iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Dash AC isn't working (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dash-ac-isnt-working-135475.html)

jim.smithjr 08-31-2012 11:12 AM

Dash AC isn't working

I'm still having trouble with this. Lately it doesn't start when I start the motor home; but it always begins to work in the first mile or two. The last time we used the motor home it worked flawlessly for a couple of hours and then quit just before we arrived at our destination.

Nothing works, btw, except I can hear the fan running sometimes.

I have rechecked all the relays and fuses, none are burnt.

Any thoughts as to where I should check next?

dennis45 08-31-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim.smithjr (Post 1294548)
I'm still having trouble with this. Lately it doesn't start when I start the motor home; but it always begins to work in the first mile or two. The last time we used the motor home it worked flawlessly for a couple of hours and then quit just before we arrived at our destination.

Nothing works, btw, except I can hear the fan running sometimes.

I have rechecked all the relays and fuses, none are burnt.

Any thoughts as to where I should check next?

Hey Jim, Have you confirmed the clutch on the AC Compressor on the engine is engaged? If it is then I would say you may have a leak and the system has lost pressure and needs a re-charge.
Get DW to turn the AC on and off with the engine running while you watch to see if the clutch engages or not. :confused:

jim.smithjr 08-31-2012 03:39 PM

When it works, it works perfectly. Good cool air and lots of it. The problem is that it doesn't start up when it is supposed to, and it shuts down on it's own schedule as well.

And it isn't just the air that doesn't work. The heater, vent and defrost functions also won't work properly. Nothing on that panel works right all the time; but when it is working, it all works.

I think there is vacuum involved in the controls and there is certainly electricity. I am suspect about both these areas?

I had the freon tested and it is right full.

ahicks 09-01-2012 07:40 AM

So it sounds like you're having trouble getting power to the blower motor and the vacuum pump? Could be wrong, but thinking about the only thing they share might be the heater control. That's where I would start....

If nothing found there, I would start at the pump or blower motor (easiest first?) and follow the power path backwards from there to see where it stops/starts? No fun, but once you get into it, betting it doesn't take long....

rvjimmy 09-01-2012 08:06 AM

I think that you have a problem with a high pressure cut out switch.There is a switch that monitors pressure so that you don't blow a hose,if the switch gets weak it shuts off the compressor as that's how it works. When the pressure drops it works again. The hotter it is the higher the pressures run. Also you might try to clean the condenser as this will cause high head pressures also. Hope this helps, hard to fix without being there but I hope this gives you a start.:thumb: Jim

wa8yxm 09-01-2012 12:09 PM

Sounds to me like a blower motor not starting, Here is the logic.

The vent uses ONLY the blower, the Defroster would appear to be working if the BLOWER works (There is more to it but you'd not know that less you know how the system works)

IF you lost vacuum control the Defroster would still work or at least appear to.

THUS it's the blower motor.

You said you can hear the fan running sometimes,, The "Fan" is an engine part and has nothing to do with the HEVAC.. The BLOWER is a HEVAC device which functions like a fan but is built differently.

Now the list of suspects:

1: Motor itself, may have a dead spot and as you move it is shaken enough to move off the dead spot.

2: Connections: I have had bad connections at the motor, also check the other end of the ground wire.

3: relays, the motor gets it's pwoer via one or 2 relays

3: Switch.

4: Circuit breaker.

I had a bit of trouble with mine th is summer. After saving the cost of a couple haircuts OMEY ponited me to a web page that showed me where the power lead for hte blower SHOULD have been connected,, It was not.. It was, however, close and clearly labeled (I LOVE how Damon labels wires Instead of looking for "Blue with white stripe" I had to find "Yellow with DASH A/C" printed on it).

10 seconds later I found the bad circuit breaker.

sc3283 09-02-2012 12:11 AM

rvjimmy...the pressure switch has nothing to do with the man's blower motor not running...it only controls the compressor operation

rvjimmy 09-03-2012 08:54 AM

Sorry I stand corrected.:sad: Jim

jim.smithjr 09-03-2012 09:31 PM

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions; I still haven't got this all figured out, but you have given me some thoughts about where to look further.

Dancing Bear 09-03-2012 10:26 PM

Hi Jim,

Had same problem with my '08 Cayman. Finally determined current transfer too much for installed wiring. Cummin's fixed by installing relay near compressor clutch on frame rail and replaced burned out wiring too right front compartment.

Hope this helps.

dshomo 09-10-2012 08:15 PM

we had problems with our blower motor not working, and it was because it had a poor ground

jim.smithjr 09-11-2012 12:50 AM

Got my dash air system working today. Actually it was the entire dash system; air, heater, vent and defrost. No blower for any of it. I took it to my auto electric expert and he found it in minutes. One of the relays had a loose fitting pin. Squeezed the receptacle tighter and cleaned up the pin. Away it went!

Then I had him check the electric awning, which closed for me yesterday, but was hesitant about it, and it's dead! One thing after another.

We need a wiring schematic for the awning power now...

r cogburn 09-11-2012 09:13 AM

My dash quit working it was the condensor fan drivers side at rear. Fan still blew no cool air. Was able to find a new fan on internet for about $100. We have dash a/c again.

JaM Boyer 10-15-2012 06:12 PM

I am having dash A/C checked currently, sounds as if the system is clogged due to sitting for a number of years whilst previous owners hosted at campgrounds. Mechanic (a personal friend so I trust him) thinks all the pipe/hoses may need to be replaced. Anybody else had a similar problem? Does Navistar keep this kind of thing as spare parts or do I have to get them custom made - I think it's going to be $$$ either way.