Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Small meat smoker

As we speak I'm trying to smoke some meat on my small weber gas bbq. It seems to be going too fast and I don't think I'd ever be able get it to smoke and slow cook too. (8+ hrs low and slow)
Does anyone know of a small smoke that doesn't take up too much room. We're full timing and trying not to fill the bays up with too much bulky stuff.
Thanks
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #2

Smoke 'N Fold Stainless Folding Smoker on sale Free Shipping US48

I've not seen this particular unit before, but I have seen similar folding ones in past years. We often take our propane smoker with us when we tent camp, since I cook for a large group (15 to 60) people. I thought we'd just have to design and build a folding one for ourselves when we go fulltime in an RV.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
As we speak I'm trying to smoke some meat on my small weber gas bbq. It seems to be going too fast and I don't think I'd ever be able get it to smoke and slow cook too. (8+ hrs low and slow)
Does anyone know of a small smoke that doesn't take up too much room. We're full timing and trying not to fill the bays up with too much bulky stuff.
Thanks
Just a thought.....
If you have 2 burners, place the meat OFF the burner, and place a pan of liquid OVER the burner.
That may absorb a lot of the heat, keep the meat moist, and, in some folks opinion, using wine or beer or juice or stock can lightly flavor the meat as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Baby Q as well, I also made a gas base for my electric smoker that I can do boils and smoke on. The Q would be too small for my needs however mine is connected to my MoHo tank and I'd think if I'd turn that valve down it would lower the flame/heat on the Q. The valve on the Q doesn't do much adjusting. If you run it off a cannister you may be able to add a small tee cut off. You just need to be able to hold about 240 degrees.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

The Cobb grill, the best little smoker money can buy! They call it a grill, however I would never use it as one, I just use it as a smoker. This is my review on it from a few years back, I still had a pop-up back then as you will see in the pic's

An introduction, a smoker review, camping, and of course food, pic heavy. - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

This is from a BBQ forum I hang out at.

P.S. I am not in any way connected with this product, I've just used it for years
P.P.S. Give that white BBQ sauce a try!
harley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #6

Home built small smoker

Here's a collapsible smoker I built for <$42. Heat source is a propane stove but a hot plate will work well too. Comes apart with 2 wing nuts and 3 nuts on the all thread rod.
and lays flat. I'd be happy to answer any questions
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC222470.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	30842

Name:	PC222472.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	30843

Name:	PC222473.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	30844

Name:	PC222475.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	30845.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
You can add a Smoke Daddy to most enclosed grills.

SMOKE DADDY Cold Smoke Generators

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Here's a collapsible smoker I built for <$42. Heat source is a propane stove but a hot plate will work well too. Comes apart with 2 wing nuts and 3 nuts on the all thread rod.
and lays flat. I'd be happy to answer any questions
That's a nice looking smoker, Pumper! I don't understand how it lays flat though.
Do the barrel sections unroll?
I was thinking about a Weber Smokey Mountain, but they're very expensive.
Yours looks like a similar design, so it should work excellent.
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

flat smoker

The sides are just held together with wind nuts and bolts. The all thread is just there to hold the grill. So I take the wing nuts and bolts off, pull out the all thread and unroll it for flat storage. The lid (a 16" Wok) and the pots I use for the smoker and water nest together, and the grill comes out. I suppose it truly doesn't go flat due to the pots and wok but it still takes up a lot less space than a standard smoker and it's cheap. Note you could also use a hot plate for a heat source you just might want to insulate the wire with some high temp spark plug protectors. I suppose I could copyright the design and get rich but now it's public domain. If you decide to build your own drop me a line and I can give you some pointers to save you some head aches.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #10

from flat to smok'n <5mins

here are some pics of my first run in my home made smoker. Best Turkey breast I have ever had. I went from the first picture of the smoker flat to heating up and smoking in less than 5 mins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC242485.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	31012   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC252486.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	31013  

Name:	PC252487.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	31014  
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
pumper9x9 can you list the materials you used and where you purchased.It looks like you did a great job.I might have to try it out. tks
Old 12-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #12

Materials list for smoker

First total cost. < $42. I realize that you can buy a nice charcoal smoker for about $40 but it takes up a lot of space in the compartments.

Home Depot or Lowes
1 15"x 5' roll of galvanized flashing $5.00*
2 5/16 x 18 wing nuts stainless steel $1.61
2 5/16 x 3/4" stainless hex bolts $0.81
1 8' x 1/4" all thread $4.65**
1 pkg 1/4" nuts $1.57
1 18.5" Weber charcoal grate $8.99
1 bbq thermometer $8.99
(the small one that holds the charcoal
Thrift Store or garage sale of your choice:
1 16" Steel Wok $5.00
3 stainless steel pans that kind of fit $5.00
*the cost for a 5' roll might be a bit more. I started with a 10' roll @about $10
** The 8' all thread rod was about $1 more than a 4' section and at the time I wasn't sure how much I'd use.
Tools:
Drill with assorted bits
Straight cutting tin snips
Work Gloves
Tape measure
Hacksaw
spring loaded center punch (optional)
Something to scribe metal ( I used a screw driver)
Straight edge.

Procedure: Get the materials you need together then measure the diameter of your grill. Figure out how much flashing you need (diameter x 3.14) then add 3". Scribe and then cut the flashing. Form the flashing into a tube that your grill will fit in and mark where you want to drill the holes for the 5/16" bolts then drill. I put my holes about 2" down from the top and bottom edge. Assemble the tube with the wing nuts and bolts.
Then figure out where you want to place the all thread to hold up the grill. I mark mine down 3" from the top of the tube and drill your holes. Cut the all tread to length and place them in the tube. Add the grill and then drill a hole for the temperature gauge just above the grill. Put the lid on it and then place the whole thing on a heat source and burn it off. Drill out some smoke holes in the wood container then place a pan of water on top of it. You're ready to smoke

Happy smoking
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very nice concept. I use my electric charbroil on an old stand I made to fit on a gas fish fry stand. I think I'll adapt the flat metal design to replace my current barrel. The only issue I see is once the smoker gets seasoned it will be messy to store....could sandwich in 2 pieces of cardboard. Hats off to a very nice design.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
You can make a great smoker out of a cardboard box and an electric hotplate. -Tom

How to Make a Cardboard Smoker

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote