iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (
-   -   Transfer switch in-op (

oldernewby 05-03-2012 08:49 PM

Transfer switch in-op
Finally got my 2001 Monaco Monarc home.Really new at this so bear with me.
Had never heard or for that matter knew if the generator ran. Started right up. Waited a couple minutes then tried A/C it worked. I had new house batteries put in so I hooked up to 110v outlet, plugged the adapters into the camper cord, transfer switch hummed pretty loud I thought but relays do hum and thought I was being to cautious, put refer on A/C and it started cooling down so I thought enough for one day. Left it plugged in overnight came back, batteries full charge refer cold, so I thought I had it made. Got a 230v three prong plug and checked voltages everything was normal. 115v on each side to ground. Plugged camper into it and the transfer switch really hummed or vibrated and quit after 30 seconds. Now the transfer relays do not engage and I have no voltage on downstream side of relays. Started generator, A/C does not work. Checked what breakers I could find all seemed ok. Has to be a fuse , but where? Have read the owners manual but I guess I have missed something. Pretty upset with myself.
Any hints?
Thanks ,

Mike Canter 05-03-2012 09:13 PM

I hope you just made an error and 230 v three prong plug wrong and really meant to say 110 volt 30 amp three prong plug? If you really plugged it into 230 volts then that caused the problem.

Mageksl 05-03-2012 10:17 PM

As Mike said if you plugged it into 230v that would be your problem. You probably let the smoke out of your transfer switch. :eek:

4Knights 05-03-2012 10:20 PM

You say you plugged into 230volts, how? Did you connect to your dryer outlet in the house? If so you may have just fried your auto transfer switch which is why even though your gen set runs you get no power. Not an electrician, just read multiple threads about folks and electricians wiring outlets wrong. From what I read you need 30/50 amp RV Outlet on the house with single pole breaker, that way you get the needed power at 110/120volts not 220/240 that a dryer outlet provides.

oldernewby 05-04-2012 06:31 AM

Thanks folks,
Yup thats what I did. Hooked to dryer outlet...
No wonder I am not rich, have to keep repairing my stupid mistakes.

JimM68 05-04-2012 06:36 AM

As long as you're buying a new transfer switch, they make some nice ones these days with built in surge protection and such

mahon1993 05-04-2012 06:49 AM

Isn't this about the 10,000th time this had happened to someone??

Mike Canter 05-04-2012 07:15 AM

Now 100001

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.