iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

sbleiweiss 02-16-2014 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=SPovelko;1928414]The guys from Thor and CW have now adjusted the front cap and replaced the windshield. Now another three to four weeks for them to re-paint the front cap. So now were looking at four plus months

I agree about the loan payments. But why 3-4 weeks to paint? That seems excessive. For what it is worth, and I don't know exactly what CW did to adjust it, when Thor adjusted our cap and replaced our windshield no new paint was needed.

Webman9113 02-16-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bweiler (Post 1929485)
Wanted to also add that mine came with the "rapid camp" remote control system (looks like a small iPod) that controls all the slides, lighting, generator, and leveling system. Seems like a good idea in being able to walk around coach outside while performing leveling and slide functions.

Nice! Let us know how that works out...

SPovelko 02-16-2014 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=sbleiweiss;1929666]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1928414)
The guys from Thor and CW have now adjusted the front cap and replaced the windshield. Now another three to four weeks for them to re-paint the front cap. So now were looking at four plus months

I agree about the loan payments. But why 3-4 weeks to paint? That seems excessive. For what it is worth, and I don't know exactly what CW did to adjust it, when Thor adjusted our cap and replaced our windshield no new paint was needed.

They are having to paint it because once they adjusted the front cap the graphics do not line up properly.They are offset about 1/2''. So far Thor has not offered me any reimbursement.Once I have an end date for the repair of the windshield including the re-painting of the front cap ,I will give Thor the opportunity to reimburse me.:banghead:

SPovelko 02-20-2014 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=SPovelko;1930513]
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1929666)

They are having to paint it because once they adjusted the front cap the graphics do not line up properly.They are offset about 1/2''. So far Thor has not offered me any reimbursement.Once I have an end date for the repair of the windshield including the re-painting of the front cap ,I will give Thor the opportunity to reimburse me.:banghead:

Today CW informed me that they are not sure the gap at the top of the adjusted front cap can be adequately sealed and made water tight. The Thor rep is supposed to be there tomorrow to look at it. Am I crazy for not just taking Thor to court for a refund ,or replacement ???

Webman9113 02-21-2014 06:33 AM

[QUOTE=SPovelko;1936845]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1930513)

Today CW informed me that they are not sure the gap at the top of the adjusted front cap can be adequately sealed and made water tight. The Thor rep is supposed to be there tomorrow to look at it. Am I crazy for not just taking Thor to court for a refund ,or replacement ???

If your state has a lemon law, I'd like to think your case would qualify! And I'd probably just tell the Thor rep straight up that you want either a refund or a new replacement vehicle. I'm not an engineering genius by any stretch, but this just seems to be one of those things that's going to plague the coach (and you) for the rest of its days.

An alternative might be for Thor to just ferry the coach back to the factory for a rebuild, then ferry it back to you when it's completely fixed...and to pick up all the payments you've had to make on it in the meantime.

cenfl 02-21-2014 06:41 AM

[QUOTE=Webman9113;1937043]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1936845)

An alternative might be for Thor to just ferry the coach back to the factory for a rebuild, then ferry it back to you when it's completely fixed...and to pick up all the payments you've had to make on it in the meantime.

This seems like a reasonable solution. The factory is the only place I would trust to get this problem fixed. :banghead:

Webman9113 02-21-2014 06:44 AM

Well, I have to give a little review on Camping World of Bartow, FL. While we had a very nice buying experience there when we got our Challenger, they completely dropped the ball on the service end of things. I contacted them two weeks ago about bringing our 37KT in for three things: warranty repair of a leaking water connection to the ice maker in the back of the fridge; installation of a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer; and installation of a rear trac bar. We were planning a trip to Orlando, and I was going to bring in the coach early to get the work done before my wife and the boys came along later in the Jeep, then we'd hook everything up, pile in, and head to Universal Studios.

After several emails back and forth and three phone calls, the last of which was yesterday (well, I guess technically it was four calls), two of which were never returned, I found out that not only had they not ordered the parts, but I wasn't even on the schedule. Derp.

Unfortunately, none of the RV places close by do Thor warranty work, so I guess I'll be taking my business either to LazyDays or Camping World in Tampa, which are a bit closer, about an hour vs. an hour and a half to Bartow. Maybe one of them can actually figure out how to get a client onto the service schedule...

In the meantime, Universal Studios, here we come!

sbleiweiss 02-21-2014 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=SPovelko;1936845]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1930513)

I happen to be a lawyer in real life, and I can tell you that a lawsuit should always be the last resort. No one wins in most lawsuits. Maybe you get a refund or new MH, but you pay your lawyer one third of that value or so, one way or the other (contingent fee or hourly). Lawsuits are expensive. In this case I know you have already consulted a lemon law lawyer in your state. If he says you have satisfied the elements of the statute and should win, then I would tell Thor that and try to negotiate an acceptable solution. Of course I would see what Thor says tomorrow before contemplating anything further. The last thing I would do is listen to CW.

SPovelko 02-22-2014 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=sbleiweiss;1937269]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1936845)

I happen to be a lawyer in real life, and I can tell you that a lawsuit should always be the last resort. No one wins in most lawsuits. Maybe you get a refund or new MH, but you pay your lawyer one third of that value or so, one way or the other (contingent fee or hourly). Lawsuits are expensive. In this case I know you have already consulted a lemon law lawyer in your state. If he says you have satisfied the elements of the statute and should win, then I would tell Thor that and try to negotiate an acceptable solution. Of course I would see what Thor says tomorrow before contemplating anything further. The last thing I would do is listen to CW.

The real problem is that I am getting conflicting stories from CW and Thor. The service manager at CW is telling me he does not believe the front cap can be adequately repaired as to not be an issue down the road. The guy at Thor says it can be. My delima is do I take that chance with something this expensive ,and how much time does Thor get ,considering I haven't even been able to use this new coach yet ,to keep working on it?

Doggy Daddy 02-22-2014 03:22 PM

I had a problem with Thor. I stopped by the factory in Elkhart for repairs and they referred me to Total RV for repairs. Total RV installed my windshield improperly and it shifted leaving a 1 inch open gap. While on the west coast, I called Thor and explained the problem and that they referred me to Total RV. Well, Thor gave me another referral less than 60 miles away and picked up the cost of re-setting the windshield. And it has not shifted since.

Doggy Daddy 02-22-2014 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=SPovelko;1938964]
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1937269)

The real problem is that I am getting conflicting stories from CW and Thor. The service manager at CW is telling me he does not believe the front cap can be adequately repaired as to not be an issue down the road. The guy at Thor says it can be. My delima is do I take that chance with something this expensive ,and how much time does Thor get ,considering I haven't even been able to use this new coach yet ,to keep working on it?

Will Thor warrantee the repair done by CW? or does Thor want someone else to do the work on the cap? If you haven't, you can Talk to the people at Thor personally and workout and possibly negotiate a solution. If a negotiation involves a cash settlement to you, Thor will put it in writing and have a no disclosure clause in it.

rvbunz 02-22-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy (Post 1939028)
I had a problem with Thor. I stopped by the factory in Elkhart for repairs and they referred me to Total RV for repairs. Total RV installed my windshield improperly and it shifted leaving a 1 inch open gap. While on the west coast, I called Thor and explained the problem and that they referred me to Total RV. Well, Thor gave me another referral less than 60 miles away and picked up the cost of re-setting the windshield. And it has not shifted since.

