iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 02-09-2013 05:13 AM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

We just traded in our Damon Outlaw for a new 2013 Thor Challenger with a DT floor plan. Although I'll miss having a garage for the bike, a screen room and party deck, having a new coach with a floor plan we both appreciate, a higher end build and more room should make it all worth it.

We live in Jersey and it's winter! When we picked it up last Saturday it was pretty cold. We drove it home and started working on setting it up a bit before we put it up for the remainder of the winter.

The first thing I found was that the heat coming through the register in the john was WAY to hot compared to the rest of the floor registers. As high end as these are, this was where they saved a bit of cash, there are no balancing slats in the registers to choke off the air flow.

I went to Home Depot and bought 5 really nice 2" x 12" registers with balancers. This was the smallest type they sell so with the help of a multi-tool I was able to lengthen the floor opening enough for them to fit the improved registers. It took me about ten minutes to measure and cut each one. Now I'm able to control the flow of hot air and they fit the look of the coach much better as well as being just beautiful.

The other thing I had to do was to winterize it as I wanted it domo'd wet rather than winterized. I needed to check this thing out top to bottom including the operation of the water system. They were a little surprised when the saw me break out my fold-able mechanics creeper and disappear under the thing with a flashlight in had only to pop out from under it in a different spot and shoot back under it to look at another location. But I wanted to be through!

Once I got it home I had to winterize it which is exactly what I wanted to do. I had never done it on a coach with an ice maker and a washing machine. These two items take a little more knowledge to be able to do it right. I finished dumping the water and filling the system with antifreeze right up to and including the washing machine. The last item was the ice maker. This is a little involved in that you have to over ride the water solenoid to get water flowing without simply asking the freezer to demand ice. Since it was so cold, these small lines had in fact frozen including the shut off valve located in the outside compartment. A hair dryer did the trick and after making up the 120 VAC bypass plug I was flowing antifreeze into the ice tray! Mission accomplished.

The one thing I found which was also a help to another Challenger already was that the water heater and bypass as well as the inverter are located under the master bed and covered with panels that require that you remove a bunch of screws to gain access to them. This is an issue mostly with the inverter because I've tripped the circut breaker on an inverter and had to reset it. This one would be a PITA to get to and reset. Once I look at it I'll see if I can make a remote reset that can be accessed from the outside.

So, my hope is that as with the "I Love my Damon Outlaw" thread I started, this might be a place for us Challenger owners to come to to talk about things specific to our coach. Too many threads are started to complain about issues with their coach. This one I would hope will be a place you can go and get real time answers specific to our Challengers.

I bought mine from Camping World in Lakewood, NJ. I have had great experiences with them and their service department and expect no less with this new coach!

Congratulations to us all that have moved into our Thor Challenger Motor Coach!

go6car 02-09-2013 07:05 AM

Congratulations!!!!! Definitely post some pictures. I really like that floorplan!

(Come on, SPRING!!!!!) :)

DGShaffer 02-09-2013 07:13 AM

Thanks neighbor! I haven't gotten a chance to take photos yet but once this white crap disappears I'll shoot photos of the floor cutouts and registers I installed. I'm also planning on making a XM holder with power for my Roady 2 in the outside entertainment center. If I come up with a clever way to reset the breaker on the inverter without removing the cover I'll be posting that up as well.

Did you get much snow where you are? I ended up with only about 3" maybe 4.

go6car 02-09-2013 08:30 AM

Same here about 3"-4". Thank goodness it wasn't worse! Our rig is stored outside, so I'm hoping it melts soon, too!

Looking forward to reading about your mods! Really like the Challengers!

DGShaffer 02-09-2013 01:56 PM

Mine too. I stopped by to put tennis balls under the wipers so the snow wouldn't settle on the arms and put all that weight on them. Good thing because when I got there they were already holding up a lot of snow and there was more ready to slide off the front cap.

Redridge 02-09-2013 09:50 PM

congrats on the new coach... just ordered a Palazzo from CW in Lakewood today. Coming from NNJ... we have 18". im so done with winter.

TxSkye 02-10-2013 02:40 AM

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

Jim Estes 02-10-2013 04:32 AM

Congrats! Your skills will serve you well...Camping World in Statesville NC has gone above and beyond for us...bent over backwards! Here is a question...maybe a dumb one...did you use compressed air to blow water out of all your lines...then pour antifreeze in the Ptraps? I have never done it before...but I think I will give it a shot next winter...the ice maker sounds tricky!

DGShaffer 02-10-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redridge (Post 1458549)
congrats on the new coach... just ordered a Palazzo from CW in Lakewood today. Coming from NNJ... we have 18". im so done with winter.

Wow! That's a lot of snow to move around. My wife is from the Lake Tamarack area and I'm from Upstate NY so we're both used to snow. I'm pretty happy when we don't get it now.

I'm sure you're going to have a great experience with the people at Lakewood. I found a great checklist on line for picking up a new coach. It was so detailed that we sent the tech who was walking us through it away so we could go through it one line at a time. When we left we had a good size list for them of things we wanted done. I got the idea of bringing my creeper down on the walk through from that check list.

DGShaffer 02-10-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxSkye (Post 1458628)
Congrats! Hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

Thank you!

DGShaffer 02-10-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Estes (Post 1458641)
Congrats! Your skills will serve you well...Camping World in Statesville NC has gone above and beyond for us...bent over backwards! Here is a question...maybe a dumb one...did you use compressed air to blow water out of all your lines...then pour antifreeze in the Ptraps? I have never done it before...but I think I will give it a shot next winter...the ice maker sounds tricky!

In my Outlaw I did because I read that you could get away with only doing that. I was nervous that I didn't get all the air out. Now I just drain it using the low point valves and start flusing from there so that all the valve seats see antifreeze. The washer dryer combo took almost a gallon. In total I put in 4 gallons of AF.

The ice maker was pretty simple but you have to be able to crimp on female spade connectors to a electric cord. With that you can energize the solenoid to get it to flow AF without having to turn the freezer on.

The dealerships can't tell you how to do it because of a liability issue. Why they don't include a bypass for winterizing is beyond me. I can assume that with that one item, they can get you in and charge you for a winterizing, oh, while you're here, we can go over all of the seals, and how about an oil change?

Thank you all for the congrats on the new rig. We're pretty excited. Buying this time of year in the North East kind of sucks since we get to wait for warmer weather with only the occasional drive by the storage yard to wave to it.

Lissaje 02-10-2013 04:21 PM

We recently traded in our small (27ft) gulfstream for a 2008 Damon Challenger, 36ft. Well we just love it. It may not be new but it was gently used and with 3 slides, the space is just unbelievable.
Happy to see this topic on the forum.

Lissa & Larry
2008 Damon Challenger
2006 Scion Xa
Fulltiming & Loving It

DGShaffer 02-11-2013 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redridge (Post 1458549)

Here is a copy of the PDI inspection checklist that I found online and modified for my Challenger. There is absolutely no substitute for a line by line checklist when buying something as complex and expensive as a motor home. You'll also find things on the drive home at which time you adjust your punch list

If you find this useful I can email you an Excel version to modify

AKJohn 02-11-2013 06:50 AM

Thanks for your post with the checklist, it's very timely. I'm on going to sign the purchase agreement this morning on a new 2012 Challenger 36FD. This will me our first motor home (previously owned a 5er). We will use the MH as our snowbird home here in the lower 48.

Redridge 02-11-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1459840)
Here is a copy of the PDI inspection checklist that I found online and modified for my Challenger. There is absolutely no substitute for a line by line checklist when buying something as complex and expensive as a motor home. You'll also find things on the drive home at which time you adjust your punch list

If you find this useful I can email you an Excel version to modify

Thank You for that... it will be priceless when we do our PDI.

RedWing Nut 02-11-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lissaje (Post 1459336)
We recently traded in our small (27ft) gulfstream for a 2008 Damon Challenger, 36ft. Well we just love it. It may not be new but it was gently used and with 3 slides, the space is just unbelievable.
Happy to see this topic on the forum.

Lissa & Larry
2008 Damon Challenger
2006 Scion Xa
Fulltiming & Loving It

:welcome:

Hope you enjoy your stay. :D

DGShaffer 02-11-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redridge (Post 1459925)
Thank You for that... it will be priceless when we do our PDI.

Good luck today! Have a fun ride home in your new rig :dance:

opcop 02-12-2013 02:12 PM

This is just the thread I've been looking for, nothing but Challenger. We love our 37DT. DGShaffer, you are right about the heater vents. The way I tackled this problem was, I bought some 1/2" foam insulation board, cut them to fit inside the register, used silver reflective heat tape to cover the foam inserts, then punched some small holes (just enough) to regulate the bathroom and the bedroom. Seems to work just fine, but your solution probably looks nicer.

DGShaffer 02-12-2013 02:29 PM

I thought you were being funny as I read it to say that you "purchased" some holes :D.

Not only are the brown ones rather ugly for a coach like ours but they bend inward as you walk over them which makes them look even worse over time.

The duct under the floor seems to be around 14" wide so there's plenty of room to open them up. Your solution works and was similar to my first attempt to shut the heat off in the bathroom until I decided I had too much money in my pocket when I was at HD :rolleyes:

DGShaffer 02-13-2013 04:37 PM

I'm looking at making up a set of sliding trays for the basement storage compartments. I've found a couple of great DIY pages on the internet and links to the different slides offered.

I'm curious if anyone has done this yet. If not I'll be sure to post up once I come up with a design for the brackets

DGShaffer 02-14-2013 06:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So.... Now that I don't have an Outlaw with a garage any longer, I had to pickup an enclosed trailer for the bike. It needs a place to hang jackets, helmets, and gear. I made four coat racks and these 2 supply shelves. I'll post photos of them mounted this weekend

camaromance 02-16-2013 08:38 AM

Dg, thanks for starting the Challenger thread. I'm looking forward to all the pictures of mods and DIY upgrades. We are just south of you in Maryland. No snow here and we haven't seen any to speak of since that 09/10 blizzard. Must have got it all at once so I guess we're good for a few years. I can't wait for spring to show up. Can you recommend any good CG's in Jersey. I need to get that sticker on my map.

