iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Metal noise from slide?? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/metal-noise-from-slide-124325.html)

troyrice76 05-20-2012 01:04 PM

Metal noise from slide??

Drove back from Lazydays on Thursday to NC. When we got to SC I noticed a metal on metal noise coming from right behind me. Got home and shook the slide but could not reproduce it. Cleaned the coach and pulled the slides back in and drove it over to the office to get it plugged in. About halfway to the office the metal on metal noise started again. I know these things do not ride quiet like a care but am trying to see if there is maybe a bigger problem I need to look at. I wonder if the slide is moving out a little bit after it rides for a little bit??

steelheadbluesman 05-20-2012 04:15 PM

Air rushing in is not normal. Probably a seal/bulb/gasket issue.

Some "groaning" noises are not necessarily indicative of problems, but something I would keep my eye on. Your slide CAN be lubed, but I've never done it so I'll leave that for someone who has....

troyrice76 05-20-2012 04:42 PM

I wonder if the slide is opening just a hair when I drive it. It starts out with no noise but after 15 minutes or so the noise is there.

kketterling 05-20-2012 08:34 PM

I will be following this thread with interest as I too have a noise cominig from behind my seat. Mine sounds like two wood bowls clunking together. When I first start driving the coach the noise isn't there but after about 5 to 10 miles the noise starts unless the road is really smooth. At times I think it's the slide but when my wife was driving I traced the sound to above the front fluorescent light. Or at least I think that's were it is coming from. I haven't explored any further but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the A/C ducting in the ceiling. Not sure if the ducting is metal but if so could be the culprit. Planning to pull the fluorescent fixture from the ceiling to see if I can find anything that is lose.

Are you sure it's coming from the slide?

Jim_HiTek 05-20-2012 09:48 PM

I've never owned a slide but I've read 10's of stories on forums about slides that somehow open while driving. While yours is a 2007, and I believe it's past that era of slides popping open on the road, I'd certainly get it into a shop quickly just to be on the safe side. Maybe the latch is broken.

Drifter 05-20-2012 10:17 PM

Make sure the fenders are secured, check all attaching screws.

danes-on-tour 05-21-2012 02:55 AM

Does the generator slide out as it should? Did you ever lubricate the rollers/rails. I am thinking that if the rollers/rails are completely dry, then they maybe could fabricate a "grinding metal" noise when moving around on bumpy roads.

Just a guess obviously :confused:

troyrice76 05-21-2012 10:44 AM

I pulled the slide out and everything there looks to be normal. I think the metal sound I am hearing is from the roll out slide in the basement. I opened the door and it has some play in it. I will wedge something against it to take away its play and see if the sound goes away.

Pez 05-21-2012 10:45 AM

I had a noise coming from back of the dirver seat. Sound appeared to be metal to metal.
Found the bracket that holds the wood trim ( valance ) around the passinger side window in the slide loose. The screw had backed out over half way. The bracket and screw vibrating against each other was the problem. Tighten screw and problem solved.

troyrice76 05-21-2012 12:25 PM

I went out and checked and found several screws around valances and other places that needed to be tightened. I will have to take her out and see if that was it.

kketterling 05-25-2012 01:06 PM

Not sure if you solved your noise problem but think I fixed mine. I pulled my front fluorescent fixture behind the driver seat and found the coax cable for satellite install. I could see where the connector ends were hitting against an aluminum brace. Taped & relocated the coax and will report back if noise is gone when head out after Memorial Day.

kketterling 05-29-2012 06:51 PM

No more noise. Drove 170 miles today and metal noise is gone.:dance: