Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2023, 06:50 AM   #57

I have a GMG Davey Crockett pellet grill smoker. I was able to buy a griddle for it and also some griddle grates. I can smoke meat, I can use the griddle for breakfast or smash burgers or I can grill steaks or pork chops with perfect strpes. You remove the grates, drip pan and fire box cover then drop the griddle in place.
Milamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2023, 08:33 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Why not both in one unit? I carry a Blackstone Tailgator.

https://www.campingworld.com/blackst...bo-275948.html
Old 04-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #59

Blackstone

Mark and Jodie posted that their grill had trouble getting up to temperature in windy conditions (paraphrasing because of short term memory issues...). I had found that to be true of my Blackstone 22" griddle as well. I found that Blackstone sells some metal "wind skirts" that slip down over the griddle walls and extend down far enough to block the majority of any wind (and it's always windy out here on the Pacific coast!) I had some stainless steel sheet so just made my own - what a difference - and probably saves me a lot of fuel as well!
carrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:23 AM   #60

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrington View Post
Mark and Jodie posted that their grill had trouble getting up to temperature in windy conditions (paraphrasing because of short term memory issues...). I had found that to be true of my Blackstone 22" griddle as well. I found that Blackstone sells some metal "wind skirts" that slip down over the griddle walls and extend down far enough to block the majority of any wind (and it's always windy out here on the Pacific coast!) I had some stainless steel sheet so just made my own - what a difference - and probably saves me a lot of fuel as well!
Very true, the only downside of the Blackstone is high wind. I haven’t made any wind skirts…yet.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:33 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I was looking to either refurbish my old propane grill or replace, and became inspired by this thread! - thanks to all for the valuable feedback.

Here's where I landed:

22" Blackstone Griddle for all the time:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

Char-Griller E06614 Akorn Jr. Kamado Kooker Charcoal Grill for when I really want to grill some meat:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Too bad it's -1c and snowing here again today. Summer seems a long-way off...
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #62

While I really enjoying cooking, I enjoy hiking and golfing more. So cooking hasn't been a focus while RVing. We ditched the grill and use only the Blackstone because it's very easy to clean up and put away versus a grill. In addition, it is more flexible in what can be prepared on it. I have a large pellet grill at home and will smoke several dozen hamburgers, a couple of briskets and some chickens, freeze them for individual meals and then reheat them. Because they are smoked, they still remain very juicy and tender, and these are very easy meals on travel days. I use the griddle for steaks and stir fry meats, typically adding some marinade. That said, there are some recipes for pizza, fish and chips and chicken sandwiches that I am hoping to try on this trip.
Liz_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #63

Don't do it. Blackstone is heavy, way harder to clean than BBQ grill, must be conditioned (oiled), and is hugely impacted by the wind. Really only good for breakfast types of foods: eggs, pancakes, etc.
littleapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:25 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
All steak houses cook their meat on a flat top to sear then oven to bring up the inner temp.

Some do, but the good ones don’t.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:41 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleapple View Post
Don't do it. Blackstone is heavy, way harder to clean than BBQ grill, must be conditioned (oiled), and is hugely impacted by the wind. Really only good for breakfast types of foods: eggs, pancakes, etc.
Only someone who has never camped with a Blackstone would say those things.

Much easier to clean than a grill. Takes less than a minute.
Conditioning takes a few minutes when new. After that oil is added after cleaning. 30 second process.
If winds are high, block off direction wind is coming from. Way less affected by wind than a gas grill.
Every meal imaginable can be cooked on a Blackstone, including using it as a smoker or an oven. It’s not for someone who doesn’t enjoy learning new ways to cook. The only thing it can’t do is cooking meat over an open flame. Oh well, like I say, there are other ways to do that if you can live without open flame cooking.
It ain’t heavy.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:35 PM   #66

Spartan Chassis
I have repeatedly asked a simple question: why buy a Blackstone when anything that you cook on it can be done on an electric griddle without the need for propane? My son gifted me with a Blackstone several years ago and I honestly don't care for it. I find it needs to be cleaned and seasoned every few months. I know how to season them because I've cooked on cast iron cookware for over 50 years. I'm a few months shy of 70 years old and grew up cooking over a campfire and still do. Oh by the way, we don't carry a grill in the RV either.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:57 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I have repeatedly asked a simple question: why buy a Blackstone when anything that you cook on it can be done on an electric griddle without the need for propane? My son gifted me with a Blackstone several years ago and I honestly don't care for it. I find it needs to be cleaned and seasoned every few months. I know how to season them because I've cooked on cast iron cookware for over 50 years. I'm a few months shy of 70 years old and grew up cooking over a campfire and still do. Oh by the way, we don't carry a grill in the RV either.

Because we don't always have electric at the site, and I'd rather be respectful of others and not run the diesel generator to create electric to cook some eggs, ham, and potatoes for breakfast. Dang it now I'm hungry.

I also carry cast iron. Do take the grill half off and set a cast iron for more frying space when needed.

I haven't had to re-season the blackstone in the 5 years I've owned it. Haven't needed to re-season any of the cast iron (Wagner, Griswald, Birmingham, Piqua, or even the old Lodges), some of which are over 100 years old. They never see soap, just a quick rinse, then dry. Same with the blackstone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	390940  
Old 04-22-2023, 11:33 AM   #68

That is exactly what we did, and I love our Blackstone. So much more versatile. We cook breakfast and dinner on it.
KF7DAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Because we don't always have electric at the site, and I'd rather be respectful of others and not run the diesel generator to create electric to cook some eggs, ham, and potatoes for breakfast. Dang it now I'm hungry.

I also carry cast iron. Do take the grill half off and set a cast iron for more frying space when needed.

I haven't had to re-season the blackstone in the 5 years I've owned it. Haven't needed to re-season any of the cast iron (Wagner, Griswald, Birmingham, Piqua, or even the old Lodges), some of which are over 100 years old. They never see soap, just a quick rinse, then dry. Same with the blackstone.
Hmmmmmm That's the way I like to do our veggies

Safe travels and all the best...
1stimerveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:12 AM   #70

I left my little Weber grill at home and brought the Blackstone. The Blackstone does a great smash burger or seared steak, but I miss the charcoal taste. From now on, I will carry both.
2024 Brinkley G 3500 #39
2017 F450
Always in the Dawg Haus
MKwilli is offline   Reply With Quote