iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Newbies to the forum and RVing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/newbies-to-the-forum-and-rving-146477.html)

Ngulf 12-25-2012 04:47 PM

Newbies to the forum and RVing

We are Sophia and Nick Nicholson from Gulf Breeze, Florida. We are transitioning from on water cruising (3 yrs fulltime) to the motor home life. (I'm too tired and too old to crawl around in vessel engine rooms any longer.) I am excited that our fuel consumption will go from one gallon per nautical mile to 6-9 miles per gallon.We are now shopping for the motor home which will best serve our needs, budget and anticipated life style. Now vacilating between used DPs and new or very late model gasoline powered units. In vessels diesel is the best way to go, but I'm still unsure about RVing. So far all I have been told is that DPs ride more securely. Any input will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

CLIFFTALL 12-25-2012 04:51 PM

Welcome to IRV 2. We're glad you're here. Your comment on fuel mileage brought back memories as I had boats all my life till I started Motor Homing.

Cliff

Colorado Kay 12-25-2012 04:56 PM

We have both, 37' gas PA and 40' diesel Winnie... DH drives the gas, and I drive the DP... of course, the gas MH has been cleaned and detailed, parked in storage for an upcoming sale this spring and when we go out - the DP is the coach of choice. It rides so much better, we can hear each other while driving, and just a much smoother ride all the way around. I personally will not drive the gas MH, don't like it one bit AFTER testing driving the very first diesel. Each to their own, but personally DH and I both agree the DP is the way to go and be much more comfortable. Good luck with your selection, RVing is way too fun, and so much to see and do.

stink 12-25-2012 04:57 PM

Having driven both, there is no comparison. The DP will ride like a yaht wile the gasser will ride like a cabin cruiser. I'm sure many will disagree but my wife is disabled with a back fracture and riding like a sofa on wheels is important for pain relief.

Sutler 12-25-2012 05:03 PM

Hello from GreenValley,AZ .Welcome to the forum.

Colorado Kay 12-25-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stink (Post 1409997)
Having driven both, there is no comparison. The DP will ride like a yaht wile the gasser will ride like a cabin cruiser. I'm sure many will disagree but my wife is disabled with a back fracture and riding like a sofa on wheels is important for pain relief.

DH has back trouble as well, and he told me it's so much better riding in the DP. Anything to relive the pain is worth the extra cost in my humble opinion.

MSHappyCampers 12-26-2012 11:48 AM

Hi Sophia & Nick! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you have you ex-sailors join the bunch here! I know you will love the RV lifestyle! I would definitely recommend a DP in a motorhome. We just went to a Class A DP earlier this year after pulling a 5er the last 10 years. We chose to go with an older DP rather than a later model gasser, and we are so thankful that we made that decision! You can barely hear the engine running from the cockpit, and the ride is unbelievable! I would suggest that you thoroughly research the coach you are interested in before making a purchase. You could find problems in a particular model that might be VERY expensive to correct, if they can be corrected at all! :eek: Good luck on finding just the right rig for your needs!
Wishing you a late Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year! Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

sdennislee 12-26-2012 12:14 PM

Hi and :welcome:

C&SL 12-26-2012 07:28 PM

Welcome :greetings10:

Gadget63 12-26-2012 08:09 PM

Howdy and welcome to the forums!

Wire Wrat 12-26-2012 08:16 PM

Welcome to the forum. If you are interested in a used unit, I will suggest going east to Mary Esther. See Ken Pike at Open Road R.V. He will advise you of what you can have as options. Also he will not hound you into a sale. Good luck and safe travels. Happy New Year.

Sutler 12-26-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutler (Post 1410002)
Hello from GreenValley,AZ .Welcome to the forum.

We do agree wife loves our DP she wouldnt trade it for the world ,But she also says thats why they make 31 flavors,to each there own .

DBDTIMES2 12-28-2012 01:09 PM

Welcome to the fun part...research and test driving. We just purchased our first MH....did alot of online research, walked alot of coaches, purchased our 40ft DP. We are new to all this also!!

Best of luck!!!