Generally if you just stop art the service canter without an appointment and they are booked they will refer you to Total Rv. If they can fit you in they will. They sent me to Total RV , but I noticed another problem after I left Total RV went back to the service center and they fixed it as soon as they were able to free up a tech. It wasn't a bug fix so I was lucky

sbleiweiss 02-23-2014 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=SPovelko;1938964]
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1937269)

I would listen to Thor. But I would get it in writing, including an extension of the one year warranty on this issue. Thor has told me that they are very good about extending on an issue that came up in warranty but wasn't fixed right and reoccurs after the year is up, even without any special agreement. But I would still ask for the written agreement in your case where you know of the possible issue.

I assume you don't have an extended service contract? If you do I might alert them to the issue too.

SPovelko 02-23-2014 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=sbleiweiss;1939912]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1938964)

I would listen to Thor. But I would get it in writing, including an extension of the one year warranty on this issue. Thor has told me that they are very good about extending on an issue that came up in warranty but wasn't fixed right and reoccurs after the year is up, even without any special agreement. But I would still ask for the written agreement in your case where you know of the possible issue.

I assume you don't have an extended service contract? If you do I might alert them to the issue too.

I do have the extended five year warranty. The manufacturers warranty on the sub-structure and walls is for two years even without purchasing the extended warranty. At this point though I feel it necessary to consult my attorney ,as I simply do not have any confidence in this repair. Thor has sent people out three times already ,and I have not been able to use this new coach for the first four months of ownership.I think I am going to go with the attorneys recommendations.:banghead:

SPovelko 02-23-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy (Post 1939028)

It's good to hear that Thor stepped up to the plate for you ,but the RV I have is brand new and I haven't been able to even use it yet due to this issue.I will post the timeline of events so that you all get a better idea of what me and my wife(heartbroken at this point) have been going through.

SPovelko 02-23-2014 10:44 AM

Timeline on 2013 Thor Challenger KT

TIMELINE OF EVENTS:

October 29 ,2013 - Purchased 2013 Thor Challenger from Giant RV in Colton California.Noticed crack in front passengers side windshield during walk thru.I was informed by Giant RV that they would replace it and ship it to Camping World in Las Vegas to be replaced.

November 29 ,2013 - Was informed by Camping World that Windshield had not shipped and was informed by Giant RV that Thor was requesting photos of damaged windshield prior to shipping new windshield.

December 6 ,2013 - Dropped off RV at Camping World for scheduled appointment to replace damaged windshield.Photos were taken of damaged windshield and sent to Thor at which time new windshield was shipped to Camping World.

December 20 ,2013 - I Was informed by Camping World that the front cap was defective and the windshield would not fit properly.I was also informed by Camping World that they were having difficulty contacting Thor and was directed to contact Thor myself regarding defective front cap.I spoke with xxx with Thor and was informed by him that he did not believe front cap could be defective and that he would contact Camping World.xxx said he would call me back asap.

December 23 ,2013 - I contacted xxx with Thor as I had received no return phone call from him.xxx stated that he had no new information regarding the front cap.xxx said he would look into it and call me back.

December 24 ,2013 - I contacted xxx(Service Adviser w/Camping World) as xxx with Thor never called me back ,and was informed that Thor wanted them to take measurements of the inside of the front cap.

December 31 ,2013 - I contacted xxx with Camping World and was informed that they(Camping World) would start adjusting the front cap on Thursday(January 2 ,2014).

January 10 ,2014 - I contacted Camping World for an update and was informed by xxx to speak with xxx in Camping Worlds body shop regarding the issues with the front cap.xxx transferred me to xxx.xxx informed me that in his professional opinion that the front cap was defective and not fixable ,and that the RV needed to go back to Thor in Indiana for the proper repairs.I contacted Thor and spoke with xxx supervisor and was informed that Campingworld was given instructions on how to make the repairs and that they believed the front cap is not defective(without seeing it!).

January 13 ,2014 - (Wife) contacted Thor and spoke with xxx , Thor Warranty Tech and was informed that Thor was going to send someone to Camping World to direct repairs on January 17,2014.

January 17, 2014 - Thor representative arrived in Vegas as Camping world to advise service center how to properly and safely complete the repairs so that the windshield could be installed.

January 21 ,2014 - I spoke with xxx and was informed that the Thor Representative (xxx Technical Manager of Thor) met with xxx and was directed in how to make the repairs.xxx informed me that they would start making repairs the beginning of the next week(January 27 ,2014).

January 31 ,2014 - I contacted xxx(Camping World) and was informed that the repair was attempted on Tuesday(January 28 ,2014),but could not be completed ,as the instructions given to them by Thor do not match the existing conditions on the inside of the front cap.xxx also stated that they have been trying to get in touch with Thor since Wednesday(January 29 ,2014) without success.I attempted to contact Thor ,but they were closed. (SP)

February 3 ,2014 - 7:00am left phone message for xxx at Thor to advise of situation (MP).

February 3, 2014 - 7:51am xxx returned called. xxx has been on vacation and unreachable which is why Camping World has not been able to reach him. xxx has his boss calling to reach xxx. He will call me back. (MP)

February 3, 2014 - 10:05am xxx returned called with update that he got from his boss who texted xxx on his cruise. xxx is expected in town tonight at 11pm and will be in the office tomorrow. He will ensure that xxx speaks with Camping World tomorrow since he was the person who visually inspected the challenges of this windshield. (MP)

February 3, 2014 - 10:13am Called xxx at Camping World to give him an update that xxx has been out of the office but will call him tomorrow with the next steps. He explained that they too called and emailed today and were advised that xxx is out of the office. Asked xxx to keep me posted and that I would also follow up with Thor tomorrow to ensure that Camping World has received a return call. (MP)

February 4, 2014 - 12:30pm Spoke to xxx at Thor to get an update. xxx is calling Camping World today. (MP)

February 4, 2014 - 4:00pm left message for xxx at Camping World for update. (MP)

February 4, 2014 - 4:35pm xxx with Camping World returned call stating the xxx did contact them but they had missed his call. They will reach out to him tomorrow. (MP)

February 5, 2014 - 11:41am xxx with Camping World called to advise of update. His team and xxx have spoken and determined that they need to send a tech from the factory to make the necessary repairs on site. The earliest that they can have someone in Vegas is Monday. They are expecting a representative onsite on Monday to stay until the repair is completed. (MP)

February 10, 2014 - 2:18pm Called xxx with Camping World for update. Technician from Thor had not arrived yet and was expected at noon today. xxx did speak with xxx with Thor who was coordinating the technician who would check on the status of the expected arrival. (MP)

February 10, 2014 - 4:45pm xxx with Camping World called to let me know that the technician arrived and looked at the RV. They will return tomorrow at 8am to begin repairs. I advised xxx not to let them leave without fixing it for us. (MP)

February 11, 2014 - 4:50pm Called xxx with Camping World for update. He advised me that the modifications were made and that the glass is in. Needs to sit overnight to cure. (MP)

February 13, 2014 - 3:00pm Called xxx with Camping World for update and left phone message. (MP)

February 13, 2014 - 5:20pm xxx returned call to advise me that the windshield is fix and looks good like nothing was ever wrong, however the front cap did not line up exact so now needs to have his body shop repair some trim. Timeline for the body shop is not known but will let me know. In the meantime, they will begin on the rest of the list of warranty items and the installation of the satellite and surge protector. (MP)

February 14, 2014 - Visited Camping World to review repair work. Change to front cap resulted in 1/2 inch off set of cap and now paint and graphics do not line up properly. Camping World has been unable to obtain authorization from Thor to begin work that will take another 2-3 weeks to repaint and repair. (SP)

February 14, 2014 - 10:50am called xxx at Thor - not available. Left phone message for xxx, Director of Customer Service of Thor to obtain authorization from Thor to begin work. (MP)

February 14, 2014 - sent email expressing frustration to customer service (MP)

February 14, 2014 - 11:20am called xxx, he sees the pre-authorization and will get with xxx for approval. Explained that this is taking way too long and our frustration. (MP)

February 14, 2014 - 2:10pm received a call from xxx, Assistant VP of Operations with Thor. He stated that he sees the authorization for the paint but with a question for Camping World. He advised me that he will make sure that the process is expedited so that we can get our coach back. He will discuss with xxx, xxx boss as well. (MP)

February 14, 204 - 5:20pm received return call from xxx at Camping World. Advised him that the authorization was approved for the body work (paint) and Thor had a question for them. He would find out what they needed. Advised xxx to call me for updates and if he needs anything to keep the process moving.(MP)

Feb 17 - 9:15am received call from xxx at Thor to advise us that the approvals have been processed. (MP)

Feb 17 - noon received call from xxx with Camping World to advise us that they have the approvals and moving coach to body shop for painting. (SP)

Feb 19, 2014 - 8am received call from xxx, Thor, who works forxxx,xxx boss.
xxx wanted to let me know that all approval have been made and that I can reach him at any time for an update.

Feb 19, 2014 - 4:03pm called xxxat Camping World, Body Shop Mgr, for an update on the paint. (MP)

Feb 20, 2014 - 10:48am Received call from xxx at Camping World, he advised that they are trying to color match the RV. However, the windshield repair left a gap at the top of the coach. Thor is sending xxx out to review the gap since it can not be closed without altering the cap but altering the cap will create the windshield problem again. The gap could cause water damage. (MP)

Feb 20, 2014 - 10:53am Left message for xxx to speak with use regarding this issue. (MP)

Feb 20, 2014 - 10:58am Received call from xxx and told him about this gap issue. He had no notes of this new problem and will talk to xxx about this issue. I advised him that we are done waiting for this repair.

Feb 20, 2014 - 11:11am Received call from xxx that xxx will be in Vegas tomorrow am to review gap. I asked about a refund or replacement and he said that would have to be with the dealer and he is in warranty.

How this guy thinks this is a dealer issue ,when it is clearly a Manufacturers issue I do not know.:banghead:

okiefrank 02-24-2014 12:31 AM

You must have the patients of Job,, would have had this thing back to the dealer after the first real problem, I would have my attorney pounding on someones desk and have another motor home to replace this mess. Just my opinion..

DGShaffer 02-24-2014 05:11 AM

Yup. Never trust a CW or any all brand repair facility for anything major. Sounds like the Giant RV dealer started this one rolling and CW just let it snow ball. I would have had Thor either pick it up or I would have driven it there for this issue. Assuming I would have bought it without a windshield which I can honestly say I wouldn't have.

sbleiweiss 02-24-2014 09:10 AM

Terrible! The only difference with our situation is that we had Thor pick it up (much closer than you are) and fix it themselves. I would still try to negotiate this direct with Thor. A third of $110,000 or so is a lot of money you will lose using a lawyer. I have observed that they write checks pretty easily at Thor.

SPovelko 02-25-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1941476)
Terrible! The only difference with our situation is that we had Thor pick it up (much closer than you are) and fix it themselves. I would still try to negotiate this direct with Thor. A third of $110,000 or so is a lot of money you will lose using a lawyer. I have observed that they write checks pretty easily at Thor.

Update.The Technician with Thor showed up at CW last Friday and completed the adjustment of the front cap himself.The gap at the top of the cap is now closed. I spoke with the warranty department with Thor they are going to reimburse me for everything from the time I bought the RV and are guarantying the repair.CW has documented the history of the repair ,which Thor reps made themselves. So if I ever have to replace the windshield at least it is documented that Thor adjusted the front cap themselves.:dance:

tedgard01 02-25-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1943549)
Update.The Technician with Thor showed up at CW last Friday and completed the adjustment of the front cap himself.The gap at the top of the cap is now closed. I spoke with the warranty department with Thor they are going to reimburse me for everything from the time I bought the RV and are guarantying the repair.CW has documented the history of the repair ,which Thor reps made themselves. So if I ever have to replace the windshield at least it is documented that Thor adjusted the front cap themselves.:dance:

Wonderful!

This may have been a difficult time, but it sounds like Thor has done their part to make you whole. I am proud of the way they came through. And this gives me confidence that I chose them for my new RV.

rvbunz 02-25-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Great. I'm so glad Thor has stepped up for you, just wish it wouldn't have taken so long. I hope you can now enjoy your coach. Happy and safe travels.

tedgard01 02-25-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1943557)
Great. I'm so glad Thor has stepped up for you, just wish it wouldn't have taken so long. I hope you can now enjoy your coach. Happy and safe travels.

In reality, Thor did not get involved until over a month into this ordeal. It was all CW before that.

Yes, it took about another two months to get this resolved, but that is also being jacked around by CW, who should have recognized that this was way over their head and ability far sonner.

You also need to consider that this was also during a crisis situation in weather up in Elkhart. Joel Grimm (Director of their Gas division) even told me that the weather shut them down for days, for the first time in over 20 years. Things happen at the worst time....

The result is truly what counts... That is my thinking anyway...

cenfl 02-25-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Great to hear that your problem has been resolved. Would you mind sharing how the THOR tech adjusted the front cap to close the gap? Sounds like that would be a major undertaking :confused:

SPovelko 02-25-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cenfl (Post 1943595)
Great to hear that your problem has been resolved. Would you mind sharing how the THOR tech adjusted the front cap to close the gap? Sounds like that would be a major undertaking :confused:

I wasn't there in person to witness the final adjustment ,but I know it took them all day.

DGShaffer 02-26-2014 05:01 AM

Seems all that was required was to get the CW techs away from your coach. Nice guys but I don't trust them with much. Most times they order the wrong parts to begin with.

It's been a long and snowy winter out here. I was happy just to take mine out for a drive last weekend to rotate the wheels and get some fuel so I could run the generator again.

sbleiweiss 02-26-2014 07:53 AM

Great! Now time to hit the open road in that bad boy. Good camping.

sbleiweiss 02-26-2014 07:55 AM

If this weather ever transitions to Spring we want to head to the Knoxville area for about a week. A while ago someone posted about good RV Parks and good routes for seeing the area. Can you repost that information or contact me offlist? Thanks.

Mwoodofd 02-26-2014 06:48 PM

We are headed to Austin this weekend in our Challenger. Should be nice that direction, in the 70's. Got the MH out today and at home, plugged in, getting ready. Short drive from the Fort Worth area. Visiting our son that attends UT, and taking the daughter to preview the campus and school. Staying at La Hacienda Resort on Lake Travis, nice spot.

rvbunz 03-01-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1945176)
We are headed to Austin this weekend in our Challenger. Should be nice that direction, in the 70's. Got the MH out today and at home, plugged in, getting ready. Short drive from the Fort Worth area. Visiting our son that attends UT, and taking the daughter to preview the campus and school. Staying at La Hacienda Resort on Lake Travis, nice spot.

Mark, still heading to Elkhart for the 31st appointment?

Mwoodofd 03-01-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1948811)
Mark, still heading to Elkhart for the 31st appointment?

Yes sir. Not sure if I am going alone, or if DW will go too. Looking forward to seeing you.

