iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Another LCD Screen Installation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/another-lcd-screen-installation-110283.html)

RVNeophytes2 12-11-2011 07:53 PM

Another LCD Screen Installation

4 Attachment(s)
This time, it's a Vizio 32" LCD commonly found at Walmart with their mounting system, in a 2005 Fleetwood Excursion.

At issue was whether to put a 32" unit inside the overhead box, or get a 37" screen to ride atop the box (trim frame would be discarded, in this case).

We opted for the smaller screen, since we plan to replace the coach in 2012.

Out came the 77 lb Sylvania that had been hovering over our heads for the year, replaced with a Vizio 321VL 32" LCD that weighs in at 27 lbs.

I cleaned the cabinet, used 3M adhesive to re-attach the loose insulation mounted on the backside of the front cap's upper corner. Some ties bundled the loose array of wires back there, and I installed a plastic wire clamp to hold the power supply line for one of the retractable shades.

Two strips of 1/8" thick extruded aluminum angle were mounted running vertically up the sides of the box, mounted the combined thickness of TV and mounting bracket plus one half inch, using #10 panhead screws. Make sure the screws don't penetrate the upholstery on the outside of the box!

Once the angles were mounted, a mounting plate was fastened behind the angles, providing a rock-solid surface exactly parallel to the box edges, to which the mount will be attached.

I measured the mount location carefully; still, oval bolt holes are advised. The mount is attached with bolts equipped with fender washers and lock nuts. These items are left loose, initially. Only after the TV is in place and the mount lock is engaged, are the through-bolts tightened.

And, it was a tight fit! Were the TV an eighth of an inch wider, it would not have fit in the cabinet.

Once the TV is squared inside the cabinet, and the wires are connected, the mounting bolts can be tightened. In our case, we cut dense-cell foam blocks to protect the front of the TV from metal brackets used to mount the existing wood trim frame encircling the outer edge of the cabinet.

Our first thought had been to make the front of the TV flush against the wood frame, but we decided to create a half-inch gap. Good thing: with the foam wedged between the brackets and TV, the frame made for a tight fit!

Pictures (1) The exterior frame is removed and the Sylvania is ready for extraction (2) Aluminum extrusions are fabricated and mounted, a back plate is installed (3) The flat screen is mounted, side brackets are reinstalled (4) The finished product!

Notice the foam Baby Guard on the corner of the trim frame: many people have climbed the stairs only to be dropped to their knees by that hard corner!

mgosselin 12-11-2011 08:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just finished changing out the front tv to a 37" and the back tv to a 32". Also changed out the home theater to a new LG system and it is awesome. Looking forward to our trips over the holidays. Attached pictures of the finished look. Still need to get the one door trimmed so it will fit.

RVNeophytes2 12-11-2011 10:30 PM

Great Job!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgosselin (Post 1031100)
Just finished changing out the front tv to a 37" and the back tv to a 32". Also changed out the home theater to a new LG system and it is awesome. Looking forward to our trips over the holidays. Attached pictures of the finished look. Still need to get the one door trimmed so it will fit.

Mike, I was worried about my right side control panel door clearing the screen edge. Trimming the door is a great idea.

It looks perfect!