iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Service for a F53 V10 when travelling (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/service-for-a-f53-v10-when-travelling-137909.html)

Lincolnboy2 09-24-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahW (Post 1317958)
I would recommend searching for dealerships where large or commercial trucks are sold and serviced. (Such as a Ford commercial truck dealership.) That's where we took our Bounder for the Ford recall a few months ago, and we will also have future oil changes, etc. done there since it's much cheaper than an RV dealership. (We paid $130.00 for an oil change at an RV dealership, then next time paid $40 at the Ford commercial truck dealership.)

Here's a link to the Ford dealer locator; if you plug in your location zip code and other search parameters, you can find the closest one. Locate a Dealer Search Results | Ford.com

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Also! Welcome Aboard!

:welcome:

I know this is irrelevant, but my local Ford Dealer here in Arlington, Texas, Don Davis Ford, does a LOF and 40 point inspection service for 39.95 on my coach. I think that's a great deal.

https://ford.dondavisautogroup.com/se...partment?dpt=4

The link is for those traveling through or living in this area.

AB3EComander 09-30-2012 02:32 AM

As I live in Edmonton, u should try Mr. Lube. They service many RV's for oil & lube. They serviced my rear axle, flushed my transmission 110% with new ATF fluid, oil change, & greased all fittings. Good thing I had printed a copy of the F-53 grease fittings guide so none were missed. They found some water in my rear diff which I have read on this site as a common occurrence from the vent hose. That alone saved me the expense of a new rear diff I hope !!!

clyon51 09-30-2012 07:19 AM

I usually do my own maintenance. However, one day I went into town to top off the propane before a trip. Across the street were one of those "quick oil change" places. I decided to stop and talk to them about my RV. They said just pull around back and get as close to a bay as I can.

They checked all fluids, changed oil & filter and greased it. While doing that, they sent a guy to go get an oil filter for the genny and they changed the oil in that. Something to look into while traveling.

Bobby88 10-03-2012 12:07 PM

I like to do a lot of minor stuff my self...however, when trying to remove the air filter today from my Ford V-10 I couldn't get the top lid to raise up enough to take the filter out after I loosended the three clips in the front....I'm afraid to force it - am I doing something wrong?

clyon51 10-03-2012 05:27 PM

Bobby, I had trouble when I replaced mine on my '99. All I remember is loosening everything (perhaps something below the lid) and I had to do some forcing. The plastic parts are not brittle and should give plenty to get everythimg apart.

GJHD 10-03-2012 07:33 PM

One of the local Ford dealerships serviced my 35 ft Bounder for 115.00. I now have a 2012 Challenger 38 ft. which they won't service nor would any other Ford dealer in my area. I went to a commercial truck shop, and they charged me 160.00 What a rip off for 5 quarts od oil and alittle grease.
I guess I'll be servicing the coach myself in the future

Bobby88 10-04-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyon51 (Post 1328844)
Bobby, I had trouble when I replaced mine on my '99. All I remember is loosening everything (perhaps something below the lid) and I had to do some forcing. The plastic parts are not brittle and should give plenty to get everythimg apart.

Thanks for that advise - I read the owner's manual and all it says is to loosen the front three clips and raise the lid gently.....all I can raise it is about half an inch and no more - still leery about forcing it but I'll try a little at a time...thanks again.