DGShaffer 02-16-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1465270)
Dg, thanks for starting the Challenger thread. I'm looking forward to all the pictures of mods and DIY upgrades. We are just south of you in Maryland. No snow here and we haven't seen any to speak of since that 09/10 blizzard. Must have got it all at once so I guess we're good for a few years. I can't wait for spring to show up. Can you recommend any good CG's in Jersey. I need to get that sticker on my map.

There aren't a lot of nice campgrounds in Jersey. I prefer state parks but I have a dog and they aren't allowed in NJ state parks so I cross over into PA where there's a bunch of fantastic places to stay.

However, there's a county park in south Jersey called Turkey Swamp in Freehold that is our weekend get away. The layout is great and every site has privacy. A nice lake for swimming and fishing and an abundant amount of hiking trails to keep you outside. I highly recommend this one if you want a place to stay.

DGShaffer 02-16-2013 02:38 PM

9 Attachment(s)
We spent the day personalizing the interior and loading the cargo bays with all the stuff we find a necessity. I've included a few shots of the floor registers I installed. If anyone wants to know how it was done I can detail the tools and process of the installation.

Coming over from a toy hauler I'm really enjoying the added room and comfort afforded us by the switch to a conventional motor home.

Redridge 02-16-2013 05:56 PM

Looks very comfy, enjoy!

camaromance 02-16-2013 09:45 PM

Nice job on the floor vents. Your coach looks awesome. Looks like home. The DT was our 2nd choice. I really liked the wrap around seating area but, the KT is the only one with the king bed. Being 6'5, it's nice to have a bed I can fit in. I spent over 20 years in the Navy on submarines so I really appreciate having the room to stretch out.

DGShaffer 02-17-2013 03:11 PM

I use a Rhino Flex sewer hose. This new brain fart of a dump bay pipe extension is just killing me. What the hell were they thinking by adding this section of tube out of the bottom? My Rhino Flex doesn't fit through it so I'll be forced to leave the door open when at a full hookup site unless I think of a creative solution to eliminate it.

Has any one here come up with an elegant solution for this issue?

It looks like it has to go back through the inside of the bay to remove it so that means it'll have to be cut into pieces. This is just dumb!

john109 02-17-2013 04:16 PM

DG I have a 37 DT also and what I did on mine was I puchased a Camco Revolution Swivel RV Sewer Hose Extension - 10' from RV Upgrades the end couplings can be taken off and you can slide the hose through the extension pipe. Once you have the hose into the bay you can reattach the coupling. I keep the hose inside the the extension pipe all the time and just slide it out when I set up. Good luck.

DGShaffer 02-17-2013 04:50 PM

How long is the sewer pipe you have? Mine is 15' with a coupling at 10' since a lot of the places I camp I need the extra length. There's no way it would fit in there but I'll look at that option tomorrow since the ends on the Rhino flex are removable.

If not, I bought a toilet flange from HD because that's what they used to connect the piping to the dump bay. There's was the type with a rotable 90 degree elbow and mine is just the flange but the hole patterns are the same. I'll press a couple of threaded studs into it and make a swing away plate to keep it covered when not in use.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be looking at this a little closer tomorrow.

john109 02-17-2013 05:26 PM

My sewer pipe is 4 or 5' long with a threaded cap on the end. I have a 2012 Challenger. If yours is 15' it must run to the rear bumper if not past it. But if the end of your rhino flex is removable you should be able to remove the coupling and slide it through the sewer pipe and then reattach the coupling. Although it would be a pain to connect and disconnect at campground. Perhaps you can find a 20 foot hose with the ends that are removable and slide it into the sewer pipe and leave it in there permenantly. Then when you get to camp ground you can connect the rhino flex to the hose in the sewer pipe. I can post pic tomorrow if you want let me know. John

DGShaffer 02-18-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1466900)
My sewer pipe is 4 or 5' long with a threaded cap on the end. I have a 2012 Challenger. If yours is 15' it must run to the rear bumper if not past it

I was talking about the Rhino Flex, not the length of the pipe fixed to the MH. :D

It was so unbelievably cold and windy the last couple of days up here that I couldn't bear to do anything outside. Next time I decide to mess with it I'll see if your suggestions work. In the mean time I'll push foreword with the fabrication of a blank off plate for the ring I bought. Hopefully I'll find that your way works best and I'll just toss the ring or offer it up for free here.

This new poop tube storage is just a new idea I need to embrace :dance:

john109 02-18-2013 04:51 PM

no problem I actually live north of you up on Cape Cod and we have had enough winter also. We are ready for warm weather and hitting the road BTW were did you find that table you have in front of the fireplace I like the look of it.

DGShaffer 02-18-2013 05:34 PM

It looks like your area has been getting buried by snow these past few systems, hopefully it wasn't as bad as it looked.

We're heading your way for the 4th. I've always enjoyed Boston on the 4th of July. That gives me a reason to take a ride up Mt. Washington as well. My wife actually mentioned a day trip out onto the Cape with stops in Plymouth and Salem. We'll be staying at the Field and Stream CG which is about 70 miles West of Boston.

That table was bought at CW but RV Upgrades had it in a darker Cherry color although for a lot more money. We paid $79 for it. As you see it, only one side is up so it gets a bit longer with both sides up

camaromance 02-18-2013 07:52 PM

It took me awhile to get used the sewer pipe, too. I have a clear 90 at the valve connection and had to thread the sewer hose from the end of the pipe up through to the connection. Most female hose ends should fit up and through. I have a 10' section and it stows in the pipe. I just wish I could put a cap on the end of the hose before the cap goes on the pipe. There just isn't enough room to do that with the hose stowed in the pipe. I also carry an extra 30' of hose just in case. Learned that one the hard way.

john109 02-19-2013 03:29 AM

DG Thanks for the info on the table I will check it out. Our favorite local place is Normandy Farms its in Foxboro about 30 mins. to boston and 45 mins to Cape Cod. It is really nice place to stay we are going to Salem for Memorial Day weekend. As far as stowing the hose I will take some pictures tonite when I get home but I can screw my cap back on and stow the short hose. I also carry a 30' extension hose that we us at the camp ground.

DGShaffer 02-19-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1468639)
I also carry a 30' extension hose that we us at the camp ground.

Don't forget the hose expander and the Y coupling "cuz they wouldn't sell'em if they didn't work!" (from the movie RV)

I have a feeling that this system wasn't made for my Rhino Flex pipe. The couplings are too big and there's a clear 90 degree elbow at the discharge end that I appreciate.

I'll post a photo of my solution in case others are looking to dump the dump tube as well.

DGShaffer 02-19-2013 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll post photos of this installed if I can't find a way to store my sewer hose in the attached pipe on my 37DT.

john109 02-19-2013 03:04 PM

DG I took some pictures but I am not sure how to upload to this site if you PM your email address I will forward them to you

john109 02-19-2013 03:45 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...mbs/sewer1.JPG

john109 02-19-2013 03:46 PM

https://www.irv2.com/timthumb.php?src....JPG&h=90&w=90

john109 02-19-2013 03:47 PM

https://www.irv2.com/timthumb.php?src....JPG&h=90&w=90

john109 02-19-2013 03:51 PM

Hopefully the pictures work I did not need the 90 I went direct with the hose. I used several times last fall with no issues.

john109 02-19-2013 04:02 PM

DG I do like the design you came up with it is a much cleaner look I was not a big fan of that elbow and pipe hanging under there anyway. As I said the way I have it works fine but I like the cleaner look with no pipe. Nice project when it warms up.

DGShaffer 02-19-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1469314)
DG I do like the design you came up with it is a much cleaner look I was not a big fan of that elbow and pipe hanging under there anyway. As I said the way I have it works fine but I like the cleaner look with no pipe. Nice project when it warms up.

I'm making a few plates so if it works out and you want to try it, I'll make one up for you.

Regarding your campground suggestion, can you recommend a good site?

john109 02-19-2013 05:49 PM

it depends do you have dogs or kids or is it just you and the wife? the reason I ask is we have dogs and like spot 1001 its way in the back and near the dog park which is very nice. if you still have kids you may want to be up on B3,B4,or B5 which are closer to the pools and play grounds and it backs up to a big field. There is a lot to do within 5 miles outlet malls and Patriots Place which is lots of stores restraunts and where the Patriots play. (Although being from Jersey that may not excite you too much). You may want to leave your "Jets" gear at home unless you enjoy a good razzing. Just kidding. Make sure you get reservations in soon they fill up quick its very clean, quiet and give the Good Sams discount. Let me know when you are going maybe we will try to get up there too and have a beer and lobsta. By the way if you have an extra plate for the sewer pipe I am in let me know what I owe you.

DGShaffer 02-19-2013 07:08 PM

We looked into the place after my post to you and we trailer our sport touring bike wherever we go and they don't allow motorcycles of any kind. Unless you know different, we'd have to pass on that one.

I'll iron out the design and once it's verified I shoot you one. I don't charge for stuff like that or I get involved with making things to order and I'd rather just give stuff like that out to people like myself. Less stressful!

john109 02-20-2013 03:26 AM

I will call and ask regarding motorcycles. I will let you know. That would be great if you can forward a poop pipe cover. I will be in touch

DGShaffer 02-20-2013 07:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My prototype is ready to install. If I cant get the current tube setup to work with my Rhino Flex I'll be pulling it out and replacing it with this! The ring is from HD and made of stainless steel, the plate is aluminum. I can have it cut out of stainless if if starts to show signs of corrosion.

john109 02-20-2013 07:15 PM

Great idea looks like a standard toilet flange with a cap simple & clean. But what is the flange material? I wonder if it would be better to go with plastic flange and cover to avoid galvanic issues. Either way I think it's the way to go get rid of the pipe and clean up the under carriage and you have a nice big opening to slide the hose in and out. Wish I thought of it.
I did call Normandy today and they said motorcycles are not allowed in the park itself. But they do have a parking area up by the office for motorcycles I asked if it is a secured area and the women said there is a camera there. So I guess its up to you it is a very nice park but if you don't feel comfortable leaving your bike there then go with original plans.

DGShaffer 02-21-2013 03:43 AM

That's exactly what it is. I was just looking for something compatible and then noticed a familiar pattern, the T-slots, then I knew what they used. This meant that the mounting hole patterns would match making the install just too easy. This one is made of Stainless steel, I couldn't find a plastic one without the rotable fitting already attached. I made the cover plate out of aluminum so you're right, road salt will induce a galvanic reaction. You're either an engineer or you live by the ocean! I'll most likely be installing this thing since I really don't think there's any way I'll get the fittings on my Rhino Flex system to fit and I'm kind of attached to it over the years. I'll post photos of it and if you want one let me know. I'll pick up another flange and press the stainless studs into it for you as well since that's pretty easy for me to do at my shop.

One of the reviews I read talked about having to walk out to the lot each time to get their bike. Not a big deal but we ride a spotr touring mike and we would be dressed in full riding gear not tee shirts and flip flops. I'm also looking foreword to another trip up Mt. Washington so the Field and Stream CG is only a 320 mile round trip.

john109 02-21-2013 03:12 PM

I will PM you. Great mod :D

DGShaffer 02-21-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1471660)

I replied to the PM before I saw this. I now know what you were talking about. I got you covered!

DGShaffer 02-28-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1471660)

It's out for UPS John.

I have one more if anyone was thinking about ditching the hanging sewer pipe hose housing.

Whatnobeer 02-28-2013 12:21 PM

Hi Don. I was thinking about your Circuit Breaker issue. I know this might not be the external idea you have in mind, but what about putting a small trap door with a flat ring type latch that will mount flush above the CB you'll need to get to in an emergency. Just an idea. :D

DGShaffer 02-28-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatnobeer (Post 1479826)
Hi Don. I was thinking about your Circuit Breaker issue. I know this might not be the external idea you have in mind, but what about putting a small trap door with a flat ring type latch that will mount flush above the CB you'll need to get to in an emergency. Just an idea. :D

You might be on to something! It would need to be WAY more elegant than anything I'm capable of. I'm a metal guy, everytime I pick up a piece of wood I get a splinter! ;)

john109 02-28-2013 05:44 PM

Don I got an e-mail from UPS Thank You very much for doing this I really appreciate it. I ordered that table we talked about from Campers World and it came in it looks great. Also I just finished up a pullout tray for a storage bay I ordered full extension draw slides from Amazon and made my tray with 3/4 plywood. I will post pics in the next few days I mounted a tool box to it and it's nice to be able to pull it out for access. My other mod was a central vac system in the forward right bay. I found it works best right there there is a 110 ac line running through there that goes up to the GFCI outlet in the cabinet. I tied into that line and put an outlet in the bay ran the hose up through the floor into the cabinet area and had the hose attachment on the side of the cabinet. It works really well and you can hardly hear it down in the bay. Thanks again for the "crapper flapper" talk to you soon.
John

DGShaffer 02-28-2013 06:53 PM

I'm very interested in seeing photos of how you mounted the slides to the side walls. Also if you can tell us the model number of the slides you bought. Are they locking slides?

I'd hope to make there for most of the larger bays.

Crapper Flappers -R- US

camaromance 02-28-2013 07:34 PM

Crapper-flapper! I love it.

John, what central vac system did you install? I would like to do the same.

DGShaffer 03-01-2013 05:02 AM

I thought about a central VAC but I had never heard of any that got really good reviews. I opted for a Dyson DC35 and mounted the charging station near the floor on the far side of the bed. I keep the long tube and brush head in the closet above it. It's an amazing little vacuum, very light and easy to use without having to store a long hose and for that hose to get caught on and rip molding off the walls. I had a large vac mounted in the garage of my Outlaw but the hose was so long it was more of a PITA to use so most times we brought out the house vacuum when we got back home

DGShaffer 03-01-2013 05:20 AM

I'm waiting to order the Dual Dynamics Crossovers for the Duals on this Challenger until I get it weighed so that I can order the correct pressure setting for it.

Have any of you gotten your Challenger weighed and found the proper inflation pressure for the tires or are you going with the GVWR and setting it to that?

john109 03-01-2013 03:21 PM

Guys here is the pics of the slide out tray I could of gone wider by just making the tray wider. I will upload the slide part numbers in a few minutes.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...ata/2/box4.jpg

john109 03-01-2013 03:22 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...humbs/box2.jpg

john109 03-01-2013 03:23 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...humbs/box1.jpg

john109 03-01-2013 03:28 PM

Don they are not locking but seem to work fine for me. I will paint or maybe put a rug on it once it warms up a little bit. Not sure if you do much with amazon but I joined their prime for around $75.00 a year and get free shipping on a lot of items worth looking into if you shop there much. Along with other good deals.

Shop Fox D3067 22-Inch Full-Ext Drawer Slide 100-Pound Capacity Side Mount, Pair

john109 03-01-2013 03:37 PM

Jim I went with the Dust Devil I think I ordered it through RV Upgrades. I will post pics. I believe there is a video on you tube that shows the dust Devil. The wife said it works better than the one in the house and we are going to keep the hoses and accessories in the under bay storage until we get to the campsite. And the long hose really expands well so it does not take up a huge amount of space.

john109 03-01-2013 03:41 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...humbs/vac5.jpg

john109 03-01-2013 03:42 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...ata/2/vac2.jpg

john109 03-01-2013 03:43 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...ata/2/vac3.jpg

john109 03-02-2013 03:31 AM

Don I am not sure what Dual Dymanic crossovers are? Is it an exhaust system? I have weighed my RV (We have portable scales were I work) so I used them. I was surprised the right side was a bit heavier and thats with no water in it. If your traveling with water that right side is real heavy. As water is even heavier then gas, but at least they have the gas tank centered on the frame. Have you found a reliable site with a chart that gives correct tire pressures? I have used the placard up by the driver seat which calls for I believe 90 psi.

DGShaffer 03-02-2013 05:26 AM

First off John I want to thank you from all of us here for the great information and creative solutions you've provided us as a group. It's people like you, adventurous and creative and willing to share that make a discussion thread like this a valuable tool for current and prospective Challenger owners!

I love the bay slide and think that is something I'll be doing this summer for sure.

To each his or her own with regards to which type the Vacuum they prefer. Yours is definitely an elegant answer to lugging around a household unit. I like my little Dyson DC35 though :D

Now regarding the weight issue. This is a serious and worrisome reality for us Challenger 37DT owners with the two slides and water tank on the passenger side. I received a message early on from an owner that didn't want his comment out in the open regarding this issue. It seems that the passenger side is already heavy and with adding water and filling up all of those large storage bays, this side becomes so heavy that the suspension suffers and begins to fail earlier than the drivers side. I don't know this to be a fact but in light of your findings regarding the weights, it very well could be. I for one will reevaluate how I load my underneath storage as well as how much water I carry.

The Pilot station near me only weighs Axel load, not wheel load so knowing this going in I know I'll need to consider this when setting my tire inflation pressures. Can you post the wheel weights you found when you weighed yours and tell us if it was empty or loaded? That would be really helpful.

I have Michelin 22.5" tires on my Challenger so I use the manufacturers guidelines posted here: Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables Properly inflated tires increase life as well as ride characteristics. I was also running 90psi in the front of my Outlaw. When I found that the actual axle weight only called for 70psi the ride really smoothed out a lot.

Regarding my choice for keeping an eye on the duals in the rear of my motor home I have been using a pressure balancing unit developed by Dual Dynamics and called the Crossfire: Dual Dynamics

I like this more than anything because it provides me with a single point at which to add air to my Duals. The visual indicator shows you the pressure condition at a glance leaving me only having to check the front pressures at fuel stops. Allowing the pressure to balance between the inner and outer tire is a great benefit when it comes to tire wear. Our inner steel wheels get quite a bit hotter than the aluminum outer compounded by their surrounding the brake rotors and calipers. You order them based on the pressure you plan on running. They are calibrated on that pressure to allow air to move in between the two but if there is a pressure change between the two greater then 10 percent the check valve closes protecting the good tire from loosing its air as well. The visual indicators then shows black warning you of an issue.

If I were and over the road trucker, I'd find the lengths we go to as operators of motor homes in an effort to avoid a blow out a bit of over kill as you rarely see tire pressure monitors or pressure balancers on big rigs. Constant monitoring temperature, pressure, and appearance seems to serve them well enough and they are moving constantly. As a group however, we like to think gadgets are the better answer.

I used to use a TST tire pressure monitoring system. After a trip south and back the salt on the roads caused galvanic corrosion between the sensor and my valve stems. I had to get 5 of 6 cut off the valve stems because these sensors we made using cheap materials rather than brass. Do the math! 6x dismount / reinstall new stems / remount / balance. I had no idea this could have happened but nothing goes on my valve stems unless it's stainless steel, plastic or brass! If anyone here wants my old TST system send me a PM. They only offered to replace my sensors but there's no way this unit will ever be used by me so it's been sitting in my garage for the last year and a half. I wouldn't feel right selling it knowing this could happen to someone else.

john109 03-02-2013 10:27 AM

Don thank you for the kind words if I can be of help to
anyone I will. We have all made big investments on this
site in something we all share a passion for so if I can help
Any One of you out I will as you have already done for me. The
Original "crapper flapper". I am at work right now and will
Post my weights later today. I have done some research on
The crossfire system and it seems very interesting.
John

DGShaffer 03-02-2013 03:16 PM

I need to find a place that will weigh my 4 corners. In the mean time I plan on re-figuring my storage layout. I'll try getting the heavy weight stuff over to the drivers side although the bulk of our storage is on the already heavy side.

Please do let me know the weights. I'm going to uses those for ordering my new set of Crossfires.

camaromance 03-02-2013 04:14 PM

Don, how about a 5 or 10 ton bottle jack with a gauge. I tried to find them on Harbor Freight and Amazon but couldn't find one. I've used them before on a bearing press and with a little math, you should be able to calculate the weight at each corner of your coach. I did see a lot of "how to" videos for installing a gauge on a bottle jack, measuring cylinder volume, so forth. You seem like a sharp guy who could figure that out and it's cheaper than dropping several hundred $$ on a set of wheel scales. Hell, you probably have one in your garage already.

Whatnobeer 03-02-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1482163)
Don, how about a 5 or 10 ton bottle jack with a gauge. I tried to find them on Harbor Freight and Amazon but couldn't find one. I've used them before on a bearing press and with a little math, you should be able to calculate the weight at each corner of your coach. I did see a lot of "how to" videos for installing a gauge on a bottle jack, measuring cylinder volume, so forth. You seem like a sharp guy who could figure that out and it's cheaper than dropping several hundred $$ on a set of wheel scales.

Now that's some creative thinking. The more I'm on the board the more I'm impressed with the amount of out of the box thinking you great people have. I don't even own yet and I've already got a ton of ideas for things. You guys are amazing. :bow:

camaromance 03-02-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1481895)
Don thank you for the kind words if I can be of help to
anyone I will. We have all made big investments on this
site in something we all share a passion for so if I can help
Any One of you out I will as you have already done for me. The
Original "crapper flapper". I am at work right now and will
Post my weights later today. I have done some research on
The crossfire system and it seems very interesting.
John

Same goes for me. I have almost every tool known to man and I know how to use about half of them. :cool:

john109 03-02-2013 05:10 PM

Don I messed up and left my weights paper on my desk at work so it will have to be tomorrow before I can post them. But as I recall the right side was about a 1000 lbs heavier than the left with no water onboard. I will make sure to get the exact weights tomorrow. Sorry

Guys the scales I used are from an airport and calibrated on a regular basis so I know they are very acurate. I would "think" that all DT models are pretty close unless you have the washer and dryer installed. Which I don't. I can't speak to the KT model as the inside has a much different layout. When I weighed mine I had a full tank of gas and no water but the unit was winterized. So if you got individual axle weights and they are close to mine I would think you could use my numbers. And if anyone is up in the Boston area I can access the scales anytime and would be glad to weigh any rv. I know its a long way to go but I have taken trips for less reasons.

camaromance 03-02-2013 05:47 PM

John, yeah, the KT tanks run across the chassis and the fuel tank is centered between the frame rails. I wonder why the DT would be different. They are the same chassis and length. I think the stows are the same, as well. Weird....

john109 03-02-2013 06:25 PM

Jim I agree on the frame and length but I believe your inside is laid out different. I have only seen pictures of the KT, inside your machine could be heavier or lighter then the DT. So trying to figure if one side is heavier then the other side would just be a guess. The DT has 2 slides on the right side. I believe the KT has 2 also but different sizes. Also on the DT left side we have a large single slide. And the KT has a smaller slide. All these different things are going to shift the weight around and your corner weights I would think would be much different then ours. If anyone has thoughts throw them in.

DGShaffer 03-02-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1482163)
Don, how about a 5 or 10 ton bottle jack with a gauge. I tried to find them on Harbor Freight and Amazon but couldn't find one. I've used them before on a bearing press and with a little math, you should be able to calculate the weight at each corner of your coach. I did see a lot of "how to" videos for installing a gauge on a bottle jack, measuring cylinder volume, so forth. You seem like a sharp guy who could figure that out and it's cheaper than dropping several hundred $$ on a set of wheel scales. Hell, you probably have one in your garage already.

Yer a sharp one! That's funny, I was at a farmers market today in PA and I almost bought a 22 ton air/manual unit. I never thought about using it for that though. I would question the accuracy of my reading since the frame would be transferring partial load due to twist. With my luck, a slide would fall out :rofl:

It seems easier to locate a weigh station that has a scale capable of weighing the corners. Or, I could drive out to Mass and find someone with access to portable load cells :D

camaromance 03-02-2013 10:54 PM

John, it has to be the layout. Of the 2 slides on the right on the KT, the rear slide is the full body slide from the door to the rear of the coach. What gave you an indication the right side was heavier? Did it drive different?

camaromance 03-02-2013 10:55 PM

Don, sounds like you have a road trip to plan.

john109 03-03-2013 03:59 AM

Guys this could get a little long but I will try to keep it brief. Initially I noticed my right side was leaning a bit. I then got the scales from work and weighed all four corners using 4 scales at once so as not to worry about twisting or torquing the frame and "possibly" messing up my final weight. (Have you guys figured out yet I am a bit anal). Anyway I found my right side was heavier then the left I will post exact numbers later today when I go to work. So then I started digging around different sites and found several threads where people had the same isssue. I ended up getting touch with a guy who owns a Frame and Alignment shop he specializes in Rvs and Tractor Trailers he has been in the business for over 30 years. Also he lives in Minnesota so this was a long distance fix he is a great guy. He had me isolate the frame from the suspension and take some measurements. I ended up being 3.5" low on the right rear and about 1.5" low on the front right. I gave him the measurements and he came up with a block to install between the leaf springs and axle as well as new U Bolts. I did that a few months back and it still looks perfect today. I know if you read around to the thousands of thread out there you will find that some people feel you need to add leaf springs or re arc them or go with the block as I did. Everyone has opinions but I trust the individual I have been working with on this and he feels it will be a permenant fix. So I am going with it until something happens. Guys I am not putting this on here to make people worry or think this will happen to you. But "if" you do notice a lean this is how I corrected mine.

