iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   This MH is cooking my goose! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/this-mh-is-cooking-my-goose-122440.html)

greystroke 04-30-2012 06:24 PM

Dash works fine but when the temp starts climbing I run one of the overhead ACs. Sometimees I just turn the Dash Air off.

MSHappyCampers 04-30-2012 06:51 PM

Thanks guys, for all your replies. You have confirmed what I suspected, that people run their generators and the house A/C's to keep cool. Maybe another 1/2 gallon per hour won't break the bank! :thumb::D

mavric65 04-30-2012 07:37 PM

Yes when its hot i definitely run the roof air with that sun beating in the big front window and i run the dash air at the same time.....

gg 04-30-2012 07:44 PM

We found to keep cool or warm we simply cut down on the space with a Drape from JC Penney. We mounted on a cherry wood trac to the upper cabinets with no mount to the ceiling. see pics Works great in 100 deg to 5 Degs as the DW says so:bow:

Some basic facts: front seating area= 8 ft wide by 7ft tall by 5 ft or more back with a huge tinted windshield is approx 280 Cubic feet.

1. The Dash cooling system is like one from a Chev Suburban but has more footage to cool or heat. Chev adds rear units to help the back but still the same compressor.

2. Check you dash air cond unit with a good thermometer it should drop 20 degs or more at the dash outlet compared to the ambient. I checked my system with a service gage set and adj the amount of 134 r to obtain a diff of 26 degs. Never right from Factory

3. Check you control setting for AIR cond I found the setting not like my car so I had to check the owner manual.

4. My SCS mfg for a Monaco Safari AC does have a vaccum controlled hot water shut of to the AC evap core (no mixing) when the MAX setting is used. In this position the air flow is recirculated in the coach and stops the intake of hot air from the AC box setting above a hot engine. So this is the position for the 100 deg days.

5. Deploying the electric black sunscreen helps reduce the solar gain and the rear Drape reduces the space.

The additional benefit I found = The Drape is easy to deploy conpared to the windshield drape for bedtime and no moisture collection in the morning for that early departure:).

Tallyrver 04-30-2012 07:53 PM

When it's hot like this past weekend ,I run the genny and the house ac's.

The trip computer says at 63 mph with the dash ac running I get 8.0 mpg.
With the genny and house ac's I get 8.4. It's cheaper to run the generator ,and the DW is happy also.:dance:

Wayne

BFlinn181 04-30-2012 07:53 PM

Make sure you have the dash air set to 'Max Air' so you recirculate the interior air instead of cooling/drying outside air. It can make a big difference.

06workhorse 04-30-2012 07:56 PM

check your operating manual my georgie boy says th dash air is not for cooling the living part of the motor home.

tomwalt 04-30-2012 08:01 PM

X2, genny and house AC on, no dash AC, plus I keep the door to the back area closed so I only air condition the front section of the RV.

TAZ 04-30-2012 08:07 PM

Like most of us, we run the gen and house AC while traveling. In a days travel we only burn anouther 4 gallons in fuel. Small price to pay for comfort. If we were worried about fuel we would not be driving a barn down the interstate. :)

SarahW 04-30-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifftall (Post 1161222)
I use my genny whenever we need a/c. I heard that the dash air will reduce your mpg more than the genny will. Don't know or care if that's true. I treasure my comfort.

What Cliff said. :D

gg 04-30-2012 08:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Try on Pics of drape again

Mr_D 04-30-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YC1 (Post 1161238)
If you have the diesel generator it will use around .5 gallons per hour. Not bad. No way a dash ac will cool a large mh out here in Kalifornia unless you are on the coast or high in the Sierras and even then in the Summer forget it.

Our 8Kw Power Tech uses .72 gph at full load, the Onan's use more.

sdennislee 04-30-2012 09:02 PM

Nice look gg

sdennislee 04-30-2012 09:04 PM

i don't care what it costs to run my generator. As TAZ said if I was concerned about cost, a MH wouldn't be my mode of travel.

I have a MH only because I want to be comfortable on the road and off.