Mwoodofd 03-01-2014 11:14 AM

It is going to be 80 today in Austin, and 30 when I get back to Dallas area. Going to get down in the 20's at night. Bummer, just flushed out the pink stuff, and need to add it tomorrow. Dealer showed me how to easily do it. By pass and drain water heater, pump pink stuff through pump, drain low points, add to P-Traps, etc. Did not turn on ice maker, but will drain line to be sure.

SPovelko 03-03-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1944149)
Seems all that was required was to get the CW techs away from your coach. Nice guys but I don't trust them with much. Most times they order the wrong parts to begin with.

It's been a long and snowy winter out here. I was happy just to take mine out for a drive last weekend to rotate the wheels and get some fuel so I could run the generator again.

I'm starting to think you are right. Seems like they are just milking this to death. They test drove my RV today and are telling me they heard a pop and then the sound of air coming in. Will this nightmare ever end? The wife is going to call the director of customer service at Thor tomorrow. I am never taking any RV to CW for repairs again.:banghead:

DGShaffer 03-04-2014 05:05 AM

For major repairs it really does suck that these facilities just don't employ the quality of help they need or can't be bothered sending them for training. Check out rvservicereviews.com and see if there is a place close to you with a better reputation and at the very least, leave a review.

Having to drive to the factory seems like an extreme that most of us are forced into. I started a thread titled "Warning Do Not Buy a Motor Home" sort of tongue in cheek but with a real message, and that is, these things can really be a heart ache in a lot of cases so be prepared that you might be the unlucky one. I had to drive mine to the factory after my local CW caused a huge leak in my slide trying to fix a squeak. There was no way I was bringing it back for them to try to fix the leak they created. Who knows what else would go wrong after that.

edgray 03-04-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1952641)
I'm starting to think you are right. Seems like they are just milking this to death. They test drove my RV today and are telling me they heard a pop and then the sound of air coming in. Will this nightmare ever end? The wife is going to call the director of customer service at Thor tomorrow. I am never taking any RV to CW for repairs again.:banghead:

I've been trying to follow your trail of frustration, and feel really bad about all you've been thru, but I'm confused. If the TMC tech "completed the adjustment of the front cap himself" on 2-21, WHY was it being test driven by CW people on 3-2 ??? Did you go see what they did on 2-21? Have you seen it since they reported the "pop"? Given your experience with that CW, I don't understand why it was / is still there. :confused:

SPovelko 03-07-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgray (Post 1953737)
I've been trying to follow your trail of frustration, and feel really bad about all you've been thru, but I'm confused. If the TMC tech "completed the adjustment of the front cap himself" on 2-21, WHY was it being test driven by CW people on 3-2 ??? Did you go see what they did on 2-21? Have you seen it since they reported the "pop"? Given your experience with that CW, I don't understand why it was / is still there. :confused:

I'm not sure why the Thor tech did not test drive the coach. I wanted CW to test drive it before I sign the release from Thor. I am just waiting for my attorney to review the release before I decide to sign it. The pop ended up being nothing according to CW. The body shop manager test drove it and discovered that the wind was coming from the passenger side window ,which I already knew about.The coach i still at CW because there were several minor warranty issues they are going to address as well as install a new satellite dish ,and surge protector and read out.

Mwoodofd 03-08-2014 08:17 AM

We are looking forward to going to Elkhart at the end of the month to get our MH repaired. A long drive , but we will make a trip out of it, probably drop it off, head to Wisconsin to visit relatives ( hopefully in a new toad). Looking forward to seeing Capt Bob there too, and I hope the weather is good. Nice trip to Austin last weekend, but the ice hit just as we got bak to DFW area.

tedgard01 03-08-2014 11:59 PM

Well, wish me luck! My new 2014.5 Challenger 37GT is supposed to arrive on Monday, March 10, 2014.

It is being delivered to CW in Colfax, NC, directly from Elkhart, IN. It came off the production line on February 12, then went to the paint shop for 10 days. It then went back to the factory for the final audit, cleaning, and on to the ship line. It was hot shipped as it was pre sold.

They will perform the dealer inspection, clean and wash the coach and undercarriage to remove any salt and debris from shipment. Then they will call me so that I can inspect it to insure that it is exactly as I ordered. They will then start the mods that I ordered and install the in-motion satellite, the stacked washer and dryer, the permanent SaniCon macerator, the First Place Finish, and install my tow bar and related wiring harness.

They will park my old coach door to door with the new coach so that we can transfer all our belongings. Once we are ready, we are on our way to NM, and several other states for the summer.

tedgard01 03-09-2014 12:10 AM

I wonder how soon I should schedule my first trip to trake the coach back to Elkhart for a check up and any related warranty work that may come up between now and then?

DGShaffer 03-09-2014 07:08 AM

Looking them up on rvservicereviews.com RV Service Reviews they get a poor rating so be warned. Hopefully you've prepared by printing out a detailed PDI check list and have the tools you need to do a thorough inspection.

If I were you, I would wait until CW completed their work so it can be included in the PDI.

You should also take the time to write a review of your experience on the service review site.

Congratulations and best wishes for a fantastic 2014 camping season.

sbleiweiss 03-09-2014 08:27 AM

Winter is finally breaking enough in Chicago to get out of Dodge. Heading to Pigeon Forge Tennessee and the Great Smokies. Leaving Friday for a week. Will be in Elkhart at Thor on April 7. Anyone else going to be there then?

rvbunz 03-09-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1960208)
Winter is finally breaking enough in Chicago to get out of Dodge. Heading to Pigeon Forge Tennessee and the Great Smokies. Leaving Friday for a week. Will be in Elkhart at Thor on April 7. Anyone else going to be there then?

I'll be in Elkhart on 31 March. Be there until ask repairs are complete. When in April will you be there?

DGShaffer 03-09-2014 08:52 AM

We're heading to Cherokee the last week of August. We love the area and the mountains so much that we bought a house there a few years back. We'll be retiring in that area for sure. Enjoy your trip and if you need suggestions on places to see, let me know

rvbunz 03-09-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1960221)

I'll be in Elkhart on 31 March. Be there until ask repairs are complete. When in April will you be there?

I guess I should have read your whole message, I see you'll be there on the 7th of April. I'll probably gone by then

tedgard01 03-09-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1960136)
Looking them up on rvservicereviews.com RV Service Reviews they get a poor rating so be warned. Hopefully you've prepared by printing out a detailed PDI check list and have the tools you need to do a thorough inspection. If I were you, I would wait until CW completed their work so it can be included in the PDI. You should also take the time to write a review of your experience on the service review site. Congratulations and best wishes for a fantastic 2014 camping season.

The one you had selected was CW in Columbia, SC. There are no reviews in there for the CW in Colfax, NC. Therefore, those reviewers are meaningless for my location, as far as I can see. Regardless, I can appreciate your warnings, and I am being cautious anyway.

The purpose of this upfront review is strictly to insure the coach is what I ordered, and that there is not something glaringly wrong, and not meant to be my walkthrough or completing my PDI.

I also told them that I want to discuss their plan for performing the installations before they do anything. I have learned my lesson, and will not simply tell them to install anything without having them go through the installations beforehand and telling me exactly what they plan to do.

In regard to the PDI, I am not accepting delivery or signing anything until all the work is completed. I did take your previously provided list of items to check out during the PDI, as well as adding other items to it that are specifically related to this coach.

edgray 03-09-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1960271)
In regard to the PDI, I am not accepting delivery or signing anything until all the work is completed. I did take your previously provided list of items to check out during the PDI, as well as adding other items to it that are specifically related to this coach.

I sincerely wish you nothing but a satisfactory delivery experience, but unless you've got it in writing on the purchase agreement, I doubt any dealer will begin installation of such a comprehensive list "customizations"
such as you've listed, before you OWN it. I hope I'm wrong.......:flowers:

In answer to your other post, NC is a lot closer to IN than NM is. Perhaps NM is a bit too long for a "shakedown" cruise....just sayin.

tedgard01 03-09-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgray (Post 1960399)
I sincerely wish you nothing but a satisfactory delivery experience, but unless you've got it in writing on the purchase agreement, I doubt any dealer will begin installation of such a comprehensive list "customizations" such as you've listed, before you OWN it. I hope I'm wrong.......:flowers: In answer to your other post, NC is a lot closer to IN than NM is. Perhaps NM is a bit too long for a "shakedown" cruise....just sayin.

Thanks for the note. You may be right, so I will be prepared to do the PDI for the coach, then separate for the upgrades. In regard to the NM trip, no choice there. I have to go out there to help out my MIL. And will be there for several weeks. There is a good sized CW in Albuquerque, if needed. I've made that trip numerous times, and yet I know that it is not advisable to go that far for a shake down trip, but the timing does not leave much leeway. I had planned to take a much closer to home shakedown trip, but the weather delayed delivery by about a month.

Regardless, I have installed a new 60' by 15' concert pad at the side of my house to park it on. I have shore power at my house (installed 50 amp service, which I used for my previous coach). I have water hookup available, and I am also able to run my macerator hose to the sewer clean out in my yard. Therefore, I plan to be camped at home for several days before leaving. Then, I will be traveling only over to Nashville, TN for the first leg and camping there for a day or two to visit some of my iRV2 comrades. Then on to Little Rock, AR for a few days to visit some relatives, etc., etc....

So, if any issues come up on the way, I can always turn around if absolutely necessary. I even had another concrete/gravel mix pad, 50 amp shore power, water, and sewer hookups installed at my MIL's place as well. So we will be close to a home base for some time before heading out to more unknown places.

Even at that, we will be meeting some iRV2 friends out there to travel with as we go to Nevada, Wyoming, Utah, etc. I guess, if I were not already a veteran RV'er, it may be more concreting.

bdickson 03-09-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1960911)
Thanks for the note. You may be right, so I will be prepared to do the PDI for the coach, then separate for the upgrades. In regard to the NM trip, no choice there. I have to go out there to help out my MIL. And will be there for several weeks. There is a good sized CW in Albuquerque, if needed. I've made that trip numerous times, and yet I know that it is not advisable to go that far for a shake down trip, but the timing does not leave much leeway. I had planned to take a much closer to home shakedown trip, but the weather delayed delivery by about a month. Regardless, I have installed a new 60' by 15' concert pad at the side of my house to park it on. I have shore power at my house (installed 50 amp service, which I used for my previous coach). I have water hookup available, and I am also able to run my macerator hose to the sewer clean out in my yard. Therefore, I plan to be camped at home for several days before leaving. Then, I will be traveling only over to Nashville, TN for the first leg and camping there for a day or two to visit some of my iRV2 comrades. Then on to Little Rock, AR for a few days to visit some relatives, etc., etc.... So, if any issues come up on the way, I can always turn around if absolutely necessary. I even had another concrete/gravel mix pad, 50 amp shore power, water, and sewer hookups installed at my MIL's place as well. So we will be close to a home base for some time before heading out to more unknown places. Even at that, we will be meeting some iRV2 friends out there to travel with as we go to Nevada, Wyoming, Utah, etc. I guess, if I were not already a veteran RV'er, it may be more concreting.

I have had Thor warranty work done at CW Albuquerque and have been generally happy with them. Enchanted Trails RV Park next door is convenient and they honor Passport America and Good Sam discounts. For diesel owners there's a Freightliner service center at the end of the street.

tedgard01 03-09-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1961024)
I have had Thor warranty work done at CW Albuquerque and have been generally happy with them. Enchanted Trails RV Park next door is convenient and they honor Passport America and Good Sam discounts. For diesel owners there's a Freightliner service center at the end of the street.

Thanks my friend for the heads up!

sbleiweiss 03-10-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1960244)
We're heading to Cherokee the last week of August. We love the area and the mountains so much that we bought a house there a few years back. We'll be retiring in that area for sure. Enjoy your trip and if you need suggestions on places to see, let me know

Would appreciate your suggestions for the area Don. We will be camping at Up the Creek RV Park in Pigeon Forge. Just two adults. We will rent a car once there. We mostly want to sight-see and eat good local food. So things to see and restaurants to go to would be the best advice. Thanks in advance.

Moscow 03-10-2014 08:19 AM

Challenger 2014 1/2 37 ft GT class a gas

Hello we are looking to purchase our first mh and are interested in this particular type/model and were wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this one thanks!

rvbunz 03-10-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moscow (Post 1961651)
Hello we are looking to purchase our first mh and are interested in this particular type/model and were wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this one thanks!

I for one love my challenger 37dt. What model are you looking at?

AJB 03-10-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1960208)

DW & I are leaving FL on March 30th and heading to Elkhart for our April 7th appt.. Going to have them fix all of Camping Worlds screw ups.

rvbunz 03-10-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJB (Post 1961710)

DW & I are leaving FL on March 30th and heading to Elkhart for our April 7th appt.. Going to have them fix all of Camping Worlds screw ups.

I'll be in Elkhart on 31 March

tedgard01 03-10-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moscow (Post 1961651)

I see from the subject that you are looking at the 2014.5 Challenger 37GT. I can tell you that I have been looking at many floor plans, and this one soots our lifestyle better than most others that we looked at. We ordered one and expect to take delivery sometime in the next few days.

We liked both the DT and GT floor plans, but liked the GT for a few more reasons than the DT. A few things to consider;

1) The GT floor plan means that you will need to walk through the bathroom to get to the bedroom. That was not a concern to us, but others may not like that.
2) We like the GT kitchen area a great deal, but that may not be a focus item for others.
3) We love the bathroom layout a lot, with the separated sinks. I am very different than my wife in regard to that area, and therefore it is better to have our own individual sink area.... Enough said...
4) The dining table in the GT fit our needs a little better, but the DT has a very nice window by the table.
5) The DT has a nice fireplace in the living room, the GT does not. That may be a more important option to some.

Regardless, both the GT and the DT are very nice coaches.

Moscow 03-10-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1457672)
Thanks neighbor! I haven't gotten a chance to take photos yet but once this white crap disappears I'll shoot photos of the floor cutouts and registers I installed. I'm also planning on making a XM holder with power for my Roady 2 in the outside entertainment center. If I come up with a clever way to reset the breaker on the inverter without removing the cover I'll be posting that up as well.

Did you get much snow where you are? I ended up with only about 3" maybe 4.

Hi there: I see you have a challenger 2013. I'm looking at the 2014 1/2 challenger GT 37 gas mh. Can these mh's tow cars Ok? I have a Prius.

Moscow 03-10-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1961701)
I for one love my challenger 37dt. What model are you looking at?

the 2014 1/2 Challenger GT 37' foot gas - has the kitchen island in it which I love the look of.

rvbunz 03-10-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moscow (Post 1962028)
Hi there: I see you have a challenger 2013. I'm looking at the 2014 1/2 challenger GT 37 gas mh. Can these mh's tow cars Ok? I have a Prius.

I have been towing a 2008 GMC Acadia with no problem. I did just buy a fiat so I could tow lighter.

tedgard01 03-10-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

I flat tow a 2013 Honda CR-V. The hitch is rated for 5K lbs.

In regard to Toyota cars, I was informed by Toyota that none of their cars are able to be flat towed.

DGShaffer 03-10-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

I have a Kar-Kaddy 360 SS tow dolly so I can tow either car I wish to take. The dolly itself weighs about 500 pounds and I towed my Jetta from Jersey to Key west without a single issue.

Best wishes with the new GT!

EdBurnett 03-10-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1948876)
It is going to be 80 today in Austin, and 30 when I get back to Dallas area. Going to get down in the 20's at night. Bummer, just flushed out the pink stuff, and need to add it tomorrow. Dealer showed me how to easily do it. By pass and drain water heater, pump pink stuff through pump, drain low points, add to P-Traps, etc. Did not turn on ice maker, but will drain line to be sure.

. I think I've winterized mine three times this winter.

Moscow 03-11-2014 07:13 AM

thanks everyone for all of your feedback. Will pass this stuff on to my hubby.

Moscow 03-11-2014 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1962218)
I flat tow a 2013 Honda CR-V. The hitch is rated for 5K lbs.

In regard to Toyota cars, I was informed by Toyota that none of their cars are able to be flat towed.

hmmmm that's not a good sign - we love our Prius

tedgard01 03-11-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moscow (Post 1962979)
hmmmm that's not a good sign - we love our Prius

Yep, I understand. First read your manual to be sure, under the "Recreational Towing" section.

If it can't be flat towed, as Don said, you may think about using tow dolly.

I started out using a tow dolly because I had a Honda Accord, which also could not be flat towed. I quickly found that it was very difficult to use and did not fit my needs. If I were younger, stronger, or had no other choice, then that is an alternative means of pulling your car. For me, I rather upgrade my car than have to use a tow dolly... Just my thoughts on the subject.

edgray 03-11-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1962999)
Yep, I understand. First read your manual to be sure, under the "Recreational Towing" section.

If it can't be flat towed, as Don said, you may think about using tow dolly.

I started out using a tow dolly because I had a Honda Accord, which also could not be flat towed. I quickly found that it was very difficult to use and did not fit my needs. If I were younger, stronger, or had no other choice, then that is an alternative means of pulling your car. For me, I rather upgrade my car than have to use a tow dolly... Just my thoughts on the subject.

MOSCOW: I agree with tedgard01, and think dollies are a real PITA, but there MAY be another alternative. I suggest you check with REMCO to see if they offer a solution that will allow you to flat tow your Prius.

DGShaffer 03-11-2014 12:20 PM

Dollies can be a bit more troublesome than flat towing but the cost to outfit a car to flat tow is a consideration. Having to drive a model that's compatible is another issue. Being able to bring any vehicle you want is one of the considerations that had me purchase a dolly. I only take a car on rare occasions, it's just to easy to rent a car if needed or to hang out and enjoy the campground.

If I were full timing or retired and traveling a lot I would flat tow but for now I appreciate the advantages the a dolly affords.

tedgard01 03-11-2014 01:28 PM

True, and valid points.

Another is age, physical capacity and other health issues. If I were younger and had more strength it may make more sense. Cost was a far less concern for me at my stage in life.

I also tow my car all the time.

Moscow 03-12-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1960041)
Well, wish me luck! My new 2014.5 Challenger 37GT is supposed to arrive on Monday, March 10, 2014.

It is being delivered to CW in Colfax, NC, directly from Elkhart, IN. It came off the production line on February 12, then went to the paint shop for 10 days. It then went back to the factory for the final audit, cleaning, and on to the ship line. It was hot shipped as it was pre sold.

They will perform the dealer inspection, clean and wash the coach and undercarriage to remove any salt and debris from shipment. Then they will call me so that I can inspect it to insure that it is exactly as I ordered. They will then start the mods that I ordered and install the in-motion satellite, the stacked washer and dryer, the permanent SaniCon macerator, the First Place Finish, and install my tow bar and related wiring harness.

They will park my old coach door to door with the new coach so that we can transfer all our belongings. Once we are ready, we are on our way to NM, and several other states for the summer.

Hello: We too are looking at the same MH as you have just bought - 2014 1/2 Challenger GT 37'. I am very interested to see how you like it. We are planning our purchase within the next year when my husband retires.

tedgard01 03-12-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moscow (Post 1964953)
Hello: We too are looking at the same MH as you have just bought - 2014 1/2 Challenger GT 37'. I am very interested to see how you like it. We are planning our purchase within the next year when my husband retires.

I had my first visit to my new 37GT today!

They have cleaned it up very nicely. Even washed the undercarriage.

It has a few minor things that they put on the list of things to fix;
1) A dent in the refrigerator door.
2) The docking lights in the rear are not turning on.
3) A few small scratches, and one more deeper scratch in the engine cover in the cab area.
4) Some silicone smudges around some of the access doors. Need to be cleaned before applying the First Place Finish.
5) The Rapid Camp wireless remote was not programmed to operate the Automatic Leveling Jacks.
6) Apply some caulking in the shower.
7) Install a latch on the round door that houses the trash can under the counter top.

I am going back tomorrow for a more detailed check out of more systems and etc.

We are happy to report that everything has checked out thus far to our satisfaction. The list above is minor issues.

It is amazing that the total milage on the odometer is only about 20 miles more than what the trip should be from Elkhart to here. I assume that those extra miles were due to moving through the manufacturing line and between the plant and paint shop.

DGShaffer 03-13-2014 04:48 AM

They do take them out for a test drive at the factory as well as moving them from plant to plant.

Best of luck and have a terrific 2014 camping season!

SPovelko 03-14-2014 09:06 PM

Finally getting our RV back tomorrow.

Well three and a half months since I dropped it off at CW and we are finally getting our RV back.:dance::dance:

tedgard01 03-14-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1968068)
Well three and a half months since I dropped it off at CW and we are finally getting our RV back.:dance::dance:

Great to hear that you are now able to use it!

I guess Thor must have come through then?

DGShaffer 03-15-2014 05:20 AM

A friend has a Palazzo and he's just getting his back as well. I guess they feel that if you're not asking for it, you must not plan on using it so they take their time.

It's 44* here already this morning, Spring is Springin! We plan on opening ours and getting started on the spring cleaning and putting everything back in it. I'll wait to dewinterize since we still seem to be dropping below freezing over night

tedgard01 03-15-2014 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1968270)
A friend has a Palazzo and he's just getting his back as well. I guess they feel that if you're not asking for it, you must not plan on using it so they take their time. It's 44* here already this morning, Spring is Springin! We plan on opening ours and getting started on the spring cleaning and putting everything back in it. I'll wait to dewinterize since we still seem to be dropping below freezing over night

Starting our trip to NM next weekend. I plan to be gone all summer. Have fun this summer!

Retirement is great, at least I don't have to worry about getting back to work...

DGShaffer 03-15-2014 01:04 PM

You have a great trip and a great summer. Enjoy the retired life!

rvbunz 03-15-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1968290)

Starting our trip to NM next weekend. I plan to be gone all summer. Have fun this summer!

Retirement is great, at least I don't have to worry about getting back to work...

Enjoy your trip. I'll be heading to Elkhart for warranty work on the 29 the, then myrtle beach on 27 April for a week.

Sunshiny 03-15-2014 04:12 PM

Hi I'm new to this forum, and so glad to have found it! I'm learning so much about the Challengers. My husband and I are considering either a 37KT or a 37GT. We're leaning toward the GT because of the 2 sinks in the bathroom and the larger couch in the living area, but I'm having a problem with the large kitchen window that will look out at our neighbor's camping spot when we are parked in a campground. Has anyone found this to be an issue? I love the window on the KT that would look out at our own camping spot, and it goes all the way down to the floor, so cool. In the end, the living spaces are going to win out over the window configuration, but I hope I don't end up feeling like a nosy neighbor with that big kitchen window. I welcome any comments. Thanks.

rvbunz 03-15-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshiny (Post 1968856)
Hi I'm new to this forum, and so glad to have found it! I'm learning so much about the Challengers. My husband and I are considering either a 37KT or a 37GT. We're leaning toward the GT because of the 2 sinks in the bathroom and the larger couch in the living area, but I'm having a problem with the large kitchen window that will look out at our neighbor's camping spot when we are parked in a campground. Has anyone found this to be an issue? I love the window on the KT that would look out at our own camping spot, and it goes all the way down to the floor, so cool. In the end, the living spaces are going to win out over the window configuration, but I hope I don't end up feeling like a nosy neighbor with that big kitchen window. I welcome any comments. Thanks.

Have you looked at the DT? It has two sinks in the bathroom. That is the coach we have. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll give you my number.

Sunshiny 03-15-2014 08:38 PM

We love the bathroom in the DT, but we don't need the large dinette since it's just the two of us and we tend to eat with a plate in our lap. Pretty much have it narrowed down to the GT, just wish I could be at peace with that window.

rvbunz 03-15-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshiny (Post 1969180)
We love the bathroom in the DT, but we don't need the large dinette since it's just the two of us and we tend to eat with a plate in our lap. Pretty much have it narrowed down to the GT, just wish I could be at peace with that window.

We are thinking of changing out dinette out. Replace the u shaped dinette with table and chairs with a window ledge/ work area.

okiefrank 03-16-2014 12:39 AM

We have the GT and the wife loves the big window, If you don't want to look out you can always pull the blinds, but we love it.

sbleiweiss 03-16-2014 08:23 AM

Not quoting because responding to several threads. Just got out of winter in Chicago after a brutal winter. Writing this morning from Pigeon Forge TN. In a beutiful campground on an end spot where we face nothing but creek, woods and field. Didn't even have to close shades last night. Yesterday was 70 degrees and sunny. This morning is 51 and raining. Good news is the new KT is watertight and the heat works. Ha ha. Still nice to be here. For the woman worried about the windows, they work great on the KT. Of course you still have to worry about what your table window faces, but we work hard to find spots that can be neighbor-free on that side and in the rear. Found it this time anyway. Yay. If you go the GT route, just try to do the same thing on the other side. We will be at Thor April 7. Anyone else be there then?

Mwoodofd 03-16-2014 08:45 AM

We will be there the week of March 31st. I don't believe we will be there more than 4 or 5 days, then we head back home to the DFW area.

rvbunz 03-16-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1969571)
Not quoting because responding to several threads. Just got out of winter in Chicago after a brutal winter. Writing this morning from Pigeon Forge TN. In a beutiful campground on an end spot where we face nothing but creek, woods and field. Didn't even have to close shades last night. Yesterday was 70 degrees and sunny. This morning is 51 and raining. Good news is the new KT is watertight and the heat works. Ha ha. Still nice to be here. For the woman worried about the windows, they work great on the KT. Of course you still have to worry about what your table window faces, but we work hard to find spots that can be neighbor-free on that side and in the rear. Found it this time anyway. Yay. If you go the GT route, just try to do the same thing on the other side. We will be at Thor April 7. Anyone else be there then?

I'll probably be fine by then. I'll be in Elkhart for my appointment on the 31 st, and if ask goes well I'll be there a few days, if not you may see me there. I'll be meeting with Jon Krider about our club. Have a safe trip, may see you on the highway. When are you heading out for Elkhart? Maybe we can get in touch and meet on the highway.

rvbunz 03-16-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1969601)

I'll probably be fine by then. I'll be in Elkhart for my appointment on the 31 st, and if ask goes well I'll be there a few days, if not you may see me there. I'll be meeting with Jon Krider about our club. Have a safe trip, may see you on the highway. When are you heading out for Elkhart? Maybe we can get in touch and meet on the highway.

That's gone by then not fine.

DGShaffer 03-16-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1969571)
Writing this morning from Pigeon Forge TN. In a beutiful campground on an end spot where we face nothing but creek, woods and field.

Which CG did you choose, and which spot do you have? We're heading to the area for Labor day this year and have reservations at Deep Creek in Cherokee.

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 11:50 AM

Sunshiny we have the GT and have been on the road for 10 weeks since October. I can safely say we like our big window. It lets in a lot of light and when the sun shade is pulled you cant really see in. As far as the kitchen goes, we love it. we have not cooked a lot of complicated stuff, but I have always had enough room.

I have only two things that I have been real disappointed in. First the couch seems to become less comfortable as time goes along. Second, the slides are not flush with the floor. This would not usually be an issue but as we have overnight into sub-zero weather on numerous nights in Kansas City, I can tell you that there is a definite draft.

If you dont plan on going out in that lovely weather its fine.

On the DT I would point out that you cant get the stacked washer and drier (I think). If you cant I can tell you that the combo unit does not work that well.

David

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 12:04 PM

My 37GT

So, on my 37GT I have done a couple of projects. First I "built" an entertainment center. It is one of the draw backs of the 2014.5 year that there is not a true designated place for the Satellite receiver. It will not fit in the cabinet. it has worked out well so far. Still need to stain it. I never seem to get to the finishing part of my projects done. looking for my pictures to attach on this one, but I can tell you it is in the dead space under the table.

David

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 12:19 PM

My 37GT door

3 Attachment(s)
So, as I was saying earlier we have been on the road for some time now. The weather has been awful. With a toddler we have to be real careful about temps in the coach. One are that is a heat sink is the door. You loose a lot of heat there. So we got a pull down shade that keeps a lot of the heat in.

Because I mellted the bed spreed (long story) I ussed the fabric to build a balance. It has worked out real well, and as an added bonus it blacks out the light. Here is a pic.

it turned out well enough that I went ahead and did the same for the windows in the bedroom. The DW would net let do the back window all the way to the bottom, something about cutting coach trim turned her off. All in all, when the shades are pulled, we have a true blackout. So much so that when the DW was on the road last Tuesday, I got turned around getting up in the middle of the night, got out of bed wrong and went through the closet mirror. Took $38 to fix.

David

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 12:23 PM

My 37Gt floor regesters

I really liked the floor register upgrades yall did so I did mine. Ran into a challenge while cutting. I had a 1/8 inch aluminum sub floor under the wood deck. My multi-tool would not cut through it (at least not anytime soon). So my jig saw with mettle blade and a cutting jig made quick work of it. Did anyone run into this?

David

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 12:45 PM

Winterazation

So we have been camping at Basswood RV near Kansas City since Feb 1st. Things have gone ok, sewage hose froze twice. Fixed with a heat tape and two thermal curtains zip tied around it.

Fresh water hose has been fine, we have the Pirit 50" hose. The reviews were mixed on line, but if you follow the instructions it should be fine. Just have to remember it is not a regular hose.

I also found a great little heater to go in the wet compartment that has worked well at keeping everything flowing. One note, on our trip to DC in November our water pump froze. I spray foamed the dead space under it that has seemed to help.

