iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Best Vehicle to tow (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/best-vehicle-to-tow-130377.html)

gfpeter 07-15-2012 01:17 PM

Best Vehicle to tow
 
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. We are new at this game so wanted to get opinions on what type, model of vehicle is a good choice. I do have a heavy duty trailor that will hold a standard size pick up or my subaru legacy but then have to deal with storing the trailor. Thanks in advance for your help!

bdickson 07-15-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfpeter (Post 1244248)
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. We are new at this game so wanted to get opinions on what type, model of vehicle is a good choice. I do have a heavy duty trailor that will hold a standard size pick up or my subaru legacy but then have to deal with storing the trailor. Thanks in advance for your help!

We tow a Honda FIT 4 wheels down. Only 2,600 pounds, don't even know its back there.

RickO 07-15-2012 01:21 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Feel free to use our search feature and you'll find tons of reading material on how folks feel about their toads.

Jeeps seem to be the most popular followed by Honda CRV IMO. We toad a Jeep Grand Cherokee and loved it but I think the Wrangler is even more popular as a toad.

Best of luck...

Rick

mgscott4 07-15-2012 01:28 PM

Chevrolet Malibu

pagosajoe 07-15-2012 01:35 PM

Certainly depends on the motor home's capabilities. Check the limits of what you can tow safely, THEN decide which toad is for you. Ours is a GMC Acadia, and the motor home's rated for 10,000 pounds, as is the hitch. As others have mentioned, we don't even know it's there - thank goodness for rear view cameras! :thumb:

And, welcome to iRV2!

:welcome:

HabitatGuy 07-15-2012 08:26 PM

We have pulled our 2000 Jeep Wrangler behind three different motor homes now. First a class c with small block Chevy, then a 20 year old class A with the Ford 460 and now a '06 Windsport with the Ford V10. Easily pulled by all. easy to prepare and hook up with the transfer case drive train and a lot of fun when you reach your destination.

njs42 07-15-2012 09:01 PM

Very hard to beat the Honda CR-V. Easy tow. Easy set up four down tow. 3500 pounds. A consumers best buy in every production year, highest resale value, highest safety ratings, highest reliability scores year after year.

Silky smooth engine and transmission, roomy for it's size. Plenty of bling if you want it, or less if not.

Lots of people like other tows for good reasons but few if any can match this pedigree.

Dwillie 07-19-2012 07:47 AM

We have towed the Jeep Wrangler, 2 door. We loved the jeep, and was a very useful vehicle around the house when not camping. If it would have been a 4 door, may still have it, but our grandson goes with us about all the time, so the 2 door was a pain. I like a truck and it has more uses camping and when not camping. We opted for the Chev-Colorado 4X4. Just plug and play. No drive shaft to disconnect, hook up put in neutral and tow. Great for hauling extras in the bed, and is light too.

Mekanic 07-19-2012 08:08 AM

Jeep Wrangler hands down. The best ANY weather convertable out there.

New2this 07-19-2012 09:30 AM

Towing
 
We use a Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly to tow our 2011 Buick Regal. We opted for this set-up because it is reasonably easy to use and store (tongue folds back) and we usually run 3 year leases on our cars so making any modifications to the car for towing purposes would be cost prohibitive for us. Prior to the Regal we towed a Saturn Aura.

Good luck on selection,
Bob

rv rick 07-19-2012 07:55 PM

You will have many options. We wanted a comfortable car with reasonable mileage, lots of features, and can be towed 4 wheels down. We ended up with a Buick LaCrosse (2010 or newer). After 20,000 miles of towing, we are very pleased with the car and its performance.

buck454 07-19-2012 08:04 PM

Agree that Jeeps are very popular and for good reasons. I have towed a '85 CJ7 many miles, but if wanting more, and in the pickup models, I like towing my Chevy Colorado. I use a Roadmaster Sterling tow system and Brake Buddy. Hardly know it is there with the 400 Cummins. Other GMC products probably tow well also.

aschuller1 07-21-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfpeter (Post 1244248)
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. We are new at this game so wanted to get opinions on what type, model of vehicle is a good choice. I do have a heavy duty trailor that will hold a standard size pick up or my subaru legacy but then have to deal with storing the trailor. Thanks in advance for your help!

This is one of those subjects that there are a lot of opinions out there. As the old saying goes "opinions are like aXXXXXXs, everyone has one". So, IMO you should consider the following:
What can be safely towed by your MH (hitch weight rating)?
Will this vehicle need to be a "daily driver" or only a toad?
How easy/expensive to set up to tow (can you "do it yourself" - some older vehicles are a simple bolt on for the base plates - like older CRVs - research the manufacturer's web sites and you can review installation manuals)?
Do you want/need AWD/4WD?
Does the toad have the fit, finish, comfort, size that will suit you when you "get where u are going"?
Ect., ect., ect.
Check out the Remco website and you can enter a make/model/year of most any vehicle and find out if the vehicle can be towed and what modifications, if any, would be necessary...Good luck and let us know what you decide on. :thumb:

So Cal Roo 07-21-2012 07:06 PM

Important note: if you go with Jeep make sure it's 4 wheel drive.

Gadget63 07-21-2012 07:10 PM

I'll be towing a 2002 Caddi Deville. 4045 pounds. At least until we can find a smaller American Car

Coyote Rich 07-25-2012 03:35 PM

We are having major problems with our 96 Saturn wagon. We have towed it many miles, but now it is unreliable. Since we can't seem to get it repaired, we are looking for a used vehicle in good condition. We are wondering if anyone has a suggestion that is not a jeep or a truck. We are a bit stumped. Does your tow need to be a standard transmission? Our Saturn had a system for towing, but hearing about disconnecting drive lines, ect. makes us wonder. Any suggestions are welcome.

Gadget63 07-25-2012 04:41 PM

I bought a tow dolly and I am thinking of buying a used HyunDai Elantra. We rented one for a week and it weighs 3000 pounds, seats five and I managed to get 42 mpg with an automatic transmission.

Joe & Bonnie 07-26-2012 12:13 PM

Saturns have always been great cars to tow. We've towed our '07 Saturn Aura 6K miles with no problems whatsoever. Simply put it in neutral, leave the key in accessory position, pull the ignition fuse from under the console, and away we went!

HabitatGuy 07-26-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfpeter
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. We are new at this game so wanted to get opinions on what type, model of vehicle is a good choice. I do have a heavy duty trailor that will hold a standard size pick up or my subaru legacy but then have to deal with storing the trailor. Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe and Bonnie have a Saturn for sale. Look in the current thread "Anyone have experience selling toad"

ncylee 07-27-2012 09:22 PM

We are also new to RVing. We got our MH in March and a Honda CRV toad soon after. Don't have anything to compare it to, but it's easy to tow, and a nice little (but not too little) car. Good luck!

aschuller1 07-28-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschuller1 (Post 1250657)
This is one of those subjects that there are a lot of opinions out there. As the old saying goes "opinions are like aXXXXXXs, everyone has one". So, IMO you should consider the following:
What can be safely towed by your MH (hitch weight rating)?
Will this vehicle need to be a "daily driver" or only a toad?
How easy/expensive to set up to tow (can you "do it yourself" - some older vehicles are a simple bolt on for the base plates - like older CRVs - research the manufacturer's web sites and you can review installation manuals)?
Do you want/need AWD/4WD?
Does the toad have the fit, finish, comfort, size that will suit you when you "get where u are going"?
Ect., ect., ect.
Check out the Remco website and you can enter a make/model/year of most any vehicle and find out if the vehicle can be towed and what modifications, if any, would be necessary...Good luck and let us know what you decide on. :thumb:

One important thing I forgot to mention...make sure you verify the coach GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight) rating. Our 2011 gasser has a 5000 LB hitch. However, after weighing the coach fully loaded (fuel, water, propane, food, wife, pets, etc.), I only had about 4000 left on the GCVW. Decided to go with a 2012 Subaru Outback @3400 lbs. Good luck on your search for the "right (for you)" vehicle!

tbomn 07-31-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote Rich (Post 1255422)
We are having major problems with our 96 Saturn wagon. We have towed it many miles, but now it is unreliable. Since we can't seem to get it repaired, we are looking for a used vehicle in good condition. We are wondering if anyone has a suggestion that is not a jeep or a truck. We are a bit stumped. Does your tow need to be a standard transmission? Our Saturn had a system for towing, but hearing about disconnecting drive lines, ect. makes us wonder. Any suggestions are welcome.

