iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   This MH is cooking my goose! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/this-mh-is-cooking-my-goose-122440.html)

MSHappyCampers 04-30-2012 05:27 PM

This MH is cooking my goose!

We took a short 100 mile trip today to get the MH serviced, and coming back were facing the sun. The outside temp was about 90 degrees. We had the dash air conditioning wide open and were burning up! The air coming from the dash vents is cold, but does not seem to be as cold as it should be. I plan to have it checked tommorrow to see if it is working properly. That huge windshield is great for the view, but is even better as a thermal heater! :banghead: My question is, do you folks have this problem ? I have heard that some folks run their generators and air conditioners on the road and it seems that may be the only solution. I hate to think about the extra diesel it will take, but we enjoy traveling while sweating! Thanks for your advice! :D

Southernboy 04-30-2012 05:32 PM

I run generator & both ac's & dash plus a fan if needed:dance:

Cousin Ed 04-30-2012 05:35 PM

Mostly the dash air works for us, but if it's really hot we run the genset for the house air. The dog travels in his crate back in the livingroom area; so sometimes we just run it for him. At 1/2 to 1 gal an hour, how much a difference will it make. Coming home from FL this spring was $ 757 in fuel; so if was hot and we ran the house air it might have cost 780 or 790......

tmar10 04-30-2012 05:35 PM

Generator and AC while on the road. No need to suffer.

jzick 04-30-2012 05:37 PM

Comfort is always what drives our decisions. We rarely travel in the summer without the genny and house AC on.

JayGee 04-30-2012 05:40 PM

I run the house air from the generator and run the fans up front if the dash A/C won't do the job. I do not need the dash A/C when I do that. The fuel use sorta balances out with improved engine mileage (maybe, I hope) and the use of the generator.

We almost always fire up the gennie and the house air before we stop for a campground. The engine/drive train heats up the house as soon as we stop so we need the cool down from the house air.

40GnTX 04-30-2012 05:42 PM

We run both -- no sense in being uncomfortable especially at 2 bucks an hour!!:thumb:

az bound 04-30-2012 05:43 PM

Running the genny and using the house ac is about the only way to keep it cool. I have seen some that use a curtain to section of behind the driver/passenger seats and run only the dash ac but have not done so.
I dont know which genny you have but most use less than 1 gallon per hour so that would be less than a gallon for every 60 miles traveled, very small impact on mileage.

CLIFFTALL 04-30-2012 05:46 PM

I use my genny whenever we need a/c. I heard that the dash air will reduce your mpg more than the genny will. Don't know or care if that's true. I treasure my comfort.

macantic 04-30-2012 05:48 PM

Get the windows tinted,it makes a big difference.

sdennislee 04-30-2012 05:54 PM

Anything over 72 is uncomfortable for me, so you bet I have the generator going and both AC units fired up.

THis past month in TX my electric bill for the MH was $167.00 compared to the neighbors at $70.00.

Everyone asks how can we stand the Alaska cold, we can add a coat. THe real question is how do you guys stand the temps in the 80s and above? You can only take so much off before being arrested.

If yo haven't read it yet, this post offers an answer to your question
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/so-y...od-122196.html

YC1 04-30-2012 06:01 PM

If you have the diesel generator it will use around .5 gallons per hour. Not bad. No way a dash ac will cool a large mh out here in Kalifornia unless you are on the coast or high in the Sierras and even then in the Summer forget it.

Tha_Rooster 04-30-2012 06:17 PM

I would say everyone has that problem. Your probably getting hot air leaking in also it's like cooling your whole house with a window air conditioner it's cool by it but go to the back.

Pusherman 04-30-2012 06:23 PM

Another solution is to have a front shade system installed in your coach, such as the MCI system. They do allow a slight lowering of the front shade while driving, which may provide you some relief.

greystroke 04-30-2012 06:24 PM

Dash works fine but when the temp starts climbing I run one of the overhead ACs. Sometimees I just turn the Dash Air off.

MSHappyCampers 04-30-2012 06:51 PM

Thanks guys, for all your replies. You have confirmed what I suspected, that people run their generators and the house A/C's to keep cool. Maybe another 1/2 gallon per hour won't break the bank! :thumb::D

mavric65 04-30-2012 07:37 PM

Yes when its hot i definitely run the roof air with that sun beating in the big front window and i run the dash air at the same time.....

gg 04-30-2012 07:44 PM

We found to keep cool or warm we simply cut down on the space with a Drape from JC Penney. We mounted on a cherry wood trac to the upper cabinets with no mount to the ceiling. see pics Works great in 100 deg to 5 Degs as the DW says so:bow:

Some basic facts: front seating area= 8 ft wide by 7ft tall by 5 ft or more back with a huge tinted windshield is approx 280 Cubic feet.

