Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
A mandolin will help you to slice veggies. Just be sure to use the safety guard or a Kevlar glove. I carry one in my camper all the time. Also I like to shop locally. Find road side markets. I like cooking over an open fire. Aluminum foil pouches work well. A cast iron camp oven, a cast iron combo cooker are my main tools. There are many recipes and ideas on line. Google can be your friend.
A what? I use a lot of aluminum foil also.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #16

Cast iron combo cooker. It is a pair of skillets. One is a 3 quart deep sided skillet. You can deep fry, boil water. I have even used it to bake in. The other half of it is a low sided skillet that doubles as a griddle. Great for pancakes eggs bacon sausage you name it. Also one works as a lid for the other. Depending on which you need
Cast iron camp oven has 3 short legs and is a deep pot that you can bake, Roast deep fry, virtually anything a small oven can do using coals or charcoal. Lodge makes both. I got both at Wal-Mart. I know that cast iron is heavier than other skillets or pots but they are near impossible to ruin. Once seasoned they are the best nonstick and if you do ruin a meal just put skillet back on the fire and burn it off.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:44 PM   #17

MandolinClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-09-01-43-08.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	351004
Old 12-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #18

Combo cooker and camp ovenClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-09-01-46-11.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	351005Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-09-01-47-43.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	351006
Old 12-09-2021, 03:24 AM   #19

Before I was married I would cook a roast, chicken, beef, turkey or lamb. Maybe a turkey and then I divided the left overs into meal size portions and freeze. This was a weekend project and this gave me quick meals for the week and longer. This gave me choices each day. Same with a stew or meatballs. A sweet and sour pork, chicken dish were all treated in the same way. An hour or so in preparation, some cooking time and it was done for the next week and more.
Sadly my wife hasn't followed my lead and cooks every day. Good food but a lot of extra work and cleanup.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Combo cooker and camp ovenAttachment 351005Attachment 351006
I like that combo and cast iron is great.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Before I was married I would cook a roast, chicken, beef, turkey or lamb. Maybe a turkey and then I divided the left overs into meal size portions and freeze. This was a weekend project and this gave me quick meals for the week and longer. This gave me choices each day. Same with a stew or meatballs. A sweet and sour pork, chicken dish were all treated in the same way. An hour or so in preparation, some cooking time and it was done for the next week and more.
Sadly my wife hasn't followed my lead and cooks every day. Good food but a lot of extra work and cleanup.
I’ve done that with a big turkey to make 20 frozen soup meals. I would take a frozen one to work and by noon it was mostly unfrozen. A few minutes of microwave and a great hot lunch.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:51 AM   #22

Quote:
A mandolin will help you to slice veggies. Just be sure to use the safety guard or a Kevlar glove. I carry one in my camper all the time. Also I like to shop locally. Find road side markets. I like cooking over an open fire. Aluminum foil pouches work well. A cast iron camp oven, a cast iron combo cooker are my main tools. There are many recipes and ideas on line. Google can be your friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
A what? I use a lot of aluminum foil also.
Mandolin, French for "cut my fingers"

Henry, I'd recommend taking a class. Sur la Table or the local community college will have some offerings and it's a far more effective learning process than reading from a book. Knife skills especially are best taught in person. There are at least two professional-level online schools, Escoffier and Rouxbe. Rouxbe is a little more friendly for beginners but both are really great programs. Rouxbe also offers classes on specialty diets like gluten-free and vegan.

Having a good knife in the first place is key. If your knife is too small, dull, or poorly balanced cutting anything is a miserable experience. With a good knife and some basic skills, you can buy and cut whole chickens, and from that one chicken you can get 5 meals for a single person. Keep in mind the best knife is the one you like and feels good in your hands. Any of the premium knives are a good choice.

I've taught classes on cooking for one or two, and the key to minimizing waste is planning.

I've spent 3+ decades behind a stove and teaching culinary and I'm glad to answer any questions or link you to any of my videos. Cooking for yourself is a critical life skill! I agree with Old B, any meal you cook yourself is better than any store-bought meal.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:52 AM   #23

One of the problems with prepared food, pretty much regardless of the source, is the very high sodium content. Preparing your own food is much healthier and, once you master a few basic skills, it need not be difficult or time consuming.

Making extra and freezing in meal-sized portions is a great way to go. I know freezer space is limited on an RV but don't freeze it all, save some in the refrigerator for a couple of meals. For example, go ahead and BBQ a whole tri-tip (don't overcook it), divide up what you're not going to eat in a couple of days, freeze the portions and you'll get a number of meals out of it.

Learn to use your microwave. It's great for potatoes, vegetables and many entrees. We find that it does a wonderful job on frozen salmon filets. Defrost them and microwave them on medium power for a couple of minutes, covered with a sheet of "sandwich paper" with a spoonful of salsa on top and they're perfect. It will take a few tries to get the timing down but start with less time and add more if it's not cooked.

I don't know about others but most of what we cook at home doesn't require recipes. Want stew? Throw a bunch of cut up veggies and meat in the pot with some basic seasonings (or even just some garlic, salt and pepper), some prepared chicken or beef stock, simmer it for a couple of hours and you're done. Don't stress over the proportions, it doesn't matter that much and you'll soon figure out what you like. Have some for dinner, divide the leftovers into meal size portions refrigerate some and freeze the rest.

Do you like pulled pork? Put a piece of pork shoulder in a crockpot overnight with a couple of cut up onions, some garlic and a little salt. Add BBQ sauce as you eat it. Again, freeze the leftovers. Use the pork for sandwiches, burritos, breakfast hash, or as an entree with a veggie, rice or potatoes.

Watch "America's Test Kitchen" or "Cook's Country" and you'll learn a lot. Try not to obsess on the recipes, pay attention to the techniques. You'll soon get a feel for things.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #24
Community Moderator

I’m surprised no one mentioned an instantpot yet. I don’t like cooking either, but it makes it simple. All the recipes, I just “dumb down” them to the basics. No need to do all the “searing”, browning, etc extra steps.

Cook chicken, pork loin, pot roast, fish, by just putting it in the pot, add some water or broth (to make steam) and push the button.

Easy like a microwave, since it turns itself off after cooking is complete. Cooks from frozen or fresh, easy peasy.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
I’m a new solo RVer and cooking is not my thing. When I lived in a stick house I had my favorite grocery stores where I could buy prepared home cooked meals. Yes it was real home cooked meals. They even had classes on how to cook and gave you their recipes.

https://www.pccmarkets.com/

Now that I’m on the road all I’m finding is regular grocery stores and their already prepared meals are of far lesser quality than I’m used to.

How do you get good fresh already prepared food?
Henry, I just spent about 45 min in the kitchen making a couple meatloafs (turkey) - something I’ve only done a couple times and it was several years ago.

So of course I looked up some recipes, then did my own thing adding shredded carrots, mushrooms, rice, and my own seasoning as the mood dictated. Point is it was a very pleasing experience.

When I was done felt great - not like I had labored or toiled, but a combination of a sense of accomplishment, productivity, and the anticipation of a pretty good meal.

I made two loafs and will freeze a bunch for the next road trip. So, just an example of what taking charge of your food can do for you.

Cheers and happy cooking!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I’m surprised no one mentioned an instantpot yet. I don’t like cooking either, but it makes it simple. All the recipes, I just “dumb down” them to the basics. No need to do all the “searing”, browning, etc extra steps.

Cook chicken, pork loin, pot roast, fish, by just putting it in the pot, add some water or broth (to make steam) and push the button.

Easy like a microwave, since it turns itself off after cooking is complete. Cooks from frozen or fresh, easy peasy.
That is how I currently cook on the road. I have a small crockpot and a rice cooker. They both work great. What I miss is having a good grocery store to get already cooked meals. Someone mentioned they are not as healthy however I would disagree. It may be true 99.99% of the time however that was my point. At home PCC Foods was that .01% and I can’t find a place like that one the road.

Thanks all for your ideas. I will most likely follow your suggestions.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #27

Quote:
That is how I currently cook on the road. I have a small crockpot and a rice cooker. They both work great. What I miss is having a good grocery store to get already cooked meals. Someone mentioned they are not as healthy however I would disagree. It may be true 99.99% of the time however that was my point. At home PCC Foods was that .01% and I can’t find a place like that one the road.

Thanks all for your ideas. I will most likely follow your suggestions.
This will be your biggest challenge. We've been full timing for a year and a half, and ready made meals in stores have been as rare as hen's teeth. Most grocery stores have some of the components, but it may not be the kind of food you want. A lot of grocery stores now carry pre sliced veggies and in the meat and fish section so carry pre seasoned meats. You may have to assemble your own meal.

Before heading out on the road, we knew it was going to by a big lifestyle change, and we were thinking it would be a big food adventure eating our way across the US. What we didn't expect, was the inconsistency in the availability of brands and foods we like. It hasn't be a problem for me because I'm a very flexible eater. I've found if I can't find something I want, I sometimes need to take a chance and try an alternative. I've experienced some stinkers, but also discovered some new favorites. My wife is much pickier and one of her big losses has been a brand of margarine she likes that we haven't been able to find since we left the West coast a year ago. She's found an alternative that is "ok", but even that one isn't always available. It's frustrating.

We like walking the isles of new stores to see what's there. I've found some real gems. Recently we checked out a local grocery store chain and in their meat section they sold assorted pre-packed fish meals with a seasoned fillet and some veggies in a cooking bag. Prices varied between $4.50-$7 and it was great! The drawback with these finds is, they too vanish when we move to a different area. We've discovered that regional taste differences can cause problems too. Since hitting the midwest, and heading east, one type of food we both enjoy is make differently than we are used to. Instead of a tomato based sauce, when you get east of the Mississippi, it becomes a cheese sauce that neither of us like so we'll do without until we get back west.

Here in the south, they like fried food which is something we haven't done much of in years. They also like their salt which I cut back in my cooking years ago. I've been able to get around it by pre-shopping menus online before we choose a restaurant and that's worked well. Plus, part of the adventure is to eat what the locals eat, which has also brought some nice surprises even if it wouldn't have been my first choice. I've has some great surprises to add to my list of new favorites.

You'll work it out. Just like moving from a house to an RV has forced some changes, so does eating on the road. We've discovered as many people have mentioned, that preparing larger portions, splitting them up and freezing or vacuum packing them for later meals works great. As an example we bought a large package of hamburger today that will be made into a couple small meat loafs, some seasoned burger for tacos, and some small portions of crumbles for other things. From there on we just grab it from the freezer, cook it up or heat it and we are good to go. We do that if we see a sale on something in a store. We've learned new tricks in our new lifestyle, you will too. You'll miss the old favorites, but you'll also discover new ones.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
That is what we have done after the 6 kids moved out. We make up large quantities and package and freeze into diner for two size. There still is work to complete the meal, but the core is done. We use the prepared main entree's in about one in five meals. We have our favorites prepare in advance: Lasagna, beef stew, chicken stew, pulled pork, chicken soup, potato soup, split pea soup, chili. Proteins we cook in advance: meat balls, meat loaf, ham, scrapple, and turkey. These packages work out nicely on our travel days with the RV.

About every 4 to 6 months we are like a factory preparing the core of these meals.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food