iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Damon (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Are there any Avanti owners in the forum? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/are-there-any-avanti-owners-in-the-forum-128030.html)

SuzyCothran 09-14-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruc (Post 2739083)
Since this seems like the only active general Avanti forum out there I thought I'd use this thread.

We've sadly decided to part with our '12 2806. It's one of the last 4 serial numbers produced and we've done significant upgrades along with fixing all the initial "punch list" stuff. Has the 200hp Cummins/Allison (DEF) and just turned 5000 miles.

We just don't use it and are switching to a cabin instead. PM me if you or know anybody interested. It's still basically new.
Mark

Where are you and what do you want for it?

mcruc 09-16-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyCothran (Post 2744781)
Where are you and what do you want for it?

PM'd you. Don't want to obscure the thread with my sale detail.

Klaseeks 11-18-2015 04:45 AM

Front Floor Carpet Template needed for Avanti 3106
 
I need a template for a 3106 front carpet, anyone out there would be kind enough to do this for me? I'll even send the tracing paper. I tried myself but can't seem to get it with the seats in the way. Or if anyone can tell me how to pop out the seats?

Thanks

Peggy In Central Pa.

Larry.D.3 01-11-2016 03:37 PM

I recently bought a 2011 Avanti 2806, great coach but have a question about the slide out. While cleaning I dropped my phone under the slide out inside, as I was fishing for it I noticed a lot of light coming from outside under the slid out. On closer inspection I have a 1/2" crack the full length of the slid out, what amounts to about a 1 square foot hole to the outside. Is something missing? like a wiper or foam seal. If its not missing and this is normal, has anyone found a solution, as a temporary solution I stuff a few (3) lengths of foam pipe insulation in the crack when it's out. I've asked Thor a couple of times about this and haven't received any response so far.

Avanti2806 01-12-2016 06:58 PM

Pipe Isulation
 
Your solution is optimal - we have been using foam pipe insulation for 4+ years. The factory installed a thin rubber seal but it is not effective.

Good luck on getting any useful response from Thor Motor Coach.

Dave Walters 01-28-2016 12:14 AM

Hi all..
 
I've been looking around a LOT,and I've narrowed my choices down to a couple Class As of which one is the Avanti 3106.
I'd go for the 28' Avanti but it doesn't have the rear storage of the 3106,I can get my motorcycle back there and won't need a tow car.

Never been in one but have closely scrutinized every photo and video out there,and the only thing that kind of bothers me is the very tiny counter space.And the small sink but can't tell how deep it is.

But it doesn't bother me all that bad,as I am an avid BBQ guy but there will be days when I won't be out there.And if it's hot I'll be cooking outdoors anyways.
I use my Instant Pot a lot,so not much room really needed,but has this been a bother for any 3106 owners,or do you just adjust to it?

BTW on one for sale,to the left of the sink was a fold down extension of counter space..any reviews?

Thanks for any advice.

frankdamp 01-28-2016 10:25 AM

Our son-in-law's family were Avanti owners. His dad was a Studebaker enthusiast and he had about 15 Studebaker Avantis, not the RV variant.

Reid 01-29-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Walters (Post 2918477)
I've been looking around a LOT,and I've narrowed my choices down to a couple Class As of which one is the Avanti 3106.
I'd go for the 28' Avanti but it doesn't have the rear storage of the 3106,I can get my motorcycle back there and won't need a tow car.

Never been in one but have closely scrutinized every photo and video out there,and the only thing that kind of bothers me is the very tiny counter space.And the small sink but can't tell how deep it is.

But it doesn't bother me all that bad,as I am an avid BBQ guy but there will be days when I won't be out there.And if it's hot I'll be cooking outdoors anyways.
I use my Instant Pot a lot,so not much room really needed,but has this been a bother for any 3106 owners,or do you just adjust to it?

BTW on one for sale,to the left of the sink was a fold down extension of counter space..any reviews?

Thanks for any advice.

Sink is 7" deep and 15" across. True, there is not a lot of food prep space. Someone must have added the drop down shelf on left of sink.... I was planning to add one there.

Dave Walters 01-31-2016 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reid (Post 2920510)
Sink is 7" deep and 15" across. True, there is not a lot of food prep space. Someone must have added the drop down shelf on left of sink.... I was planning to add one there.

Thanks Reid.
Here's a pic.
The other one on my list is the Serrano 31Z but seems to be a lot of negativity about them. But can't tell if that's a loud yet small minority,or a majority.

timwoodburn 02-02-2016 08:17 AM

2010 Avanti 3106
 
I've had this RV for several years and have enjoyed it in travels all over the continent.

But we're looking for something a bit larger now, and have decided to put the Avanti on the market.

If you'd like to find out more about it, write me at: tim.woodburn@yahoo.com.

Avanti2806 08-31-2016 07:38 AM

Front and Side Glass Sun Shades.
 
During the summers in Southern Arizona, the heat coming through the front windshield makes our single A/C ineffective.
Has anyone purchased premade front and side glass shades? We are seriously considering the “Magna Shade” product and like its design – just not sure how effective the sun blocking capability is.
Thanks in advance Avanti owners. :confused:

ehc 09-03-2016 11:54 AM

We bought the Magna Shades a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with them. Easy to put up and take down. We did the windshield and driver's and passengers side windows. Can't comment on self installation as we had them installed at the factory in NC.

SteveOGilroy 09-03-2016 06:58 PM

I might not be on topic here.... We have found that hanging a curtain just behind the front driver and passenger's seat makes a big difference in keeping the cool in the living area during the summer and heat in the area during the fall and winter. Also we keep it closed while driving and the chassis' A/C and heater then keep us comfortable.

Avanti2806 09-04-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehc (Post 3238197)
We bought the Magna Shades a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with them. Easy to put up and take down. We did the windshield and driver's and passengers side windows. Can't comment on self installation as we had them installed at the factory in NC.

I think I saw pictures of your unit with the shades installed on the Magna Shade web site - very clean installation.

Thanks for the feedback.

2806

Reid 09-21-2016 07:30 PM

I made my own windshield shade out of Phifertex (from Sailrite.com). This material allows you to see outside but folks cannot see inside (except at night when lights are on in coach). Also made an awning sun/wind shade out of same material. These were very easy to make. I can provide more detail and photos to any that need it.

Another question. I have a serious leak at the sliding window on both driver and passenger side. I just put on several layers of duct tape to stop it but this is only a temporary fix as you need to be able to open the windows sometimes. Yesterday, I bought a gutter extension and installed these on right and left front, along with a rubber gutter that I installed between the awning and gutter extension. These helped very much on the flow (it has really been raining here) but there were still leaks which is why I used the duct tape. Any ideas? Do any of you have this problem?

tmcfaul1 01-18-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshepherd (Post 2234787)
I am looking for an Avanti 3106 to purchase. Would prefer a 2011 or newer, I want the cummins. If you know of one please contact me at 435-632-9075.

thank you

This is way late but I hope you found what you were looking for and have enjoyed it. We're in the process of looking for the same rv and hope to learn from your experience.
Theresa

Balto 07-07-2019 08:32 PM

Can anyone tell me if the drivers seat can move up and down for shorter people? Thanks

jsincl 10-26-2020 07:13 PM

recently purchased used 2011Avanti 2806 has the same problem with front side window tracks filling with rainwater.
wife says she found a mention on line that Damon did not provide functional weep holes in these window installations.

currently looking for a solution.

ehc 10-27-2020 07:26 AM

When leveling we made sure the front was slightly higher than the rear allowing the rain water to drain toward the back. Took care of our similar issue.

jsincl 03-27-2021 09:57 PM

my 2011 Avanti 2806 does not have a switch for an exhaust break though Cummins info indicates that the exhaust break is integral to the turbocharger on the ISB 6.7.
-- so I guess that it functions independently??
Would be comforting to know -- heading to the mountains

Avanti2806 03-28-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsincl (Post 5690217)
my 2011 Avanti 2806 does not have a switch for an exhaust break though Cummins info indicates that the exhaust break is integral to the turbocharger on the ISB 6.7.
-- so I guess that it functions independently??
Would be comforting to know -- heading to the mountains


The "Engine Brake" feature was introduced by TMC in the 2012 model year. I am not aware of any Avanti owners who have retrofitted this feature to earlier models.

Stinson 06-02-2021 09:19 AM

Hello, had the same problem with water spilling inside during heavy rain. Found a solution, but not easy to do. The problem with these windows is that installers placed sealer all around the window frames during installation. They simply did not skip over the weep holes, probably the same installer because they only made these units for two years. If you remove the rubber insert and the track piece you will see the weep holes. It takes a lot of work to get through the gum that was used as a sealer. Requires a very, very thin saw blade with an angled point to get through. After you do, clip off one end of a coping saw blade and use it to remove the gum. Most of this work must be done outside so you must protect your finish with something like a thin piect of plastic for the blade to ride back and fourth flat against it. I can now see light through these weep holes and heavy rain these past few days have proven that they now work as they should.

jsincl 09-17-2021 02:09 PM

overdrive switch
 
My 2011 Avanti 2806 has an overdrive off switch on the leftside dash next to the cruse control switch. I am unable to detect any change in RPM when the switch is selected. Does this model have a functional overdrive off??

jsincl 09-17-2021 03:39 PM

overdrive
 
Perhaps my first question should have been: Does the 2011 Avanti 2806(Cummins ISB 6.7/Allison 1000 six speed/Freightliner) have an overdrive?

Stinson 09-18-2021 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsincl (Post 5496914)
recently purchased used 2011Avanti 2806 has the same problem with front side window tracks filling with rainwater.
wife says she found a mention on line that Damon did not provide functional weep holes in these window installations.

currently looking for a solution.

This is true, and it is a pain to correct. We had water coming in and spilling during a heavy rain several times. You must be careful removing the slider felt strip (so that you can reuse it) and pull out the rubber surround pieces. Then using small thin files, a very thin/narrow flexible putty like instrument, and picks you can pull out the rubber seal material from the weep hole locations. It is a difficult task and you can mar the outside finish if you don't be careful. But ours now work well and there is no longer any water buildup. It seems the initial factory installers just spread sealer around the entire surface and did not bother to miss the weep holes that are there. Under the felt liner you will find the slots leading to the outside slots. You can push the very thin narrow like putty tool (really an artist stainless steel paint mixing spade) through the outside holes where you must remove the sealer from outside. From the outside, once you have marked the slots with a grease pin for location when outside, you can then begin to insert the thin tools to grab the sealer but don't push up too far or you will be pushing on the glass gas sealer. The best tool is a broken dental pick to grab and remove the unwanted sealer from the outside so these weep hole locations can function. There are three or four of them.
Good luck with the project,
Stinson

Avanti2806 09-26-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsincl (Post 5917549)
My 2011 Avanti 2806 has an overdrive off switch on the leftside dash next to the cruse control switch. I am unable to detect any change in RPM when the switch is selected. Does this model have a functional overdrive off??

I have a 2011 Avanti 2806 with a switch to the left of the steering wheel labelled “OD OFF” (Overdrive OFF). When the switch is enabled (Overdrive OFF - switch light ON), the transmission uses gears 1-4 only. When the switch is disabled (Overdrive ON - switch light OFF), the transmission uses all of the gears (1-6). The labelling is a bit confusing, but it works.

jsincl 09-28-2021 06:48 AM

od update
 
thanks for the update. I do have an OD OFF switch that is not working.
The motor home is now parked at the local Allison repair shop awaiting diagnosis.
A separate thread related to this issue was resolved by reseating the connectors to the switch.
Wish I had seen this before signing up for the minimum 2 hr diagnostic charge($324)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.