The coach only has a 30 gallon LP tank, which is fine for most things. This winter has been killer. We went through a tank in less that a week. The cost of dropping a external tank, but it would have cost over $500 just to get the tank. Ferrallgas was charging over $6 a gallon. So the folks in the RV Park where averaging $1000 a refill. We took the opportunity to put in the Cheapheat system. Cost more for installation than it should have,, but we have the choice between LP and Electric heat. Seems to work well. Our electric bill for the month was $250. Still others in the park that were using LP and space heaters had bills as high as $350. the only Draw back is the way we have ours set up, it will only run on shore power.

The one thing I can not fix? The house batteries froze solid. That never occurred to me and unfortunately they are gone. this caused the engine battery to die also, since i was not paying attention over the last few weeks. I will be going to a deep cycle 12 volt battery. I have read about the downsides for this, but we dont dry camp alot, and maintenance free sounds good. If anyone has ideas about this problem, please share.

David

sbleiweiss 03-17-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1969609)
Which CG did you choose, and which spot do you have? We're heading to the area for Labor day this year and have reservations at Deep Creek in Cherokee.

Up the Creek CG in Pigeon Forge; spot 35. No facilities at the small CG; full hookups with fire pit and nice table and chairs on concrete patio; but the nicest most private camping spot we have found yet. Good thing too because all the honky tonk of this area is disappointing to us. Coming back to the camp site makes it better.

sbleiweiss 03-17-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1969601)

Won't be driving to Elkhart until Sunday 4/6 Bob. Probably have to wait until another time. Good luck there.

sbleiweiss 03-17-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcRaney (Post 1969849)
Sunshiny we have the GT and have been on the road for 10 weeks since October. I can safely say we like our big window. It lets in a lot of light and when the sun shade is pulled you cant really see in. As far as the kitchen goes, we love it. we have not cooked a lot of complicated stuff, but I have always had enough room.

I have only two things that I have been real disappointed in. First the couch seems to become less comfortable as time goes along. Second, the slides are not flush with the floor. This would not usually be an issue but as we have overnight into sub-zero weather on numerous nights in Kansas City, I can tell you that there is a definite draft.

If you dont plan on going out in that lovely weather its fine.

On the DT I would point out that you cant get the stacked washer and drier (I think). If you cant I can tell you that the combo unit does not work that well.

David

We had the same slide drafts on both the DT and Kt. Our combo washer seems to work fine though; a little slow but so what while camping?

DGShaffer 03-17-2014 09:22 AM

Pigeon Forge is one of the most popular vacation spots in the East for some reason. There's a lot to do to be sure. Having purchased a home in Sevierville which is just outside of of Pigeon Forge, I had to learn the back roads throughout the area. The nice thing is that there is always something to do there.

Thanks for the skinny on the CG!

sbleiweiss 03-17-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcRaney (Post 1969941)
So we have been camping at Basswood RV near Kansas City since Feb 1st. Things have gone ok, sewage hose froze twice. Fixed with a heat tape and two thermal curtains zip tied around it.

Fresh water hose has been fine, we have the Pirit 50" hose. The reviews were mixed on line, but if you follow the instructions it should be fine. Just have to remember it is not a regular hose.

I also found a great little heater to go in the wet compartment that has worked well at keeping everything flowing. One note, on our trip to DC in November our water pump froze. I spray foamed the dead space under it that has seemed to help.

The coach only has a 30 gallon LP tank, which is fine for most things. This winter has been killer. We went through a tank in less that a week. The cost of dropping a external tank, but it would have cost over $500 just to get the tank. Ferrallgas was charging over $6 a gallon. So the folks in the RV Park where averaging $1000 a refill. We took the opportunity to put in the Cheapheat system. Cost more for installation than it should have,, but we have the choice between LP and Electric heat. Seems to work well. Our electric bill for the month was $250. Still others in the park that were using LP and space heaters had bills as high as $350. the only Draw back is the way we have ours set up, it will only run on shore power.

The one thing I can not fix? The house batteries froze solid. That never occurred to me and unfortunately they are gone. this caused the engine battery to die also, since i was not paying attention over the last few weeks. I will be going to a deep cycle 12 volt battery. I have read about the downsides for this, but we dont dry camp alot, and maintenance free sounds good. If anyone has ideas about this problem, please share.

David

We had a similar but different problem with batteries just when we were ready to leave on this trip to TN. This new KT has a residential refer. That entails a whole different system for powering it. It has an inverter that you turn on and off when needed and an EMS system that turns on the generator automatically when needed if the house batteries get low. I guess I didn't understand the new system well enough. When we were ready to head out I found the chassis battery and house batteries dead as a doornail. Refer was still cold and about 7 hours had been added to the generator. Got a jump from AAA and the chassis battery tested out good. Took it to a local RV dealer who didn't find anything wrong but said the house batteries needed replacing. We had fried them. He didn't have any so we are on this trip with house batteries that are limping along. Fine while on 50A shorepower or driving. But can't hold up much on their own. Apparently, at least that is what the dealer concluded, I left the inverter on and the battery disconnect switch off. The combination screwed things up. I am not aware of ever leaving the disconnect switch off. Grrr.

DGShaffer 03-17-2014 09:33 AM

If you continue west on 73 you can visit Cades Cove and Rt. 129 through Deals Gap then on to Fontana Dam, Cherokee and Clingmans Dome

tedgard01 03-21-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1971249)
We had a similar but different problem with batteries just when we were ready to leave on this trip to TN. This new KT has a residential refer. That entails a whole different system for powering it. It has an inverter that you turn on and off when needed and an EMS system that turns on the generator automatically when needed if the house batteries get low. I guess I didn't understand the new system well enough. When we were ready to head out I found the chassis battery and house batteries dead as a doornail. Refer was still cold and about 7 hours had been added to the generator. Got a jump from AAA and the chassis battery tested out good. Took it to a local RV dealer who didn't find anything wrong but said the house batteries needed replacing. We had fried them. He didn't have any so we are on this trip with house batteries that are limping along. Fine while on 50A shorepower or driving. But can't hold up much on their own. Apparently, at least that is what the dealer concluded, I left the inverter on and the battery disconnect switch off. The combination screwed things up. I am not aware of ever leaving the disconnect switch off. Grrr.

Did you call Thor for technical support? I would think that they have information on those combination of how the inverter and disconnect work. There are so many RV's that I wonder sometimes how much the general RV guys may really know about your coach.

BTW, did the EMS come with any manuals? I am picking my new 37GT and I was told by the CW service rep that he had to go onto the internet and print the 34 page manual because one was not provided from Thor with the coach. I guess they missed that one... The EMS seems to have a lot of options. There is a setting for amps, for temp, how long the generator runs when it auto starts, even a setting for "Quite Time" hours, etc.

tedgard01 03-21-2014 11:54 PM

Well, after the coach arrived at CW, and they performed all the mods we requested, and most of the PDI punch list items, we are now almost ready to take possession of our new 2014.5 Thor Challenger 37GT.

We are moving our stuff out of the old Dolphin and into the new Challenger this weekend. We have a couple of items left for Monday to do at CW, and then we will be driving it home to complete the final load of food and other personal items.

We will be heading out to NM sometime this week, and plan to spend some time in the mountain west states this summer.

bobandshaz 03-22-2014 12:00 AM

Have a safe trip to NM and let's get together while your here. We have kicked our hunt up and now starting to narrow the field to pick the one.

Shaz