iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Gray water to flush toilet ? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gray-water-to-flush-toilet-147581.html)

Bug512 01-07-2013 05:35 PM

From some of the replies above.
Since we camp at festivals finding freshwater or a place to dump onsite is a little scarce sometimes. Almost the same goes for state parks where electric only sites are the norm out there.

I have found quick connect fittings (self sealing) in the McMasterCarr catalog, I am going to investigate some different pumps. Maybe I do not need a demand pump, maybe just a momentary switch in the bathroom closet?? One plan was to draw off on the 3" gray water dump valve with a cap that has the garden hose thread on it.

No interest in collecting rain water and I do not have two separate gray water tanks.

Again thanks for all the ideas and comments. If I do go through with this I will keep this thread posted.

bluepill 01-07-2013 05:44 PM

I have used the low-tech version of this a few times. I drain the gray water into a pail at the normal drain (being careful to open the valve only slightly), then carry the pail into the toilet and dump it. Ten trips give me about 30 gallons of transfer, and gives me something to do while DW "puts on her face" in the AM. :)

TQ60 01-07-2013 05:48 PM

using the cover makes for easy connection, you could get various filters to keep stuff from pump.

At toilet you need to get clever, some check valves for safety and a three way valve would allow switching sources, pump has built in pressure switch.

Can be set up all electric, interesting project

Barlow46 01-07-2013 05:51 PM

I would consider using a "raw water" wash down pump w/pressure shutoff sensor from the marine world and just run a line with a shutoff valve into an area beside or behind the toilet. Then hookup a typical hand held faucet "sprayer" to fill the toilet bowl before flushing. This would allow you to clean out the raw water wash down pump screen should grey water particles try to clog it. Sounds like a great idea to me and if you can keep it simple it could be sold as a kit. The boating world has some great fittings for what you want to do.

MRBB 01-08-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TdogKing (Post 1423251)
We don't and never have put grease down our kitchen sink . .

Well, every time you "wash" your dishes you put grease down the drain... If you have ever smelled a grease trap they smell worse than any septic tank.

Bug512 01-08-2013 12:48 PM

We have and maintain our grease traps at our training facility, not fun or pleasant smelling.
The difference is grease traps separate the grease and the water. A gray water tank has both the water and grease combined with the grease being suspended in the water from surfactants that are in our soaps and detergents.

I doubt the water that I use in the toilet will have that much of a negative impact vs. all the other impurities going into the toilet.

So is anyone else looking to do this?

TdogKing 01-08-2013 12:56 PM

@ MRBB....we hardly cook anything in grease and if if makes its own such as Hamburger then the pan is wiped clean with a paper towel then washed . We don't put any grease down our drains. I've owned/ camped in RV's over 30+ years and never has grease smell been a issue and if it might be I empty the trash and all traces are gone. Understand everyone cooks and camps different but that's our way.

MRBB 01-09-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TdogKing (Post 1424293)
@ MRBB....we hardly cook anything in grease and if if makes its own such as Hamburger then the pan is wiped clean with a paper towel then washed . We don't put any grease down our drains. I've owned/ camped in RV's over 30+ years and never has grease smell been a issue and if it might be I empty the trash and all traces are gone. Understand everyone cooks and camps different but that's our way.

It's a great idea and if you can get it to work for you then more power to you. I have 2 grey tanks so taking water from the shower and bath sink is fairly clean so it would work well for me. :thumb: