Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What kind of recipes do you like?
Cookies & Cakes 2 11.76%
Main Dishes 15 88.24%
Side Dishes 4 23.53%
Desserts 3 17.65%
The Odds and Ends 4 23.53%
Salads 1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #771

Roadmap mentioned Lasagna - although this isn't lasagna, it's a baked Ziti Casserole that's easier (to me) to make than Lasagna. This is a versatile recipe - you can make it vegetarian and leave out all the meat (I do this sometimes when I'm feeling lazy) - you can leave out the spinach - I put it in because you can't taste it and it adds vitamins, etc. - Most folks don't even notice it. Feel free to use Cottage Cheese - I'm a purist (and Italian) so I'd never use Cottage Cheese in any dish calling for Ricotta Cheese but if you like it - that's fine. You can also make this in 2 small pans and freeze one for future use. I carry some disposable baking pans (foil) so that I don't have to scrub them after dinner - I'm lazy that way!!

ZIPPY ZITI CASSEROLE
1 #Loose Italian Sausage, Ground Beef, Ground Turkey-cooked and fat drained off.
3-4 Cups of Pasta Sauce (I make my own but jarred will work fine, too)
2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
2 tsp. granulated garlic (or finely minced fresh or use a press)
10 oz. cooked Penne Pasta (about 5 cups)
2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
5 T. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 10 oz. package frozen spinach - thaw and squeese out liquid (optional)
2 eggs- stirred up (or 1/2 C. egg substitute)
2 T. fresh or dried parsley
2 tsp. garlic (again)
2 C. part skim Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (opt.)
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Combine cooked meat (if you are using meat), pasta sauce, garlic, italian seasoning and pepper flakes in a bowl and mix.

In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, parmesan, spinach (opt), garlic, eggs and black pepper. Stir in the pasta to coat/mix well.

Spray a 13 x 9 pan (I use disposable) with cooking spray. Layer about 1/2 sauce mixture on bottom of pan. Spread all of pasta/ricotta mixture evenly over sauce layer.
spread remainder of sauce on top, sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.

Cover casserole and bake in 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until internal temp. reaches 145 degrees.

This serves 4 to 5 people generously. I don't have a convection oven so I use a regular oven. It's great with a nice tossed green salad and some garlic bread (mmm) - think I'll make this for dinner this week! (I'm making myself hungry).
DinnerDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #772

La Bamba Casserole

Here's another casserole you might like. It's kid friendly and, as with the Ziti Casserole, it feeds 4 or 5 people but you can cut it in half and make 2 casseroles, one for dinner and one for the freezer. If you are freezing the casseroles, make sure you put a note in with it so you have cooking instructions. Thaw before baking.

LA BAMBA CASSEROLE

1# lean ground beef, cooked and fat drained off
1 T. Taco Seasoning Mix (more if you like)
1 C. chopped green chili's (I use 2 sm. cans ElPaso chopped green chilis in a can in the Mexican section of the market.)
1 1/2 C. canned diced tomatoes (I like the petite diced - I don't measure I just use the whole 15 or 16 oz. can)
1 T. minced Garlic or to taste
2 C. Refried Beans (1-16 oz. can will work)
1 C. Corn (I use frozen)
1/4 C. chopped green onion
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 Cups Tortilla Chips, crushed

Mix together the meat, taco seasoning, green chili's, tomatoes and garlic.

Spray a casserole (I use 9 x 13 disposable) and spread tortilla chips on bottom.
Place meat mixture over crushed chips - I do it large spoonfuls at a time being careful
to get it even. Top with Corn and then spread refried beans over corn. Sprinkle with green onion. Cover casserole.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with Cheese and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #773

I made some fudge in a couple of aluminum Dollar Tree containers in a toaster oven. Came out ok.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #774

I've seen this recipe floating around for some time. You may have it but I haven't see in these posts so I thought I'd post it. I made it the other day and they were really good - and just enough for me and hubby. I have no idea what its called so I'm calling it:

3-2-1 CAKE
1 cake mix - any flavor
1 Angel Food Cake Mix

Get a 1 gallon Zip Lock Bag. Dump both dry cake mixes into the bag. Seal it - but leave a little air inside the bag. Now just mush it around till it's mixed well and both cake mixes are combined well.

Using a small container (I used a disposable paper bowl that is microwaveable), combine 3 T. of the mix, 2 T. of Water - mix up well. Cook in microwave for 1 minute.
Viola! you have cake!! I topped ours with a small refrigerated chocolate pudding but you could top it with a dollop of cool whip or whatever - fruit would be good too.

I doubled the recipe, cooked it for 2 minutes and shared it with hubby.

Just remember - any flavor of cake mix you like - the second one must be Angel Food. It has the egg whites in it to make it rise. Also remember - 3-2-1 (3 T. cake mix, 2 T. water, 1 minute in microwave).

Hope you enjoy this!!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #775

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I made some fudge in a couple of aluminum Dollar Tree containers in a toaster oven. Came out ok.
Dunner, you sound like a great cook! You should post your recipe.

I make my fudge on the stove top and then pour it into glass buttered pans. I make 5 pounds at a time and usuaully 2-3 recipe's each Christmas. I make several different candies, cookies, bread, baklava and bars at Christmas time to share with family and friends. Our house is usually really busy with many people coming by. I buy containers through out the year and that way I have last minute gifts and gifts for the Fire Station etc.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #776

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinnerDiva View Post
Roadmap mentioned Lasagna - although this isn't lasagna, it's a baked Ziti Casserole that's easier (to me) to make than Lasagna. This is a versatile recipe - you can make it vegetarian and leave out all the meat (I do this sometimes when I'm feeling lazy) - you can leave out the spinach - I put it in because you can't taste it and it adds vitamins, etc. - Most folks don't even notice it. Feel free to use Cottage Cheese - I'm a purist (and Italian) so I'd never use Cottage Cheese in any dish calling for Ricotta Cheese but if you like it - that's fine. You can also make this in 2 small pans and freeze one for future use. I carry some disposable baking pans (foil) so that I don't have to scrub them after dinner - I'm lazy that way!!

ZIPPY ZITI CASSEROLE
1 #Loose Italian Sausage, Ground Beef, Ground Turkey-cooked and fat drained off.
3-4 Cups of Pasta Sauce (I make my own but jarred will work fine, too)
2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
2 tsp. granulated garlic (or finely minced fresh or use a press)
10 oz. cooked Penne Pasta (about 5 cups)
2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
5 T. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 10 oz. package frozen spinach - thaw and squeese out liquid (optional)
2 eggs- stirred up (or 1/2 C. egg substitute)
2 T. fresh or dried parsley
2 tsp. garlic (again)
2 C. part skim Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (opt.)
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Combine cooked meat (if you are using meat), pasta sauce, garlic, italian seasoning and pepper flakes in a bowl and mix.

In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, parmesan, spinach (opt), garlic, eggs and black pepper. Stir in the pasta to coat/mix well.

Spray a 13 x 9 pan (I use disposable) with cooking spray. Layer about 1/2 sauce mixture on bottom of pan. Spread all of pasta/ricotta mixture evenly over sauce layer.
spread remainder of sauce on top, sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.

Cover casserole and bake in 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until internal temp. reaches 145 degrees.

This serves 4 to 5 people generously. I don't have a convection oven so I use a regular oven. It's great with a nice tossed green salad and some garlic bread (mmm) - think I'll make this for dinner this week! (I'm making myself hungry).
This sounds yummy,for sure will try it.thanks
roadmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #777

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinnerDiva View Post
I've seen this recipe floating around for some time. You may have it but I haven't see in these posts so I thought I'd post it. I made it the other day and they were really good - and just enough for me and hubby. I have no idea what its called so I'm calling it:

3-2-1 CAKE
1 cake mix - any flavor
1 Angel Food Cake Mix

Get a 1 gallon Zip Lock Bag. Dump both dry cake mixes into the bag. Seal it - but leave a little air inside the bag. Now just mush it around till it's mixed well and both cake mixes are combined well.

Using a small container (I used a disposable paper bowl that is microwaveable), combine 3 T. of the mix, 2 T. of Water - mix up well. Cook in microwave for 1 minute.
Viola! you have cake!! I topped ours with a small refrigerated chocolate pudding but you could top it with a dollop of cool whip or whatever - fruit would be good too.

I doubled the recipe, cooked it for 2 minutes and shared it with hubby.

Just remember - any flavor of cake mix you like - the second one must be Angel Food. It has the egg whites in it to make it rise. Also remember - 3-2-1 (3 T. cake mix, 2 T. water, 1 minute in microwave).

Hope you enjoy this!!
My DH will love this,even he could handle it. lol
roadmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #778

My recipes are hit and miss. I just add a few things to suit my taste. Sometimes they don't work right.

My mom made lasagna without boiling the noodles first. Just layered everything in the pan and baked it.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #779

Quote:
My recipes are hit and miss. I just add a few things to suit my taste. Sometimes they don't work right.

My mom made lasagna without boiling the noodles first. Just layered everything in the pan and baked it.
Smart lady. Pasta should be firm not mush. I hate over cooked pasta and 90% of the time that's what you get in restaurants.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #780

I'll see if I can dig up her lasagna recipe. Got things to do in my MH before it gets hot in there.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #781

I often use the no-boil noodle method when making Lasagna. I, too, agree that pasta should not be mush - it should be al dente - something to kind of chew - not crunchy but not soggy either.

Would love to try others recipes too. Looked over Sohapi's recipes and there was one for scallops - now if only I can find that post again!! LOL
My problem is everything sounded good but carrying all the ingredients
aroound can be a real problem.

Tonight we are having a very low key comfort food kind of thing. Ground beef cooked with mushrooms and onions, then a can of mushroom soup and served over noodles. Quick, easy - and I don't have to go out in the
wind and rain (which it's been doing all day here in Thornburg, VA) to get
ingredients. Green beans and a salad should round out the menu. Easy Peasey!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #782

Diva, use the thread tools and search this thread for "scallops". I got 5 hits. Pick your... poison, I mean scallops.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #783

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'll see if I can dig up her lasagna recipe. Got things to do in my MH before it gets hot in there.
That would be awesome if you find it and post it.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #784

Monaco Owners Club
Nothing more frustrating then being in the middle of baking cupcakes (coconut ones) and then the power at the RV park goes out! Darn and not just once but twice. That pour batch is a mess and so I pulled them out of the holder and put them into a ziploc bag and into the freezer they went. I will use them later to make a trifle. LOL

DinnerDiva, I am lucky as far as space goes. We have tons to store my basic stuff and then I buy anything I might be missing as I plan 3-4 days of meals.

I do plan seafood that I bring most of the time; but mostly because at home we have such good supply of it. I freeze it and then I have it as I want it.

The funny part for us is that I can most of my own stuff and so that takes up lots of room, but DH doesn't complain. I am lucky I married a wonderful man.