Don I too in the beginning started out thinking I would try shift things to the left side. And then I found all my right lower bays were empty and left ones full and I still had the lean I said to myself this is BS I am going to use all my storage the way it was designed. So I loaded it the way I wanted it got in touch with the the guy in Minnesota came up with block and it sits perfect now. I guess the only concern I may have would be traveling with water as it weighs almost 8 LBS a gal. that adds up quick. But to be honest I have hardly ever traveled with water I usually go off city water at the RV site.

go6car 03-03-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1468186)

That table was bought at CW but RV Upgrades had it in a darker Cherry color although for a lot more money. We paid $79 for it. As you see it, only one side is up so it gets a bit longer with both sides up

That one is more $ because the whole thing is wood (no vaneers). Also - in case anyone is interested, the Cherry color of that table actually has a reddish/orangey cast to it (the website pictures are deceiving). Closer to a darker oak than cherry. The lighter color is similar to what you have there in your rig. Both are great tables!

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 04:41 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on this John. My Outlaw began to sag in the rear from my overloading the suspension so I know this can become a permanent condition over time. I'll try to find a decent place to get mine weighed so I have a foundation for my records at least.

Thanks again!

john109 03-03-2013 05:37 AM

Guys iam doing this from my phone as I can't access forum sites from work computer. But here are the numbers.
Left front 3150 right front 3400 left rear 6000 right rear 6600 I will post more later this little key board is killing me

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 09:20 AM

These are interesting numbers. They are way below the GVAR for both the front and the rear. With these numbers, your solution of raising the right side by simply adding blocks is all that would ever be required. Re-arching the leaf springs or adding a leaf would be overkill since we're no where near the load rating. All that's happening is the slightly higher degree of static load on the heavier side is just compressing the springs a little more.

Going by Michelin's recommended tire pressure for our 235/80R XRV tires and Johns weight findings we could all be running a softer 70psi which is what I was running in the front tires on my Outlaw as well with very pleasant results in ride comfort.

I'll spec my crossovers at 85 and run the rear at the higher rating since I'll be pulling a trailer or car dolly but I'll be running my fronts at 70 (cold)

Thanks for taking the time to post John!

camaromance 03-03-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1482561)
Guys iam doing this from my phone as I can't access forum sites from work computer. But here are the numbers.
Left front 3150 right front 3400 left rear 6000 right rear 6600 I will post more later this little key board is killing me

John, those numbers would be great if you we're racing your DT on a dirt track. I suspect your not, though.:blink:

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1482861)
John, those numbers would be great if you we're racing your DT on a dirt track. I suspect your not, though.:blink:

Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left...

Winner!

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 10:00 AM

7 Attachment(s)
OK Crapper Flapper fan, it's in! Out with the new (idea) and in with the old! Somewhat at least.

The screws they used are very big and the heads interfere with the closing of the door. Revision B will include a threaded ring on the outside of the box that will allow me to screw in a smaller countersunk screw without adding a nut under the skin of the compartment.

They assembled this unit in place so it had to be cut apart to get it out. My Multi-tool made quick work of that. Once it was out, installing the door assembly was pretty easy. The Rhino Flex fittings connect just as they had on my old RV and there's enough room for the clear elbow I use for entertainment value when dumping my tanks. I tries a 45 degree elbow and that actually works better.

john109 03-03-2013 10:44 AM

Don that is exactly what the guy at the frame shop said he felt with these weights the block will be fine. And the scales I used are calibrated every six months so iam sure they are right on the money. Iam still at work and will post more later. BTW crapper flapper looks great I am off tomorrow and ups is supposed to deliver the one you sent.

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 11:14 AM

I'll be running off a few of the threaded backing rings for these so I can use a smaller head screw, plan on receiving another care package.

john109 03-03-2013 01:01 PM

Don were do you order your cross overs from? I have been on there website and there are no dealers in MA. the closest is in VT. and it doesn't appear you can order direct from the company. I did see them on Amazon but I have to go back and do a little more research.

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 02:18 PM

I can't locate any information on the set I bought three years ago but looking at this site: Dual Dynamics There's a distributor about ten miles from me. I'll call them tomorrow. I'm sure this will point you to a distributor near you.

john109 03-03-2013 03:29 PM

Don,
Amazon carries Cross Fires for $75. each they have them in many different pressure ranges. I am not sure what your local dealer sells them for.

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 04:10 PM

Nice find John. I ordered two set to 85psi each. I think I paid close to $90 each last time.

Thanks for the link.

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 04:22 PM

This is a creative marvel! So simple! I have to get one
https://youtu.be/OLY-2FVAgko

john109 03-03-2013 05:14 PM

Jim I don't see me racing the RV soon but maybe in the future going to some races. We don't have much of that up here I have family down south and they say its great so I will have to check it out sometime.

john109 03-03-2013 05:20 PM

Don
I was looking at your flapper photos and are your jacks down? If so do you extend them all winter? I think I see a leak on that cylinder??? just kidding on the leak

camaromance 03-03-2013 05:45 PM

John, we usually go to the May race at Dover. Last year we went to Charlotte for the All-star week. Not sure well make it to any this year though. Plan to stay closer to home this season. We always have a blast at the races.

Don, good job on the crapper-flapper. It looks factory. I have to get me one of those multi tools. I've been eyeing them for awhile now but have been holding out on getting one. I'm redmodeling my basement and I have a lot of trim work to do and that looks like it would make things a lot easier. Also liked the bailing wire tool.

Whatnobeer 03-04-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1482869)
Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left... Turn Left...

Winner!

Hey Don, think you forgot a little Slide....Slide....Turn left....Turn Left...:eek: