Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #1

Must have cooking appliances or items.

Hi folks

I am soon to be First time Full Time RV'r Just me and my Service dog, I was wondering what cooking items are real must haves for versatility and convenience when Full timing. I have a small to medium crock pot not sure on size, a Ronco Rotisserie I have yet to use, was looking at the New Wave stuff.....HELP! I have not even decided what type or Size RV I will be getting yet though I am leaning toward a Class A 32'-36' so not sure on space available yet. I am not really a cook I eat out way too much but want to learn in a effort to save money.
EdwardMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Community Moderator

These are one of the best portable grills available. Get one of these
and do most of your cooking outside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414185011.806674.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	77313
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Can they be hooked into the RV propane line or will I have to haul extra tanks?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardMH View Post
Can they be hooked into the RV propane line or will I have to haul extra tanks?

It can be hooked to the RV line....but takes some parts, etc...

On just the 1lb disposable you can cook 5 - 7 meals....many people get a
small 1gallon tank and hose....this allows you to put the grill anywhere and cook for a month.

If hooked to the RV, you can't move it much. I say try it for a month or so on just the disposable tanks until you find out what works best for you.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #5

Oh wow was not aware they were so economical.

I hope I make my mind up soon on a RV LOL
Old 10-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #6

No matter what size RV you eventually get you will want to make good use of the space available. Look on-line for nesting cookware, especially induction ready. We use a set from Rapid Chef, Magmaware is another good brand. Nesting cookware is sometimes refered to as Galley ware, try searching on that term.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Unless you get an RV with a residential fridge, most RV fridges are tiny.....you can't cook if you don't have the food....so I say get one of these.

It will run on either 110vac or 12vdc. It can be set as a refrigerator or a freezer with just the turn of the thermostat. Either stock up on frozen food and use the microwave a lot - lol or stock up on fresh food - your choice.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414240481.441389.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	77354
Old 10-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #8

I had such a nice collection of cast iron cookware but gave them all to my Brother for fear they weighed too much to take in a RV considering the same for my dishes and glassware my Bass Pro 32 piece stoneware dishes are all I have so will people have to buy all plastic ware or something to keep weight down bad enough I plan to bring my Astronomy and Music items.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #9

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414265353.279698.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	77380
Old 10-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #10

Smile Nuwave

Ok which is the best for cooking the Nuwave oven with the top or the other one. Please help...
harrtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #11

I was wondering that my self, I would assume any induction cookware that would fit but I would like a definite answer.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardMH View Post
Hi folks

I am soon to be First time Full Time RV'r Just me and my Service dog, I was wondering what cooking items are real must haves for versatility and convenience when Full timing. I have a small to medium crock pot not sure on size, a Ronco Rotisserie I have yet to use, was looking at the New Wave stuff.....HELP! I have not even decided what type or Size RV I will be getting yet though I am leaning toward a Class A 32'-36' so not sure on space available yet. I am not really a cook I eat out way too much but want to learn in a effort to save money.
My must-haves:

1.) Crock pot (which you already have)
2.) Cast-iron skillet with heavy lid (for frying, baking, casseroles)
3.) Toaster oven, so you can toast/bake on the CG's dime, instead of using your propane
4.) Small grill for cooking outside when weather permits, so you don't need to heat up the inside of the MH
I've heard good things about New Wave, but don't know about it first-hand.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We use a Keurig coffee maker (there is a lengthy thread about these, use the search tool to find) when we have power. We also carry a "cowboy campfire" coffee percolator for use when there is no power and we do not want to use the generator. This is my favorite coffee maker, but it is a pain to clean in an RV.

Good luck with your new found adventures!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #14

I a a tea drinker though my Dr. Wants me to quit, not big on coffe unless it is Dunkin Donuts.