Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Being that I'm a fulltimer, and live out of a pickup camper, I tend to like to make stuff that requires the minimum amount of fuss.

One dish I love to make is one I heard called "Poor Man's Casserole" once.

Ingredients
1 Box Classic Kraft Macaronni & Cheese
2 Cans Tuna Fish
1 regular sized cans of peas
2 cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Optional)

Instructions
Using a wire mesh strainer, empty your two cans of tuna fish into it and run them under cold water to clean out any oil (I prefer the tuna in Oil over water, it has more flavor) or other left overs from the tuna in a can process. Once thoroughly rinsed and broken down into smaller pieces with your fingers, press the tuna tight against the mesh to squeeze out any extra water. Place tuna in a small container and stow in fridge.

Following the instructions on the package, prepare your mac n' cheese like normal. During the process where you add the 4 tbsps of butter, 1/4 cup of milk and cheese powder, mix in your tuna and the can of peas. Be certain to drain the peas off in the sink before adding them. Mix until tuna and peas are thoroughly interspersed in the noodle mixture. You can also add 2-3 table spoons of sour cream at this point to add some extra flavor if you so desire.

Now, take a 2-3 quart glass casserole dish, empty the contents of your pot into the casserole dish and spread it across the dish so that you have an even, flat top surface.

This step is optional. Spread shredded cheddar cheese across top in an even layer.

Place lid on Casserole dish and put in microwave (Or oven preheated to 375 degrees) for 35-40 minutes (Depending on wattage of microwave, or if you use the oven).

When the timer goes off, the casserole should have a nice baked on layer of cheese on the top, but not be overly dried out.

Spoon and serve. A side of sliced tomatoes goes exqusitly with this dish.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Being that I'm a fulltimer, and live out of a pickup camper, I tend to like to make stuff that requires the minimum amount of fuss.

One dish I love to make is one I heard called "Poor Man's Casserole" once.

Ingredients
1 Box Classic Kraft Macaronni & Cheese
2 Cans Tuna Fish
1 regular sized cans of peas
2 cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Optional)

Instructions
Using a wire mesh strainer, empty your two cans of tuna fish into it and run them under cold water to clean out any oil (I prefer the tuna in Oil over water, it has more flavor) or other left overs from the tuna in a can process. Once thoroughly rinsed and broken down into smaller pieces with your fingers, press the tuna tight against the mesh to squeeze out any extra water. Place tuna in a small container and stow in fridge.

Following the instructions on the package, prepare your mac n' cheese like normal. During the process where you add the 4 tbsps of butter, 1/4 cup of milk and cheese powder, mix in your tuna and the can of peas. Be certain to drain the peas off in the sink before adding them. Mix until tuna and peas are thoroughly interspersed in the noodle mixture. You can also add 2-3 table spoons of sour cream at this point to add some extra flavor if you so desire.

Now, take a 2-3 quart glass casserole dish, empty the contents of your pot into the casserole dish and spread it across the dish so that you have an even, flat top surface.

This step is optional. Spread shredded cheddar cheese across top in an even layer.

Place lid on Casserole dish and put in microwave (Or oven preheated to 375 degrees) for 35-40 minutes (Depending on wattage of microwave, or if you use the oven).

When the timer goes off, the casserole should have a nice baked on layer of cheese on the top, but not be overly dried out.

Spoon and serve. A side of sliced tomatoes goes exqusitly with this dish.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had that before. It's in my book.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote