iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   '02 ,'03, '04, Southwind factory installed solar panel ?? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/02-03-04-southwind-factory-installed-solar-panel-11584.html)

BillArf 02-11-2006 04:59 AM

For those of you that own an '02 ,'03, '04, Southwind say 32VS or similar Southwind RV... Please tell me what you know in regard to the factory installed solar panel. I'm looking for specifics on which, chassis or house batteries or both gets a trickle charge from the solar panel? When do you see your solar monitoring led light on..... always when the sun is shining, occasionally, etc.? Do you believe your solar panel is affected by turning off either or both (be specific) of the disconnect switchs? Anything helpful you can tell me? Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes, I have spent the last hour doing searches here in regard to my questions but I have found myself more confused after the search.

BillArf 02-11-2006 04:59 AM

For those of you that own an '02 ,'03, '04, Southwind say 32VS or similar Southwind RV... Please tell me what you know in regard to the factory installed solar panel. I'm looking for specifics on which, chassis or house batteries or both gets a trickle charge from the solar panel? When do you see your solar monitoring led light on..... always when the sun is shining, occasionally, etc.? Do you believe your solar panel is affected by turning off either or both (be specific) of the disconnect switchs? Anything helpful you can tell me? Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes, I have spent the last hour doing searches here in regard to my questions but I have found myself more confused after the search.

Loren 02-11-2006 05:25 PM

Bill,
I don't have a Southwind, but I can answer some of your questions.On our rig the panel maintains the chassis battery. The panel will not charge a battery (it's too small for that), it is meant to maintain a charge, to offset the 'phantom loads' such as the propane detector, engine and transmission computers, radio memory, etc. The red LED light should be on when the sun is shining, it just means there is an electrical current flowing; of course, since it is a diode, it prevents current flowing the wrong way when the sun isn't out.
The disconnect switches will not affect the solar panel, they also will not turn off the phantom loads.
Hope this helps a little,
Loren

BillArf 02-12-2006 08:01 AM

Loren... Thanks for your reply!

wilanddij 02-13-2006 01:03 PM

When I stored the 32VS uncovered, the solar panel kept the chassis and both house batteried fully charged. The first time I stored the unit under a cover, I did not disconnect any of the batteries. The parasitic loads totally discharged the chassis battery and toasted it. The house batteries were discharged quite a bit, but came back and still hold a charge. Now, I turn off both disconnects and manually disconnect the chassis battery when in storage.