iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   SK-3005...Searching, searching, searching (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/sk-3005-searching-searching-searching-118692.html)

777 Driver 03-22-2012 07:03 PM

SK-3005...Searching, searching, searching

When I bought the coach 2 years ago, the dealer installed a Winegard SK-3005. I have purchased a DirecTV receiver and want to, finally, get connected to DirecTV.

So, today I was at the storage facility and powered up the Winegard so I could start the fun with DirecTV Customer Service. Well, it wasn't much fun, because I could not get beyond searching for a satellite signal. I put in a call to Winegard Customer Service; left my name & number and waited for a call back. It didn't happen.

So, my question for anyone is, "How long should the SK-3005 continue searching for a satellite?" I waited more than 10 minutes. It would change elevation, rotate around, pause, change elevation, rotate around, etc. I tried to power down and reattempt the process with the same results. One other item that may, or may not, be relevant - the coach was NOT level during this process. After several attempts and a 45 minute wait for a call back from Winegard Customer Service, I powered down and went home.

So, before I try again sometime, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks, in advance.

Take care,
Stu

schneid 03-22-2012 08:01 PM

What receiver are you using? The new H25's are SWM only and will not work right off with the SK-3005.

Did you go to Settings and select Slimline-5 and Multiswitch?

777 Driver 03-22-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneid
What receiver are you using? The new H25's are SWM only and will not work right off with the SK-3005.

Did you go to Settings and select Slimline-5 and Multiswitch?

It's a HR24 receiver. Yes, the settings show Slimline-5 and Multiswitch.

HOWEVER, the antenna NEVER acquired any of the satellites. It just kept searching.

Take care,
Stu

FlyingDiver 03-22-2012 08:41 PM

I have to ask.

Are you sure it had clear line of sight to the DirecTV satellites from where it was parked?

Also, was the coach level? The search algorithms assume that the dish mount is level to search properly.

joe

777 Driver 03-22-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
I have to ask.

Are you sure it had clear line of sight to the DirecTV satellites from where it was parked?

Also, was the coach level? The search algorithms assume that the dish mount is level to search properly.

joe

Line of sight was NOT a problem!

As I stated, level WAS a possible issue. As I look at the Winegard site, and as I think about how the Winegard might search for a satellite, it seems that level would be a significant factor.

I guess my question is, how much of a problem is an unlevel condition. Perhaps I should move the coach to a level spot and re-attempt the process.

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

Take care,
Stu

FlyingDiver 03-22-2012 09:40 PM

Sorry, I missed the comment about not being level in the original post.

Level is actually a big deal. They do a sort of grid search, and assume that they'll hit a satellite when the intersect the orbital plane. They usually do, but it's almost never the 101 DirecTV bird. So they figure out which one it was, then reposition the dish to where they think the correct one should be. If there's any significant tilt to the platform, they won't find 101 in the right place, so they keep searching.

joe

777 Driver 03-22-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

they keep searching.

joe

Yeah, I was thinking that could be a likely problem.

I think that I'll move the coach to a place where I can leve it and try again.

Thanks for your help!

Take care,
Stu

hamguy 03-23-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 777 Driver (Post 1121982)
When I bought the coach 2 years ago, the dealer installed a Winegard SK-3005. I have purchased a DirecTV receiver and want to, finally, get connected to DirecTV.

So, today I was at the storage facility and powered up the Winegard so I could start the fun with DirecTV Customer Service. Well, it wasn't much fun, because I could not get beyond searching for a satellite signal. I put in a call to Winegard Customer Service; left my name & number and waited for a call back. It didn't happen.

So, my question for anyone is, "How long should the SK-3005 continue searching for a satellite?" I waited more than 10 minutes. It would change elevation, rotate around, pause, change elevation, rotate around, etc. I tried to power down and reattempt the process with the same results. One other item that may, or may not, be relevant - the coach was NOT level during this process. After several attempts and a 45 minute wait for a call back from Winegard Customer Service, I powered down and went home.

So, before I try again sometime, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks, in advance.

Take care,
Stu

Call Direct and have them reinstate your receiver 'card'. If it has set unused for over a month, it needs to be reinstated.

FlyingDiver 03-23-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamguy (Post 1122679)
Call Direct and have them reinstate your receiver 'card'. If it has set unused for over a month, it needs to be reinstated.

He doesn't need the receiver to be activated to get the Winegard to point correctly. This is a dish problem, not a receiver problem.

joe

777 Driver 03-23-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

He doesn't need the receiver to be activated to get the Winegard to point correctly. This is a dish problem, not a receiver problem.

joe

Thanks, Joe.

I believe that's the problem. Failure to acquire signal from any of the satellites. It's not a DirecTV issue, yet.

Further, I believe that once the coach is reasonably level, the satellite acquisition issue will be resolved. It'll be a few days before I have a chance to try that.

Take care,
Stu

SCVJeff 03-24-2012 03:45 AM

The antenna does not require the coach to be level in any direction since the antenna does X-Y-Z adjustment completely independent of it's mount.

If the antenna has no clue where you are, especially if you have made significant Latitude changes since it last saw anything.
When mine boots, it 1st goes to where it last was, after that is pans that elevation assuming (I assume) you just moved in the region. Even a move from Ventura to Quartzsite doesn't cause it to much problem since it's a lateral move. Give it more time and see if it gives you a failure error.

777 Driver 03-24-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCVJeff
Give it more time and see if it gives you a failure error.

Thanks, SVCJeff.

I was a little rushed and impatient last time I tried.

Next time I try, I'll level the coach and give the antenna a better chance (level and more time) to sort out where the satellites are.

Looking forward to our first extended trip in the coach in May and I'm trying to get it all set to go!

Take care,
Stu

SCVJeff 03-24-2012 11:24 AM

Btw... The antenna has no GPS, so it's a hunt & peck algorithm, but a really good one. I asked the factory once how it did it search, and they wouldn't talk at all, claiming there was a patent on it.

777 Driver 03-24-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCVJeff
Btw... The antenna has no GPS, so it's a hunt & peck algorithm, but a really good one. I asked the factory once how it did it search, and they wouldn't talk at all, claiming there was a patent on it.

I had presumed that the antenna used a GPS. However, while watching the antenna search, it's apparent that it doesn' know exactly where to aim. Rather, as you suggested, it's doing some sort of logical search. I'm sure it makes sense to the designers to do it that way??? I guess that it would seem easy to include a simple GPS, compass and level. With that info, it should be able to point right at the satellite constellation without any searching, right?

I know that ensuring the mount is plumb is important for portable and residential antennas. It makes sense that if the coach isn't level, solving the search algorithm would be more difficult and, logically, take more time.

The last time that the system locked on to the satellites was when it was installed by the dealer. That was about 200 miles north of it's present location; a little more than 3 degrees latitude.

So, next time, I'll move to a more level spot and give the antenna more time to complete it's search.

Thanks, again, SCVJeff for sharing your understanding of how the Winegard works.

Take care,
Stu