iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Arizona vs California Registration (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/arizona-vs-california-registration-106811.html)

Mojo13 10-28-2011 05:41 PM

Arizona vs California Registration

I recently purchased a new Fleetwood Discovery in Pheonix, AZ. Drove it back to California, and attempted to register it at the DMV today. That didn't go so well.

I also have land in Arizona and a Arizona ID. I think I could register the vehicle in either state. Does anyone know the pros and cons of registering in either state?

so far for California registration, I see that I will have to pay a difference in tax from the original purchase price (about 2K) and I was told that it would have to get the vehicle smog tested.

Not sure of anything in Arizona yet.

:confused:

flasher 10-28-2011 06:10 PM

Az is deff cheaper. As far as emissions go it depends on which county your property is

Sequim Guy 10-28-2011 06:17 PM

I would find out which state has lower registration fees, both states charge on value of the vehicle, so it is going to be pricey for tags. Only Phoenix and Tucson make you get a smog test, rest of state doesn't.
Not sure about sales tax, AZ doesn't make you pay sales tax on a private party sale, only on dealer sales, but since you bought new, you probably already paid the sales tax at the dealer.
Is CA making you pay tax on what they think it is worth and not what you paid for it?
I remember them doing that when I lived there, another reason I don't live there anymore. When you bought a car private party, you always got a bill of sale for way less than you paid because you had to show it to DMV.

Clay L 10-29-2011 09:22 AM

Legally it should be registered in the state it is principally garaged in.

There have been some posts in the last few years talking about CA efforts to track down and fine people keeping RVs in CA that are registered in other states, but I don't know what the chances of getting caught are.

stuhly 10-29-2011 09:29 AM

Arizona is not cheap either. My 06 Providence last year was over $2000.

flasher 10-29-2011 10:25 AM

What would it of been in ca?

RickO 10-29-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flasher (Post 995750)
What would it of been in ca?

For my 07 Itasca Ellipse California wanted $2400 for the 2010 registration. Although I was born and raised there, I packed my bags and joined Escapees to become a "Texan".

Rick

flasher 10-29-2011 11:01 AM

I know how you feel Rick.I left 20 years ago

GSGracie 10-29-2011 11:26 AM

At last! Something that is cheaper in New Zealand than USA! My registration for the year is $290NZ (about $250US). Also have to get a Certificate of Fitness twice a year ($117NZ) but I still come out ahead. Gas on the other hand is $2.10 per LITRE, that is about $10 a gallon.

Sequim Guy 10-29-2011 04:40 PM

Sorry to tell you, but it's not cheaper in NZ. Your MH is about the same age as mine, and my tags are about $245 a year. They go by current value here, so the older it is, the less the tags. The tags on a new Prevost are probably more than my MH is worth.:D
Price for gas in Tucson is running $3.17, a little better than $10.:eek:
What is a Certificate of Fittness? I have to get a smog test every other year, for $12.50.

SKP Kirk 10-29-2011 04:47 PM

If you store the RV in CA where you live, you will probably get caught sooner or later and they won't be happy about it. The law says that you must register a vehicle in the state where it stays when not being driven. If you wish to use AZ to register, then you will need to store the RV there as well.

CA has become very aggressive about enforcement of vehicle registration laws. There have been numerous stories in the RV magazines about this.

macnkat 10-29-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKP Kirk (Post 996033)
CA has become very aggressive about enforcement of vehicle registration laws. There have been numerous stories in the RV magazines about this.

Aggresive? How so? It's not very practical to pull over every out of state plate they see. If you have an out of state address there is not much they can do to prove you don't split time from one place to another.

dons2346 10-29-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macnkat (Post 996061)
Aggresive? How so? It's not very practical to pull over every out of state plate they see. If you have an out of state address there is not much they can do to prove you don't split time from one place to another.

It is your jealous neighbor that will turn you in.

w6pea 10-29-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKP Kirk (Post 996033)
If you store the RV in CA where you live, you will probably get caught sooner or later and they won't be happy about it. The law says that you must register a vehicle in the state where it stays when not being driven. If you wish to use AZ to register, then you will need to store the RV there as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macnkat (Post 996061)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dons2346 (Post 996236)
It is your jealous neighbor that will turn you in.

I have a couple of neighbors that have Baja, Mexico plates one has had his p/u truck registered there, he bought his a week or so after I bought my F-250 p/u.....he has never registered it in California. I have written letters to DMV and the CHP and my local police department. :eek: You guessed it they have yet to do anything about it. Also I can walk out on the street right now and count 10 to 12 vehicles with not only out of state.....but more like out of country licensee plates. :facepalm::frown::banghead:

Enough said before I get in trouble again. :whistling:

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T