iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Has anyone made there own adj. landing gear foot pads. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/has-anyone-made-there-own-adj-landing-gear-foot-pads-127763.html)

Ed ke6bnl 06-21-2012 08:45 PM

Has anyone made there own adj. landing gear foot pads.

I would like to make my own adj. foot pads for the 5er landing gear. The out side dimension is 2" I can make a u plate of 1/4" plate and weld a 3/4" nut to the bottom center and threaded rod to the pad or maybe make a solid slug to go in to the landing gear haven't got the inside measurement yet. and thread the slug of metal for the foot and threaded rod to go through and use the outside holes as a guide to tap and thread holes in the side of the slug of metal. any thoughts ED

GSBri 06-22-2012 12:47 AM

I saw some pads in Camping World for $20. I think they where alum. and looked very solid.

Ed ke6bnl 06-22-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSBri (Post 1219133)
I saw some pads in Camping World for $20. I think they where alum. and looked very solid.

are these adj. if so that is better then all the work making them ED

jeffminsc 06-23-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
I would like to make my own adj. foot pads for the 5er landing gear. The out side dimension is 2" I can make a u plate of 1/4" plate and weld a 3/4" nut to the bottom center and threaded rod to the pad or maybe make a solid slug to go in to the landing gear haven't got the inside measurement yet. and thread the slug of metal for the foot and threaded rod to go through and use the outside holes as a guide to tap and thread holes in the side of the slug of metal. any thoughts ED

I am thinking of the same thing. I was going to use a 1 inch nut welded to a plate on bottom of landing gear then a big plate of 1/4 inch. Would cut down on lumber you'll need to carry.

EMD_Driver 06-23-2012 03:49 PM

Too bad you aren't local...

I just removed mine, to install some JT strongarms on my fiver. I'm not planning on putting it back on now.

rrray 06-26-2012 11:07 PM

Don't know about oversized pads. I just made up a wood platform for landing gear. Is 13X13 inch wide by 8.5 high. Rope handles for easy handling and eliminated the lumber yard in truck. Used 2X4's on bottom then built up with 2X2's with 3/4 ext plywood cap.
Light,strong and takes little space in truck.

The 8.5 inch elevation seems to greatly reduce side sway as opposed to having the gear fully extended. Has worked out well. Pads are original.

For rear stabilizers, just fastened together seven of those yellow (I call em leggo boards) blocks from Camping World. Put handles on them for ease of handling. Beats handling blocks. Light, easy storage. Would not use these on front gear as metal can eaisly slide on them.
Ray