iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Unpack for Dealer Service? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/unpack-for-dealer-service-110003.html)

SarahW 12-07-2011 07:21 PM

Unpack for Dealer Service?

Yeah, another dufus question. :D I was just wondering if people unpack their "stuff" from the motorhome (dishes, pots, etc.) when dropping it off for service?

Seems like that would be silly, but I know most automotive shops have those "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST ARTICLES!" signs everywhere. Do you unpack...or throw caution to the wind?

NLOVNIT 12-07-2011 07:24 PM

I only take out perishables, so nothing goes bad. The rest stays.

Lori-

richvkansas 12-07-2011 08:16 PM

I agree with NLOVNIT and the perishables however don't forget to take out the guns that seem to be in 95% or so of the units.

TAZ 12-07-2011 08:34 PM

If you can't trust your service center how do you know they are honest with you about the work. We leave everything in and they secure the lot. We take out the guns but leave beer in the fridge. Tell then to help themselves after work to a cold one.

We get great service.

jzick 12-08-2011 05:39 AM

When we are ready to begin our 7 month annual journey, we load perishable food, personal toiletries, computers, medications, some DW work stuff and the dog. Everything else stays in the motorhome year round. When it goes for service everything except the above will stay with it.

bsirby 12-08-2011 08:12 AM

Many of us live in our MH full time. No place to unpack anything. Had to take last rig in for something and the cat, dog and all our stuff went with it. I have read on here that if they need to keep the motor home overnight that they make arrangements for hookups so that you can stay in the home. Haven't had to do that yet.

ahicks 12-08-2011 08:38 AM

I wouldn't leave perishables if leaving for a few days, and anytime I have to leave it, even for an hour or 2, the portable electronics are removed (from temptation).

bluck 12-08-2011 09:18 AM

Guns, binoculars, rangefinders, any hunting, fishing equiptment, and tools come out. Food, cloths etc. stay in.

mundyecoco1 12-08-2011 02:57 PM

Unpack for Dealer

They also have the statement posted not responsible, but if they are reputable then u shouldn't worry. If you take your unit more than once a year you have extra work you don't need!

docj 12-08-2011 03:07 PM

We had a residential refrigerator installed last September, along with some other work, and the shop that did the work made it possible for us to stay in the coach all but 2 nights. For those nights we got a hotel room that had a full-sized fridge and we transferred all our perishables to it until the new fridge was ready.

SarahW 12-08-2011 03:14 PM

Actually, I'm not concerned with anyone stealing my butter or other perishables...haha!! I was thinking more along the lines of household goods, etc.

Thanks for all the responses!

Cat320 12-08-2011 04:26 PM

We don't unpack anything. The dealer would soon be out of business if hel/she got a reputation for ripping people off while in for repairs.

wa8yxm 12-08-2011 06:46 PM

Most dealers have a sign: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ITEMS LEFT IN RV.

Most lawyers will tell you it's not worth the paper it is printed upon.

Which is true (The paper would be worth more WITHOUT the printing)

Ray,IN 12-08-2011 07:00 PM

We leave things as they are when we take our 5er for service. Only once has a item disappeared, a new-packaged, camo-rain suit I bought for hunting. The service manager promptly paid me for a replacement. A month later, I found the original stuffed in a cubby-hole, under the bed (which they worked on). Now I have two camo-rain suits; the service manger has the money back, a written apology, and a bushel of apples for the crew.