iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

ctpres 12-08-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustanowlAZ (Post 2338030)
Greetings all...The DW and I are looking at two different Class A's, A Coachmen Mirada 35BH and the Challenger 37TB. After reading back through this forum about a month, I'm wondering what overall you think of your Challenger's now. Sounds like a lot of inconsistent construction practices in the Challenger...
So can you help us make a decision? Would you get your Challenger again? Are there any issues common to the Challenger line? Any pitfalls we should know about?
Thanks...

Would we buy Challenger again? Yes in a heartbeat. I have been going over ours for two months (retired and nothing else to do) and have found numerous things I didn't like. I would bet anyone that, given the same two months with any mfg's new model, that I could find an equal number of problems. Could the factory have delivered a better product - sure - could we afford it then - probably not. Challenger has some great floor plans, uses reasonably good quality appliances and components.
The RV industry in general is experiencing a very high demand for new products and I am sure every mfg is hard pressed to deliver the quality customers demand.
One thing I can depend on is Thor support.
This particular forum is very unique in that it is not for bashing the product but for exchanging information that might be helpful to others.
Enjoy your new "A"

ctpres 12-08-2014 11:36 AM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

#40. Had dash cover off again today and decided to add GPS audio out to dash radio. Used adapter plug on our GPS audio output and audio cable with RCA plugs on the other end for radio aux-in. Works great. Now no matter how much background noise there is up front we both can hear everything. Even without my hearing aids, sound level and quality is so much better.

LyonsL 12-08-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Greetings all...The DW and I are looking at two different Class A's, A Coachmen Mirada 35BH and the Challenger 37TB. After reading back through this forum about a month, I'm wondering what overall you think of your Challenger's now. Sounds like a lot of inconsistent construction practices in the Challenger...

So can you help us make a decision? Would you get your Challenger again? Are there any issues common to the Challenger line? Any pitfalls we should know about?

On the plus side...We're looking forward to getting on the road and doing some traveling...maybe even taking our business on the road...With The amount of money we are looking at spending, just want to make sure we are making the best decision...

Thanks...

I'm not familiar with the Coachmen Mirada but we love our Challenger 37KT! Just like everything else built by man, it's not perfect but the build quality is very high for the price. We bought the Challenger for it's floor plan and quality features. Most people we know like to customize and tinker with their motor coaches and that's what we post here. We have no regrets and would do it all over again!

sbleiweiss 12-09-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

On the plus side...We're looking forward to getting on the road and doing some traveling...maybe even taking our business on the road...With The amount of money we are looking at spending, just want to make sure we are making the best decision...

Thanks...

I constantly wonder the same thing. Problem is it is very hard to know whether other manufacturers, or any given one, is better. I wonder if there are forums like this one for other manufacturers, models. If there is one for the Mirada, follow it for awhile and see what the owners think; how it compares to the Challenger comments.

ctpres 12-09-2014 06:11 PM

#41. Porch light won't turn off! Earlier today I tested the Rapid Camp for range from Coach - turned out to be be nearly 60 feet! For the test I used porch light and wasn't paying attention when done and left it on. Later I tried to turn it off with stairwell switch and no go. Won't say how long it took me to figure out that Rapid Camp light functions are latched relay ie. once you turn on with Rapid Camp you must turn off with Rapid Camp or kill 12v supply. Didn't bother to test but safe bet that awning lights will be the same.

bigdaddy5120 12-09-2014 06:20 PM

In Honor of ctpres , Thanks for all the information and mod idea's

In case some of you missed these MODS/ Info, here are some links .

Outside TV
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/my-2...de-190970.html

Water Siphoning remedy
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/wate...dy-200892.html

Need to know info: LCI levelers issue, solved !!
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/lci-...ed-171313.html

Webman9113 12-10-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Any coach is going to have issues, regardless of manufacturer. We've owned two coaches built by Damon (before it was merged with Thor), a Winnebago Tour, a Fleetwood Expedition, and now a Challenger 37KT. I'd say the overall build quality of Winnebago is the best of that lot, followed by Fleetwood, and the Challenger by Thor is better than the old Damons.

However, having said that, my parents bought an Itasca Navion (same thing as a Winnebago View) and have had tons of quality control issues with it: shower stall falling down, skylight shade falling off, improperly installed sink drain, a supposedly stainless steel sink that was rusting, along with a recurring issue with the emissions control system that's put the otherwise fantastically reliable Sprinter chassis into limp mode over thousand or so miles and has required diagnostics from Mercedes engineers in Germany (and they still aren't sure it's fixed).

We had no more than a few very minor quibbles with the Tour, a really problematic issue with one of the Fleetwood's computer modules (but not much else - any other issues were solved by the original owner), and the Damons didn't have any particular problems, although we didn't own either of those long enough for much to crop up.

As for the Challenger, a 2014.5 KT, we've had it out on a number of shorter trips, plus a 10 week trip through New England this last summer. The three major issues that came up were 1) the fridge came loose from its mounting, but that was the fault of service technicians that fixed a leaking hose to the ice maker and didn't reseat the fridge properly, although the factory mounting method needs a LOT of improvement, IMHO; 2) some of the bolts holding on the front slide brackets were either stripped or loose, one of which almost jammed one of the slides; and 3) the switch controlling the rear slide burned out, thankfully right near the end of the trip, although that was something that an on-site service tech could have easily diagnosed and fixed (in fact, I called Thor for tech support, and that's what they believed it was).

Were those annoying? Yep. But they were all easily fixed. The most work went into remounting the refrigerator, which now will NOT come loose unless someone wants to intentionally remove it or the coach gets hit by an atomic bomb. Would I buy another Thor coach? Absolutely. They offer great value for the price and Thor has some of the most innovative floor plans in the industry (which was the primary draw for us, as the layout of the 37KT fit our traveling lifestyle perfectly), and I have no complaints about the Ford engine and chassis. While it's not bulletproof, I would have no worries at all about full timing in it. In fact, we plan to do just that once we get both boys off to college, in between some overland trips overseas. :-)

ctpres 12-10-2014 08:26 AM

Challenger Contest

Just for fun - what changes do you think will show up on 2016 Challengers. Not what you want but what do you expect to see and why you think it will happen. I have several ideas but will hold off as I would not be a qualified to win anyhow. Winner with most right guesses will get one week free Challenger parking at the Bar-Bob ranch in Needville TX. Free use of ranch facilities and assistance in making as many mods as time allows. In case of a tie, forum members will vote on the winner. Contest ends on 2/1/16 or when 2016's announced if earlier.

ctpres 12-10-2014 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is satellite view of ranch. Water and 30 or 50 amp service with dump available. Fishing in our lake is catch and release. We are close enough to Houston and Galveston for sightseeing. Have fun guessing

ctpres 12-10-2014 09:45 AM

Challenger contest end date

OPS should be 2/1/15. Sorry.

camato5 12-10-2014 09:53 AM

is there a special thread on here for Thor Tuscany owners?

bigdaddy5120 12-10-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2339788)
#41. Porch light won't turn off! Earlier today I tested the Rapid Camp for range from Coach - turned out to be be nearly 60 feet! For the test I used porch light and wasn't paying attention when done and left it on. Later I tried to turn it off with stairwell switch and no go. Won't say how long it took me to figure out that Rapid Camp light functions are latched relay ie. once you turn on with Rapid Camp you must turn off with Rapid Camp or kill 12v supply. Didn't bother to test but safe bet that awning lights will be the same.

