iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   1996 Monaco Signature Series EXHAUST SYSTYEM REPAIR (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/1996-monaco-signature-series-exhaust-systyem-repair-133169.html)

joeplazek 08-09-2012 09:26 PM

1996 Monaco Signature Series EXHAUST SYSTYEM REPAIR

I have a 1996 Monaco Signature Series with a Cummins M11 450eplus and its time to change up the original exhaust system. I was told by a diesel shop to put an exact match exhaust system back on. While I was removing the exhaust system to take it in to have them build an exact match I fired the engine with only the down pipe from the turbo connected. It didn't sound too bad. This gave me an idea of running open straight pipe exhaust.

My question is : Has anyone ever tried this and what were the results??

Where you heading to the nearest truck center to get a muffler back on there??

Joe

mackpeteno 08-09-2012 09:43 PM

For years in our shop we removed mufflers an run straight pipes on trucks .Now if you have an engine brake you will get a ticket for no muffler.The worst state is Colorado. It would be the same with a MH if you get cought.1800.00 in Co.

R2Home 08-10-2012 12:25 AM

I recently replaced the muffler in our MH that has a Cummins 8.3. No one in Alaska had what I needed, so I ordered one from Summit Racing. Has it in three days and it was easy to install. It took me about 40 minutes. It is not a straight through system, so it kept the engine quite.
My 1994 5.9 has no muffler, as it is a straight pipe from the turbo out. It sounds like a truck and is NOT quite. One can hear it coming a long ways off.

joeplazek 11-15-2012 08:57 PM

Ran the rest of the summer and fall with a straight pipe and was quite impressed. 1 mile to the gallon better. Less heat around the engine. The sound is really no different than most trucks. Just had to lay off the Jake Brake in towns.

joeplazek 11-16-2012 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a look at the install and hangers,,, and its about 100 lbs lighter than stock!!

Papa_Jim 11-16-2012 06:24 PM

If you want straight pipe performance with a mellower sound, try this:

Parleys Diesel Performance: Aero Exhaust Resonated Turbine XL Series Performance Muffler AT5050XL

joeplazek 11-16-2012 09:44 PM

Thanks, I will have a look.

Kitz 11-20-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimkate (Post 1372834)
If you want straight pipe performance with a mellower sound, try this:

Parleys Diesel Performance: Aero Exhaust Resonated Turbine XL Series Performance Muffler AT5050XL

Jim,

This looks pretty amazing. What's your experience on the uphill power, mileage and sound?

Papa_Jim 11-21-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitz (Post 1376375)
Jim,

This looks pretty amazing. What's your experience on the uphill power, mileage and sound?

I haven't used it, but when I do need to replace my muffler, it's what I'm going to do.

There are a few threads on it already with lots of good info from guys that have used this muffler.

All reports indicate straight through exhaust performance with a decent muffling of the noise. Apparently the optional resonator does help with that. Although reported to be louder than the stock muffler, everybody reports that it's not objectionable.

I have it on my 'must have' list because one of the best ways to help an engine breath easier is to reduce the exhaust back pressure. Straight pipes are usually objectionable in city traffic, so a muffler like this solves that issue.

joeplazek 11-21-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimkate (Post 1377298)
I haven't used it, but when I do need to replace my muffler, it's what I'm going to do.

There are a few threads on it already with lots of good info from guys that have used this muffler.

All reports indicate straight through exhaust performance with a decent muffling of the noise. Apparently the optional resonator does help with that. Although reported to be louder than the stock muffler, everybody reports that it's not objectionable.

I have it on my 'must have' list because one of the best ways to help an engine breath easier is to reduce the exhaust back pressure. Straight pipes are usually objectionable in city traffic, so a muffler like this solves that issue.

I hear you on the city traffic driving. I do notice mine more then and like I said I refrain from using the Jake Brake in towns and citys. I think if your sensible when you drive you wont see a huge difference between the straight pipe and a flow through muffler. I did try a flow through mock up design when I was building this and you really could not tell the difference in sound. I am working on the air intake side now to see what I can improve there. My goal is 8 mpg. I am currently at 7 mpg with the straight pipe (up from 6 mpg through the muffler) I have a cone type Donaldson breather set up that doe not seem to be real efficient.

Not a huge MPG nut but when you see your miles to empty go from 1200 miles to 1400 miles on a full tank you realize the difference,,, 1600 miles to empty is my goal!!

joe

DtBt 11-21-2012 01:49 PM

also check out the aero turbine mufflers.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/aero...ion-80225.html

joeplazek 11-21-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtBt (Post 1377412)
also check out the aero turbine mufflers.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/aero...ion-80225.html

I will have a look,,, Thanks!!

joe

CJScepter 11-21-2012 11:24 PM

I installed a Aeroturbine 4040 muffler on a 1999 Monaco Diplomat with ISB, Banks Stinger kit, it seemed to go from a stop quicker, coming up to boost quicker. I also started using a cetane booster called Power Service Diesel Kleen(64 oz. at Walmart for $16-$17. It also has a lubricant that helps lube the pump and injectors because the new low sulfer diesel just doesn't have enough to suit me. Between the 2 items I would say I increased fuel mileage by at least 1 MPG, maybe more. I think it's important to add something to the fuel, especially for the older engines that were built before low sulpher diesel. I read a test that showed just adding 2-stroke oil, again from Walmart(their cheap Tech Brand) 200 to 1 ratio, an increase of 1 MPG. Also some older Coaches have had fuel lines deteriorate on the inside because new fuel doesn't have enough lubricant in it. These BIG BOXES we drive are not cheap to repair, I will continue to use alittle additive in mine.
When the muffler goes on my current Coach, I'll put an Areoturbine on it.
John G.

Coma 11-22-2012 06:52 AM

Does anyone have access to before and after normalized dyno tests?