iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Consequences of Dead, DEAD batteries? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/consequences-of-dead-dead-batteries-144097.html)

MarkofSJC 11-27-2012 12:17 PM

Consequences of Dead, DEAD batteries?

Need your collective insight.

We're looking at a Country Coach that was in excellent shape, but on the dealers' lot (for the brief time it was there), they allowed both the chassis and house batteries to go completely dead. Apparently couldn't even get a "click" out of it and had to charge them for a long time to get enought to start engine or generator.

It's a 2008 coach, but just standard batteries (not AGM), and they insist that the battery's health/cranking power wouldn't have been affected...but I'm suspicious.

Also, there seems to be a few gremlins as a result of it (blinking ATC light) they their tech said could be fixed with a "reboot".

In this scenario...what would you advise? We're newbies to this.

Mark

jamesgr81 11-27-2012 12:25 PM

Yep

By all means insist on new batteries. Even the deep cycle batteries suffer from allowing them to be discharged to zero for long periods.

If "new batteries" is a deal breaker I would walk away...

vsheetz 11-27-2012 12:38 PM

If otherwise a good coach, I would not get hung up on whether the dealer will or will not replace them. If the dealer will not replace the batteries, just factor their value into your price negotiation. Then replace yourself now or at some future date as needed. I would rather replace myself with the quality and brand of my choosing anyway.

BFlinn181 11-27-2012 12:39 PM

I'd require price reduction to cover cost of new batteries. If you let them put in new batteries, they could go for the cheapest, weakest batteries and you'd hardly be better off than you started. If they insist on replacement, write down size and rating of the 'dead' batteries in coach and require comparable replacements.

dennis45 11-27-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesgr81 (Post 1383119)
By all means insist on new batteries. Even the deep cycle batteries suffer from allowing them to be discharged to zero for long periods.

X2, I would insist on new batteries.

Mr_D 11-27-2012 12:49 PM

I think new batteries are in order although I got 9 years and 11 months out of our OEM Interstate U-2200's and I regularly took them down pretty low, like 11.0 volts.

Check the cases, they may be bulging, if so they need replacing.

Bigd9 11-27-2012 01:17 PM

I agree with BFlinn181

caissiel 11-27-2012 01:31 PM

Every used vehicle I ever bought I replaced the batteries. Its much better to have good new ones then cheap replacement dealers install.
To me good batteries are the requirements for good performance plus you own the replacement warranty
And there is no room in my purchase price for more frills.

rvrepairnut 11-27-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSJC (Post 1383115)
Need your collective insight.

We're looking at a Country Coach that was in excellent shape, but on the dealers' lot (for the brief time it was there), they allowed both the chassis and house batteries to go completely dead. Apparently couldn't even get a "click" out of it and had to charge them for a long time to get enought to start engine or generator.

It's a 2008 coach, but just standard batteries (not AGM), and they insist that the battery's health/cranking power wouldn't have been affected...but I'm suspicious.

Also, there seems to be a few gremlins as a result of it (blinking ATC light) they their tech said could be fixed with a "reboot".

In this scenario...what would you advise? We're newbies to this.

Mark

depends on how old they are,how many times they have been run this low etc.If there 2008 more than likely there not in perfect condition although to try and answer your question it should not have hurt the batterys just because u ran them that dead.in other words they should charge up 100%

lonestarace 11-27-2012 01:44 PM

RV Dealers, if their lips are moving, they are lying, and not just about the batteries.:eek:

If its a $100k coach, budget at least 20% initially to bring it up to speed, because no matter what lie(s) they tell you, they've done the absolute minimum to get the thing off the lot.:facepalm:

Don't let "them" pick the batteries because they'll install the cheapest. You should specify, how many, and the make and model of the batteries.

Good Luck

rvrepairnut 11-27-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesgr81 (Post 1383119)

really? thats a rash statement when U dont even know what the deal is or
condition of MH or current ask? Maybe the dealer is already way way below market value? Maybe the OP is getting such a good dea;l he should just simply buy the unit and worry about new batterys on his own

rvrepairnut 11-27-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestarace (Post 1383167)
RV Dealers, if their lips are moving, they are lying, and not just about the batteries.:eek:

If its a $100k coach, budget at least 20% initially to bring it up to speed, because no matter what lie(s) they tell you, they've done the absolute minimum to get the thing off the lot.:facepalm:

Don't let "them" pick the batteries because they'll install the cheapest. You should specify, how many, and the make and model of the batteries.

Good Luck

Iam a Rv dealer and I take personal resentment to your [moderator edit] comment
SIR!!!

Tony Lee 11-27-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvrepairnut (Post 1383177)
Iam a Rv dealer and I take personal resentment to your [moderator edit] comment
SIR!!!

Quote:

although to try and answer your question it should not have hurt the batterys just because u ran them that dead.in other words they should charge up 100%
Quote:

and they insist that the battery's health/cranking power wouldn't have been affected...
Sounds like they went to the same RV Dealers' school

NITEHAWK 11-27-2012 02:24 PM

Lawyers resent remarks comparing themto the shark family, ambulance chasers, shysters, etc.
Unfortunately the really good lawyers--AND the really good RV dealers and mechanics---end up getting lumped with the bad ones.
RVRepairnut, it sounds like you are one of the really good ones and were hurt by being lumped with the bad ones. Chin up!! Keep your statements positive and, if possible, tell detractors of your satisfied customers.

Remember, bad news and comments travel at light speed while, unfortunately, good news and comments travel at a snail's pace.