iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Best Vehicle to tow (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/best-vehicle-to-tow-130377.html)

gfpeter 07-15-2012 01:17 PM

Best Vehicle to tow

Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. We are new at this game so wanted to get opinions on what type, model of vehicle is a good choice. I do have a heavy duty trailor that will hold a standard size pick up or my subaru legacy but then have to deal with storing the trailor. Thanks in advance for your help!

bdickson 07-15-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfpeter (Post 1244248)
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. We are new at this game so wanted to get opinions on what type, model of vehicle is a good choice. I do have a heavy duty trailor that will hold a standard size pick up or my subaru legacy but then have to deal with storing the trailor. Thanks in advance for your help!

We tow a Honda FIT 4 wheels down. Only 2,600 pounds, don't even know its back there.

RickO 07-15-2012 01:21 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Feel free to use our search feature and you'll find tons of reading material on how folks feel about their toads.

Jeeps seem to be the most popular followed by Honda CRV IMO. We toad a Jeep Grand Cherokee and loved it but I think the Wrangler is even more popular as a toad.

Best of luck...

Rick

mgscott4 07-15-2012 01:28 PM

Chevrolet Malibu

pagosajoe 07-15-2012 01:35 PM

Certainly depends on the motor home's capabilities. Check the limits of what you can tow safely, THEN decide which toad is for you. Ours is a GMC Acadia, and the motor home's rated for 10,000 pounds, as is the hitch. As others have mentioned, we don't even know it's there - thank goodness for rear view cameras! :thumb:

And, welcome to iRV2!

:welcome:

HabitatGuy 07-15-2012 08:26 PM

We have pulled our 2000 Jeep Wrangler behind three different motor homes now. First a class c with small block Chevy, then a 20 year old class A with the Ford 460 and now a '06 Windsport with the Ford V10. Easily pulled by all. easy to prepare and hook up with the transfer case drive train and a lot of fun when you reach your destination.

njs42 07-15-2012 09:01 PM

Very hard to beat the Honda CR-V. Easy tow. Easy set up four down tow. 3500 pounds. A consumers best buy in every production year, highest resale value, highest safety ratings, highest reliability scores year after year.

Silky smooth engine and transmission, roomy for it's size. Plenty of bling if you want it, or less if not.

Lots of people like other tows for good reasons but few if any can match this pedigree.

Dwillie 07-19-2012 07:47 AM

We have towed the Jeep Wrangler, 2 door. We loved the jeep, and was a very useful vehicle around the house when not camping. If it would have been a 4 door, may still have it, but our grandson goes with us about all the time, so the 2 door was a pain. I like a truck and it has more uses camping and when not camping. We opted for the Chev-Colorado 4X4. Just plug and play. No drive shaft to disconnect, hook up put in neutral and tow. Great for hauling extras in the bed, and is light too.

Mekanic 07-19-2012 08:08 AM

Jeep Wrangler hands down. The best ANY weather convertable out there.

New2this 07-19-2012 09:30 AM

Towing

We use a Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly to tow our 2011 Buick Regal. We opted for this set-up because it is reasonably easy to use and store (tongue folds back) and we usually run 3 year leases on our cars so making any modifications to the car for towing purposes would be cost prohibitive for us. Prior to the Regal we towed a Saturn Aura.

Good luck on selection,
Bob

rv rick 07-19-2012 07:55 PM

You will have many options. We wanted a comfortable car with reasonable mileage, lots of features, and can be towed 4 wheels down. We ended up with a Buick LaCrosse (2010 or newer). After 20,000 miles of towing, we are very pleased with the car and its performance.

buck454 07-19-2012 08:04 PM

Agree that Jeeps are very popular and for good reasons. I have towed a '85 CJ7 many miles, but if wanting more, and in the pickup models, I like towing my Chevy Colorado. I use a Roadmaster Sterling tow system and Brake Buddy. Hardly know it is there with the 400 Cummins. Other GMC products probably tow well also.

aschuller1 07-21-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfpeter (Post 1244248)

This is one of those subjects that there are a lot of opinions out there. As the old saying goes "opinions are like aXXXXXXs, everyone has one". So, IMO you should consider the following:
What can be safely towed by your MH (hitch weight rating)?
Will this vehicle need to be a "daily driver" or only a toad?
How easy/expensive to set up to tow (can you "do it yourself" - some older vehicles are a simple bolt on for the base plates - like older CRVs - research the manufacturer's web sites and you can review installation manuals)?
Do you want/need AWD/4WD?
Does the toad have the fit, finish, comfort, size that will suit you when you "get where u are going"?
Ect., ect., ect.
Check out the Remco website and you can enter a make/model/year of most any vehicle and find out if the vehicle can be towed and what modifications, if any, would be necessary...Good luck and let us know what you decide on. :thumb:

So Cal Roo 07-21-2012 07:06 PM

Important note: if you go with Jeep make sure it's 4 wheel drive.