iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Dumping Air (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dumping-air-141188.html)

Gearshift39 10-26-2012 01:59 PM

Dumping Air

I recently purchased a DP and have a question that I bet has been hashed out many times in the past. What is the general consensus regarding whether to dump the air and use the levelers when the coach is put in the garage for several weeks or just leave it aired up?

Owen
Florida
01 HR Ambassador

mmartinkus 10-26-2012 03:03 PM

put the jacks down and take the load off the tires as they tend to develop flat spots where they contact the floor over a period of time.

fortisi876 10-27-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmartinkus (Post 1351433)
put the jacks down and take the load off the tires as they tend to develop flat spots where they contact the floor over a period of time.

Safe to assume this goes for outdoor winter storage too?

mmartinkus 10-28-2012 07:53 PM

you should also cover them if the coach is outside

Pairajays 10-28-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmartinkus (Post 1351433)

I'm certainly not an expert but a very long time MH owner. I don't buy the flat spot scenario. If he owns an '01 MH the tires have been replaced at least once, probably more. That means his tires are constructed of material that will not develop flat spots. Of course this depends on your definition "a period of time". Every year my 1997 Beaver sits for about 6 months on the tires and has no flat spots. The rear tires are 4 years old. That "flat spot" stuff is old technology. Furthermore, placing a heavy load on hydraulic jacks, for long periods of time, could result in premature failure of jack seals.

Jim E

anewtoi 10-29-2012 03:40 AM

Ok, so it appears I have been screwing up. I thought I was supposed to let the air out, then let jacks out to level the coach. Only did it 2-3 times in the couple of months I've had it so I hope I haven't screwed up to bad. Gotta love this forum. So much to learn, so little time.

palehorse89 10-29-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pairajays (Post 1353930)
Furthermore, placing a heavy load on hydraulic jacks, for long periods of time, could result in premature failure of jack seals.

Jim E

What about folks that full time? Are they going to have premature jack failure due to having them down all the time?

TheArnolds 10-29-2012 05:37 AM

When you store is it inside or out? What kind of surface will it sit on? Are you going to walk away for months or are you going to visit the MH to run the engine/generator every few weeks? It is not an easy answer unless we know under what conditions you plan on storing your MH. There are other considerations beyond dumping the air bags.:thumb:

mmartinkus 10-29-2012 06:32 AM

The hydraulic jacks will be fine. "Google" "Flat spots on tires"

JimM68 10-29-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anewtoi
Ok, so it appears I have been screwing up. I thought I was supposed to let the air out, then let jacks out to level the coach. Only did it 2-3 times in the couple of months I've had it so I hope I haven't screwed up to bad. Gotta love this forum. So much to learn, so little time.

no, you've screwed nothing, that is exactly the procedure most of us use.

burfurd 10-29-2012 01:41 PM

Yes, the correct procedure is to let the air out of the suspension and then level. :thumb: My leveling system does this automatically. :dance: I only have one button to push. This really helps as I am getting old and senile! :laugh:

burfurd

tims52ford 10-29-2012 02:04 PM

I have seen motorhomes sitting on dealers lots for long periods of time, with no levelers down and resting on there tires.

mmartinkus 10-30-2012 06:34 AM

you are correct about the units sitting on dealers lots with no jacks down. It's why we know about the "flat spots"

TheArnolds 10-30-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burfurd (Post 1354444)
Yes, the correct procedure is to let the air out of the suspension and then level. :thumb: My leveling system does this automatically. :dance: I only have one button to push. This really helps as I am getting old and senile! :laugh:

burfurd

My dump is manual so when I do deploy the jacks I need to dump first however I do have the option to deploy the jacks then dump it all depends on how level the parking site is and how high I want my coach to sit after the jacks have been extended.

I have read a ton about flat spots which leads one to believe that this is a BIG problem. I agree that if let to sit for months on end you may develop a flat spot. I for one do not plan on letting my MH sit for longer than 3-4 weeks without visiting the MH, starting the engine and generator, cycle the air bags, jack and other systems. I also plan on moving the MH forward or back a foot or two to ward off the dreaded "flat spot". :eek:

I have a lot of money invested in my MH so I canít just walk away for the winter and expect all to be good in the spring. A watchful eye and a little preventative maintenance go a long way to keep these complex pieces of machinery working properly. :thumb: