iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Pros and Cons of using a Sanicon Macerator System (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/pros-and-cons-of-using-a-sanicon-macerator-system-131875.html)

Traps90 07-29-2012 08:40 AM

Pros and Cons of using a Sanicon Macerator System

What are the advantages of using the macerator Sani-Con system over just using a standard 3" drain hose.

It would seem to me that at least with the 3" hose you could leave the drain open if doing laundry and having a couple of showers right away vs constantly having to pump out the tank with the Sani-Con.

Since I've never used a macerator sytem to dump I'm just curious as the new Diplomat we;re looking at getting comes with the Sani-Con setup.

Thanks
Trap

Triker56 07-29-2012 09:05 AM

The Sani-Con system on the MH has a gray water connection that bypass the pump and drains by gravity(same as 3" hose)with your drain open.

You can see the small clear plastic hose in picture.
RV Sani-con Model 5800 Full Waste Management System

pagosajoe 07-29-2012 09:18 AM

We ordered our 2012 Discovery with the RV Sanicon system - love it. You'll hear lots of pros and cons. The Sanicon system, as noted above, has a gray water bypass, which functions just like the 3" stinky slinky, allowing you to leave the gray water valve open when camped.

And, the #1 reason we like the Sanicon is - no stinky slinky.

The system is essentially closed, with only the end cap removed and replaced when using it at a campground. Way easier. :thumb:

The potential downside is that the macerator pump can become clogged if other than normal waste is placed in the toilet. There are standard procedures to handle that issue. It can also be necessary to remove and replace the macerator blade if it becomes worn. Others will chime in with their experience - hasn't happened to us.

danes-on-tour 07-29-2012 09:19 AM

We have used our Sani-con system for the past 5 years, and should it at some point "give up the ghost" we would replace it with another macerator system. Not necessarily from Sani-con because they are overpriced in my view, and there are many others on the marked. Here is one.

"Favorite like": It is a lot cleaner to work with than the traditional hose.

"Favorite dis-like": It takes longer to empty the tanks.

You will no doubt have people chip in with more pro's and con's. Also - do a search in the forum, and you will see this topic being discussed many times.

DennisZ 07-29-2012 09:20 AM

Pros:
Easy to use
CLEAN to use
Less chance of making a "mess"
Easy to store hose
21 foot hose
Stuff does flow uphill
Don't have to connect and disconnect 3" hose and install cap

Cons:
Slower to dump tanks
More succeptable to "debris" in the system (hair, anything tha doesn't dissolve in the tanks or is easily ground up)
Could have a mess if a failure occurs during a dump cycle.

Just my thoughts, I've been using mine for 3 years, I haven't gone back to the old 3" hose, but I do carry one for a backup.

Dennis

WheelingIt 07-29-2012 09:42 AM

Pro..no stinky slinky! Love the fact we never have to disconnect or deal within a sewer hose. I am happy (as a woman) to take on dumping responsibilities and our wet bay is always clean.

Negative...takes a tad longer to dump and you do have to open it up and clean it once a year or so (basic maintenance).

Like others said it has a bypass for the grey, so you can leave that open in camp if you wish.

For us the pro outweighs the negative (by alot). We've been fulltiming with it for 3 years and I love it!

TXiceman 07-29-2012 02:40 PM

I keep one for the times that we need to pump a longer distance or up hill from am a normal dump station. For normal use, I find they are not worth the effort over a standard 3" hose.

Ken

GaryKD 07-29-2012 04:28 PM

Hi Traps90,
I've used the SaniCon for several years, with grey water bypass. I will never return to the 3" hose. In addition to what has been said, the SaniCon will pump about 10 gallons per minute.

bigdomino 07-29-2012 04:45 PM

Have one on my 2008 Monaco. Works well. It has clogged for me twice. A mess to sort out. However agree with all of the pluses and minuses.

What do you guys mean by a grey water bypass? I pull my hose out, open the grew tank valve and crank the pump for a few seconds to get the gravity going and let in drain by itself. So where is the by pass?

Thanks.

Steve

GaryKD 07-29-2012 05:05 PM

Hi bigdomino,
Go to RV Sani-Con System and down load the service manual dated 8/12/2011. On page 12 there is an exploded view of the SaniCon with grey water by pass. The by pass hose is #20.

Robert L 07-29-2012 05:30 PM

We looked at the smelly smallie as an addition. IMO, unless you need to pump up, why bother

Does it allow you to "open the gate" of the black one and let "er rip" ? Or does it slow things down an let the solids not to be flushed properly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traps90 (Post 1259174)
What are the advantages of using the macerator Sani-Con system over just using a standard 3" drain hose.

It would seem to me that at least with the 3" hose you could leave the drain open if doing laundry and having a couple of showers right away vs constantly having to pump out the tank with the Sani-Con.

Since I've never used a macerator sytem to dump I'm just curious as the new Diplomat we;re looking at getting comes with the Sani-Con setup.

Thanks
Trap

TXiceman 07-29-2012 06:59 PM

RobertL, the Sanicon or any of the others do slow down the flow. The 3" hose lets it out in a hurry.

Ken

JimM68 07-29-2012 08:49 PM

many, if not most, monaco coaches have a sanicon from the factory. Our knght, and i's guess most others, also have a techma macerating toilet. That throne, in my opinion, is the key to this system. no solids ever get into our black tank, the techma chews em up on the way down. No clogs, no dreaded pyrimid.

ya, it takes a lil longer to dump, but it's so much cleaner.

Ed-Sommers 07-30-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traps90 (Post 1259174)

Thanks
Trap

Not everyone is always in an RV park, or other place, where there is a dump hole right outside their rig.

Ed