iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Allison Transmission Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/)
-   -   Fail code 6942 only (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/fail-code-6942-only-108962.html)

2000 Damon 11-25-2011 01:22 AM

Fail code 6942 only

I am purchasing a 2000 Damon Escaper fixer upper. The previous owner passed away and I think he took his owners manuals with him. I ran a fail code test on the Allison 3060 transmission and have a 6942 fail code. No other codes appear when checking. I tried clearing the code several times and it comes back immediately. I had a technecian come by and put his computer on the coach and he thinks I need to either flash my ECU or replace if the flash doesn't work. The technician said the ECU would run around $ 2,400.:banghead: I talked to a mechanic friend about this he seems to think I can get the part # serial# off my current ECU and get a rebuilt one for around 3 to $400. Has any one out there got any advice on pro's, cons of ECU replacement or had this experience? I assume the cause of the problems was from an inproper connection on the engine batteries. One of the cables which has around 8 ground wires in it was connected to the positive terminal. I got that straightened out after talking to Charles at Spartan (nice guy)

2000 Damon Escaper 8.3 L ISC 300 HP with Allison 3060 Transmission on a Spartan chassis

Mike Canter 11-25-2011 10:00 AM

Have you looked up what the 6942 error codes means? Yes it is an indication of an ECU fault. I would say you have a good chance a reflash will fix it. Was this tech an Allison tech? Try totally disconnecting the chassis batteries for 15 minutes and clear the ECU then hook it all back up and see what happens. When I get home i have a more detailed manual on what that code means. That ECU is in the push button shifter control. If you had to buy one then I would buy a reconditioned one.

2000 Damon 11-26-2011 09:02 PM

The technician was from a Qualified Cummins Diesel repair shop. He wasn't as qualified on the Allison transmission. He called an Allison rep. in Salt Lake City who informed him after he couldn't clear the fault that I should attempt a flash. The 6942 fail code is ECU bad. The technician turned off the coach, I disconnected the negative battery termnals for 15 Minutes. I'm not sure if he turned the key switch on while we were waiting the 15 minutes or not. But 15 minutes later with the negative ground reconected we restarted and had the same fail during self test. And the idiot lights on the dash stayed on as before.

SSteve 04-12-2012 07:05 AM

2000 Damon,

What happened next??

Steve

2000 Damon 04-13-2012 12:13 PM

I bought the coach, parked it in the yard, I am replacing the bathroom and kitchen flooring with a vinyl hard wood look and and working on other things before I get back to the control unit.

2000 Damon 07-17-2012 08:48 PM

Update:: I finally have some extra time and money at the same time. I purchased a new ECU from a guy who sells old stock he has purchased over time. When I installed the new ECU the code fail went away on the allison switch control unit, the transmission overtemp warning light, the engine overtemp light, the shut down engine light and the transmission pressure warning lights on the dash all went away along with the annoying loud warning alarm. All is well in the 2000 Damon. She has new vinyl floor, no warning lights and is ready for her task master.