iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   1994 Allegro Bay Automatic Step not working (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/1994-allegro-bay-automatic-step-not-working-118093.html)

fischerj 03-16-2012 04:12 PM

1994 Allegro Bay Automatic Step not working

Does anyone know how to manually get the step to come out. It is stuck in the retracted position.

Thanks,

Jay

Steve N Sal 03-16-2012 04:24 PM

There's probably a pin and cotter key to remove but getting at it in the retracted position might be a problem. Whatever you do before working on it make sure you have the step unplugged or the power to it shut off. You don't want it for some reason or another to possibly open when you have your hands somewhere where they shouldn't be if it happens.:eek: Those things are NON-FORGIVING for a lack of a better word. Good Luck and be careful to say the least.:thumb:

lwasouth 03-16-2012 07:15 PM

Had this happen on a Winnebago Adventurer on a Workhorse chassis. It was a fuse, not marked as the step, but up under the front hood. Checked all until I found It. I believe it said Radio on the fuse.

Jim_HiTek 03-16-2012 08:42 PM

Check the connectors while you're under there (safety first!) because in many RVs it is exposed to road water, etc. Clean and spray with contact cleaner...perhaps slather it with dielectric grease to prevent moisture intrusion.

Then there is the magnetic switch on the door. If there's a wire open there, it will stay in the last position it was in before the wire broke.

fischerj 03-25-2012 10:22 AM

I followed the instructions in the manual to check to see if the motor was bad and it check out bad. I connected the ground wire to the yellow wire going into the motor and the step should have opened.

I am looking for a new motor and while I'm at I should probably get a control box. The cheapest I found so far is $202 from PPL in houston. It that the best price I will probably find?

I would like to find a comparable price in Baton Rouge so I can avoid shipping costs.

Thanks,

Jay

Clay L 03-25-2012 02:04 PM

Here are some possible sources for inexpensive replacements I have saved from various threads over the years.

" 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping.

2) www.rvdealership.com that sells a repair parts kit made specifically for these units - includes gears.

3) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.

4) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20

5) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "

Also these guys rebuild the older non-encapsulated circuit boards: HERE

ga traveler 03-25-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek (Post 1115957)
Check the connectors while you're under there (safety first!) because in many RVs it is exposed to road water, etc. Clean and spray with contact cleaner...perhaps slather it with dielectric grease to prevent moisture intrusion.

Then there is the magnetic switch on the door. If there's a wire open there, it will stay in the last position it was in before the wire broke.

Not trying to be picky Jim, but the step will go in or out according to the switch, if the switch wire breaks. Kwikee used two different switches. One normally open and the other normally closed. So if the wire breaks the step will deploy or retract according to which switch is used.