We have a 2007 GMC Envoy that tows perfect. The market is such that the Envoy (not made anymore) is pretty hard to find, but a perfect toad. The hookup is simple, tows light(4065lbs) and has plenty of room for 5 people. The mileage isn't bad either(we average 24MPG). Ours has 73000 miles and drives like new. Put new tires on it at 70000 miles. If you are looking at a used vehicle for a toad, you may want to look at the Envoy. Ours is a 4 wheel drive, with the 4.2L engine.

Jol912 07-31-2012 06:04 PM

Jeep Wrangler 2 door 4 down. Forget it's back there, so easy to tow. If I had to do over I would make it a 4 door since our granddaughters travel with us often and it would make it a lot more comfortable.

Traps90 07-31-2012 08:53 PM

We have a Jeep Liberty, I think a little bit friendlier than the Jeep Wrangler as a daily driver, but than not as capable as the Wrangler off-road.

Nice thing with the Jeeps is you hook them up, put transfer case in Neutral and the tranny in Park, (you can even take the key out of the ignition on the 2008 and newer as there;s no steering lock on them) the nice part is when heading south for the winter you can tow unlimited miles without ever having to start the Jeep and run the transmission through the gears to keep the transmission lubed. Definitely a no muss or fuss towed.

meant2shop 08-01-2012 06:23 PM

Best Vehicle to Tow 4 on the floor?
 
We like the Honda CRV but used ones are just too pricey, hard to find, and very high mileage - yes I know they run forever.

We have a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar 5000. We are currently towing a Suzuki Sidekick but would like something a bit larger.

We're going to go right now and take a look at a 2001 Subaru Forester AWD Automatic. Roadmaster web site lists the tow brackets for this vehicle. But Remco says this can only be towed on a dolly.

We want to tow 4 on the floor. Can we do this with the '01 Subaru Forester, even though Remco says "no" - "dolly only"?

Also, just in case this one isn't what we're looking for, does anyone have a good used tow vehicle, small SUV type preferred, for $4500K or thereabouts, for sale - with tow brackets already installed? We want an automatic and either 4WD or AWD, 4Door. We live in Oregon, so Oregon, WA, or No. CA vicinity only.

We have a 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B. Want a TOAD that's under 5000 lbs GVW.

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR

aschuller1 08-02-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meant2shop (Post 1263074)
We like the Honda CRV but used ones are just too pricey, hard to find, and very high mileage - yes I know they run forever.

We have a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar 5000. We are currently towing a Suzuki Sidekick but would like something a bit larger.

We're going to go right now and take a look at a 2001 Subaru Forester AWD Automatic. Roadmaster web site lists the tow brackets for this vehicle. But Remco says this can only be towed on a dolly.

We want to tow 4 on the floor. Can we do this with the '01 Subaru Forester, even though Remco says "no" - "dolly only"?

Also, just in case this one isn't what we're looking for, does anyone have a good used tow vehicle, small SUV type preferred, for $4500K or thereabouts, for sale - with tow brackets already installed? We want an automatic and either 4WD or AWD, 4Door. We live in Oregon, so Oregon, WA, or No. CA vicinity only.

We have a 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B. Want a TOAD that's under 5000 lbs GVW.

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR

CVT and automatic Subarus cannot be towed "4-down". They are "trailer" only. The manual transmission are OK on the ground. Go with what Remco says...

Perry White 08-02-2012 10:46 AM

Smart Car. 1800 lbs and cheap plus 44MPG. Probably don't even have to have brakes.
I also tow an Explorer 4 X 4 but if you think about it, I'm not going to tow it anyware I'm going to need a 4 x 4.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.