I never heard of this - but thank heavens IT WORKED. IT WORKED GREAT!! It was the nicest, coolest trip I've had in hot weather!

Anyone else learn anything on the road that you didn't know before? Don't be afraid to tell it here - we won't laugh!! (Will we?? )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I really did learn something new today and it was right here on one of the other threads..

Go see what I learned here... Tin Foil
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Something I learned this year as I spent the past 4 months(so far)snowbirding in my rig! Is we don't realy need as much stuff as we think we do!! When push comes to shove we can get by with a lot less for sure!!

I also learned that when one has a lot of free time to kill, we find out how much stuff we have missed, due to living the fast pace in a bussy working world !!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I learned not to try to dump a 60 gallon black tank into a 30 gallon blueboy.

Then I learned not to stand to close to the sewer hose when it comes off of the blue boy when dumping a 60 gallon black tank into a 30 gallon blue boy because it whips around in all directions like a runaway firehose.

Then I learned how to pick up a 30 gallon blue boy and throw it in the trash bin.

Then I learned how to strip down to my birthday suit and get a real cold spray wash with a garden hose on full force.

Then I learned what it was like to sleep outside on a picnic table, cause your wife can't stand the thought of sleeping with the Guy that tried to dump a 60 gallon black tank into a 20 gallon blue boy when the sewer hose came off.

Then I learned what it was like to fall asleep on a picnic table and have nightmares about a sewer hose coming off of a 30 gallon blueboy while dumping a 60 gallon black tank into a 30 gallon blueboy.

That was the first week of fulltiming, so I guess I learned that some days it was not going to be as much fun as I imagined!

A true story, honest to God!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

You have already been to the abyss, the rest will be a cake walk. Have fun.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #6

Jim - YUK!!!! I didn't have that quite bad of a time, but my t-bar did leak and when I pulled my hose out, I got dumped on from the knees down. I feel for ya!! Live and learn though, huh? And I'm sure you've learned it's even MORE fun than you imagined!! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #7

Overstuffed rig . . .

Al - everytime I go to Denver to visit my son in the summer, I put more stuff in my storage room out of my rig. If I haven't used it in the past year, I put it away. Of course I buy more stuff . . . . but that's ok, as long as I unload as much as I buy and put in . . . .
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #8

I learned (again) that the reason they call those supposed 'level' detector lights "idiot lights" is because you have to be an idiot to believe in them. I am still shaking my head at how propane and black water levels can go up and then down again, without any movement or anything having been changed!!

I also learned that Murphy's Law has a special impact on getting ready for fulltiming RV-ing...whatever can and will go wrong, will go wrong at least several times before you can move on to addressing the next issue...

It will be fun someday, right??

IM

PS Have been out of commission for some months with snow and more recently a little motorbike accident. Then the password changes defeated me awhile...
IslandMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #9

Welcome back!!

What happened on the bike???? Hope you're ok!

Hang in there - it's this way most all the time when you start a new adventure. At least the problems are happening now and not when you're out on the road.

Just GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY and go forth and PLAY!!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #10

Thanks for your concern, GM. I am a little battered and bruised but nothing really broken (on me) that will not heal.... My poor little bike bore the brunt of it and I had some of the damage repaired already in order to feel safe riding it again. The rest will have to be 'battle scars' LOL. Now, to get back in form and get this darned motorcycle licence passed and then I can leave. I am afraid to set new target dates but hopefully within a few weeks at the latest. I am due in New Brunswick, many thousands of miles from here regardless of what route I choose, in mid-June so gotta get this show on the road (finally!!)...and SOON!!

No extended warranties here such as you describe LOL... We Canadians live in the Dark Ages as far as RV-ing goes. It is hard even to get insurance. I am coming first to the US to get some automotive service done there. Soon I will have fixed everything fixable LOL so will need no warranty on my 1996 rig (that I still love!!)...

What is WIN?

IM
IslandMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #11

I learned that while the RV manufacturers are having a hard time. Apparently the dealers are not. I have been shopping and find most of them are quite busy, and about as obstinate as always. 75% do not bother to respond to e-mail inquiries.
Sorry to hear about you Bike accident IM.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #12

Upgrading

Now you're making me jealous Homer - your rig is two years younger than mine and I can't upgrade! What are you looking for???
Old 03-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #13

Hi GM: I don't know that I want to upgrade so much as I need to downsize. Just the cat and I do not need that much motor home any more. I love the thing, but would like something a little smaller like a "C". I have been dealing on Aspects and Cambria's. Drove a new one today, but did not like the floor plan. I think I am ready to get out on the road a bit more now, a smaller unit would make that easier to do. I am finding dealers just as hard headed as they always were. In fact the dealer I dealt with today,told me his business has never been better. Of course we all know about truth and dealers.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #14

RV Dealers -

I never buy anything new . . . too much depreciation. There are some spectacular deals on used RV's right now . . . check the websites . . . or PPL in Texas. Even Craig's list.

Good luck!!