Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #15

I'm still falling in love with my big green egg. Was worried it didn't have enough grill area but when smoking meat I can stack it in pretty well and end up with great results. I can crank the heat up to 800 and sear the perfect ribeye.
ChrisW0614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am having pretty good results with this 18.5" model Smokey Mountain - I take it apart and it fits easily in one of the bays. I have done soup to nuts in it - two turkeys at a time - and a turkey and pork shoulder together. Pork on top. I enjoy the smoking process and experience almost as much as the food. Almost.

For years I had a side fire box smoker that would do 5 shoulders at once. But moved to a no fire grill / smoker apartment as we prepared to go full time. Picked up an AOG grill and used wood chip boxes and that worked well especially for ribs...

The Weber Q2000 grill is a singular / circular burner - so I haven't tried using a small smoke box with it. But it will grill steaks - pork roasts - shrimp - etc. Going to try the wood chip box soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418957900642.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	81385   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418958729974.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	81386  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #17

Hey flaggship1 those Webers are nice smokers. My son has a 22 inch one and it turns out some darn good bbq! Not as good as my stick burner but still good!

I'm thinking of picking one up for those times I'm not going to pull the big stick burner.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Hey flaggship1 those Webers are nice smokers. My son has a 22 inch one and it turns out some darn good bbq! Not as good as my stick burner but still good!

I'm thinking of picking one up for those times I'm not going to pull the big stick burner.
So bring one, the other or both (or just an appetite) down to RGV between now and April 30th and let's turn some meat into smokey deliciousess...
Old 12-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
So bring one, the other or both (or just an appetite) down to RGV between now and April 30th and let's turn some meat into smokey deliciousess...
Oops... March 30th... don't want any confusion..
Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a Char Broil Side Smoker. I just got done doing about ten pounds of Salmon. We brine it in our own recipe, and then I cold smoke it with our own oak and hickory. My Wife then makes up vacuum packed packages for our friends and neighbors.

We've been doing this for years and the neighbors make packages of other treats to pass along as well. Candy, pastries, nuts, ect.

Merry Christmas.

I also do ribs, hams, turkeys, brisket, and even peppers.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I use a Char Broil Side Smoker. I just got done doing about ten pounds of Salmon. We brine it in our own recipe, and then I cold smoke it with our own oak and hickory. My Wife then makes up vacuum packed packages for our friends and neighbors.

We've been doing this for years and the neighbors make packages of other treats to pass along as well. Candy, pastries, nuts, ect.

Merry Christmas.

While we can't sell things here... is there an order form...
Old 12-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #22

Quote:

Merry Christmas.

I want to be your neighbor. LOL
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Up North will the same recipe for Stout Pepper Beef work with pull pork?
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
Up North will the same recipe for Stout Pepper Beef work with pull pork?
I don't know why not. Just watch your internal meat temps and the longer it rests after you pull it off the smoker the better. I often put it in a insulated food carrier or a regular cooler and let it rest as long as several hours or even overnight
Old 12-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #25

Quote:

Merry Christmas.

My son and I have caught plenty of salmon either out of Lake Superior or Lake Michigan. I have smoked a ton of it. I always have used a dry brine of brown sugar, kosher salt and some other spice blends.
I do the same thing as far as vacuum pack and give it away. Everyone calls it salmon candy!
Funny thing is, I can't eat it, don't even like the smell of it!
Just one of those things I guess
Old 12-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I don't know why not. Just watch your internal meat temps and the longer it rests after you pull it off the smoker the better. I often put it in a insulated food carrier or a regular cooler and let it rest as long as several hours or even overnight
X2 on the resting. I but mine in a cooler packed with bath towels. Lay one on the bottom then the butt with more towels on top. I have even experimented brining up the internal temp to 202* that someone on the smoking meat forum does.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
We own a Pitts and Spitts stick smoker and a Broil King Keg smoker (pictured below and similar to a Big Green Egg). We plan to take the Keg smoker with us when we go full-timing. It will easily cook for 4-6 people (did a Thanksgiving turkey on it last year), is insulated so uses very little fuel and can even be transported on a receiver hitch (not certain we will haul it this way but happy we have the option).

Old 12-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #28

http://s566.photobucket.com/user/kennylynn/media/IMG_0935.jpg.
heres my smoke gravity feed use charcoal and wood chunks 20lb charcoal and wood chunks= 15-18hours at 235 degrees with no messing with it cabinet is insulated built two inch tubing 1/8 inch panels two inch ball valve controls air to fire box once you set it it does not varies
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote