Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:47 AM   #1

Lightbulb Barbeque suggestions?

Can anyone suggest any barbeque recipes for Family Camping? I want an experienced one not a google search recipe. We decided to have one on the upcoming weekend but not confirmed yet.
CynthiaZei is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
BBQ is about as different as tennis shoes. There are so many way to prepare different meats, rubs, sauces, wood used, etc.

I have developed my cooking style over the past 51 years and really cannot write down a recipe. It all depends on what I am cooking and what I feel like.

Also, we find that some area of the country call grilling BBQ. What are you looking to do? Also, how much time do you plan to spend on this? Smoking a brisket is an all day job...it is low heat and slow smoking.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

I bought the Oster smoker roaster, and it is GREAT, about $60, smokes, roasts and will go low like a crockpot. I can make a single srvs of ribs or lots. Smoked chic split brst is great. Make a pork but, and pull for bbq sandwiches.
Homemade from, scratch baked beans going in the crockpot right now.
Taco bar goes over well, and simple beef stew, is always good.
Beef, chicken, and or shrimp kabobs is always good.
A great trick for corn on the cob, is something large enough to dip it/them in, with tongs. Hot water, kept hot with butter in it, as butter goes to top. Just dip cooked cob in and pull out full of butter, and salt and eat.
Happy camping
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
BBQ is about as different as tennis shoes. There are so many way to prepare different meats, rubs, sauces, wood used, etc.

I have developed my cooking style over the past 51 years and really cannot write down a recipe. It all depends on what I am cooking and what I feel like.

Also, we find that some area of the country call grilling BBQ. What are you looking to do? Also, how much time do you plan to spend on this? Smoking a brisket is an all day job...it is low heat and slow smoking.

Ken
Yes, it is... Actually can't imagine a thing... Unfortunately, I could not arrange the event because I was so busy. So, hope to have it this weekend. Thank you for your reply TXiceman.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:45 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
I bought the Oster smoker roaster, and it is GREAT, about $60, smokes, roasts and will go low like a crockpot. I can make a single srvs of ribs or lots. Smoked chic split brst is great. Make a pork but, and pull for bbq sandwiches.
Homemade from, scratch baked beans going in the crockpot right now.
Taco bar goes over well, and simple beef stew, is always good.
Beef, chicken, and or shrimp kabobs is always good.
A great trick for corn on the cob, is something large enough to dip it/them in, with tongs. Hot water, kept hot with butter in it, as butter goes to top. Just dip cooked cob in and pull out full of butter, and salt and eat.
Happy camping
Mmmm... sounds like a delicious list of recipes. Mouth is watering already. Thanks to you too Traveler4321. I will tell you the details later. Have a nice day.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #6

Depending on the # of eaters...............
1 package, or a flat as I call it of chicken thighs. I trim the excess skin around the edges.
Sprinkle with Zatarains Creole seasoning.......or your favorite.
Baste every 15 minutes with sopping sauce of:
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup regular prepared mustard
1/2 tablespoon of poultry seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon Crystal hot sauce(not very hot) or Tabasco(a little warmer)
If using real wood or charcoal, it'll be amazing. If using a gas grill with some real wood chip smoke influence it'll be good. If using just a gas grill.....I feel kinda sorry for you........but it'll still be OK.
Usually takes about an hour to cook over average heat.

Ribs:
Same seasoning and sopping sauce, but I add a 1/4-1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce to the sopping sauce. Ribs take about 3-4 hrs at a low temp of say 250-275 degrees and in and indirect cooking/smoking fashion. Certainly a "labor of love".

When go camping and use either of these sopping sauces, I make them at home and put them in a large Tupperware. They don't need to refrigerated so they don't take up space in the fridge. I also put the Tupperware in a 1 gallon or larger ZipLock bag to avoid unhappy results due to altitude changes coupled with bumpy roads!
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #7

Another fun BBQ is Meat Loaf. Mix up your favorite recipe. Pack it tightly in a bowl. Flop it over on a cutting board with piece of foil. Knock it out of bowl and shape as required to fit in your grill. Slide it onto the BBQ grill and BBQ in an indirect fashion using some smoke for a nice smoke ring. My favorite is to make this. Cool it down. Take it already BBQ'd. Then slice off 1" or thicker slices, sprinkle with Zatarain's and grill it on a flat top or cast iron skillet. Truly amazing.
Meat Loaf:
5 pounds ground beef
2 cups rolled oats powdered in a food processor
3 eggs
1 bell pepper, 1 onion, 4 stalks celery, chopped fine, saute'd and cooled
2 tablespoons Zatarains.....(yes I love this stuff!)
15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
1-2 Tablespoons Crystal to Tabasco hot sauce
Mix and BBQ!
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #8

Our Camping Foods
Breakfast:

Scrambled eggs & bacon, Pancakes [griddled] and sausage patties*, Cereal, Coffee, Milk, Juice,
Lunch:
Lunchmeat sandwiches Hot dogs, corn dogs*. Easy to fix stuff we can eat while on the road or for a picnic.
Dinner:
Pasta w/meat sauce* and meatballs*. Taco salads*, Chilli*, Hamburgers* w/homemade baked beans or potato salad, Mac&cheese, pulled chicken/pork BBQ*, Viola brand Garlic Chicken/shrimp* Steak & French fries*.

*Frozen foods: Ground beef pre-browned and frozen in ziplock bags. Pulled chicken/Pork pre-cooked and frozen in ziplock bags. Hamburgers pre-made and frozen. Frozen foods moved from freezer to refrigerator on morning to be used to thaw.

I keep my cupboard stocked with a variety of spices, rubs, seasonings, Worchesterire, sauces, & condiments. Most cooking is done outdoors on a 2-burner Coleman propane stove or a small propane grill.

We eat pretty well! Our meals are somewhat ballanced. We usually eat at establishments only if there is a special occasion or location with unique cousine to save $$$. When we travel, there are two seniors, one adult female, three athletic teens, and two Bernese Mountain Dogs [big].
JimC
j carter is offline   Reply With Quote