iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Steel braided valve stem extenders (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/steel-braided-valve-stem-extenders-140072.html)

sbranen 10-14-2012 10:36 PM

Steel braided valve stem extenders

I have a 2012 Allegro 35 qba. I have noticed that the rubber support holding the braided valve stem from the inside dully against the outside aluminum wheel is ripping away from the valve stem. It appears the valve stem is too long which causes the braided valve stem extension to flop around while driving, damaging and eventually destroying the rubber support. My neighbor also bought a 2012 class A Allegro and he is having the exact same problem. He just returned from a 2400 mile trip and found his valve stem rubber supports totally destroyed leaving the valve stem totally unsupported flopping around in the hole in the aluminum wheel. I will be calling the Tiffin Motor home company tomorrow to repot the problem.

Chaffeekid 10-15-2012 06:13 AM

Don't have a Tiffin, but had much the same problem with an extension. Didn't catch it in time, leaked tire went flat inside dual, came off the rim.

That extension cost me a new 245 70 22.5 tire, about 450.00. No more extensions, I use a dual foot gauge to air up and check the tires now.

Happy Trails
Jim

nightriderrv 10-15-2012 06:33 AM

I agree X3

luvlabs 10-15-2012 06:50 AM

I had the same problem with a broken valve stem stabilizer on my Allegro 32CA. While I was at the Escapees Rally in Sedalia, Mo last month, I ran into a vendor who happened to have the part and replaced the defective one.

You can get replacements at shinyrv.com and the part number for the Ford 22.5" (made in Taiwan) wheel is DL175F. The price is $18 per pair.

Wayne M 10-15-2012 09:09 AM

I wanted those valve stems, and I had them installed. Inside left rear leaked where the braid crimped into the valve end. That ended up costing me $1000 for two new tires.

I now use the dual truckers gauge and air chuck end.

Many have never had a problem, but some of us have.

PanJH 10-15-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaffeekid (Post 1339896)
Don't have a Tiffin, but had much the same problem with an extension. Didn't catch it in time, leaked tire went flat inside dual, came off the rim.

That extension cost me a new 245 70 22.5 tire, about 450.00. No more extensions, I use a dual foot gauge to air up and check the tires now.

Happy Trails
Jim

Yep, extensions will leak, sooner or later. I had the same thing happen and after that went with Borg valve stems . A bit pricey, but not compared to teh cost of a tire. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

rvbunz 10-15-2012 10:20 AM

I have the extenders on my 2003 Challenger. You need the bracket that is riveted to you wheel cover. I've had mine on for nine years with no problems. I can take a picture and send it to anyone who wants to see it. Can e-mail me at rfitta@ec.rr.com.

Bob
Capt. USMC (ret.) 1970-1996

awwall 10-15-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanJH (Post 1340064)
Yep, extensions will leak, sooner or later. I had the same thing happen and after that went with Borg valve stems . A bit pricey, but not compared to teh cost of a tire. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Borgs were the first thing I did after the purchase of my coach. I had an extender that was defective from the factory. Could not check air and could not get it off! For less than $200, I bought and had installed the Borgs on the coach. Best investment I think I have ever made.:)

calhyatt 10-15-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne M (Post 1340034)
I wanted those valve stems, and I had them installed. Inside left rear leaked where the braid crimped into the valve end. That ended up costing me $1000 for two new tires.

I now use the dual truckers gauge and air chuck end.

Many have never had a problem, but some of us have.

X2 Good plan..

Solask 10-15-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanJH

So these extensions are solid rather than braided?

Bigd2 10-15-2012 04:12 PM

Dually Valves :popcorn: The only way to fly........

Solask 10-15-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigd2
Dually Valves :popcorn: The only way to fly........

Yeah but, I'm a new RVer and I have these braided extenders. I'm afraid of them..Are the ones shown in the link in this thread a few posts back simply solid? Is that their advantage?

Chuck&Pam 10-15-2012 05:06 PM

I have had stainless braided extensions for 8 years with no leakage or problems at all. I am due to put new tires on next week and I am going go have the solid long valve stems installed instead.

awwall 10-15-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkh (Post 1340369)
Yeah but, I'm a new RVer and I have these braided extenders. I'm afraid of them..Are the ones shown in the link in this thread a few posts back simply solid? Is that their advantage?

Yes they are solid. My inside duel was 8" long supported by a rubber insert in the rim. The outside is a 135 degree solid. They have check-able caps so no need to uncap to check or add air.