iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Damon (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Are there any Avanti owners in the forum? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/are-there-any-avanti-owners-in-the-forum-128030.html)

LEZM3 06-24-2012 02:28 PM

Are there any Avanti owners in the forum?

looking for Avanti owners

Andytran 07-14-2012 05:29 PM

Avanti 2608

I just joined forum today.I have a 2011 Avanti 2608 I bought last summer.We have only used it on one 2 nite trip and drove 300miles. We got busy building a new house and had no time to explore so I put on consignment with RV dealer but no offers over last 4 months. If it doesn't sell by sept. we will keep it.Hard to find any owner reviews online.How you like your rig?

LEZM3 07-15-2012 09:27 AM

Avanti

We got our 3106 Labor Day 2011. Very please with this motorhome. Drives wonderful, plenty of power, we tow '09 Ford Flex LTD (4800#) without issue. MPG wonderful. The F.R.E.D. Is terrific..louder than pusher but MPG trade-off worth the idle noise...quiet on highway. We upgraded the 13' carefree awning to Dometic WeatherPro Plus 17' to get rain sensor, wind sensor, and built-in power sunscreen. This also give us awning shade over main salon windows.....somewhat of an oversight with 13' design on the 3106.
We've taken trip to Key West this past Jan-Feb and couple times to Georgia glamping. Next voyage to Kentucky for week long stay at statepark and thento West Virginia for week or so. :cool:

Avanti2806 07-23-2012 09:22 AM

We have owned a Thor Motor Coach (TMC) Avanti (28 foot model) since Dec 2010 (2011 model). We have taken more than 15 trips (short and long) accumulating better than 20,000 miles. We recently returned from visiting the Oregon coast (3,200 miles). The Avanti is our first RV purchase. It is perfect for two adults and is very easy to drive and maneuver.

By far the best part of this RV is the MC-L Freightliner chassis (made in Gaffney, SC). This chassis is rock solid and a pleasure to perform routine maintenance on.

I have added some detail in a post:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/damon-avanti-2806-a-98868.html

Another member I have been communicating with is “normanh”. I can send you our thread in an e-mail if you think it might help – it contains some specific issues that have been dealt with.

Hope this helps

LEZM3 07-24-2012 06:06 AM

Thor Damon Avanti

Thank you very much Avanti2806. We leave next week heading to Kentucky, Indiana, and West Virginia.

wgloger 08-09-2012 02:53 AM

First test on this Forum from Europe. Very useful thread. My father in law has an RV over here but has been looking at an Avanti 2806. Could you give some thoughts on the suspension? Would there be a significant effect on the performace if I added an extra 200 ltr water tank? and maybe elaborate on the comment about 'still rides a bit like a bus'. Thank you

Shuffster 08-13-2012 08:15 PM

Sure like to hear more about the Avanti's on this thread. I am a long time diesel pusher user, tried the View and found it too small for long durations. The Avanti now seems to be just the right size...but why did Damon drop it for 2013? The "lower, narrower, lighter" idea seems right. Added to a nice interior finish....I am suprised that other manufacturers haven't picked up on this. (Vesta, by Monaco, yes, but $$$). Tell me what you like and also what the short comings might be.

Thanks, Dave

(Just sold the View, now looking again):cool:

Andytran 08-14-2012 08:01 AM

I have a 2011 Avanti 2806 bought new May 2011.It has 1300miles. Due to a financial reversal I would like to sell. On consignment with local RV dealer but I will take back on Sept.1,2012 if he has,nt sold by then. I will then be free to negotiate on my own.- Andy

LEZM3 08-14-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffster
Sure like to hear more about the Avanti's on this thread. I am a long time diesel pusher user, tried the View and found it too small for long durations. The Avanti now seems to be just the right size...but why did Damon drop it for 2013? The "lower, narrower, lighter" idea seems right. Added to a nice interior finish....I am suprised that other manufacturers haven't picked up on this. (Vesta, by Monaco, yes, but $$$). Tell me what you like and also what the short comings might be.

Thanks, Dave

Dave - where to begin.
Our one year anniversary is Aug 31st owning our Avanti. We are very pleased.
MPG towing '09 Ford Flex (4800+ #) is 10 with the International MaxxForce 5 F.R.E.D.
We find this MH very comfortable to drive and especially comfortable in evenings for dining, lounging, watching movies, etc.
The main salon layout is well set enabling clear viewing of TV from booth style setee'. I personally enjoy lounging on the jack-knife sofa to watch TV/movies. Many other coaches have you twisting and contorting to see TV.
The 200hp engine with Allison transmission on Workhorse chassis is super fine and powerful for us. We normally drive abt 60mph. If I don't set cruise, i easily exceed 70 without effort and attention.....while towing.
We chose the 3106 because we did not want to crawl over each other as in side bed models. Although not a full walk around, I am able to enjoy the freedom of movement, access, and egress without discomfort.
Our shower is most ample for my 6' 215# frame. The 'peacekeeper' toilet is fine, the sink and cabinet arrangement is a little awkward when brushing teeth....bending over.
Driving is super easy...even towing through towns and cities is not a problem. We toured downtown Atlanta, Lexington, and Birmingham recently (with toad)....no problem.
Avanti's huge panoramic view open the road and traffic lanes. Driver sits high butnot so high as to feel rig size overpowersthe road lanes. While towing in heavy traffic, I use the rear camera monitor to keep eye on tailgaters and racers.
Chassis A/C has chore in high heat days in direct sun (90's); however, most vehicles do. We found the coach house hvac to do well (we live in Florida....but...the whole country has been sweating these past two summers), so what the heck. We deliberately chose the Avanti because of 30amp power vs 50amp. Sometimes hard to find 50amp and it often comes with premium $ add-on.
Check this out: Thor's warranty service dept called me abt 3 weeks ago asking if we were planning trip near Elkhart this summer. They offered for us to come in for complete "predelivery inspection" of our coach and systems as our 1-year anniv is end of Aug. we are at Thor now and they are going through some bugs.
I did replace the useless (to me) 13ft, Carefree awning with a Dometic WeatherPro Plus 17ft. The 13ft standard issue only covers to just the front side of the entry door, leaving the main salon windows uncovered. The 17ft covers from just front of the rear cargo pass-thru to just aft of the passenger cab windows providing a beautiful, full patio awning. The WeatherPro Plus also has auto-retract for winds (user select wind speed), auto-dip for rain water runoff, and "plus" feature if built-in power sunscreen. Properly installed per mfg specs, there is a remote control fob, manual operation switch, and ignition cut-off switch that will auto-retract extended awning when ignition turned on, and also prevents any accidential awning operation when MH moving. Enhances our outdoor patio experience tremendously.
Disappointed as Avanti model production ends with 2012. Guess the Serranto is optional replacement. Unfortunately reviews are mixed and not friendly.
Hope this is useful.
Vince

ehc 08-14-2012 02:00 PM

We have owned our 2012 Avanti 2806 since last October. We traded up from a 2008 Winnebago View which I liked but was too small for my wife. Freightliner Chassis and Cummins Engine have performed flawlessly so far. We easily tow a Ford Focus. Except for some House issues which have been covered by the warranty we are very satisfied with RV. We like the low profile (10'11") and wanted a unit under 30' as we stay in a lot of state parks and NPS campgrounds. We joined the Thor Diesel Club and attended their Spring rally in Seiverville, TN, we very much enjoy the group eventhough we were the runt of the litter amongst the big DP's. We plan to attend the TDC international rally this fall in Goshen. Thor appears to have made a significant commitment to the club and it is a good way to get to know the Thor support people. I attended Camp Freightliner for FRED's this past July which was well worth the time and effort.
Ed
Northern VA

Shuffster 08-14-2012 08:44 PM

Ed and Vince......thank you for your replies. I am probably heading towards an Avanti. Wish there were some in the west. Guess I will load up the tow car and head east where I have spotted a few,

Remaining question, did any of the 28 ft models get the Workhorse chassis? It appears that all were built on the Freightliner/ Cummins chassis.

Dave :flowers:

J Walker 08-18-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avanti3106 (Post 1276933)
Dave - where to begin.
Our one year anniversary is Aug 31st owning our Avanti. We are very pleased.
MPG towing '09 Ford Flex (4800+ #) is 10 with the International MaxxForce 5 F.R.E.D.
We find this MH very comfortable to drive and especially comfortable in evenings for dining, lounging, watching movies, etc.
The main salon layout is well set enabling clear viewing of TV from booth style setee'. I personally enjoy lounging on the jack-knife sofa to watch TV/movies. Many other coaches have you twisting and contorting to see TV.
The 200hp engine with Allison transmission on Workhorse chassis is super fine and powerful for us. We normally drive abt 60mph. If I don't set cruise, i easily exceed 70 without effort and attention.....while towing.
We chose the 3106 because we did not want to crawl over each other as in side bed models. Although not a full walk around, I am able to enjoy the freedom of movement, access, and egress without discomfort.
Our shower is most ample for my 6' 215# frame. The 'peacekeeper' toilet is fine, the sink and cabinet arrangement is a little awkward when brushing teeth....bending over.
Driving is super easy...even towing through towns and cities is not a problem. We toured downtown Atlanta, Lexington, and Birmingham recently (with toad)....no problem.
Avanti's huge panoramic view open the road and traffic lanes. Driver sits high butnot so high as to feel rig size overpowersthe road lanes. While towing in heavy traffic, I use the rear camera monitor to keep eye on tailgaters and racers.
Chassis A/C has chore in high heat days in direct sun (90's); however, most vehicles do. We found the coach house hvac to do well (we live in Florida....but...the whole country has been sweating these past two summers), so what the heck. We deliberately chose the Avanti because of 30amp power vs 50amp. Sometimes hard to find 50amp and it often comes with premium $ add-on.
Check this out: Thor's warranty service dept called me abt 3 weeks ago asking if we were planning trip near Elkhart this summer. They offered for us to come in for complete "predelivery inspection" of our coach and systems as our 1-year anniv is end of Aug. we are at Thor now and they are going through some bugs.
I did replace the useless (to me) 13ft, Carefree awning with a Dometic WeatherPro Plus 17ft. The 13ft standard issue only covers to just the front side of the entry door, leaving the main salon windows uncovered. The 17ft covers from just front of the rear cargo pass-thru to just aft of the passenger cab windows providing a beautiful, full patio awning. The WeatherPro Plus also has auto-retract for winds (user select wind speed), auto-dip for rain water runoff, and "plus" feature if built-in power sunscreen. Properly installed per mfg specs, there is a remote control fob, manual operation switch, and ignition cut-off switch that will auto-retract extended awning when ignition turned on, and also prevents any accidential awning operation when MH moving. Enhances our outdoor patio experience tremendously.
Disappointed as Avanti model production ends with 2012. Guess the Serranto is optional replacement. Unfortunately reviews are mixed and not friendly.
Hope this is useful.
Vince

Your are saying that you have a MaxForce 5 engine and a Workhorse chassis on your Avanti? I don't believe so.

LEZM3 08-19-2012 07:14 AM

Well....as they say...believe it.

J Walker 08-20-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avanti3106 (Post 1281600)

Is2012 Thor Motor Coach Avanti 3106 Motorhome : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide your MH? Cummins engine and Freightliner chassis.

LEZM3 08-21-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Walker (Post 1282859)

Our Avanti is 2011 and was one of the initial production units for that model year. Thus, it was one of the last to use the Workhorse chassis and Intl MaxxForce engine and Allison transmission. Having said that I had opportunity to purchase 2012 with freightliner and cummings, but personal preference led me to go for the workhorse and international platform. I have not been disappointed in performance, fuel economy, ride, or comfort.

I am just finishing trip through TN, KY, IN (factory visit), GA and have been most impressed with capabilities through mountains pulling our '09 Ford Flex (4800#) while still averaging 10+ mpg.

J Walker 08-21-2012 07:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. It appears that Damon used both Workhorse W16D chassis and Freightliner MC-L chassis for the Avanti. That is surprising since it doesn't seem cost effective. Thor may have had a longer term interest with Workhorse and 2013 Serrano seems to show that. Where the MC-L ends up with Thor who knows.

LEZM3 08-21-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Walker
Thanks for the reply. It appears that Damon used both Workhorse W16D chassis and Freightliner MC-L chassis for the Avanti. That is surprising since it doesn't seem cost effective. Thor may have had a longer term interest with Workhorse and 2013 Serrano seems to show that. Where the MC-L ends up with Thor who knows.

Thor stopped using workhorse shortly after mfg of our unit. Follow-on '11 models had the freightliner. I believe the workhorse will be and is used on Serrano. Of course the Avanti is discontinued after 2012 (gee.....maybe we'll have a priceless collector item....haha).

Interestingly the 3rd week or so of July, I received call from Thor inviting our Avanti to factory for complete check-out prior to our 1-year purchase anniversary (caveate being if we couldn't make it they would still take care of any warranty defects). Quite surprise and i pressed with their active interraction with us. We did go there and they found misc items we weren't aware of (license plate light out, heated mirrors not working...hey we live in Florida). Well worth the drive from where we were in the midwest.

All in all we are very pleased. Drove 392miles today home from Georgia, averaging 60mph and 11+ mpg with toad in tow. Very pleased!

J Walker 08-22-2012 09:52 AM

Avanti3106 My MH is a collector's item also since the Ultrasport was replaced by the Astoria. I would be interested in finding out your MPG when not towing. I get close to 11 MPG towing my Malibu with my 36' Ultrasport, combined weight about 26,000 lbs.

LEZM3 08-23-2012 07:17 PM

I'm impressed with that. Do you have the Cummins? I was always of thought getting double-digits mpg was a dream on pushers?

J Walker 08-23-2012 07:27 PM

I have a Cummins 5.9 ISB. The DP is 22,000 lbs GVWR and 36', so it is really light as DPs go. My results are not uncommon for the weight. I have friends with Views with the Sprinter chassis but with 11 MPG I don't feel a need to downsize to increase MPG especially with mine being paid for, debugged, etc.

Shuffster 08-24-2012 09:58 PM

I suspect the Avanti is capable of 13-15 mpg after a break in period. With its smaller frontal area, reduced weight and sloped nose, it would have to beat out the old class A's. I have yet to read about anyone with 10K miles yet on their Avanti. I suspect that J Walker, with his obvious attention to economy to hit those numbers! I previously owned a 32 ft Journey and 36 Meridian and was averaging about 9.5 mpg towing. (both with ISB engines--yes in the Meridian, too) and I live in the West with plenty of mtns.

Has anyone weight their Avanti? GVW is 18,000 lbs, but what is the typical loaded weight?

J Walker 08-25-2012 07:49 AM

One reason I appreciate the Avanti is the aerodynamic design. They have downsized to effect quite a weight reduction. All of that will increase the MPG. Emission mods to the engine will detract some. My DP is a box design with A/C and vents on the roof and lots of things exposed underneath. There is no provision to help eliminate the partial vacuum created behind it. I have done what I can to increase MPG and that includes finding the best cruising speed (55 MPH), adding Air Tabs, and using Power Service fuel additives. All of these things changed my MPG from 10 to 11, and I feel sure that slowing down accounted for most or all of it. I would really like to see more manufacturers use aerodynamic designs and build lighter MHs. I watched the trend after 2000 and it seemed to be a HP and weight/size race. My 36' DP with 260 HP seemed to be passe. Now there is some recognition for making smaller and more efficient designs. If you observe the over the road trucks over the last 20 years, they have made huge changes to obtain aerodynamic efficiency and more changes keep coming.

Hoppers 10-14-2012 06:33 PM

Are you still happy with your avanti?

Are you still happy with your avanti? We are considering. Thank you...would love to talk to as many current owners. My email is thoplife@live.com
Quote:

Originally Posted by Avanti2806 (Post 1252715)
We have owned a Thor Motor Coach (TMC) Avanti (28 foot model) since Dec 2010 (2011 model). We have taken more than 15 trips (short and long) accumulating better than 20,000 miles. We recently returned from visiting the Oregon coast (3,200 miles). The Avanti is our first RV purchase. It is perfect for two adults and is very easy to drive and maneuver.

By far the best part of this RV is the MC-L Freightliner chassis (made in Gaffney, SC). This chassis is rock solid and a pleasure to perform routine maintenance on.

I have added some detail in a post:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/damon-avanti-2806-a-98868.html

Another member I have been communicating with is “normanh”. I can send you our thread in an e-mail if you think it might help – it contains some specific issues that have been dealt with.

Hope this helps

LEZM3 10-15-2012 08:02 AM

Avanti Owners

In Aug we travelled up thru Alabama and Tennessee to Natural Bridge Kentucky for a wonderful week in State Park. From there we ventured to Thor HQ in Elkhart, Indiana. (visit to RV/MH Museum, Shipshewana (shop-all-ya-wanna)).

Thor svc contacted us in July to remind us our purchase anniversary (8/31/2011) was coming up and invited us to factory to have complete checkup and inspection done. Note, they also stated that if we couldn't make it, no problem as they would stand behind any issues that were identified by our local Thor Auth Svc Ctr. Thor svc was PHENOMINAL, thus reinforcing our satisfaction and decision buying their (Thor/Damon) product.

Our coach has run superb and aside from minor issues we have nothing but praise for the quality construction, performance (towing '09 Ford Flex 4700#), comfort, eye appeal, F.R.E.D. fuel economy, perfect size, and just overall everything.

This Thu we venture to Cedar Key, FL for 43rd Annual Seafood Festival (delicious steamer silver dollar clams and Tony's World Championship New England Clam Chowder. Then we are off to Franklin, NC to visit friends and play for few days in the Carolinas and take in the fall colors.

So! We absolutely LOVE OUR AVANTI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppers (Post 1339547)
Are you still happy with your avanti? We are considering. Thank you...would love to talk to as many current owners. My email is thoplife@live.com

LKoolkin 02-04-2013 08:20 PM

2011 Avanti 2806

We bought one new in Dec. 2011, have 12k mile now, and are spending our 2nd winter traveling the southern Atlantic and Gulf coasts. I'd be glad to to answer any questions about this wonderful coach...

Shuffster 02-05-2013 04:42 PM

A couple of questions- Is the bed big enough, I don't believe it is as wide as a queen, (closer to a full)? And is the horseshoe seating confortable enough for lounging, ie is it a reasonable replacement for a sofa? These are the items that I am still anxious about.

Thanks for answers.

LKoolkin 02-06-2013 08:34 AM

First let me say that we love the coach, and bought if after looking at Sprinter based units. The chassis (2011, Freightliner MCL, Cummins 6.7L pre-DEF, Allison 6 speed) has been flawless. Thor could have done a better job with quality control in the coach, but they were very helpful getting the various 'issues' of a new coach sorted out and fixed.

The bed is smaller than a std queen (80"x60" I believe). The mattress measures ~74"x54"x9", rests on a plywood base so is nice and firm, and has a rounded corner (outside at the feet) to make access to the shelves under the TV easier - although it's probably not necessary. It could not be much larger, since when the slide is closed it's right up to the divider wall to the bathroom. For us the compromise was the fact that it's against a wall and more difficult to make, than the size - we're 5'10" and 5'7" and sleep quite comfortably. Big deep drawers are also under the bed. The other plus is that the floor plan allows full access and use of the bed with the slide closed, which has been handy a few times.

As for the lounge, the U-shaped couch was a selling point for us. It's really plush leather(ette), quite comfortable to sit and eat (the table goes up/down, spins, and can open to double its size) for 4 adults. My wife also uses it to lounge on, lying across the back, which she can do while I'm sitting at one end using the table like a desk. It also has big drawers under each end, and the center cushion also comes out revealing a good sized 'hidden' space. It would have been nice if the table design allowed it to drop down to form another small bed, but for us - having used the dropdown bed only once - it's no big deal.

We usually travel fully loaded (above and below), with two adults, a 150lb dog, and full water, fuel, and propane tanks - and to date get about 14mpg with 75% of our driving on secondary roads.

Hope this helps...

-Larry

Reid 03-06-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEZM3 (Post 1281600)

We also have an Avanti3106 - 2011 with Workhorse chassis and MaxxForce 5 engine. We love it. Cuurrently sitting abt 40 feet from water at Sigsbee RV park, Key West Naval Air Station FL. Temp mid 70's

vvoicemaker 03-06-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffster (Post 1276282)

Thanks, Dave

I wondered the same thing. Contacted Thor and they told me they dropped the AVanti because the motor/chassis combo had become too expensive!

vvoicemaker 03-06-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andytran (Post 1276662)
I have a 2011 Avanti 2806 bought new May 2011.It has 1300miles. Due to a financial reversal I would like to sell. On consignment with local RV dealer but I will take back on Sept.1,2012 if he has,nt sold by then. I will then be free to negotiate on my own.- Andy

Is your Avanti still available?

Margina 03-10-2013 09:37 PM

Margina

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffster (Post 1276282)

Thanks, Dave

We have a 2012 Avanti 3106 with 12000 mi. Purchased in Dec 2011. Took trip out west last summer for three weeks. Towed Mini Cooper and averaged 13.5 mpg including mountains. Has plenty of power and plenty of room for two and our dog. Love the storage. Room for bikes inside flo-thru rear storage. Also, great for tailgating during football season. Unfortunately, wife has been diagnosed w/ kidney failure and have not been able to rv since our summer trip. She wants to sell but I have fond memories of our westward trip.

Hoppers 03-12-2013 04:23 PM

Your Avanti

Sorry to hear about your wife's health setback. Sounds like you enjoyed the Avanti and it performed very well for you. You mentioned she wants to sale. How much would you be asking?

Hoppers 03-12-2013 04:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your wife's health setback. Sounds like you enjoyed the Avanti and it performed very well for you. You mentioned she wants to sale. How much would you be asking?

Margina 03-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppers (Post 1493949)

$105,000.

Andytran 03-14-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvoicemaker (Post 1487014)
Is your Avanti still available?

My 2011 Avanti 2806 is still available. It has only 1450 miles. It is on consignment with Flagg RV located on the border of RI and Mass. Their number is 888-352-4478. selling price is 89950. They would love to take a trade in. My retirement plans tanked and was unable to use this beautiful rig.- Andy

Margina 03-14-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andytran (Post 1495637)
My 2011 Avanti 2806 is still available. It has only 1450 miles. It is on consignment with Flagg RV located on the border of RI and Mass. Their number is 888-352-4478. selling price is 89950. They would love to take a trade in. My retirement plans tanked and was unable to use this beautiful rig.- Andy

Our 2012 Avanti 3106 has 12000 miles. Wife is in stage five kidney failure, on transplant lists. We live in Hattiesburg , Ms, about 100 miles north of New Orleans. Have decided to sell. Asking $105,000.

EduardoMaya 03-20-2013 07:07 AM

ISO a 2012 Avanti 3106

Hi all ! My wife and I are in search of a 2012 Avanti 3106. A little about us: We are 49 and 50 y.o., two grown kids and also 9 1/2 y.o. twin boys.
This model Rv ticks most of our boxes for our needs. Twelve years ago my DW had a severe back injury, four surgeries later her back is a mess.
Having an Rv will give us back some mobility to travel as she can not sit in a car for long periods of time without being laid up in bed for days after
the long drive. I am sure being able to get up at times or even lay down while enroute will help. We are in California but would travel out east to buy the right rig. DW has set our budget at 90 k. I was also wondering
does the 2011 28 ft. model have the same large pass thru storage as the 3106, as I need a spot to stow a small mobility scooter as well as our gear. Thanks in advance, Ed :Thanx:

Reid 03-21-2013 06:59 PM

Ref Eduardo's question: " I was also wondering
does the 2011 28 ft. model have the same large pass thru storage as the 3106, as I need a spot to stow a small mobility scooter as well as our gear"

No, it does not. And, the 28 foot model has very little storage underneath compared to the 3106.

You mention that you have two grown children and two 9 1/2 year old twins. I think that it will get a little crowded with 6 people. There is a bed that can be pulled down when the slide is open. The couch in the 3106 does lay down to form somewhat of a bed, but the couch is short, only 58 inches. And the wrap-around dinette seating does not turn into a bed. While the twins might sleep there for a short time, I don't think that it would be comfortable as they get taller.

The space in the large pass through is very large. Not sure how heavy the mobility scooter is... might be difficult to load if real heavy. You might consider getting a carry-all platform for the trailer hitch.

FYI: RV Trader has several Avanti 3106's for sale.

EduardoMaya 04-05-2013 06:08 AM

We looked at an Avanti for sale, does not seem right for us, so still looking.

mcruc 04-10-2013 02:36 PM

New guy here. We bought I believe one of last serial number 2806's last August in Iowa. The dealer there had bought the last 8 from Thor and was selling them for a very good price (< 100k) new.

Echoing what other's have said, my understanding from Thor and the dealer was that Freightliner increased the MC-L chassis cost by $10k which made this already niche-market unit unprofitable. Thor with the Damon acquisition likely has to concentrate on the higher volume units and the Avanti isn't one of them unfortunately.

We love it having only used it once. Like other's, we looked at what we thought was the only diesel smaller unit under 30' and were going to buy a Navion until we literally had an Avanti do a U-turn in front of us and we were Googling it literally 30-seconds later.

A few little nit house build issues that I simply fixed and a couple of minor things to correct under warranty like a leaky jack cylinder and a generator solenoid (I think) but nothing major and unexpected while you're getting the kinks out of it.

Coming off of a large truck camper that was too small and took way too long to set up, this unit is absolutely perfect.

I was surprised to see that the Avanti weighed around 15,500 I think so the payload wasn't the 5-6k I was envisioning but that's way better than the 700lbs on the sprinter Class A's or C's. Can't envision we'd ever go over the 18k GVWR.

Laker44 04-29-2013 12:26 PM

Looking to buy a 2011 2806 Avanti

I have one located, but it is located far from me, and looking to buy and priced under $85K with <40K miles. What do you think? Also, please answer with your experience as this will be my first motorhome. Single, age 70 male, ready to travel in the winter.

1. The 2806 uses a macerator sewer system. Any problems with it? I can't seem to find the capacity of the black water tanks. Anyone have that info?

2. Is there a large pass-thru storage on the 2806?

3. Do you find the FRED diesel to be noisy? Some reports of when the AC fan clutch cuts in, the noise is excessive.

4. I only live about 40 miles from Thor and have toured the plant seeing the A.C.E being built, so I have witnessed the lack of quality control. This used Avanti looks so much better then the A.C.E.

Please feel free to add any additional information or tell me where to look for other owner input.

Thanks for you help.

mcruc 05-21-2013 12:09 PM

Laker,
Thought I'd responded to this earlier - sorry.

I'd think that'd be a fairly ideal MH for a single person, it's good for up to 4.

1) The macerator is similar to what most boats use and we've had no issues (nor that much time) with it. It's easy to reach/replace from what I can tell and I'd guess it'd work for a while without it functioning (within reason) Depending on which Thor specs (2011, 2012) the black tank is listed as 40 and 36.5. I've seen 40 more often used.

2) There really isn't an under-chassis pass through to speak of. There are two compartments on either side and the space over the frame rails to the MH floor is about 8-10". I've got a couple of fold-up ladders in there. Same deal in the rear but they're much smaller compartments.

3) I don't think the noise is really much of an issue. The coach itself makes more noise than the engine going down the road. Yeah, when that fan clutch engages it's loud but unless you're driving in lots of heat I think I've only had that come on once, and only for a few minutes.
Certainly wakes you up which is good! At idle, I hear as much noise from the Cummins in the Avanti as I do in my GM Duramax pickup ('13)

4) I can't really speak to the quality but yeah, everything I've ever bought has some set of "issues" when it's new. I think I fixed 3-4 on the Avanti. My neighbor has a Prevost/Featherlite coach which has to be about the top-end of a class A and I think he had several pages of things that needed to be fixed/etc. A way more complex rig than the Avanti however.

I've been very impressed with the attention to detail on the unit. Damon really did this thing right. For example, I wanted all the bulbs LED in it and started figuring out which LED panels I needed. Come to find that Damon already had most of the interior lights LED and they were some pretty pricy components. For an "entry level" MH as the dealers will tell you the Avanti is, it's certainly not that as compared to other things I've seen.

There's just not that many of these around and it's too bad they're history. Too much of a niche market for the price I guess. I believe that our 2012 2806 was if not the last, one of the last units made. All remaining 8 went to a dealer in IA which is where we got ours from (for a price not too far north of what you're looking at..:)
Mark

Reid 05-22-2013 08:00 AM

Quote: I did replace the useless (to me) 13ft, Carefree awning with a Dometic WeatherPro Plus 17ft. The 13ft standard issue only covers to just the front side of the entry door, leaving the main salon windows uncovered. The 17ft covers from just front of the rear cargo pass-thru to just aft of the passenger cab windows providing a beautiful, full patio awning. The WeatherPro Plus also has auto-retract for winds (user select wind speed), auto-dip for rain water runoff, and "plus" feature if built-in power sunscreen. Properly installed per mfg specs, there is a remote control fob, manual operation switch, and ignition cut-off switch that will auto-retract extended awning when ignition turned on, and also prevents any accidential awning operation when MH moving. Vince

Vince: We have a 2011 Avanti 3106 - Workhorse chassis and MaxForce 5 engine. When I open the dinky Carefree awning, I have to have the door closed as the underside of the awning will rub over the top of the door. Once fully deployed, I have to use the feet of the awning to raise it enough to clear the door. I have been looking at replacing the awning with the Dometic WeatherPro 17 ft, but wondered if it would have the same problem clearing the door. Can you provide any details of your Dometic install and if you have the door clearance problem?

I was also thinking of getting a Dometic awning version like we had on a previous travel trailer... the manual type that you pulled a strap down and the "awning feet" could either be placed in a slot on the side of the MH or on the ground. I wanted to have an awning shade cover and I didn't think that the fully automatic type awning... without "awning feet" could be fitted with a shade.
Reid Gantt reidgantt@aol.com

vvoicemaker 05-23-2013 06:30 AM

avanti engine /chassis choice

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEZM3 (Post 1221569)

Avanti owners. Any pros or cons to the 2 engine /chassis combos used? Navistar/workhorsr vs Cummins /freightliner

timwoodburn 08-18-2013 09:06 AM

Avanti owner

Quote:

Will take possession of a 2010 Avanti 3106 in 2 days. I'm sure I'll be back here often.

Tim

MHahn 08-19-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 1690571)

Will take possession of a 2010 Avanti 3106 in 2 days. I'm sure I'll be back here often.

Tim

Congratulation on your 3106, Tim. We are very pleased with our coach. I hope you have as much enjoyment as we do.

Best Regards,
Mike

Reid 08-19-2013 08:01 AM

New Awning

Well, we bit the $ bullet and had a 17' Dometic Weather Pro awning installed on our 2011 Avanti 3106 (Workhorse /MaxxForce 5). The awning that came with the MH was useless.... even though it was electric, I could not extend it without deploying the awning supports and that took several minutes. Anyway, the new awning looks great and opens easily. The only issue was that the space behind the old awning was not painted. With the new awning closed, a very narrow white strip shows and when it is open, a larger white strip. We have the Black and Tan color Avanti. I got the paint codes for these colors from Thor and had a pint of black and half-pint of tan mixed (the brown color is not included in the area needing painting). I've not started painting yet.... it is raining. I have a large air compressor and paint gun but I wondered if I could do this small paint job easier.... the paint company had a product called Preval spray system. It is essentially a glass bottle you fill with the paint, add the required amount of thinner, mix and then attach to the aerosol top. It is like making your own can of spray paint. The two paint colors I will apply are not finished until you use a clearcoat cover spray. The Preval spray systems were not too expensive... about $7 each. BTW, the quote I got over the telephone for having this job done at a auto paint place was about $800. Even if I don't do a perfect job, the area when awning is closed is barely visible and when awning is deployed, you have to basically be standing under the awning to see this area. But the white color stands out very much so any painting I do will be an improvement.
We will be going to the Good Sam RV Rally in Atlanta 17 Oct; if you are going, look us up. We might have our new awning open showing off the paint job!

ehc 08-19-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 1690571)

Tim

Highly recommend joining the Thor Diesel Club, FMCA, great group of people and Thor has their techs at the rallys to answer questions about you rig.

timwoodburn 08-23-2013 09:04 AM

I have read different specs about the 2010 Avanti 3106 we are getting. Some say it has an exhaust brake, others say no.

Was this an option? Can it be added?

mcruc 08-24-2013 10:00 AM

The Cummins/Freightliner has an exhaust brake, not sure of the previous platform.

mcruc 08-24-2013 10:08 AM

Anybody else as dumb as me? The inverter was the one thing apparently that we'd not tested after getting our 2012 2806. Son plugged in his laptop on the last trip (to do homework!) and nothing. I debugged it and in hindsight missed a few obvious clues (like the inverter having it's own 15A breaker. Long story short, these Xantrex don't have the best reputation so I bought a new one, Xantrex 1800 vs. 1000 and same deal.
Damon only powers 1 outlet which feeds the TVs on the 2806... the TVs ??? really?
If anybody needs a spare Xantrex HW 1000 let me know.

I've installed inverters in other RVs but there I ran all the A/C through it since it was a basic 15A circuit. Still getting used to this class A stuff

timwoodburn 08-25-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 1699001)
The Cummins/Freightliner has an exhaust brake, not sure of the previous platform.

Thanks for the reply.

Can't find it on the 2010 3106 we're supposed to get. It's on the Freightliner chassis. Been at PPL in Houston for nearly 2 weeks trying to make it happen.

Avanti2806 09-02-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 1699001)

We have a 2011 model 2806 (Freightliner MC-L Chassis) – No exhaust brake, just a “Disable Overdrive” switch. I did see a 2012 model 2806 at the factory (Sept 2011), and it did have a switch labeled “Engine Brake”.

ehc 09-02-2013 09:28 AM

I have a 2012 2806 w/Freightliner chassis with the engine brake. On/Off switch was mounted on right side of dash next to overdrive on/off switch. While at campfreightliner in July 2012 met another avanti owner with same year and model. His did not have the engine brake.

timwoodburn 09-03-2013 04:44 PM

Ladder

I don't have a ladder on my Avanti 3106. Did they ever come with one? What do other owners do to get up on the roof?

mcruc 09-04-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 1712709)
I don't have a ladder on my Avanti 3106. Did they ever come with one? What do other owners do to get up on the roof?

Don't think they wanted us up there! The dealer said they simply jump on from the RV parked next to it! Thanks..

I bought an Xtend & Climb 780P Type IA telescoping ladder:
Xtend & Climb 780P Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type IA Professional Series, 12.5-Foot - Amazon.com

I also got the protective top cover -- which is silicone-like -- that's a TC812.
Had to get that from RE Williams (rewci.com)

The ladder stores nicely up on the frame rails in the compartment to the left of the door. I also have a 6ft freestanding fold-up RV ladder that stores in there that I had previously.

Reid 09-05-2013 09:37 AM

The Avanti is a lightweight Class A and the back is made of fiberglass. When I was checking the rear video camera, accessible through a plastic door in the cabinet above the bed, I looked into the space which is the inside of the back. I don't believe that there is sufficient strength to put a ladder on the back. I bought an Extend ladder that I carry in one of the undercoach compartments. I think it is superior to a ladder on the rear. Reid

Reid 09-05-2013 09:47 AM

In an earlier email I commented about getting a 17' Dometic WeatherPro awning to replace the original 12' and that the area behind the old awning was not painted. The stark white really showed. I got the paint codes and went to an auto paint company. The paint company had a product called Preval spray system. It is essentially a glass bottle you fill with the paint, add the required amount of thinner, mix and then attach to the aerosol top. It is like making your own can of spray paint. The paint colors I will apply are not finished until you use a clearcoat cover spray. The Preval spray systems were not too expensive... about $7 each. BTW, the quote I got over the telephone for having this job done at a auto paint place was about $800. Even if I don't do a perfect job, the area when awning is closed is barely visible and when awning is deployed, you have to basically be standing under the awning to see this area. But the white color stands out very much so any painting I do will be an improvement.

Update: Well, I tried the Preval paint system. I got the first mixture too diluted with thinner and it ran a little. The biggest challenge was getting the tape down to continue the swoop design in the different colors. The end result would not pass a close inspection but 90% of the newly painted area is covered by the awning when closed; and when awning open, your eye doesn't automatically go to look up under the awning. I think with a little practice, the Preval aerosol paint would do a suitable job.

Avanti2806 09-06-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 1712709)

We also carry two ladders:

- 12.5 Foot Telescoping Ladder (Extend A Step) - $150.

- 7 Ft. Double Sided Compact Folding Ladder (Amazon) - $186.
This ladder fits exactly in the pass-thru compartment on our 2806.

They are heavy, but have saved us more than once, such as in Portland, OR when water leaked through the awning into the bathroom (unsealed awning wiring).

Avanti2806 09-06-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppers (Post 1339547)

Update on our Avanti 2806 after 30 trips (since Jan-2011):

Average distance driven per trip: 1,000 mi, hence 30,000 miles on the chassis.

The RV’s we have met are the best – friendly and helpful and we have chosen many different places within the Western US to travel.

Overall fuel mileage (including occasional generator use while driving across the deserts that surround Tucson): 13.0-13.25. I do not use the Freightliner Trip mileage calculator, as it always reads higher than reality. I do it the old fashion way – maintain accurate records and a little arithmetic. Also, we drive at a steady 60 - 63 miles per hour on the interstates.

This unit still suits our needs exceptionally well. The model 3106 had much better outside storage, but the interior layout was not to our liking. Also, some State and Federal parks limit the RV length to 30 ft (I doubt that 31 ft would be disallowed, but we wanted to play it safe).

The shining star of the Avanti is the Freightliner MC-L chassis. It has performed flawlessly and always gets us home on time. The chassis was selected because we liked the coach, but now we realize, we should have selected the chassis, then the coach. Freightliner may be expensive, but for my money they have been worth every penny.

The build quality of the “house” and support from the factory has been the (disappointing) issue. During the first year, we were to receive “concierge” service – didn’t happen, and their technical support was just plain wrong or so general (“visit your dealer”), as to be useless.

The house repairs (as well as I can remember) to date in no particular order have been:

Repairs

Corrected wiring of A/C heat pump (thermostat wired incorrectly at factory)

Frame extension on driver side weld failed. Repaired by re-welding

Frame extension on passenger side weld failed. Repaired using long bolt & nut

Attachment from frame extension to inside dash (self-taping screws) failed. Repaired with long bolts, fender washers and nuts

Replaced house battery as it was physically damaged during assembly of coach

Replaced 1 of the 2 chassis batteries (still under warrantee from Interstate Batteries)

Replaced missing sheet metal screws on slide-out that allowed rubber seal to fall out of its channel

Replaced failed CO / LP Gas Monitor

Adjusted slide-out under the couch rollers (incorrect installation was making a serious dent in the RV flooring)

Replaced rotted & leaking washer / wiper hose (less than 1 year?)

Remounted loose florescent light cover

Repaired 3 loose GFI electrical outlets

Repaired awning water leak into bathroom (electrical wire was not sealed as it exited the coach wall)

Reattached loose wood trim in slide-out (interior)

Reattached loose side table to U-couch (originally attached with four self-taping screws)

Remounted dining table to metal base using brass metal inserts and bolts (originally 6 self-taping screws that provided inadequate support from day 1)

Reinstalled roof vent (motor & fan were out of balance providing excessive noise)

Repaired loose wood trim under the kitchen sink

Tighten and adjusted all cabinet doors (some were ready to fall off)

Sealed leaking wheel well to large compartment on passenger side (no drain installed, so it collected substantial water). A drain was also installed

Installed heavy-duty latches for U-couch drawers (they opened when turning left)

Repaired frame extension that supports the fiberglass front nose

Reattached bathroom mirror (moved out of its mount on every turn)

Attached front wheel flaps to metal supporting frame (originally, 2 self-taping screws allowed mud flap to vibrate and make noise)

Attached rear wheel flaps to metal supporting frame (originally, 3 self-taping screws allowed mud flap to vibrate and make noise)

Repaired loose backing plates on several of the external storage doors

Remount thermostat in Bedroom (held on by 2 self-taping screws – one of which missed all wood supports)

Remounted loose (and fallen to the coach floor) stereo "base amp" unit

Replaced magnetic catch in bathroom under-the-sink cabinet door (plastic latch was broken during installation)

Sealed outside door corners from outside environment (leaked when it rained)

Replaced entrance door foam insulation (some was missing from the factory, some had failed)

Strengthened front dash (significant vibration at road speeds. As a result, the fake wood insert cracked)

Replaced failed coach step motor (the step was never installed correctly and bound with a significant "clicking" sound. By the time I was able to catch the mistake, the step motor gearing had failed). Also repaired stripped motor mounts (reason for original binding)

Repaired shower door hanging arms (one of the arms was missing its wheels, and another was outside of the aluminum shower track)

Replaced trailer light assembly (it never worked) with an active non-shorting trailer light controller

Repaired daylight driving lights (classic vendor finger pointing: TMC at Freightliner, Freightliner at TMC)

Replaced rear backup camera (original ASA camera failed within 6 months in the hot Arizona environment)

Repaired both bathroom door magnetic catches that stripped out of the wood door.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Notice that no major components have failed (Refrigerator, A/C, Levelers…), but an alarming number of small irritating items have had to be repaired / rebuilt. This indicates sloppy assembly with poor attention to detail and quality control at the factory.

Because we had poor warrantee support in Tucson, I have performed almost all of the repairs.

I late 2011, we met the new TMC president – he is not an RVer but a “bean counter”. We were told that all decisions at the factory were based on financial viability (as opposed, I assume to customer wishes). Margins in this industry can be razor thin. The real cost that the assembly plant can control is labor, so I can see even more pressure to hurriedly build units, perhaps even replacing experience (and more expensive) craftsmen with less experienced labor.

A TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is an absolute must for safety.

As previously noted in this thread, the awning is useless.

timwoodburn 09-06-2013 08:17 PM

Ladder

Thanks Reid. I ordered one today. $175 from Amazon with free shipping.

Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reid (Post 1715162)
The Avanti is a lightweight Class A and the back is made of fiberglass. When I was checking the rear video camera, accessible through a plastic door in the cabinet above the bed, I looked into the space which is the inside of the back. I don't believe that there is sufficient strength to put a ladder on the back. I bought an Extend ladder that I carry in one of the undercoach compartments. I think it is superior to a ladder on the rear. Reid

timwoodburn 09-06-2013 08:36 PM

Oil life

Just got our 2010 3106 with 10,000 miles on it. Owners manual says it's time to change the oil in the International diesel. That seems waaaay to long to me. If the Workhorse chassis had a gasoline motor i'd have had to do it every 3,000 miles. Can this be right?.

Avanti2806 09-07-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 1717371)
Just got our 2010 3106 with 10,000 miles on it. Owners manual says it's time to change the oil in the International diesel. That seems waaaay to long to me. If the Workhorse chassis had a gasoline motor i'd have had to do it every 3,000 miles. Can this be right?.

Cummins ISB for RVs is 15,000 miles / 12 months

timwoodburn 09-09-2013 10:19 AM

Jensen VM9022HDN

My Avanti 3106 has one of these in it. Did they come with operational GPS and satellite radio functions? I don't see antennas for these features and get them to work.

mcruc 09-10-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 1720634)
My Avanti 3106 has one of these in it. Did they come with operational GPS and satellite radio functions? I don't see antennas for these features and get them to work.

Our '12 2806 had the Jensen vm9224 at that point, same basic unit.
No, the optional GPS module and XM modules were not included.

I replaced it with a VM9225 since those units are all fairly inexpensive and the XM module now available didn't work with the 9224. For antenna's, I put in a permanent mount roof antenna, hockey puck style. Fairly easy to fish the passenger roof pillar to access the roof just ahead of the drop-down bed hardware.

timwoodburn 09-11-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 1721840)

I replaced it with a VM9225 since those units are all fairly inexpensive and the XM module now available didn't work with the 9224. For antenna's, I put in a permanent mount roof antenna, hockey puck style. Fairly easy to fish the passenger roof pillar to access the roof just ahead of the drop-down bed hardware.

Thanks, that was very helpful. Had a sat. radio in my old rig have got used to it.

Reid 09-11-2013 09:01 AM

We have a GPS unit in our 2011 Avanti 3106 (Workhorse / MaxxForce5) but the map data is current to the date when it was installed. At the last Good Sam Rally in Syracuse, Camping World had a good deal on their Good Sam RV-GPS powered by Rand McNally. This thing is great!!! It is updated with latest map data each time you connect it to the internet. You add in data on your specific RV.... height, length, etc. and it will route you away from overpasses, roads and areas where your rig won't fit. Also has speed limit info, data on next interstate crossroad, Flying J/Pilot stations, etc. Can connect to WiFi for current/forecasted weather. Big 7" screen too. We give it 5 stars!

timwoodburn 09-12-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reid (Post 1723517)
We have a GPS unit in our 2011 Avanti 3106 (Workhorse / MaxxForce5) but the map data is current to the date when it was installed. At the last Good Sam Rally in Syracuse, Camping World had a good deal on their Good Sam RV-GPS powered by Rand McNally. This thing is great!!! It is updated with latest map data each time you connect it to the internet. You add in data on your specific RV.... height, length, etc. and it will route you away from overpasses, roads and areas where your rig won't fit. Also has speed limit info, data on next interstate crossroad, Flying J/Pilot stations, etc. Can connect to WiFi for current/forecasted weather. Big 7" screen too. We give it 5 stars!

That sounds perfect! I'll check it out.

timwoodburn 09-18-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 1721840)

I've ordered the proprietary cable and tuner assembly for this radio, but forgot to get an antenna. Do you remember which one you got?

How tough was the antenna to install? Do you just take the passenger side roof pillar apart and get access to a cable from the antenna you drop into a hole in the roof?

DGShaffer 09-19-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avanti2806 (Post 1716554)
Adjusted slide-out under the couch rollers (incorrect installation was making a serious dent in the RV flooring)

Is anyone else noticing this issue? I have a friend with an Avanti and have found that the floor has a serious depression that looks like it was caused by the slide

mcruc 09-19-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1734360)
Is anyone else noticing this issue? I have a friend with an Avanti and have found that the floor has a serious depression that looks like it was caused by the slide

I do notice it when the slide goes out after being in for a while but it always flattens out after a day or so, it appears to me that the vinyl rolls out ahead of the roller when the slide comes in. There's a "bubble" of flooring that's probably about 1/2" tall. flattens out which tells be either they don't glue the flooring all the way intentionally or they didn't glue the flooring ;)

Not the case with this one? Ours is a 2806 which has a much larger slide (and presumably heavier)

mcruc 09-19-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 1733783)
I've ordered the proprietary cable and tuner assembly for this radio, but forgot to get an antenna. Do you remember which one you got?

How tough was the antenna to install? Do you just take the passenger side roof pillar apart and get access to a cable from the antenna you drop into a hole in the roof?

The antenna is an SRA-25, it's the low-profile marine version made by somebody I forget but it's sold under multiple names. I went with Shakespeare since they made it obvious that they included the flush-mount base which you need (you're not putting bolts on the inside of the MH roof)
I think they all do include this base but it had a part # and it wasn't clear.
I got it via Amazon for $60 from MountGuys it looks.

Yes, not too painful at all. Remove the interior panel(s) from the passenger pillar from the dashboard up -- just the pillar, I recall once it's off you're good but you do need to finesse the panel off and on up around where the pillar meets the roof.

You'll see an alloy box structural frame member. I think they route some A/C wiring near there. I sent a small camera up there to look around on a fish-tape initially but it is what it looks like from below, about 10-12" of dead space above the interior roof up to the actual roof. You can pretty much see up there if you crane your neck and look up through that box frame member.
I saw some reference points from inside (like how far back from where the roof slopes down to the windshield) and drilled a 1/8" pilot hole (from above) and verified that I could see that (put a flashlight on the outside) from inside and that everything was clear for a coax to not rub on. I think I checked that with the bed up/down but do that.

Double-check it about 4 times more and now drill the hole for the antenna downlead, I think it's about 3/4". Fiberglass is about 3/8" on the roof.
Use a fish-tape from below to get close to the hole and you're good to go (I grabbed the fish tape from the outside and always use electrical tape to tape it all up for the way down.

Once you drill the first 3/4" hole in the roof of your new motorhome trust me it's all easy from that point :) Like I said, double-check it a bunch of times.

I can send you a picture (haven't tried pics in this forum) from the outside if you want showing where the antenna is, basically your downlead is going to be about 6" to the front of where the drop-down bed mounts to the roof superstructure. I think my antenna is about 16" in from the passenger side of the MH.

I then simply set the flushmount baseplate in a bed of marine adhesive (underwater rated) and did the same for the antenna onto the base. fill the hole as well. The marine adhesives are way more tolerant to vibration/flexing than silicone which can peel away and let water in. 3M makes good stuff (like a 4000 UV marine adhesive) which I've used but I use a less $$ variety these days (3M has been crazy-priced in the past) sold at any marine place which is the same. It's a glue and sealant (I checked and I use Sudbury Elastomeric Marine Sealant)

Good luck - nice to drive 500 miles and listen to the same radio station!

timwoodburn 09-23-2013 03:13 PM

Oil filter

Quote:

Got my Avanti 3106 in the shop 2 days now while they try figure out what the right oil filter is for the MaxxForce 5 engine. Apparently they have never seen one without a spin-on filter, and this one has a cartridge.

Even International seems confused. Anybody know what goes in there?

timwoodburn 09-28-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

I've ordered a 100 W solar panel and controller for my 3106. I've installed one on a former rig of mine and went directly from the roof to the battery input of the my inverter. This was a lot shorter distance than to the battery tray.

But I can't find the inverter/converter on this coach. Anyone know where they hid it?

MHahn 09-29-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 1745919)
I've ordered a 100 W solar panel and controller for my 3106. I've installed one on a former rig of mine and went directly from the roof to the battery input of the my inverter. This was a lot shorter distance than to the battery tray. But I can't find the inverter/converter on this coach. Anyone know where they hid it?

Tim,
In our 2806, the Xantrex converter/inverter is in the rear-most exterior hatch on the passenger side of the coach. It's mounted on the top of the compartment, secured to the floor of the coach. The shore power cord and the transfer switch are on the opposite side and feed directly across to the Xantrex. I'm not sure that the 3106 is wired the same, but I hope that helps.
Best Regards,
Mike

mcruc 09-29-2013 10:07 AM

Like Mike said it's fairly visible in the 2806 but your rear compartment is much taller.
It can't really be enclosed due to the need for airflow for the fan. Plug the unit into shore power and listen if nothing else, those things aren't quiet!

timwoodburn 09-29-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHahn (Post 1746904)
Tim, In our 2806, the Xantrex converter/inverter is in the rear-most exterior hatch on the passenger side of the coach. It's mounted on the top of the compartment, secured to the floor of the coach. The shore power cord and the transfer switch are on the opposite side and feed directly across to the Xantrex. I'm not sure that the 3106 is wired the same, but I hope that helps. Best Regards, Mike

Thanks Mike.

The 3106 has a thru-compartment there. And it's empty all the way across.

I've checked in all the compartments, and I'm not sure what this thing looks like, but I don't see any devices mounted anywhere in them.

Be nice if they had a diagram of all the component locations, huh?

timwoodburn 09-29-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 1747121)
Like Mike said it's fairly visible in the 2806 but your rear compartment is much taller. It can't really be enclosed due to the need for airflow for the fan. Plug the unit into shore power and listen if nothing else, those things aren't quiet!

That was great advice!

I had noticed a hum in the rig before when it was plugged in but never paid any attention to it. This time I traced it to the bedroom. It was coming from under the bed. When I opened a drawer I was able to look behind it and see a roomy compartment full of wires and duct work. And the Xantrex. There was also a Tee shirt and a pair of underwear that pushed out of the drawer and fallen into the compartment. Unfortunately, they were not my size.

Had the convertor not been charging the batteries in "absorption" mode the fan would not have been running and I would have not known where to look. It does not normally come on in "float" mode.

