iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Holding Tank Level Indicators (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/holding-tank-level-indicators-101588.html)

RVtomtom 08-29-2011 07:33 AM

Holding Tank Level Indicators

I have read many threads on the various reasons why you get false level readings and possible solutions. I too have the same problems with my 03 MH. The best solution seemed to be the GEO method which I did last week. Prior to doing the GEO fix the grey tank registered 1/3 full then would register 2/3 - FULL as I added water into the tank. The black tank registered 2/3 full then FULL as I filled the tank. After the GEO fix my grey tank indicatirs are reading FULL all the time and my black tank is down to 1/3 reading when both are empty. I do have a circuit schematic and procedure to adjust the indicator readings but do not want to do so until I am getting get a more consistent reading from the sensors. Should I continue using the GEO method a few more times or try something a little more robust. Im thinking I may have calcium build up on the sensors.
Thanks....Tom & Judy the canucks...go leafs go.

slick60 08-29-2011 08:09 AM

It seems to be that once these sensors stop working correctly you can forget it or spend big bucks for replacements. Frankly, I see little need in them. Gray water will fill up quick (a couple of days) if you take showers and usually we can get a week on Black. A good flashlight works well for checking the black and water backing up in the shower tell me gray is full. Thats just me....good luck.

Clay L 08-29-2011 10:40 AM

The problem is not build up on the sensors but wet gunk build up on the tank walls.
Anything that cleans the tank walls might help. However over the years I have tried all of the things people say will work and so far nothing has worked.

Note that I have non-contact sensors on the outside of the tank and still have faulty readings. I have pressure washed the inside of the black tank and got good readings for a few tank fulls and then it started reading full all of the time.

Some people have reported having good luck with the HOERST probes. They move the sensors out into the tank away from the wall. So far I haven't heard anyone say they have stopped working.

RVtomtom 08-29-2011 12:57 PM

Thanks :thumb:good to know. The best solution seems to be aware of how much water is in my tanks at any given time. Sensors on the Fresh water tank seem very accurate so if it gets below 1/3 full then 40+ gallons has gone into the waste tanks so I should be dumping them. Makes sense to me.
Tom & Judy.

slick60 08-29-2011 01:15 PM

:facepalm: Someone always has to apply logic !!;)

B Bob 08-30-2011 09:52 PM

Since I had a see level system put in a year ago I get good readings on my tanks.

Dcecilw 09-01-2011 11:24 AM

What is a GEO fix?

RickO 09-01-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcecilw (Post 945968)
What is a GEO fix?

If you use our search feature and look for "geo method" you'll find a lot of reading material on the subject. It's basically a method for cleaning and maintaining your tanks using mostly household products. Many swear by it.

rick

tommy tucer 09-06-2011 01:42 PM

Hi, I was told by some full timers what they do ... After dumping your tanks , ( black & grey ) put about 5 gallons of water into your tanks , plus a quarter cup of dawn liquid and your left over trays of ice cubes ( in your black tank ). When you drive down the road the soap and ice cubes will clean up the whole tank . Good luck . Tommy , Di , and the girls.

jerryv 09-28-2011 01:31 PM

Black water tank

I cut a 2inch hole in black water tank on pass.side,got 2 inch test plug from home depot.I dump tank and back flush then pull test plug and wash out with a nozzle,sensors are always clean.

Pairajays 09-28-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy tucer (Post 950824)
Hi, I was told by some full timers what they do ... After dumping your tanks , ( black & grey ) put about 5 gallons of water into your tanks , plus a quarter cup of dawn liquid and your left over trays of ice cubes ( in your black tank ). When you drive down the road the soap and ice cubes will clean up the whole tank . Good luck . Tommy , Di , and the girls.

I've heard this story before. Please explain to me how 5 gallons of water, ice cubes and some soap can clean all the probes in 60 gallon grey or 40 gallon black water holding tank?:confused:

Jim E

RickO 09-28-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pairajays (Post 970176)
I've heard this story before. Please explain to me how 5 gallons of water, ice cubes and some soap can clean all the probes in 60 gallon grey or 40 gallon black water holding tank?:confused:

Jim E

I do this from time to time but not with only 5 gallons of water. I fill the black tank to about 2/3 full. I'm not sure how much good it really does for the sensors but I can rinse until all the drain water runs clear and then do this and when I dump at my destination I do see quite a bit of "debris" come out. Obviously this can only be done with the black tank since there's usually no good way to get ice cubes into the grey tank.

Rick

W4MBG 09-28-2011 05:32 PM

it depends on how you drive! :)

CharlieTwo 09-28-2011 05:37 PM

It took many flushes, GEO method, flushes and finally putting some liquid washing detergent in tanks, making sure they were completely full and letting them sit for a day and then draining. I figure some of the stuff could be dried on like cement and takes awhile to come off. Try the soaking of the tanks completely full and see what happens.