Can you post a Pic of the awning lights , so I can see how they done it.

sbleiweiss 12-11-2014 01:45 PM

Has anyone disconnected the speakers in the bedroom so that audio from the dash radio isn't carried back there? How did you do it?

bdickson 12-11-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2341707)
Has anyone disconnected the speakers in the bedroom so that audio from the dash radio isn't carried back there? How did you do it?

Just go to the Audio Controls on the dash radio and adjust the Fader control to turn the rear speakers down or off altogether.

tedgard01 12-12-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Greetings all...The DW and I are looking at two different Class A's, A Coachmen Mirada 35BH and the Challenger 37TB... Thanks...

Hi, and welcome to iRV2.

I don't know your previous RV'ing experiance, how long you have been looking, or why you have narrowed your choice to these two brands and makes of RV's. Regardless, take your time and enjoy the hunt.

I have not owned a Coachmen, but I did own another RV prior to buying my 2014.5 Challenger 37GT. There are things I liked better about my previous coach then my new one, and many things I like better about my Challenger than the previous one.

The best advice I can offer is to take some time and really take the time to physically examine as many coaches as possible before making a final decision. Just remember that when comparing coaches, try to rate it against coaches in the same category and manufacturing level. Also, be aware that there are a lot of pre-owned deals available that make your choices wide open.

In regard to the Challenger, we love our floor plan and the coach in general. Thor has so far proven to be a reputable manufacture for us and has replaced all defects identified since the purchase. Therefore, we think this purchase was a good one for us, and that when compared to coaches of the same type and manufacturing level, we are satisfied that we made the correct choice.

Good luck on your decision.

Ted

slaterdon 12-13-2014 12:03 PM

Thor Buyer Beware

My wife and I purchased a 2014 Ĺ Thor Challenger 37 GT at the Hershey Show in September 2013. Due to the popularity of the unit I was told that the unit I purchased would not be ready until December. I started making plans to Snow Bird in Florida the beginning of January 2014. December came and the delivery was delayed until January. Actual delivery occurred at the Hershey Camping World at the end of March. When we did our walk though, I noted and mentioned the significant amount of rust on the inside of ALL of the undercarriage storage compartments. I was told this needed to be reported to the Syracuse Camping World as they were the SELLERS of this model and the Hershey store was only affecting delivery. Syracuse was notified. Since then we have had over 40 warrantee issues occur with this unit including exterior siding ďfalling offĒ, vinyl tears in front of sofa slide, broken dining room chair, warped dining table, broken drawer slides, cabinet doors falling off, leaking inflatable beds and 22 other MINOR irradiations. I have had an independent repairman work on the unit, Hershey had the unit for two weeks and I drove from Maryland to Syracuse where they had the unit for three days and still have over a dozen problems including the chair, table, cabinet doors and warped table to name a few. Now we are in Florida (finally). I took the unit to the Tampa Camping World and was told that EVERYTHING needed to be reported AGAIN. Additionally, I was told that THOR will not cover the RUST issue. I was told to call THOR. I called and was told that my OWNERS MANUAL clearly states that RUST is NOT covered by warrantee. That is the OWNERS MANUAL that I received when I accepted delivery of the unit. I took the unit to an independent RV dealer and was told the RUST devalued the unit by around $20,000.00. As I said, Buyer Beware, Thor makes a poorly constructed product and DOES NOT stand behind it. I have a unit less than a year old with less than 5 thousand miles on it not worth half what I paid for it. While Iím at it, beware buying from Camping World. There may be better Camping World dealerships out there but I havenít had any luck finding them.

bigdaddy5120 12-13-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2330393)
I've included photos of the refrigerator lock.

I have completed my refrigerator lock today. I used a (1)#10-24 threaded rod that's about 6 inches long,(2) #10-24 hex nuts, (2) washers, thread lock, and (1) rod socket (knob that's for rods 1-3/8 in diameter), and black spray paint. I got all these parts from Lowes for less than 10.00. The parts I bought will make 2 of these locks . The bottom pic shows the lock screwed in with the doors open, this will hold the doors open for ventilation when not in use.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...931eb8ac54.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...f48db03373.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...961b5ad420.jpg

bigdaddy5120 12-13-2014 08:46 PM

Has anyone put speakers up front in the cabin area ? The ones in ceiling are behind you so the road noise makes it hard to hear them.

sbleiweiss 12-13-2014 11:37 PM

When in an RV park for a week or more, do you leave yuor gray water tank valve open so the tank can drain to the sewer continually and never need to dump it? Pro's and con's for doing this?

okiefrank 12-14-2014 12:19 AM

Seems to me you should contact an attorney and look at thge lemon laws in your state,.

ctpres 12-14-2014 06:30 AM

REV-2

QUOTE=bigdaddy5120;2343811]I have completed my refrigerator lock today. I used a (1)#10-24 threaded rod that's about 6 inches long,(2) #10-24 hex nuts, (2) washers, thread lock, and (1) rod socket (knob that's for rods 1-3/8 in diameter), and black spray paint. I got all these parts from Lowes for less than 10.00. The parts I bought will make 2 of these locks . The bottom pic shows the lock screwed in with the doors open, this will hold the doors open for ventilation when not in use. QUOTE

On my list of things to do - pretty much what you did but add a second rod socket or a large/soft washer so you can secure door for travel AND keep door open with washer on both sides of the door. Inside washer thicker for ventilation and outside washer holds door so it won't move in storage position.

ctpres 12-14-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2344154)
When in an RV park for a week or more, do you leave yuor gray water tank valve open so the tank can drain to the sewer continually and never need to dump it? Pro's and con's for doing this?

We leave gray open. Not sure I would with slinky hose due to possible sewer gas exiting roof vent and stinking up the area. We use Sewer Solutions and just run hose so there is a trap in the line that blocks gas. You should close gray a day or so before dumping black so there is enough gray water to clean up the dump hose.

bigdaddy5120 12-14-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2344255)
QUOTE=bigdaddy5120;2343811]I have completed my refrigerator lock today. I used a (1)#10-24 threaded rod that's about 6 inches long,(2) #10-24 hex nuts, (2) washers, thread lock, and (1) rod socket (knob that's for rods 1-3/8 in diameter), and black spray paint. I got all these parts from Lowes for less than 10.00. The parts I bought will make 2 of these locks . The bottom pic shows the lock screwed in with the doors open, this will hold the doors open for ventilation when not in use. QUOTE

On my list of things to do - pretty much what you did but add a second rod socket or a large/soft washer so you can secure door for travel AND keep door open with washer on both sides of the door. Inside washer thicker for ventilation and outside washer holds door so it won't move in storage position.

Be sure to post some pic when completed. Thanks for all the great Idea's !

I plan on adding a VIZO sound bar to the bedroom TV next week. It's hard to hear the TV when the AC unit is on. I am going to mount it under the TV cabinet. My 2014 doesn't have a window in this area like the 2015.
I will also add a spray nozzle behind the toilet, I will use this to add water to the tanks after clean out. No more carrying buckets from outside !
I am going to mount two speaker in the cabin area to solve the problem of hearing radio while traveling. I haven't figured this out yet.

ctpres 12-14-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2344346)
Be sure to post some pic when completed. Thanks for all the great Idea's !

I plan on adding a VIZO sound bar to the bedroom TV next week. It's hard to hear the TV when the AC unit is on. I am going to mount it under the TV cabinet. My 2014 doesn't have a window in this area like the 2015.
I will also add a spray nozzle behind the toilet, I will use this to add water to the tanks after clean out. No more carrying buckets from outside !
I am going to mount two speaker in the cabin area to solve the problem of hearing radio while traveling. I haven't figured this out yet.

Not sure which toilet you have but we can fill bowl by pressing foot leaver half way down and then flush. Much better than hauling buckets. Also 2015 has built in black tank flush. After cleaning tank I just close black dump valve and continue to run tank flush for about one minute.

bigdaddy5120 12-14-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2344698)
Not sure which toilet you have but we can fill bowl by pressing foot leaver half way down and then flush. Much better than hauling buckets. Also 2015 has built in black tank flush. After cleaning tank I just close black dump valve and continue to run tank flush for about one minute.

I can hold the flush lever down also , it just takes forever to get the tank a 1/3 of the way full . I don't close the black valve while flushing , mine has a warning sticker about doing that. I also like to fill the gray a 1/3 way full also. I do this all last just right before we leave . I will put a valve on the line so it only has pressure on it when I want to use it .

ctpres 12-14-2014 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=bigdaddy5120;2344728] I don't close the black valve while flushing , mine has a warning sticker about doing that. QUOTE]

You are right - bad habit left over from old coach. Never to old to learn.

tedgard01 12-14-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

First, I use a macerator, so I would not leave the gray water valve open anyway.... Regardless, you should not leave the gray water valve open in my opinion. When not using a macerator, my thought was to allow the tanks to fill up and dump at 2/3's or more full. I then dump the black before the gray. This allows you to use the gray water to clean out the lines after dumping the black water tank.

Just my thought.

Ted

Musikboy 12-15-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

I always leave tank valves closed. I don't want anything in there to dry and become solid, so solid that I can't wash it out, particularly with the gray water tank, because I don't have a flush system on that tank, I do with the black water tank.

Every 3rd day or so, I go out and dump the tanks and rinse black water tank just to be safe.

LyonsL 12-15-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

I agree with most of the other replies and I keep the gray valves closed until the tanks get 2/3 full. I don't want any sewer gases seeping into the coach and that happened a few times with a previous coach.

My 2015 37KT has 2 grey holding tanks, one for sinks & shower and the other for the clothes washer. Both tanks are 40 gallons each and we can easily go a few days before they need dumped.

ctpres 12-15-2014 04:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
#42. My misadventure. More often than not I don't want to tell others about my mistakes. But then it wouldn't be a story if all not told.
How I installed my Crossfire. LINK to what Crossfire is. First connect hose with straight connector to inside dual. Select outer dual hole in line with valve stem. If holes don't line up, use first hole going clockwise. If you are not flexible and don't have small hands - be prepared to suffer. Once you see where inner valve stem is, you might try moving coach for a different stem location. Provided instructions say to screw on until air stops and then 1 to 1.5 more turns. 1 to 1.5 turns is hard to judge when making small changes. I just used a sharpie and marked nut so the 1 turn plus was easy. Next connect U shaped hose to outer stem. If stem is not at a good angle just loosen the nut, just enough to rotate stem. It works without loosing air. Remove chrome axle cover using a real socket. Factory tool woefully weak and probably won't hold up to first removal, mine did not. BE VERY CAREFUL in selecting nuts to remove as they all are not removable. If you try to take off one of the decorative nuts - it will come off - but you won't be able to get it back on. PM me for how to fix. Without very close inspection they all look alike - if not sure simply tap each nut and the real ones will be obvious. My Crossfires came with the AT/BH brackets - no way any of them would work so mistake number two, maybe - I just mounted it directly to the axle cover. Only the miles will tell if mounting to axle cover was a good idea or not. Couple of quality notes: all stainless or aluminum EXCEPT lock washer and one Crossfire valve stem was so close to body that I could not install my TST tpms without removing the anti theft housing. Probably not real important but the calibration is off so you can't depend on the visual marker for correct pressure.
--

Head Honcho Suzie & Foreman Chuck
BAR-BOB Ranch

bdickson 12-15-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2346042)
I just mounted it directly to the axle cover. Only the miles will tell if mounting to axle cover was a good idea or not.

I mounted my Crossfires the same way, by drilling the cover. No problems after 12,000 miles.

ctpres 12-16-2014 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
#43. Set-A-Bouts, those items that need to be stored for travel and then retrieved for camping, are my biggest pet peeve. So every time I can somehow eliminate one I am a happier camper. Three down and quite a few more to go. DW's countertop make-up mirror is gone. Picture shows the adjustable mirror I installed on hinge side of bathroom sink mirror. Now she can see front and back views - hands free. Gone! - one countertop knife holder - replaced with wall mount magnetic knife holder. Mounted it on frig wall between cooktop and convection oven. Also gone and out of sight, countertop paper towel holder. Suspended it from countertop inside trash can cabinet.

sbleiweiss 12-17-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2347103)
#43. Set-A-Bouts, those items that need to be stored for travel and then retrieved for camping, are my biggest pet peeve. So every time I can somehow eliminate one I am a happier camper. Three down and quite a few more to go. DW's countertop make-up mirror is gone. Picture shows the adjustable mirror I installed on hinge side of bathroom sink mirror. Now she can see front and back views - hands free. Gone! - one countertop knife holder - replaced with wall mount magnetic knife holder. Mounted it on frig wall between cooktop and convection oven. Also gone and out of sight, countertop paper towel holder. Suspended it from countertop inside trash can cabinet.

Speaking of trash cabinet, our 14.5 KT came with an entire kitchern cabinet devoted to a small pull-out trash can. First you had to swing the door open, then grab and pull out the trash can. And it was way smaller than the cabinet could hold. We did several things. The slide out trash can was a Rev-a-Shelf product. they make a variety of these products in different sizes and styles. We got a bigger one that fit the cabinet. They also sell a kit that allows you to take the door off its hinges, and attach the door to the pull-out trash can. Now, all you do is pull the door out and the trash can comes with it. We also put in a small pull out shelf (shallow drawer) above the trash can to hold the liner bags and whatever else makes sense.

jclarkfork 12-17-2014 12:15 PM

Crapper Flapper

Hi all, I am new the this Thor forum as we have just purchased a 2013 Challenger 37kt. Looking at all the post I am seeing a lot of good ideas and one I really like is DGSHAFFER's Crapper Flapper. If he is still on this forum I was interested in Talking to him about it and see if he has any left in stock for purchase. If so he can PM me with info. Our previous MH was a 2000 National Sea View that I remodeled and we love this new MH and are looking forward to learning all about it from the good people on this site.:dance:

tedgard01 12-17-2014 05:48 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclarkfork (Post 2348007)
Hi all, I am new the this Thor forum as we have just purchased a 2013 Challenger 37kt. Looking at all the post I am seeing a lot of good ideas and one I really like is DGSHAFFER's Crapper Flapper. If he is still on this forum I was interested in Talking to him about it and see if he has any left in stock for purchase. If so he can PM me with info. Our previous MH was a 2000 National Sea View that I remodeled and we love this new MH and are looking forward to learning all about it from the good people on this site.:dance:

It is good you found this thread. I am sure we all will look forward to seeing your suggested mods as well. Don (DGShaffer) is a great resource. I am sure he will follow up with you.

Ted

ctpres 12-17-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2347972)
We also put in a small pull out shelf (shallow drawer) above the trash can to hold the liner bags and whatever else makes sense.

Now there is an idea I will use some day. Maybe not above trash can but that could be done below just about any shelf.

LyonsL 12-17-2014 11:29 PM

No Pull Out Trash Can

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2347972)
Speaking of trash cabinet, our 14.5 KT came with an entire kitchern cabinet devoted to a small pull-out trash can. First you had to swing the door open, then grab and pull out the trash can. And it was way smaller than the cabinet could hold. We did several things. The slide out trash can was a Rev-a-Shelf product. they make a variety of these products in different sizes and styles. We got a bigger one that fit the cabinet. They also sell a kit that allows you to take the door off its hinges, and attach the door to the pull-out trash can. Now, all you do is pull the door out and the trash can comes with it. We also put in a small pull out shelf (shallow drawer) above the trash can to hold the liner bags and whatever else makes sense.

Our 2015 37KT did not come with the pull out trash can (discontinued by Thor). I installed an adjustable shelf in the cabinet to increase the storage capacity but I like your idea about the small pull out drawer and will add that mod next!

ctpres 12-19-2014 12:03 PM

250 mile report

Finally on the road for some real product testing. 37KT handling, compared to our old Workhorse chassis, not as good, steering is way more sensitive, requiring constant minor correction and I don't mean like needing alignment. Hoping that will smooth out as tires wear a bit. But it is still two finger driving if you really want to. Some steering correction required for passing trucks but not anything I would spend money to fix. Shifting under cruise control is probably about same as the Allison setup. So again I won't use cruise unless it's really flat and no overpasses. Might invest in Five Star or Brazel's engine tune to help with shifting before we hit any real mountains. Engine noise is fine until climbing, the high reving engine is something I am sure we will get used to. Ride comfort is on par with the Workhorse chassis and maybe a bit better. I started with 92# air pressure (heading into colder weather for a few days) and will drop that back to 90 when we get to FL. Then hopefully closer to 85# once we get a four corner weigh. Once we get load evenly distributed and tires set for weight I am betting a some ride improvement. Rattles here and there, probably most are due to loading things wrong. First night sleeping with factory mattress and added two inch foam topper, just as good as home or the old rv's full memory foam, and that's per the queen of sleep comfort - DW. Storage has been more than adequate. We are loaded for a ten month trip and we still have some empty storage. Drop down bunk turns out to be good place for spare bedding.
And now the big complaint and major problem - Mr Thor are you listening? The rear end gas fill was tried and abandoned by other mfg's. Why did you decide to try again? I knew it would further limit the number of gas stations we could use - but what I din't think about was BIKES ON THE BACK! Just plain old fashioned bicycles. You took a good family floor plan and ruined it, after all, what family with kids won't be hauling some bikes? Good news for us on the first fill-up was the pump handle had a rotating joint between hose and handle. If not for that I would have had to unload both bikes just to buy gas. Absolutely - positively first place in 2015 dumb design awards. I promise to make it my personal crusade to warn all potential buys of the problem on IRV2.com and RV.net until the problem is fixed.
So, with only twenty-four hours of living and driving I can say the 37KT is passing all tests and expectations, EXCEPT for the stupid ass gas fill. Will add comments as we discover features and problems.

bigdaddy5120 12-19-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2350261)
Finally on the road for some real product testing. 37KT handling, compared to our old Workhorse chassis, not as good, steering is way more sensitive, requiring constant minor correction and I don't mean like needing alignment. Hoping that will smooth out as tires wear a bit. But it is still two finger driving if you really want to. Some steering correction required for passing trucks but not anything I would spend money to fix. Shifting under cruise control is probably about same as the Allison setup. So again I won't use cruise unless it's really flat and no overpasses. Might invest in Five Star or Brazel's engine tune to help with shifting before we hit any real mountains. Engine noise is fine until climbing, the high reving engine is something I am sure we will get used to. Ride comfort is on par with the Workhorse chassis and maybe a bit better. I started with 92# air pressure (heading into colder weather for a few days) and will drop that back to 90 when we get to FL. Then hopefully closer to 85# once we get a four corner weigh. Once we get load evenly distributed and tires set for weight I am betting a some ride improvement. Rattles here and there, probably most are due to loading things wrong. First night sleeping with factory mattress and added two inch foam topper, just as good as home or the old rv's full memory foam, and that's per the queen of sleep comfort - DW. Storage has been more than adequate. We are loaded for a ten month trip and we still have some empty storage. Drop down bunk turns out to be good place for spare bedding.
And now the big complaint and major problem - Mr Thor are you listening? The rear end gas fill was tried and abandoned by other mfg's. Why did you decide to try again? I knew it would further limit the number of gas stations we could use - but what I din't think about was BIKES ON THE BACK! Just plain old fashioned bicycles. You took a good family floor plan and ruined it, after all, what family with kids won't be hauling some bikes? Good news for us on the first fill-up was the pump handle had a rotating joint between hose and handle. If not for that I would have had to unload both bikes just to buy gas. Absolutely - positively first place in 2015 dumb design awards. I promise to make it my personal crusade to warn all potential buys of the problem on IRV2.com and RV.net until the problem is fixed.
So, with only twenty-four hours of living and driving I can say the 37KT is passing all tests and expectations, EXCEPT for the stupid ass gas fill. Will add comments as we discover features and problems.

Be safe and keep us posted. I didn't know the 2015 fills from the rear, mine is on the driver side on my 2014. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. I will be posting some pic of my planned mods next week once I complete them.

tedgard01 12-19-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

... - but what I din't think about was BIKES ON THE BACK! Just plain old fashioned bicycles....

We simply put the bikes on the toad. Works better for us anyway because we generally want to use the bikes after going somewhere in the car anyway. Another option may be a bike rack that firs on the ladder.

Ted

ctpres 12-20-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2350767)
We simply put the bikes on the toad. Works better for us anyway because we generally want to use the bikes after going somewhere in the car anyway. Another option may be a bike rack that firs on the ladder.

Ted

Would like to do that but - bike cover won't stand up to much higher air turbulence, in fact cover warranty void if used other than behind RV. Also covered bikes block plate and lights. Biggest reason for not making long trips with bikes on toad - I am scared to death about having close to four thousand bucks hanging on the end of our train, on coach they have much better protection. I think I can solve the problem with a hitch extension. Just need to park somewhere long enough to get Amazon Prime service.

sbleiweiss 12-20-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

I agree completely about the fill port location. I found it immediately incredible as soon as I saw it at the dealer on the 2014.5. He was all excited about what an improvement it was. Supposedly it allows you to fill from either side. Well, duh, if that was the goal why isn't it in the middle?
I haven't found it as big a problem as I thought I would, but you certainly do take up the entire gas island, even in a three pump configuration. And forget about any one pump island unless there is a lot of open space front or back. I don't carry bikes, but understand how that would make it even worse. Talk about fixing a non-problem!

sbleiweiss 12-20-2014 11:00 AM

Update on sewer hoses left open and connected - We have been camping in Redwood City CA now for three weeks. Our experiment to leave the gray water tank open and connected to the sewer 24/7 seems to be a success. I have to dump much less frequently. We use a lot of water so the gray tank was our achilles heel. Now we can go 3-4 days between black water dumps and don't have to worry about how much gray water we generate either. As to the concern about the tank and sensors drying out and gunking up, I am not sure I understand the gunking up part. Sure, it will probably dry out, but it does that when the motorhome is parked in storage anyway. I don't know how much splashing there is in the tank, but I doubt that much even gets on the sensors. At least no detected problems so far. I am comfortable with the water from the 3 minute black water tank rinse to clear the sewer line, and the 37KT has a second gray tank for the washing machine too, so I also have that rinse available. Nice and soapy too.

camaromance 12-20-2014 11:27 AM

Can anyone tell me if the 2014 37kt came with a hot water heater bypass valve and where it is? I reviewed some previous posts and it looked like some have confused the filter bypass with the hot water bypass. I'm still using mine but plan to winterize after the Christmas holiday.

bigdaddy5120 12-20-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 2351280)
Can anyone tell me if the 2014 37kt came with a hot water heater bypass valve and where it is? I reviewed some previous posts and it looked like some have confused the filter bypass with the hot water bypass. I'm still using mine but plan to winterize after the Christmas holiday.

Mine is under the kitchen sink behind a removal able panel. Dumb place to put it .

bigdaddy5120 12-20-2014 12:24 PM

Jensen dash radio JRV212T , did your come with a remote ? I have one for TV's and outside radio but nothing for the dash. I found this JENSEN Credit Card Remote for JENSEN Heavy Duty Stereos

It says it will work. It would be nice to have this, so the wife can operate the radio while we are driving.

camaromance 12-20-2014 01:43 PM

Hey thanks. I'll look for it.

camaromance 12-20-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2351337)
Jensen dash radio JRV212T , did your come with a remote ? I have one for TV's and outside radio but nothing for the dash. I found this JENSEN Credit Card Remote for JENSEN Heavy Duty Stereos

It says it will work. It would be nice to have this, so the wife can operate the radio while we are driving.

I looked into getting that but, after talking with a Jensen rep, he said it would not work. I have the same radio as you.

okiefrank 12-20-2014 11:15 PM

I have the same radio in my 2013 GT37 and the remote I got on line works
fine..

ctpres 12-21-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Yes - ours came with a credit card size remote. Number on the back "0507N01306" Rev A. Can post pic if it will help. BTW ours not same button configuration as one shown in link. Six rows of four buttons.

bigdaddy5120 12-21-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2352173)
Yes - ours came with a credit card size remote. Number on the back "0507N01306" Rev A. Can post pic if it will help. BTW ours not same button configuration as one shown in link. Six rows of four buttons.

Thanks , I have a email into ASA about the remote since I have been told on here that it won't/will work. If I don't get a response this week I will call them. The remote is only 16.00 but don't want to waste the money if it won't work.

bigdaddy5120 12-21-2014 05:57 PM

I have a Rand Mcnally 7 inch GPS and have been struggling to find a place to mount this thing where it doesn't obstruct my view in the mirrors or windshield.

Has anyone tried one of these mounts in one of the cup holders ? I am thinking putting it in the cub holder to the right of the pilot chair.
Amazon.com: Universal Vehicle Cup Holder Adapter w/ Suction Mount Surface & Adjustable Base for Arkon , Bracketron , Garmin , Skiva , Sunpak , Midland mounts & more to hold GPS / Smartphones / Tablets / Radar Detectors / MP3 Players & more: Cell Phon

Universal Vehicle Cup Holder Mount Adapter w/ 3.5″ 90mm Suction Mount Surface & Adjustable Base for All Standard Suction Mount such as Arkon ChargerCity Garmin Nuvi Magellan Roadmate TomTom XL XXL VIA Start GPS mounts & more to hold Smartphones

jclarkfork 12-21-2014 07:55 PM

Can anyone tell me the location of the Electrical breaker box for the coaches 110v electrical system on the 2013 Challenger 37KT? I am not close to the MOHO and need to tell the people watching it where they are located.
Tks

bigdaddy5120 12-22-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclarkfork (Post 2352907)
Can anyone tell me the location of the Electrical breaker box for the coaches 110v electrical system on the 2013 Challenger 37KT? I am not close to the MOHO and need to tell the people watching it where they are located.
Tks

On my 2014 it is on the right side if the bed frame .

ctpres 12-22-2014 08:16 AM

Rear gas fill hint

Small help to fueling - just discovered you can begin to see gas pump in rear view camera when it is right position for fueling.

jclarkfork 12-22-2014 09:30 AM

tks Bigdaddy

bigdaddy5120 12-22-2014 10:02 AM

Cockpit speaker Project , completed this today with with some Polk Audio home theater speakers I had collecting dust in the closet. I got tired of having to blast the radio to hear it while traveling since they are behind you. I added (4) speakers . The wire color (from ceiling speakers) for the front speakers are gray for left front and white for right front. I also faded out the rear (bedroom speakers ).
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...94f7193e2c.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...e1f0b73f38.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...1999239053.jpg

bigdaddy5120 12-22-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

This is the info I got from ASA about the remote.

Thank you for contacting ASA Electronics. The REMJHD10CC will perform the basic functions for the JRV212T radio. I have attached an information sheet that explains which functions on the remote are compatible with the JRV212T. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you today!

Technical Service, ASA Electronics
Geno Pequeno
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...44204a2611.jpg

bigdaddy5120 12-22-2014 12:23 PM

Finished installing a VIZIO soundbar in the bedroom. I can now here the TV with the AC on.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...57337f6df3.jpg

rvbunz 12-22-2014 03:07 PM

bigdaddy,
How did you fade out the bedroom speaker?

bigdaddy5120 12-22-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 2353677)
bigdaddy,
How did you fade out the bedroom speaker?

Hold the audio button until the hidden screen comes on , then fade the sound all to the front. You can also adjust the bass,treble and balance there also.

ctpres 12-23-2014 07:06 AM

Hint

Whirlpool frig temp up and freezer ok. No air circulation. Service tech showed up in less than three hours but didn't have correct part (we are in the middle of nowhere MS.) He manually started fan and it is still running. In emergency it might be an easy fix. Empty freezer and remove bottom air grill first and then center fan cover. Just give fan blade a spin and see what happens. Once we get past Christmas we will get it properly fixed.

bigdaddy5120 12-23-2014 11:05 AM

I completed the last of my mods this week. Hose to put fresh clean water in Black/Gray tanks after flushing ( 1/3 full in both ) . This mod means no more trips outside with 5 gallon bucket. The mod has a shutoff valve for when it's not in use.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...8fd3637b6b.jpg

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...8b55908fef.jpg

bigdaddy5120 12-23-2014 11:09 AM

Here is an old mod I done , thought I would share .

Removed the kitchen table and chairs (put in storage) . We never used them and wanted the room for something new. The wife wanted more counter space , so I added a cabinet with a butcher block, now we have more storage and more counter space .

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...f40ee69ec1.jpg

jkcruzer1 12-23-2014 03:20 PM

bigdaddy5120,
What are the two electrical switches hanging down near the windshield shades that I saw on your photobucket pics?

bigdaddy5120 12-23-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkcruzer1 (Post 2354910)
bigdaddy5120,
What are the two electrical switches hanging down near the windshield shades that I saw on your photobucket pics?

I was told they are used to program the shades.

ctpres 12-23-2014 05:26 PM

Did You Know?

Jensen dash radio JRV212T has a built-in weather radio. Play with menu a bit and set for automatic announcements and enough vol. to wake you up. Went off two times today - both times to close for comfort. First was thunderstorms, tornados, high winds and hail in Hattiesbug MS., and then tornado and storm warnings near Birmingham, AL. Had a small handheld for three years and don't recall it ever going off for emergency weather. Hey it's free - use it and be safe.

bigdaddy5120 12-23-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2355026)
Jensen dash radio JRV212T has a built-in weather radio. Play with menu a bit and set for automatic announcements and enough vol. to wake you up. Went off two times today - both times to close for comfort. First was thunderstorms, tornados, high winds and hail in Hattiesbug MS., and then tornado and storm warnings near Birmingham, AL. Had a small handheld for three years and don't recall it ever going off for emergency weather. Hey it's free - use it and be safe.

Thanks ! I knew you could listen to weather radio on it but I didn't know it would it would alert you for severe weather . I will check into that.

ctpres 12-24-2014 08:10 AM

Lesson learned

Learning to live with technology of our new KT has been a real challenge. Yesterday evening we were relaxing with TV and some wine. Dark out so all privacy shades down and lots of lights on. DW announces "three of my holiday lights are out. It can wait till tomorrow." I know better than - wait till tomorrow. First one I checked switch off! The other two had no switches but were on same AC circuit. OK check breaker - looks good but turned off and on again just to be sure - still no light. OK tool and meter time. No power to breaker and no power on line in hum, meter bad, went outside to get spare meter and saw my problem. It was dark, park power failure. Inverters are wonderful - just don't forget they run on batteries! I just turned inverter off to conserve batteries and we went to bed early.

rvbunz 12-24-2014 09:14 AM

Boy Bigdaddy, you have been busy changing that coach. I have a DT and am thinking of taking the U Shaped Dinette out and putting in a counter with slide out table.

bigdaddy5120 12-24-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 2355622)
Boy Bigdaddy, you have been busy changing that coach. I have a DT and am thinking of taking the U Shaped Dinette out and putting in a counter with slide out table.

I have had these mods planned for a while , every time we stay in it for 4 or 5 days , I come up with something new I want to improve. So I took off work this week and decided to get some of them done for next season. I guess until I get rich and buy the MH I truly want #9503 - 2015 Entegra Coach Anthem 42DEQ 450HP, Mobile Eye, 12.5 Onan & iPad for sale in Alvarado TX

I will keep modding this one :) , all kidding aside I really like my chllenger but I like the Entegra better but I'm sure I would mod it also :)

bigdaddy5120 12-24-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

I can confirm this remote works with the Jensen JRV212T, I received mine in the mail today.

tedgard01 12-24-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2356069)
I can confirm this remote works with the Jensen JRV212T, I received mine in the mail today.

Good to know. Thanks!

Ted

tedgard01 12-24-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2354628)
I completed the last of my mods this week. Hose to put fresh clean water in Black/Gray tanks after flushing ( 1/3 full in both ) . This mod means no more trips outside with 5 gallon bucket. The mod has a shutoff valve for when it's not in use.

Not sure I understand the need for this mod. Can you give me the reasoning?

After I flush the tank, I simply hook up the hose to the tank clean out that came with the coach, and spray enough water until it has been thoroughly cleaned.

Ted

bigdaddy5120 12-24-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2356092)
Not sure I understand the need for this mod. Can you give me the reasoning?

After I flush the tank, I simply hook up the hose to the tank clean out that came with the coach, and spray enough water until it has been thoroughly cleaned.

Ted

I too use to do that with my 5th wheel , but Challenger has a warning not to use the clean out with the valve closed, and using the toilet takes too long to add enough to get a 1/3 full. So I make this the last thing I do before I leave . This might not work for everyone but it will me . It will enable me to put all the stuff in my tanks prior to leaving along with the water. I had issue with the black tank smelling with with my 5th wheel so I ask the guy (a fulltimer) during my PDI what I could do to keep this from happening on the challenger. He suggested to add a cup of dawn, (2) cascade gel packs (water softener) along with it filled to 1/3 full of clean water for both tanks. I have done this for over a year and no problems with the tanks smelling.

tedgard01 12-24-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2356155)
I too use to do that with my 5th wheel , but Challenger has a warning not to use the clean out with the valve closed, and using the toilet takes too long to add enough to get a 1/3 full. So I make this the last thing I do before I leave . This might not work for everyone but it will me . It will enable me to put all the stuff in my tanks prior to leaving along with the water. I had issue with the black tank smelling with with my 5th wheel so I ask the guy (a fulltimer) during my PDI what I could do to keep this from happening on the challenger. He suggested to add a cup of dawn, (2) cascade gel packs (water softener) along with it filled to 1/3 full of clean water for both tanks. I have done this for over a year and no problems with the tanks smelling.

I see. Thank you for the info.

Ted

AKJohn 12-25-2014 10:35 AM

I think Thor warns against using the built in black tank flush system with the valve closed because the are afraid someone will walk away from their MH with the water on and overfill the black tank. I partially fill and flush my black tank (by closing the drain valve) every time I dump my tanks. It doesn't hurt anything and works well.

To thoroughly clean the black or grey tank, especially when the tank level sensors stop working, I fill the tank about 1/4 with fresh water. Then while the tank is still filling I put in about half a cup of liquid automatic dishwasher soap and continue filling with fresh water to about 1/2 capacity. If the tank level sensors are not working it is guess work for the grey tank. With the black tank I can look down the toilet with a flash light and see how much water is going in the tank. After driving the MH for a few hours and letting the soap slosh around, I dump the tanks on arrival at my destination. It cleans the tanks and the level sensors work again. I've also done this with regular dish soap, but the automatic dishwasher soap is formulated to wash with less suds. I've never had any soap bubbles coming out of my rooftop tank vents using the dish soap but I suppose it could happen. I don't want to take a chance.

ctpres 12-25-2014 12:10 PM

KT Zone heating

Our first encounter with cold weather, but still above freezing. Gave us a chance to test different heating systems and learn how to live in colder climes. Gas furnace did about as expected - keep wet bay temp up a little, too much air moving in bathroom and not enough in front cabin area. Still livable. Fireplace and two 1,500 watt space heaters proved to be more than enough in mid thirty's temps. Best of all so far is ability to independently heat: bedroom and bathroom, front bedroom/TV room or kitchen, dine and bathroom. We just closed doors and set heater for that area only for our comfort. Loving our KT.

bigdaddy5120 12-25-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2356886)
Our first encounter with cold weather, but still above freezing. Gave us a chance to test different heating systems and learn how to live in colder climes. Gas furnace did about as expected - keep wet bay temp up a little, too much air moving in bathroom and not enough in front cabin area. Still livable. Fireplace and two 1,500 watt space heaters proved to be more than enough in mid thirty's temps. Best of all so far is ability to independently heat: bedroom and bathroom, front bedroom/TV room or kitchen, dine and bathroom. We just closed doors and set heater for that area only for our comfort. Loving our KT.

I have stayed in temps in the mid to upper 20's and the furnace never turn on with it set on 65. I use the fireplace and (2) 1,500 watt space heaters.
I still have a 3/4 tank of propane that came in challenger when I bought it in 2013. We stay in Tuscaloosa,AL until the end of November every year for football.

tedgard01 12-25-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2356886)

Here is a tip from one of my earlier posts;

I found that if you have the heater on, the bed room is much warmer than the rest of the coach. I found a cheep solution that helps to regulate the heat, and push more up to the front of the coach.

I took off the vent in the bedroom and took one of the flat (but concave) sink strainers (picked it up at Lowe's or Home Depot) and duct taped it into the inside of the vent. Then I put duct tape over more than half of the holes in the sink strainer. After replacing the vent, it now pushes more heat up front which makes the heat more even throughout the coach.

Ted

ctpres 12-26-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2357237)
Here is a tip from one of my earlier posts;
I took off the vent in the bedroom and took one of the flat (but concave) sink strainers (picked it up at Lowe's or Home Depot) and duct taped it into the inside of the vent. Then I put duct tape over more than half of the holes in the sink strainer. After replacing the vent, it now pushes more heat up front which makes the heat more even throughout the coach.
Ted

Sounds like you have a round vent in bedroom, if so it must be on a vertical surface. We all have the same basic floor plan but I am beginning to see big differences in the way appliances and hardware are located. Not asking for a picture here but I think we all should use more with our mods and questions.
I read furnace manual and have been reluctant to block any vent to force air to another area. Manual is quite specific as to venting and intake in sq in. In fact our furnace seems to be improperly installed according to specifications. If I ever get around to figuring out how to measure duct pressure I might look into moding the vent system. When I was cleaning up the flex duct under sink I found four hot air outlets from the furnace: wet bay, bathroom, kitchen and floor. The wet bay probably receives less air as it is a sealed box. The floor duct with two outlets has the biggest areas to heat yet it has the same amount of air as the bathroom! My idea right now is to remove bathroom vent, reroute that duct to frig wall facing front bedroom and turn bathroom vent space into a drawer. Other than building drawer and matching drawer front to existing - it really is a easy job. Other options might be to add another outlet to furnace for the front or reroute basement duct to front and heat basement with electric.
Since our long range travel plans do not include cold weather, I think this project will be on the back burner for a long time.

tedgard01 12-26-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2357420)
Sounds like you have a round vent in bedroom, if so it must be on a vertical surface...

The wet bay probably receives less air as it is a sealed box.....

Yes, the bedroom vent is a round vent, on the bottom of the wall that is the inside wall of the washer/dryer closet. This mod worked great for us as the temp in the front of the coach is the same as the back now, but you are correct that your solution may need a different set up.

In regard to the wet bay's, even though there is a heater vent going to the wet bay, I was concerned what temp they are when in cold weather. Luckily our temps are not that bad here in the winter for the most part. At night we can drop to freezing, but most of the time we don't have temps below 27 deg, occasionally lower. By the way, my coach is parked next to my house and plugged into a 50 amp box when at home.

I went to Lowe's and picked up two remote thermostats, one for the fresh water bay (passenger side) and the other for the city water hook up bay (driver's side). They were about $15 each. They transmit up to about 150 feet. I can then monitor what the heat is from inside the house to see what the temp is in the separate water bay's any time.

When the heater inside the coach is set to 60 degrees and the outside temp drops down to 27 degrees the wet bays are at 40 degrees in both bays. Therefore, when we have cold weather, I keep my heater on at about 63 degrees just to be sure.

As we us our coach throughout the winter months, this allows me to take off at any time with out having to winterize and de-winterize.

Ted

LyonsL 12-26-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2357136)
I have stayed in temps in the mid to upper 20's and the furnace never turn on with it set on 65. I use the fireplace and (2) 1,500 watt space heaters.
I still have a 3/4 tank of propane that came in challenger when I bought it in 2013. We stay in Tuscaloosa,AL until the end of November every year for football.

bigdaddy5120 or ctpres,
I got the optional dual pane windows when I ordered our coach. Do either of you have the dual pane windows? If so or if not, do you think they help in the colder weather?
We had reservations to winter in Florida this year but had to cancel do to unexpected family health problems and won't be able to test out our coach until spring. Just wondering if the dual pane windows are a good investment.

bigdaddy5120 12-26-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2358028)
bigdaddy5120 or ctpres,
I got the optional dual pane windows when I ordered our coach. Do either of you have the dual pane windows? If so or if not, do you think they help in the colder weather?
We had reservations to winter in Florida this year but had to cancel do to unexpected family health problems and won't be able to test out our coach until spring. Just wondering if the dual pane windows are a good investment.

I don't have Dual Pane Windows so I can't say they would be worth the 1400 extra or not but I would have gotten them if I could. Down south you have to special order the coach with them. None of the CW around me had a challenger with them when I bought mine in the summer of 2013.

jkcruzer1 12-26-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

bigdaddy5120 or ctpres,

I have the dual pane windows and it is somewhat more comfortable in cold weather and a little quieter with them.

sbleiweiss 12-27-2014 10:43 AM

Responding to various discussions, mostly about heat. For those of you that use electric space heaters do you use ordinary residential ones or special RV ones? We blew a breaker with an ordinary one while on 110 power (20 amp). Are they fine on 50 amp?

Our KT bedroom has a floor register, and the bedroom gets noticably less heat than the bathroom and kitchen. I replaced the round bathroom register with one that is adjustable, adjusted down about 3/4, and have had no problem. Bathroom is right temperature now. Bedroom still gets less. Kitchen heats too quickly and shuts the whole furnace off because the thermostat on wall is right above the wall register. The thermostat will heat up several degrees in just minutes, without much heat going to other parts of the coach. I plan to get a directional adjustable register for that kitchen spot and send the heat more toward the living room area. I think the system will run longer each time and also warm the living room more.

We don't have dual pane windows either.

We'd be lost without the fireplace heat supplement for the front of the coach.

ctpres 12-27-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

bigdaddy5120 or ctpres,

Somehow ours came with dual pane only at the big dine window. Is much more comfortable sitting at table than anywhere near single pane front windows. Other than high probability of seal failure, in the long run, I think dual pane is best.

bigdaddy5120 12-27-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2358743)
Responding to various discussions, mostly about heat. For those of you that use electric space heaters do you use ordinary residential ones or special RV ones? We blew a breaker with an ordinary one while on 110 power (20 amp). Are they fine on 50 amp?

Our KT bedroom has a floor register, and the bedroom gets noticably less heat than the bathroom and kitchen. I replaced the round bathroom register with one that is adjustable, adjusted down about 3/4, and have had no problem. Bathroom is right temperature now. Bedroom still gets less. Kitchen heats too quickly and shuts the whole furnace off because the thermostat on wall is right above the wall register. The thermostat will heat up several degrees in just minutes, without much heat going to other parts of the coach. I plan to get a directional adjustable register for that kitchen spot and send the heat more toward the living room area. I think the system will run longer each time and also warm the living room more.

We don't have dual pane windows either.

We'd be lost without the fireplace heat supplement for the front of the coach.

Just regular ceramic space heaters. I don't have a problem popping the breakers while on 50 amp as long as they are on different circuits . I use the outlet below the kitchen TV for one heater and the outlet beside the entry steps for other . You can also use the outlet upfront by passenger seat. While on 30 amp at home I can't run 2 space and fireplace together but I can 2 of them . I done this last week while working on my mods.

LyonsL 12-27-2014 04:41 PM

Dual Pane Windows & Heat

Thanks for all of the replies concerning the dual pane windows. Our previous coach did not have them and it was cool and drafty on very cold mornings. We used the furnace, two space heaters and kept the window shades closed to help keep it warm.

With the exception of the windshield, the 2015 KT has frameless windows and we're hoping those and the dual panes help keep it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Time will tell if it's an improvement or ends up being a nightmare!

We've only taken two short trips with the new KT and have noticed that it rides very quiet compared to our old coach. No rattles or wind noise from the front side windows. Can't wait to use it more next year!

bigdaddy5120 12-27-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2359164)
No rattles or wind noise from the front side windows.

I have single pane and the front rattles like crazy but I put some weather stripping in the channels and it cut most of it out. I would like to upgrade these at some point . I really like the frameless windows but they didn't have them on my 2014.

Hope you get to enjoy many trips next season , we really love our KT !!

ctpres 12-27-2014 07:07 PM

DIY roof satellite

Anybody install your own on a newer Challenger? Was Thor roof cable location info right? Was there 12v wire with coax on roof? Am looking at Winegard G2.

ctpres 12-27-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2358805)
You can also use the outlet upfront by passenger seat.

You need to check and be sure that outlet isn't on the inverter - ours is. Would suck batteries dry in nothing flat if there was a power failure. On my list of mods is an outlet, on dedicated breaker, on forward side side frig wall just for heater. Running wire should be relatively easy in the KT.

bigdaddy5120 12-27-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2359370)
You need to check and be sure that outlet isn't on the inverter - ours is. Would suck batteries dry in nothing flat if there was a power failure. On my list of mods is an outlet, on dedicated breaker, on forward side side frig wall just for heater. Running wire should be relatively easy in the KT.

You are correct it is on the inverter, I keep the inverter off while hooked to shore power. I would really like to see your mod for the heater outlet.

bigdaddy5120 12-28-2014 11:04 AM

I completed my last MOD's for a while, out of money and idea's :) I installed my RV quick shades to the driver and passenger windows . I trimmed these to fit. These install in less than minute and match the front auto sun shade perfectly .

Here is link to where I bought them and the size, they were 91.00 with shipping. RV Shades Pilot Co-Pilot Kit 48x42
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...680416517b.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...8d6a24a9bb.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...433f006014.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...274493f63b.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...ce6f73390e.jpg

bigdaddy5120 12-28-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1487893)
You guys are a great bunch. I look forward to seeing what you have to say each day or so. I also like that you donít get your panties in a bunch when you get an opinion that may differ from your own. It truly is the least painful way to learn. If you feel I'm jacking something up, I expect you to say so. Thanks again for all the great discussions.

With that being said, my next mod is the LED lights across the awnings. I recently went to the RV show in Baltimore and the new thing is LED's. I'm not so big on that but, the one mod I did see is the permanent white LEDs lengthwise across the awning tube. The kit was stupid expensive and because I'm a cheap, I found all the supplies to make my own at a tenth of the cost. If youíre interested, let me now and Iíll get enough for a few kits, work out the bugs and send them to you.

Did you ever complete this mod or anyone else ? I would like to mount the awning LED's just under the awning , this way I could use the lights whether awning was deployed or not.

rvbunz 12-28-2014 06:07 PM

Bigdaddy, curious, where are you located? I'd like to see your mods. You have been busy. Maybe you could attend the TMCOC rally in May and show off your mods.

bigdaddy5120 12-28-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 2360636)
Bigdaddy, curious, where are you located? I'd like to see your mods. You have been busy. Maybe you could attend the TMCOC rally in May and show off your mods.

I'm in Elkmont , Alabama ( North Alabama about 100 miles south of Nashville) . If your ever in the area , LMK I would love to meet some of you fine folks . I wish I could make the trip but there is no way with work. I wish I could be there, I bet it will be allot of fun.

The Challenger is my tinker project , I love make it better for me and my family. This site is great for all of us to come together and share some great ideas. The things I have done recently, I have been planning all year to do, finally got time around the holidays to get some projects completed.

Take care !!! Everyone keep the mods coming in !!! I hope everyone has a blessed 2015 !!

ctpres 12-30-2014 06:49 AM

Punch List

After 1,500 mile shake down cruise we pulled into our favorite service center - Alliance Coach, Wildwood, FL For a week or more of quality service and to get a Winegard X2 installed on the roof. Will report on work done or not done and why. Three days spent on the road since 12/18 were in the rain and the one problem that must be fixed, a small roof leak.

LyonsL 12-30-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2360080)
I completed my last MOD's for a while, out of money and idea's :) I installed my RV quick shades to the driver and passenger windows . I trimmed these to fit. These install in less than minute and match the front auto sun shade perfectly .

Here is link to where I bought them and the size, they were 91.00 with shipping. RV Shades Pilot Co-Pilot Kit 48x42
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...ce6f73390e.jpg

I thought about replacing the factory curtains and installing dual shades but found that wouldn't work because of the shape of the side windows. The wife made new curtains but that didn't solve the lack of day shades issue. Your mod is the perfect answer for us. Thanks for sharing!

bigdaddy5120 12-30-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2362722)
I thought about replacing the factory curtains and installing dual shades but found that wouldn't work because of the shape of the side windows. The wife made new curtains but that didn't solve the lack of day shades issue. Your mod is the perfect answer for us. Thanks for sharing!

Glad it was some help. You might want to look at these flip shades , I would have bought them but I didn't find out about them until I had already odered the quick shades.Products | Magne Shade | UV Fabrics, Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Sun Shade
Side Window curtains :
I am thinking of borrowing the idea I found in the Palazzo mod thread about making a filler piece for the angled windows and installing a pull down shades. The shape of side windows are wider at the bottom than the top thus making it impossable to to install a pull down shade to cover the entire window without a filler. Any thoughts on this ? Here is a link to Palazzo mod thread : https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/pala...ml#post1937424