iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Loud clunk/clank driving over potholes? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/loud-clunk-clank-driving-over-potholes-127146.html)

Wannabe 06-16-2012 06:16 AM

Loud clunk/clank driving over potholes?

While making a 2000 mile round trip I noticed that going over deep potholes and some RR tracks, I heard a loud noise behind the driver's seat. It wasn't the usual groans and rattles, but seemed to be the large slide behind the driver's seat. Has anyone used a slide lock on this slide to keep it from moving(if it is the problem)? Any other ideas what might be causing the noise? Thanks for any replies!

clyon51 06-16-2012 06:49 AM

I suppose it could be the slide jumping up a bit. The first thing I would check is all the suspension parts, shocks, springs, etc. Then perhaps anything that could hit the frame or something when getting a good jar, perhaps muffler or exaust pipe. Of course if you are sure its the slide, check everything there to be sure all is tightened down.

HUCKSHAVEN 06-16-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabe (Post 1212681)
While making a 2000 mile round trip I noticed that going over deep potholes and some RR tracks, I heard a loud noise behind the driver's seat. It wasn't the usual groans and rattles, but seemed to be the large slide behind the driver's seat. Has anyone used a slide lock on this slide to keep it from moving(if it is the problem)? Any other ideas what might be causing the noise? Thanks for any replies!

When I had first purchased our coach, I too, was having a strange solid cluck happening when I cross RR tracks and speed bumps, While I was having the service done I asked the mechanic to check it out, Turns out the auto leveler was'nt even attached from the factory, the coach was riding too low. He hooked it up and we raised the coach to its correct height and voila ! no more clanking.

Our Time 06-16-2012 08:54 AM

The fender panels behind the front wheels break the 2 self tapping screws and cause a noise like you are describing. Check to see if they are secure on the bottom. Hope it's that easy.

rex 06-16-2012 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use the slide lock. If I don't then I can hear the slide bumping against the coach wall.

CJScepter 06-16-2012 05:31 PM

As "Our Time" said, give the front fenders a shake at the bottom and see if they rattle. I had a 1999 Monaco that did, and also the drivers side on my current coach. I found more than just the front on my 1999 Monaco. Good idea to check all the panels anyway!
easy fix and one of the few things that is cheap!
John G.

slickest1 06-16-2012 08:06 PM

Generator slide can sometimes rattle like that. I put a rubber shim in and cured the problem.

Wannabe 06-16-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickest1 (Post 1213441)
Generator slide can sometimes rattle like that. I put a rubber shim in and cured the problem.

I don't have a generator slide, but thanks for the reply!

Wannabe 06-17-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex (Post 1212847)
I use the slide lock. If I don't then I can hear the slide bumping against the coach wall.

I have a small(about 1&1/2") circular plate in the upper right corner of the slide opening with a 1/2" hole in it. Just wondering if this was for a round slide lock or something else. Any ideas?

Our Time 06-17-2012 07:42 AM

That is where the slide lock mounts. If it is like ours, remove the pad to expose the rod then mount in the hole.