1. The Dash cooling system is like one from a Chev Suburban but has more footage to cool or heat. Chev adds rear units to help the back but still the same compressor.

2. Check you dash air cond unit with a good thermometer it should drop 20 degs or more at the dash outlet compared to the ambient. I checked my system with a service gage set and adj the amount of 134 r to obtain a diff of 26 degs. Never right from Factory

3. Check you control setting for AIR cond I found the setting not like my car so I had to check the owner manual.

4. My SCS mfg for a Monaco Safari AC does have a vaccum controlled hot water shut of to the AC evap core (no mixing) when the MAX setting is used. In this position the air flow is recirculated in the coach and stops the intake of hot air from the AC box setting above a hot engine. So this is the position for the 100 deg days.

5. Deploying the electric black sunscreen helps reduce the solar gain and the rear Drape reduces the space.

The additional benefit I found = The Drape is easy to deploy conpared to the windshield drape for bedtime and no moisture collection in the morning for that early departure:).

Tallyrver 04-30-2012 07:53 PM

When it's hot like this past weekend ,I run the genny and the house ac's.

The trip computer says at 63 mph with the dash ac running I get 8.0 mpg.
With the genny and house ac's I get 8.4. It's cheaper to run the generator ,and the DW is happy also.:dance:

Wayne

BFlinn181 04-30-2012 07:53 PM

Make sure you have the dash air set to 'Max Air' so you recirculate the interior air instead of cooling/drying outside air. It can make a big difference.

06workhorse 04-30-2012 07:56 PM

check your operating manual my georgie boy says th dash air is not for cooling the living part of the motor home.

tomwalt 04-30-2012 08:01 PM

X2, genny and house AC on, no dash AC, plus I keep the door to the back area closed so I only air condition the front section of the RV.

TAZ 04-30-2012 08:07 PM

Like most of us, we run the gen and house AC while traveling. In a days travel we only burn anouther 4 gallons in fuel. Small price to pay for comfort. If we were worried about fuel we would not be driving a barn down the interstate. :)

SarahW 04-30-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifftall (Post 1161222)
I use my genny whenever we need a/c. I heard that the dash air will reduce your mpg more than the genny will. Don't know or care if that's true. I treasure my comfort.

What Cliff said. :D

gg 04-30-2012 08:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Try on Pics of drape again

Mr_D 04-30-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YC1 (Post 1161238)
If you have the diesel generator it will use around .5 gallons per hour. Not bad. No way a dash ac will cool a large mh out here in Kalifornia unless you are on the coast or high in the Sierras and even then in the Summer forget it.

Our 8Kw Power Tech uses .72 gph at full load, the Onan's use more.

sdennislee 04-30-2012 09:02 PM

Nice look gg

sdennislee 04-30-2012 09:04 PM

i don't care what it costs to run my generator. As TAZ said if I was concerned about cost, a MH wouldn't be my mode of travel.

I have a MH only because I want to be comfortable on the road and off.

MSHappyCampers 04-30-2012 09:07 PM

Great suggestions! I'm gonna take a serious look at the curtain thingy! :bow:

AGP 04-30-2012 09:07 PM

Run the generator for House ac's and dash air as needed. Usually when above 90 degrees.

JohnRR 04-30-2012 09:20 PM

Am I the only one that cracks the LR windows open a few inches and opens the roof vents while traveling in really hot temps? My wife says it's like a hurricane back there while traveling like that and the thermometers usually show 68ish degrees.

When stopping then turn the gen/ac on.

The bedroom does not cool since we have a swing type door and travel with it shut.

djbmsu 04-30-2012 09:26 PM

Our 2011 Allegro RED dash A/C blows ice cold air. We live in Florida and will start the Gen and A/C about 30 minutes before stopping so the coach is cool.

iRV4FUN 04-30-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee (Post 1161213)
We almost always fire up the gennie and the house air before we stop for a campground. The engine/drive train heats up the house as soon as we stop so we need the cool down from the house air.

I've added an extra layer of foil and two 4-inch 230 CFM in line doghouse blowers. When we stop at night we have a much faster cool down.

Added along the top a 10" strip of Removable Window Tint. Tinting seems to help.

Our propane generator is very efficient. It amazes me how little propane is used after a long day of running our house AC. So we run it along with our dash AC.

I like the idea of closing the bedroom door while enroute.

MSHappyCampers 05-01-2012 08:53 AM

Another question comes to mind here. If you run the generator all the time while traveling you're gonna run up a lot of hours on it. I think my book says to service the generator every 100 hours. Do you adhere to that or let it go longer? :confused:

CLIFFTALL 05-01-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers
Another question comes to mind here. If you run the generator all the time while traveling you're gonna run up a lot of hours on it. I think my book says to service the generator every 100 hours. Do you adhere to that or let it go longer? :confused:

First of all , we don't require it 100% of the time. Even if we did , 100 hours is 6000 miles @ 60 mph. That could be a years worth for most people. My Onan 5500 gas calls for an oil change once a year or 150 hours. Never had to do more than one a year. That included a 14,000 mile trip to Alaska.

hyder2300 05-01-2012 03:43 PM

Genset and both coach ACs. Thought about the curtain idea but figured there would be to much whining from the kids in back! ;))

Lincolnboy2 05-01-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahW (Post 1161453)
What Cliff said. :D

X3 :D

George Schweikle 05-01-2012 04:56 PM

Agreed that it takes both dash and roof air (with the generator). Even with our first, 26 ft. Safari Trek and our current 28 ft. version, which don't have as much interior space as some of you people, if you are driving directly into the summer sun, you need everything you can do to offset the solar gain through the big front windshield.

catonine 05-01-2012 06:47 PM

I also have a curtain similar to the one shown earlier. However, I do run the generator when temps get in high 80's and higher since that panoramic windshield turns into a panoramic heater real quick. Since the generator uses about .5 gallons per hour, the cost is not that great and the benefits are huge. I rarely put 100 hours a year on the generator but service it each year regardless of miles.

JC2 05-01-2012 07:17 PM

9 times out of 10 our gennie is running when the coach is moving. Oil and filter are changed every year or 150hrs, which ever come first. A usuage of approx .6 gph is a small price to pay for comfort and keeps the gennie from plugging up from non-use.:whistling:

az bound 05-01-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 1161925)

Most generator issues reported are from lack of use not over use. I change the oil and filter regularly at 150 hrs.
I can attest to one Onan genny of 1974 vintage with over 28,000 hours on it and still going. :thumb:

40GnTX 05-02-2012 11:29 AM

When my wife and I were into power boating we regularly ran our genset for days at a time! Our longest was 7 days on the boat and the genset was on the whole time. They are made to run! When we sold our boat we had 250 hours on the engines and the generator had around 1,000 on it. We serviced it annually and never had a problem other than replacing the belt twice a year!

barbaram 05-03-2012 10:03 AM

Use our generator when hot also - works great - wouldn't trade that view from the front for anything - why we call MH "Seemore." Love it

DriVer 05-03-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg (Post 1161464)
Try on Pics of drape again

That's a nice solution. Your dash AC should be able to keep up cooling the smaller space.

ladybostons 05-03-2012 02:34 PM

We run the generator and both air conditioners. No reason to be uncomfortable. Plus, we worry about our dogs who ride in crates in the dinning area.

gg 05-09-2012 08:07 PM

If you have kids in the back then the drape won't help them:sad:. I have noticed a lot of dogs and cats riding on the dash:D. The DRAPE It is a fuel efficient way to heat or cool the front area quickly. Our first Chev Van had the drape, and provided the same function for 80,000 pulse miles of seeing the USA in the Hot summer months. We tend to avoid the summer heat now when we have a choice:dance:.

ladybostons 05-10-2012 01:27 AM

What is the drape? Is this something you use while driving? Our doggies are in kennels in the front of the coach behind my DH's recliner. I would never put them in the back of the mh. It is too noisy and warm. This way I can keep an eye on them while we are traveling. I would never let our guys ride loose. If there were an accident or emergency they would be frightened and it would be hard for strangers to help get them out of the motorhome quickly. With them in their crates...you just grab the crates and out they go and they won't be running loose.

OldChief7155 05-10-2012 03:57 AM

Run the house air and turn off the dash air in the desert or when pulling long grades in hot weather. Surprising how much cooler he engine runs.

GoodTimes 05-10-2012 07:31 AM

If you're like most, your generator isn't getting run NEARLY ENUF to keep it in good working order. Run the generator and be comfortable. You're this much $$$ into it, what's a few more $$ gonna hurt? It's good for you AND the gen!