iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   If you own a gas class a, thank me! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/if-you-own-a-gas-class-a-thank-me-122905.html)

62_inrightlane 05-05-2012 09:16 AM

If you own a gas class a, thank me!

When I sold my gas class A and purchased a class A DP on March 17th the gap between the cost of gas and diesel was about a $0.20 a gallon around here.

Since my purchase, deisel has stayed around $4 a gallon and gas has dropped to an average of $3.46 around here. Now we have a gap of $0.53 a gallon, gas vs.deisel.

Just seems to be the way things go for me. :banghead:

luvlabs 05-05-2012 09:44 AM

Your observation is exactly why we chose a gas coach over a diesel. That and the premium placed on the diesel chassis compared to gas. When mileage is almost equal, its hard to make up the difference between the two.

MaverickBBD 05-05-2012 10:25 AM

It's gonna be what it's gonna be.

Vegasdan 05-05-2012 10:51 AM

In my case I look at a gas A getting 8 MPG and my DP getting 10.

PlayItForwrd 05-05-2012 11:26 AM

My Allegro got 7.4 mpg pulling my 7000# boat around last year. I could barely manage 7-anything in any gas MH I've ever owned, and towing pulls an easy 2 mpg off the non-towing average.

And BTW, diesel prices are attached to gas prices with a 3-week long flexible tow-rope... gas moves now, diesel waits but catches up. But there's no getting around the 'premium' price, which is simply a function of greed imo...

FDchief 05-05-2012 11:34 AM

As I am getting ready to drive around the country, thanks a million $$$$

JacknKay 05-05-2012 12:34 PM

Heard on the news yesterday that the price of oil dropped last week, which has no apparent relation to the increase in the price of gas around here last week. Doesn't make sense to me.

wa8yxm 05-05-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane (Post 1166604)
When I sold my gas class A and purchased a class A DP on March 17th the gap between the cost of gas and diesel was about a $0.20 a gallon around here.

Since my purchase, deisel has stayed around $4 a gallon and gas has dropped to an average of $3.46 around here. Now we have a gap of $0.53 a gallon, gas vs.deisel.

Just seems to be the way things go for me. :banghead:

There are some natural laws, Often called MURPHY's LAWS, which one can not avoid.

Such as: The other line goes faster,,, and should you switch lines, the one you just left speeds up.

You have found yet another of them.

Murphy's laws simplified: You are screwed!

Sky_Boss 05-05-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa8yxm (Post 1166832)
There are some natural laws, Often called MURPHY's LAWS, which one can not avoid.

Such as: The other line goes faster,,, and should you switch lines, the one you just left speeds up.

A well known corollary to Murphy's Law...Murphy was an optimist.

ninos 05-05-2012 01:22 PM

I have owned both gas and diesel and you can not compare the gas coach to a diesel, having a diesel it's not just for the fuel economy there are a lot of benefits other then fuel savings. I won't say I will never own a gas coach because you never now what the future holds but if I can afford I will always have a diesel, that's just my opinion. Joe

Fred and Bonnie 05-05-2012 03:08 PM

It's like the issue with hybrid auto's. What's the payback time period. I'm willing to bet you need to keep a DP over ten years and put over 100,000 miles on it to brake even on MPG.

fred

bucks2 05-05-2012 04:07 PM

If miles per gallon is the top priority buy a sleeping bag and the cheapest Kia you can find. Take out the back seat and put in a makeshift bed. If you want a quiet, comfortable ride then the diesel pusher sets the bar. Everything else is a compromise from there. If a gasser fits your needs there are lots of them out there. If a diesel fits your needs, then that's the one to buy. I spend 7 months a year in mine and travel about 10,000 miles each year. I like my diesel.

62_inrightlane 05-05-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa8yxm (Post 1166832)

:rofl:

Exactly right. :D

I didn't by a DP for the cost of fuel gap vs gas, but the increased MPG vs the cost difference was a nice plus for about 6 weeks. :rolleyes:

62_inrightlane 05-05-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninos (Post 1166872)
I have owned both gas and diesel and you can not compare the gas coach to a diesel, having a diesel it's not just for the fuel economy there are a lot of benefits other then fuel savings. I won't say I will never own a gas coach because you never now what the future holds but if I can afford I will always have a diesel, that's just my opinion. Joe

Joe, you are exactly right. Same for me. the gas vs diesel cost was just a nice plus.

I went with a DP for the air ride quality, weight capacity, nicer appointments and the quietness in the cockpit when under power!

I have not been disappointed!