iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Where is the Hadley Horn solenoid? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/where-is-the-hadley-horn-solenoid-146322.html)

jlshand 12-23-2012 01:45 PM

Where is the Hadley Horn solenoid?

My coach is a 2001 dynasty. Is the horn solenoid in the drivers compartment somewhere by the wheel ,under the dash (that is , someplace inside the coach). Outside in the front run compartment? The horn relay and fuse are there. Somewhere above the genset when it is extended?

Thanks

patmsp 12-23-2012 02:34 PM

I have a 2000 Dynasty. If I slide out the Generator and look up, there is a yellow plastic line that goes into the solenoid...I don't know if this is what you may be looking for, but the hose line fell out a month ago and the horn stopped working until I put it back in and tightened up the holding nut again.

jlshand 12-23-2012 04:43 PM

Solenoid

Thanks for responding Pat. I'll take a look again in daylight but I was looking in that area earlier today and that doesn't sound familiar. I do remember seeing a couple of gizMos that said air pressure on them but nothing like you describe. Lots of wires that looked firmly connected. It's amazing how no two of these rigs are exactly alike.

patmsp 12-24-2012 06:54 AM

Another indication that my hose was loose was that I could hear the air escaping when my wife pushed on the horn button. I had her do it when I was sticking my head underneath the hood. I would send a picture, but we are visiting family right now. Also, the air line was about 1/4 inch OD.

Hope this helps.

Pat

K7JV 12-26-2012 09:46 PM

On our '06, it is mounted on the passenger side of the front firewall, just above the drain valves for the wet and dry air tanks. It is accessible by running the generator slide out, and is easy to see and reach, once we have done so. It will have an air line coming to it, and one or two out for the one or two horns, as well as a pair of wires to energize the solenoid.

Arch Hoagland 12-27-2012 12:26 AM

I don't know where yours is located but for a bit of information I'll put my two cents worth in.

I repaired my Hadley solenoid a couple times by tearing it apart and cleaning the gray gunk out of it.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new solenoid three years ago and haven't had a problem since.

I do exercise it now every trip we take when I'm out where it won't bother anybody.

jlshand 12-27-2012 03:14 PM

Horn

Pat ,

Hope you had a good Xmas. Its been too cold here to play detective. If you get the chance I would appreciate the picture you suggested.

Thanks for the other responses. I suspect the 2006 model is too new to have the solenoid in the same place but will take a look.

Arch, thanks , if I understand right you were able to clean out the horns themselves and that worked for a couple of years till you finally had to change the solenoid itself. Is that right?

Thanks

Arch Hoagland 12-28-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlshand (Post 1411778)
Pat ,

Hope you had a good Xmas. Its been too cold here to play detective. If you get the chance I would appreciate the picture you suggested.

Thanks for the other responses. I suspect the 2006 model is too new to have the solenoid in the same place but will take a look.

Arch, thanks , if I understand right you were able to clean out the horns themselves and that worked for a couple of years till you finally had to change the solenoid itself. Is that right?

Thanks

No, that is not right.

I disassembled the solenoid itself. There is a plunger inside it that gets gummed up and won't move correctly.
I disassembled and cleaned it twice and it would work for a couple months and then gum up again.
Never touched the horns on the roof.