Next, I checked in the pass-thru storage compartment and found a 2' square access panel. I removed it and got to one side of the Xantrex. Access to the rest of that unit can be had by removing the floor of the storage bin under the bed. That's where I hope to gain a direct connection to the house batteries from my solar panel. I'm thinking about routing the cable from the panel down through the rear cap and up through the floor. Don't know where the monitor will end up, but we'll see.

timwoodburn 10-09-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 1734999)
The antenna is an SRA-25, it's the low-profile marine version made by somebody I forget but it's sold under multiple names. I went with Shakespeare since they made it obvious that they included the flush-mount base which you need (you're not putting bolts on the inside of the MH roof) I think they all do include this base but it had a part # and it wasn't clear. I got it via Amazon for $60 from MountGuys it looks. Yes, not too painful at all. Remove the interior panel(s) from the passenger pillar from the dashboard up -- just the pillar, I recall once it's off you're good but you do need to finesse the panel off and on up around where the pillar meets the roof. You'll see an alloy box structural frame member. I think they route some A/C wiring near there. I sent a small camera up there to look around on a fish-tape initially but it is what it looks like from below, about 10-12" of dead space above the interior roof up to the actual roof. You can pretty much see up there if you crane your neck and look up through that box frame member. I saw some reference points from inside (like how far back from where the roof slopes down to the windshield) and drilled a 1/8" pilot hole (from above) and verified that I could see that (put a flashlight on the outside) from inside and that everything was clear for a coax to not rub on. I think I checked that with the bed up/down but do that. Double-check it about 4 times more and now drill the hole for the antenna downlead, I think it's about 3/4". Fiberglass is about 3/8" on the roof. Use a fish-tape from below to get close to the hole and you're good to go (I grabbed the fish tape from the outside and always use electrical tape to tape it all up for the way down. Once you drill the first 3/4" hole in the roof of your new motorhome trust me it's all easy from that point :) Like I said, double-check it a bunch of times. I can send you a picture (haven't tried pics in this forum) from the outside if you want showing where the antenna is, basically your downlead is going to be about 6" to the front of where the drop-down bed mounts to the roof superstructure. I think my antenna is about 16" in from the passenger side of the MH. I then simply set the flushmount baseplate in a bed of marine adhesive (underwater rated) and did the same for the antenna onto the base. fill the hole as well. The marine adhesives are way more tolerant to vibration/flexing than silicone which can peel away and let water in. 3M makes good stuff (like a 4000 UV marine adhesive) which I've used but I use a less $$ variety these days (3M has been crazy-priced in the past) sold at any marine place which is the same. It's a glue and sealant (I checked and I use Sudbury Elastomeric Marine Sealant) Good luck - nice to drive 500 miles and listen to the same radio station!

I completed the sat. antenna installation today and it was pretty straight forward, as you said. Of course, having an idea where to bunch that hole in the roof was a big help. I routed the cable down the pillar and tucked it in between the side wall and the dash, then underneath to the radio and I was done. Thanks for your help!

timwoodburn 10-15-2013 11:43 AM

This is not a big thing, but it is annoying.

When I switch the batteries from "USE" to "STORE", they are disconnected and will not come back on line until the Avanti is connected to A/C. That means I have to plug it in somewhere or start the Genset.

I can hear a relay when I throw this switch, but not when I switch back to "USE". It's always worked this way during the short time I've had the coach, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to. Am I right?

mcruc 10-16-2013 12:18 PM

Something's wrong - it's not supposed to work that way. You should hear the relay from over in the control center when it's switched off. That part works for sure :)

I believe switching it back on should also produce the same noise. The control center at least on the 2806 is in the forward-most lower compartment on the driver side. Has a ton of stuff attached to the wall (electrical control center, the leveling system controller, common hot and ground posts/etc) Listen in that area when it's switched to STORE (you need a really long arm or another person ;) and see if you can locate which box it is and see if it makes any noise going to USE.

When you either plug it in or run the generator, can you switch it to USE immediately or does it take a few seconds before it will switch? I'm guessing the latter. It would appear that the control center is looking for a solid 12V signal from the batteries before switching over. I recall you just replaced the house batteries so they should be good.
Both the generator and the A/C plug in start the converter/charger (and that's the slight delay before it starts putting out it's DC) That starts out with a 13.8V which apparently is enough to trigger the relay.

I'm assuming that once it's switched over via A/C or generator, that it stays in use mode when unplugged or generator shut off?

ehc 10-17-2013 11:45 AM

Just returned home from attending the Thor Diesel Club rally in Goshen, Indiana. TDC is a chapter of FMCA. Thor industries actively supports this club. The rally was held at the Elkhart Co 4H Fairgrounds. In addition to seminars and vendors Thor had their tech's on site for repairs in and out of warranty. I had two minor out of warranty issues repaired without cost. Also the Thor Tech's are available to answer questions about you rig. We were the runt of the litter with our 2012 Avanti 2806, there were Serranos, Palazzios, Tuscanys, Mandalays, as well as other rigs. Anyone interested in joining should check out the TDC website.

timwoodburn 10-19-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 1768841)
Something's wrong - it's not supposed to work that way. You should hear the relay from over in the control center when it's switched off. That part works for sure :) I believe switching it back on should also produce the same noise. The control center at least on the 2806 is in the forward-most lower compartment on the driver side. Has a ton of stuff attached to the wall (electrical control center, the leveling system controller, common hot and ground posts/etc) Listen in that area when it's switched to STORE (you need a really long arm or another person ;) and see if you can locate which box it is and see if it makes any noise going to USE. When you either plug it in or run the generator, can you switch it to USE immediately or does it take a few seconds before it will switch? I'm guessing the latter. It would appear that the control center is looking for a solid 12V signal from the batteries before switching over. I recall you just replaced the house batteries so they should be good. Both the generator and the A/C plug in start the converter/charger (and that's the slight delay before it starts putting out it's DC) That starts out with a 13.8V which apparently is enough to trigger the relay. I'm assuming that once it's switched over via A/C or generator, that it stays in use mode when unplugged or generator shut off?

Not directly related, but I did get my solar panel/charge controller issues sorted out. I went to the converter/inverter and connected to the battery output. It was a much shorter run than to the batteries. But now that the PV setup is producing, when I switch to "STORE" juice is being provided to the coach electrics, just not by the batteries. And I am able now to switch back from "STORE" to "USE". I can hear the solenoid in the Battery Control Center pick. I can live with this.

timwoodburn 10-30-2013 02:13 PM

Anyone have a source for the Halogen bulbs that come with the Baraldi range hood in my Avanti?

mcruc 10-31-2013 05:58 AM

I think those are just a standard G4 base halogen bulb. Probably 5w? Same as the compartment lights, should be able to get them anywhere.

I replaced all of our bulbs with LEDs if you're interested, better light and 1/10th the current draw if that. For the range hood, I used (2) G4-CWHP10-DAC (cool white) from superbrightleds.com They are $15 each however but should last quite a while unless they fail right away (which two of the smaller panels of the 18 or so compartment lights did)

You'll note that Damon used LEDs in all the overhead lights except the two warm white ones over the front over the driver and pass. That same part I mentioned in the warm white is what I used for the front two.

timwoodburn 11-01-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 1788310)
I think those are just a standard G4 base halogen bulb. Probably 5w? Same as the compartment lights, should be able to get them anywhere. I replaced all of our bulbs with LEDs if you're interested, better light and 1/10th the current draw if that. For the range hood, I used (2) G4-CWHP10-DAC (cool white) from superbrightleds.com They are $15 each however but should last quite a while unless they fail right away (which two of the smaller panels of the 18 or so compartment lights did) You'll note that Damon used LEDs in all the overhead lights except the two warm white ones over the front over the driver and pass. That same part I mentioned in the warm white is what I used for the front two.

Thanks for the help with the range hood lights. I was able to find a replacement bulb at Ace Hardware and now I can see what I'm doing when I burn an omelet.

Speaking of lights, i discovered by accident that the outside patio lamp was warped from the heat of its bulb. It had created a large hole in the top. The lamp is located on the other side of the wall from the entertainment center. I had seen a leak at this location shortly after I got the coach. Thinking it must be coming through the holes that channeled all the antenna cables into the cabinet, I re-caulked the area and dosed it heavily with Flex Seal. But now I am thinking the hole in the top of the patio light fixture is the culprit. Now to locate a new lamp...

timwoodburn 08-20-2014 08:51 PM

On a trip to western Canada with my Avanti 3106 when the charging system alarm light came on. It flickered on and off for a day or two until I got someone to look at it. The batteries did not appear to be charging, judging by the voltmeter in the panel.

Two shops told me the alternator was bad. I had it replaced, but got strange results. Now when I start it, the alternator does not charge the batteries, but the red battery alert light is off. The chassis batteries take me down the road, showing about 12.2 volts.

After about 1 hour of driving, the red battery light suddenly comes on, and the voltage jumps to 13.4 volts where I would hope it would be.

Turning off the engine, and immediately restarting it starts the whole sequence over again

Got me scratching my head for sure. What's going on here?

timwoodburn 09-18-2014 06:39 PM

Bishko Manuals has a complete shop manual on CD for the 2010-2011 Workhorse W16D chassis. $90 + shipping. Tel. 800-544-3312.

cshepherd 09-19-2014 09:05 AM

looking for an avanti 3106

I am looking for an Avanti 3106 to purchase. Would prefer a 2011 or newer, I want the cummins. If you know of one please contact me at 435-632-9075.

thank you

mcruc 09-19-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwoodburn (Post 2191663)

After about 1 hour of driving, the red battery light suddenly comes on, and the voltage jumps to 13.4 volts where I would hope it would be.

Turning off the engine, and immediately restarting it starts the whole sequence over again

Got me scratching my head for sure. What's going on here?

Tim, what'd you ever figure out on this? I do have the service manual for what I'll call the "power distribution unit" they used on many of these. I've tried (not too hard) to figure it out but it always surprises me.

Yeah, the alternator can charge the house batteries going down the road sometimes and the generator apparently can feed the starting batteries for a while. That was enough for me to quite looking at this without a beer..

It all goes through this power control center which on my late 2012 2806 is the most forward compartment on the driver side.

It would appear this thing has both the starting battery and house battery circuits available since there's that "bridge switch on the dash" obviously. Given that, I think that's the place to focus on.

I think either there's a bug or by design, but any charging source "levels out" both circuits before disengaging one or the other depending on whether the charge source is the alternator or an AC device.

I'm guessing your earlier troubles were with this relay and/or the unit itself.
I'll look at my service manual and see if I can figure this out.

timwoodburn 09-20-2014 07:43 AM

The problem is still not fixed. We were able to get home from our trip to Canada by plugging into shore power every night and supplementing the output of the convertor with a 7A battery charger. That would let us run at least 200 miles, but without A/C or any other chassis systems switched on.

Then I discovered that on a long grade, spinning up the engine to something like 4,000 RPM caused the alternator to suddenly start charging. And when it did, the Battery Charging System Failure light would come on also. It now became our Battery Now Charging light.

It appears that Damon used the Workhorse W16D chassis for this coach, before switching to Freightliner for the 2012 model year. Neither Thor or Workhorse could provide a wiring diagram for this machine.

I have finally, after weeks of searching, located a service manual for this chassis. It contains all of the how-tos about the chassis as well as the wiring diagram for it. The book, and many other service manuals, is available from Bishko Books, tel. (800)-544-3312. It comes on a CD and runs $90 + shipping and should arrive next week.

This wiring diagram will show us where the wires go after they leave the alternator. I have a local Tech here that will tackle the job when the CD gets here. I'll let you know what he finds.

Avanti2806 09-21-2014 09:08 AM

Model year 2011 - 2806

I have a 2011 2806 with a Freightliner MC-l chassis. All of the technical manuals are on-line at freightliner (if you have an account).

I download bits and pieces as I need them.

Cummins does not recommend running thie engine at 4,000 RPM.

Gdgb23 01-05-2015 07:49 AM

Recently purchased a 2009 Damon avanti 3106 with 60k miles (workhorse/maxxforce 5). We took possession on a Friday and set off for NY the next day, returning to Tennessee a week later. Total miles traveled were about 2100. Below are some observations and questions.

1. Using coolant at the rate of 1 gallon per 500 miles. Can't find any signs of external leak. Pretty sure it's the EGR cooler leaking. Positive note, it only burned about 1/2 quart of oil for total trip. I got a quote for $1500 for fix? Does that sound right? Should the dealer fix? I noticed this the day after I took home and it did not began leaking "overnight".

2. The previous owner installed Firestone airbags for ride assist. They worked when we left dealer, now they dont. Probably a blown fuse but have not checked yet. Anyone have experience with them?

3. Wipers won't turn off in heavy rain. Searched other post about a wet plug shorting it out. Anyone have this issue?

4. Microwave doesn't work. It turns on and makes noise but does not get "hot". During PDI I checked but did not actually cook anything. Asked tech and he said it worked fine. My bad for trusting.

5. TV went out while plugged into shore power. All other AC outlets and stuff works. We did have a electric heater plugged into an outlet run by the inverter. Could I have over loaded the inverter even though we were plugged into shore power (30amp). Checked all fuses and breakers, they were all good. Where is the inverter, and does it have its own fuse, or does it have to be reset?

6. The victron 600s battery monitor reads 2 volts when roads are wet. The solar panel monitor and house meter read 12-14 depending on state of charge. Could the victron have a short somewhere that gets wet?

7. Squeaky engine pulley. I did not notice on test drive. Question here is how much does it cost to have a pulley replaced?

8. The black tank flush is not letting in any water. Am I missing a step? I hooked up hose and turned on water, opened dump valve. The tanks did sit 1/2 full at dealer lot for a few months. What's the best way to get working/clean tank out?

All in all it was a good trip. The leaking EGR upsets me, and I am still waiting on a response from the dealer (camping world nashville). We averaged 11.5 mpg at 63mph, no toad. I hope that goes up a bit after the EGR gets fixed. Any thoughts or your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

westy67 01-21-2015 08:00 PM

looking at 2011 2806

Just found out about these. Seem to fit the bill real well. Too bad they are not making them anymore.
All looks very favorable. Looking to upgrade from a 1994 Damon Intruder. Does anyone want to offer up any additional comments? Good, bad or indifferent. Freightliner with Cummings better than Workhorse with Maxxforce 5? Has anyone driven both? Are hey loud when driving? Or just a normal diesel hmm. I live n Florida- Tampa Bay area. Thanks:cool:

SuzyCothran 07-07-2015 07:42 PM

I am very interested in buying a 2010 Avanti 3106. Since almost all these posts are several years old, I'm wondering what you think of this RV once it has a little age on it.

Gdgb23 07-08-2015 05:52 AM

I would stay away due to the engine in them. It's a max force and has an egr cooler that is known to leak coolant into the engine when they go bad. I had one and it went bad twice. Real pain in the butt.

If it has a cummins id say go for it depending on the pre buy inspection of course.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35b

Reid 07-08-2015 08:34 AM

Response to Suzy wanting to buy 2010 Avanti 3106

We have a 2011 Avanti 3106 with the Workhorse chassis and MaxForce V engine and love it!!! We travel about four months of the year (3 months at Key West Naval Air Station - KWNAS Dec-March) and with a few exceptions meets all of our requirements.

We've not had any of the EGR engine trouble that gdgb23 mentions. I do see the EGR icon come on when the engine is doing it's thing in recirculating a part of the exhaust gas back into the engine.

We usually tow our Mini Cooper on a dolly trailer and get about 9-10 mpg when towing; when not towing, about 14+ mpg.

The storage compartment in the rear is LARGE... We've not seen any other current Class A that has this much rear storage.

We did not like the flimsy Carefree brand awning. Even though it was electric, you had to manually deploy the support legs (if you didn't, the door would hit the underside of the awning); getting the legs out and then putting them back when ready to retract was a 5+ minute job each way. It was also too short. We had a 17' Dometic weather pro awning installed and love it.

We have to dry camp a good bit of the time at KWNAS and have made some changes to the electrical system to accommodate this. I installed four 6-volt batteries for more amp hours of use; also a 128 watt solar panel on the roof.

The faux leather upholstery has become a problem... the small defects we began to see on the arms of the dinette in 2013 have grown much larger; with 12" x 2" wide strips of fabric coming off of the backing. So far have not had much luck in talking with Thor though the manufacturer of the fabric seemed willing to do something.

Hope this info helps...

Reid Gantt

SuzyCothran 07-09-2015 12:24 AM

Reid:

I find it very interesting that you are able to dry camp in Key West with this unit. I thought it was awfully hot inside without the AC running. Also thought there was not much breeze able to flow through the windows. Apparently these were not problems for you. Any thoughts? I really like the floor plan and even the price was in our range, so if I could reconcile myself that we could dry camp in it, I would feel so much better about it.

Also interested in your comment about the upholstery. I really found the chaise comfortable. I'm a 5-footer with significant restless leg syndrome, so I need a separate place to sleep (and wiggle!) Regardless of the unit we end up with, I'd love to find something that comfortable.

Reid 07-09-2015 07:48 AM

" Suzy said: I thought it was awfully hot inside without the AC running. Also thought there was not much breeze able to flow through the windows."

I don't think there is much difference between motorhome brands regarding flow of air through the windows. You correct the flow of air by turning on the overhead vent fans. There are three roof vents in the 3106; one in main cabin that has a Fantastic fan. The other two came with tiny vent motors. I changed out the one over the bed with another Fantastic fan. I bought this unit with ability to switch air from flowing in to flowing out; I also modified the cabin fan to do the same, i.e. switch directional flow of air. I installed a cover over the bedroom vent so it can be used when it is raining and will likely do the same on the cabin vent fan. We also have a 12-volt Fantastic portable fan as well as a 110 volt house current fan that we use as needed. One other step can help on keeping the inside a little cooler and that is deploying the awning to block the sun on that side. It helps a lot.

There are 3 sleeping areas. The bed in back is a short queen. I am 5' 11" and it was a little short for me... I fixed this by moving the mattress about 1.5 - 2 inches away from the head board and put some foam pads there. After having a spring come loose in the original mattress, we bought another one from Camping World and put a 2" latex foam (not memory foam) pad on top. Perfect sleeping now. There is also a queen bed that drops down over the driver and pedestrian seats. Very easy to pull down and put back up. I frequently will pull it down for a short nap. Our son slept there when he and his wife visited... she slept on the couch that folds flat.

No RV is ever perfect.... some fit your needs better than others. You just need to find one that meets most of your expectations and go for it.

Reid

mcruc 09-10-2015 08:24 PM

Since this seems like the only active general Avanti forum out there I thought I'd use this thread.

We've sadly decided to part with our '12 2806. It's one of the last 4 serial numbers produced and we've done significant upgrades along with fixing all the initial "punch list" stuff. Has the 200hp Cummins/Allison (DEF) and just turned 5000 miles.

We just don't use it and are switching to a cabin instead. PM me if you or know anybody interested. It's still basically new.
Mark