iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

camato5 02-02-2015 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2407607)
We are considering replacing the factory sofa in our 37KT with a double recliner with a center consol. Something similar to this:

Flexsteel 1262 Theater Seating - Theater Seating

Has anyone else done this and if so do you have any recommendations?

As long as you don't need the sleeping space (if your present sofa has a sleeper) then I cant see a problem. You may want to check to see how the sofa is secured to the floor and be sure you can cover up those anchor points or use the same,
Good luck pretty recliners

sbleiweiss 02-02-2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2407607)
We are considering replacing the factory sofa in our 37KT with a double recliner with a center consol. Something similar to this:

Flexsteel 1262 Theater Seating - Theater Seating

Has anyone else done this and if so do you have any recommendations?

Nice look. I would make sure that there is room for the backs to recline fully. Might mean having to put recliners farther forward on floor, and that might mean a narrower opening when slides are in.

LyonsL 02-02-2015 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camato5 (Post 2407976)
As long as you don't need the sleeping space (if your present sofa has a sleeper) then I cant see a problem. You may want to check to see how the sofa is secured to the floor and be sure you can cover up those anchor points or use the same,
Good luck pretty recliners

Our present sofa does have a sleeper but we don't believe we will ever use it. We plan to live in our coach 5 or 6 months during the year and we're looking at ways to make it as comfortable as possible for the two of us. The double recliner does mount to the floor and it comes apart in smaller pieces to fit through a 22" door.

LyonsL 02-02-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2408029)
Nice look. I would make sure that there is room for the backs to recline fully. Might mean having to put recliners farther forward on floor, and that might mean a narrower opening when slides are in.

They're advertised as wall huggers and only sit 3" to 5-1/2" from the wall. It appears to have the same dimensions as our factory sofa so I don't believe there would be a problem. We're attending a rally in Goshen, IN in June so we might stop in Elkhart to check it out while we're there.

camato5 02-03-2015 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2408899)
Our present sofa does have a sleeper but we don't believe we will ever use it. We plan to live in our coach 5 or 6 months during the year and we're looking at ways to make it as comfortable as possible for the two of us. The double recliner does mount to the floor and it comes apart in smaller pieces to fit through a 22" door.

Then I say go for it, Its your MH and I think that would be a neat and rare look. Good luck, Send pic IF you decide to install them.

rvbunz 02-03-2015 05:05 PM

LysonsL, May I ask what rally you are attending in June at Goshen?

LyonsL 02-03-2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 2410251)
LysonsL, May I ask what rally you are attending in June at Goshen?

rvbunz, it's the Great Lakes Area Motor Coach Association annual rally. They're affiliated with FMCA. The rally is June 3 - June 7, 2015 at the Elkhart County 4-H Fairground. You can get more info here: GLAMARAMA RALLY

rvbunz 02-05-2015 07:43 PM

Rally

Thanks for the rally info

ctpres 02-06-2015 07:54 AM

Mother nature was playing yesterday

2 Attachment(s)
Pretty cool cloud formations right over our KT on the north end of lake Okeechobee, FL.

sbleiweiss 02-07-2015 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2413876)
Pretty cool cloud formations right over our KT on the north end of lake Okeechobee, FL.

I'm so jealous. We are stuck back in cold Chicago with snow on the ground and the KT in a garage. No trip likely until heading to Long Island in May. We missed half of the winter on a California trip, but it wasn't enough!

Chief2600 02-09-2015 01:16 PM

Can someone tell me if the awning on 2012 37dt challenger is adjustable. Unable to figure this one out.

rvbunz 02-10-2015 06:50 PM

You should be able to adjust. Look on the arms and you should see silver push tabs. While on a ladder, push the tab in and let the awning arm slide down. Be careful to place your hand as not to get caught as the arm slides down. I have mine adjusted to the lowest point. This gives me the biggest slope allow the most shade possible for this awning.

Hoegee 02-14-2015 11:30 AM

Planned reno for 2014 36fd

Have been thinking about adding macerator pumps, power cord reel, converting w/d space to pull out pantry, reworking bedroom cabinets to allow for full size queen. Will also be sanding and refishing all the ****** cabinetry.

Must say with all the poor workmanship we love the floor plan.

If we don't do our bedroom conversion any suggestions on where to find a non foam short queen.

ctpres 02-19-2015 12:25 PM

Thor Support

All to often we only hear bad news. How about this one: our video switcher/amplifier is failing. Two symptoms, turn on TV and no picture or pink tint background. Only way to fix is to turn switcher off and on until problem clears. Almost every time another TV is turned on same thing happens to both and same fix. PITA. Decided to try THOR website support. On Tuesday I reported good description of problem and requested a DIY replacement. Today I received this answer- "
We would be more than happy to send a new switcher to you. We will also send a UPS call tag via email to pick up the defective switcher.

We would expect 5-7 days to get the part to you."

Pretty hard to complain about that kind of service.

ctpres 02-19-2015 05:23 PM

Fire Extinguisher recall

Recent Challenger models probably have one of these. If your date code matches - filling out the form will get you a replacement. One for our early 2015 37KT is on the way. If you want to call - we used 855-283-7991.

https://kidde.inmar-event.com/Standar...?L=607&ac=&ar=

Kidde is urging people to check the 10-digit date code stamped on the side of the cylinder of the extinguisher. Date codes for recalled units manufactured in 2013 are "XXXX 20413 X" through "XXXX 36513 X." Recalled units in 2014 are "XXXX 00114 X" through "XXXX 28814 X."

Have a "safe & secure day" ctpres

ctpres 02-20-2015 07:41 AM

Do you have a kitchen night light?

Just found out the light over our kitchen sink has a double throw switch. Touch back end for full light, middle position is off and touch front end for night light. Still learning!

sbleiweiss 02-21-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2432888)
Just found out the light over our kitchen sink has a double throw switch. Touch back end for full light, middle position is off and touch front end for night light. Still learning!

We have that, but it's lower setting is still too bright for a nightlight (we think). the microwave has a low light setting too. But SWMBO still prefers to plug in an old fashion night light. Easier bulb to replace and can get ones that go on automatically with darkness.

ctpres 02-27-2015 07:41 AM

More mod's fixes and Upgrades

1 Attachment(s)
#54 Every time we have company - with everything being black they have a problem finding exit handle. Describing exit handle is equally difficult. Solution color it. I thought about different ways to change color and finally decided on 3/4" green heat shrink tubing. I now have enough for twenty or thirty Challengers with similar handles. If your near N. end of Lake Okeechobee, FL. stop by. It's free.

pfrost 03-03-2015 10:26 AM

ice maker water valve

Does anyone have a trick to get the drawer out so we can turn the water back on for the ice maker? It is located behind a drawer below the oven.
Thanks

rvbunz 03-03-2015 01:00 PM

pfrost, there should be tabs on the ends on the silver slides. One side you lift up and the other side pushes down, then the drawer will slide out. Call me if you can't figure it out @ 910-389-8865

LyonsL 03-03-2015 02:09 PM

Recalled Kidde Fire Extinguishers

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2432249)
Recent Challenger models probably have one of these. If your date code matches - filling out the form will get you a replacement. One for our early 2015 37KT is on the way. If you want to call - we used 855-283-7991.

Kidde Inmar-Recalls | Language selection

Have a "safe & secure day" ctpres

ctpres, thanks for the information! I checked mine and it's included in the recall. I filled out the online form and they are shipping a replacement to me.

sbleiweiss 03-04-2015 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2450319)
ctpres, thanks for the information! I checked mine and it's included in the recall. I filled out the online form and they are shipping a replacement to me.

No one ever accused me of being mechanical, but how do you disengage that black plastic strip the fire extinguisher sits in in order to get it out to read the serial number etc? I guess it is good I'm asking because of the recall and not needing it for a fire.Do I cut that thing?

TheMrB 03-04-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2451221)
No one ever accused me of being mechanical, but how do you disengage that black plastic strip the fire extinguisher sits in in order to get it out to read the serial number etc? I guess it is good I'm asking because of the recall and not needing it for a fire.Do I cut that thing?

I actually wondered the same thing. I don't have access right now but looked at it a week or so ago when I first heard about the recall. I didn't want to try and force it thinking I would break the strap and then would have to find some other way of mounting the fire extinguisher.

LyonsL 03-04-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2451221)

Just pull the tab outward on the black strap. It's a snug fit but it should release without breaking.

RVredneck 03-04-2015 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our challenger finally showed up to the dealer last week. I've been there 3 times to check it out. It looks like they listen to people's suggestions somewhat. The fridge has a decent locking mechanism on it. All the TVs are wired with HDMI. The bottom step is almost flush to the metal threshold.
Attachment 87763
Couple odd things. No gravity fill for water tank and there is 2 sewer connections. 1 for black and grey and another one for just grey. Could that be for washing machine??

TheMrB 03-05-2015 05:36 AM

I thought there was a gravity fill on the drivers side. There is a inlet there but maybe it's not gravity fill. Or the guy that did the walk through was wrong as to what that connection is for. Also, I guess they could have changed things. Sounds like the did if there is a separate black and grey tank connections. Ours is currently having PDI things done so I can't check.

AKJohn 03-05-2015 08:36 AM

My Challenger 36fd has two grey tanks and one black tank. I have two sewer connections. One connection is shared by the black and grey tanks in the center of the coach. Another separate connection is for the grey tank in the rear of the coach. The dealer thought the coach had two black tanks. Frankly I wasn't too impressed with the dealer orientation, it looked to me like it was his first time inside the coach. My low pressure water fill is on the passenger side behind a 6" x 6" locking door. So far the only time I've used the low pressure fill is when I'm disinfecting the water system. I use it to pour in the bleach/water mixture from a bucket. I had to get a funnel with a long hose to go into the fitting on the coach. I always fill the water tank with the high pressure water fill.

TheMrB 03-05-2015 08:55 AM

Yeah, that is what I was going to use the low pressure fill for also.

ctpres 03-05-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMrB (Post 2452402)
Yeah, that is what I was going to use the low pressure fill for also.

No need for the old style gravity water fill anymore. Use winterize position on multifunction water valve and suck right out of mixing container. Much easier.

TheMrB 03-05-2015 12:38 PM

Yes, for winterizing but for sanitizing you can't pull the solution in to the fresh water tank from what I've read.

ctpres 03-06-2015 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMrB (Post 2452723)
Yes, for winterizing but for sanitizing you can't pull the solution in to the fresh water tank from what I've read.

I have not got around to trying it yet. But this sure looks like it should work.

TheMrB 03-06-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2453767)
I have not got around to trying it yet. But this sure looks like it should work.

I saw that and it is what I based my statement on. I am thinking that the white areas of the picture are where water does not go when you have selected that setting. So for winterize/sanitize it appears like the water does not go to the tank. It goes to the red areas only. Like you I haven't tried it yet but probably will once it warms up enough here. I hope your right though. It would be easier to just stick a hose in a jug to sanitize also.

LyonsL 03-06-2015 10:39 AM

Sanitizing the fresh water tank & system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMrB (Post 2453836)
I saw that and it is what I based my statement on. I am thinking that the white areas of the picture are where water does not go when you have selected that setting. So for winterize/sanitize it appears like the water does not go to the tank. It goes to the red areas only. Like you I haven't tried it yet but probably will once it warms up enough here. I hope your right though. It would be easier to just stick a hose in a jug to sanitize also.

My previous coach did not have a gravity fill either. I hook up an empty water hose to the coach, pour a measured amount of bleach into the hose, connect the hose to an outside spigot of my house and then fill the fresh water tank as needed. (Of course you would do this without any water filters installed). Sanitizes the entire system with no problems.

sbleiweiss 03-07-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2452002)
Our challenger finally showed up to the dealer last week. I've been there 3 times to check it out. It looks like they listen to people's suggestions somewhat. The fridge has a decent locking mechanism on it. All the TVs are wired with HDMI. The bottom step is almost flush to the metal threshold.
Attachment 87763
Couple odd things. No gravity fill for water tank and there is 2 sewer connections. 1 for black and grey and another one for just grey. Could that be for washing machine??

Yes, front gray tank is washing machine only. I have tried and tried to get Thor or dealers to somehow connect the two gray tanks but with no luck. If you use the washer, the division makes no sense. I would love to redirect the kitchen sink into the front gray tank. The way Thor designed this makes sense for someone who doesn't put in a W/D, but is terrible for those that do. Such an inefficient use of 80 gallons of space.

ctpres 03-07-2015 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#55 Finally decided what to do with space under second entry step. Plenty of room for safe and roadside emergency tools. Just a little woodwork required to fit safe in. No bolts required as once all screws and step reinstalled there is no way to remove it without a lot of time and effort. Installation does not allow for complete opening of safe lid - but it opens far enough to access contents.

RVredneck 03-07-2015 07:26 PM

Finally picked up the KT and drive it home. The ride of the challenger is wayyy nicer than our old windsport. The dealer did a great job cleaning it up too. As we are packing it up for our trip south I've noticed a few things but nothing major. So far so good!!

RVredneck 03-07-2015 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 87987
Let the upgrades begin!!

ctpres 03-08-2015 08:19 AM

2015 37KT PDF Invenory

1 Attachment(s)
Started this PDF/searchable KT inventory. Basement bin numbers start with B1 - 1st one aft of door and go clockwise. Eventually I will add a lot of the stowed items. Might help those with newer versions. Created with Open Office as a spreadsheet and used PDF export feature. For example - time to winterize? Just search for word winterize. Easy!

ajfarmer 03-10-2015 12:08 PM

New Thor Challenger Owners

Hello all. My wife and I took delivery of our shiny new 2015 Thor Challenger 37GT yesterday! :dance:

I wanted to say that among other things, this thread helped us with our decision on the purchase. There are many posts out there complaining of Thor quality issues which originally caused us to rule out Thor products. This thread caused us to give Thor another look, and so far I am glad with our decision! No major issues found - of course we are only about 24 hours in at this point. :)

This is our first gas motorhome, coming from a 42' 5th wheel and diesel dually. The drive home was smooth once I calmed the jitters and butterflies out of my stomach. The biggest deal for me was learning to keep in the lane and not drift over to the white line. I am also learning to make sharp turns earlier. I was so used to turning late and cutting hard with the long trailer. Not so with the motorhome! I almost got myself in trouble by turning too late one time and thought I would not make the cut! Also, coming from a diesel truck, I had reservations about a front gas powered motorhome but I can now say the power is awesome with the Ford V10 and the noise is not bad at all. It was actually reasonably quiet, considering. I thought I would share that experience for others that might be considering the same type of switch.

Now a question - does anyone else have a ~6FT section of ~2in black pipe hanging on the wall in the back compartment? It isn't hooked to anything. It's a straight section, open on both ends and held up with straps. It's almost like it could be used as a flagpole or extension pole for something, however the way it is attached it is not easy to take out. Is this spare pipe left in the coach for some reason? I can post a picture if you don't recognize what this is.

TheMrB 03-10-2015 12:36 PM

I have a new GT also and the black pipe doesn't sound like anything I've seen. A picture may be good to see. Is this in the bedroom.

ajfarmer 03-10-2015 12:45 PM

It's in the very back underneath storage bay.

TheMrB 03-10-2015 01:11 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

I haven't looked underneath the coach. Depending on what the diameter is, could it be for storing the sewer hose. I don't have access to mine at the moment so I can't check.

Ok, so I just re-read your question. A 2 inch pipe maybe could hold the sewer hose. I haven't seen anyone say that is there but I hope it's true if that is what it is.

TheMrB 03-10-2015 01:15 PM

On second thought a sewer hose is at least 3 inches. So maybe not that.

ajfarmer 03-10-2015 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's in the very rear passthrough storage bay (not underneath the coach).

I am attaching a picture. It's open on the other end too. Looks the same from the other side... Definitely a head scratcher! During the walkthrough, the tech was puzzled too and said it looks the same as the plumbing pipe and maybe it is extra?

If you guys don't have it in yours, I'm going to give Thor a call.

TheMrB 03-10-2015 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 88284
Here is a picture of mine. The pipe is there but a cable goes through it. So I'm not sure what it's for and why yours doesn't have one.

ajfarmer 03-10-2015 07:20 PM

Okay, that makes sense. Somewhere along the assembly line they add that pipe to protect cable. For whatever reason, you got the cable later down the line and I didn't. I noticed an access panel under the bed and it looks like your cable probably goes into the area of that panel.. I wonder if you have something inside that panel and I don't. Or maybe you have an option in the rear bedroom that I don't... Thanks for posting your picture.

TheMrB 03-10-2015 07:46 PM

Glad I could help some. I had forgot I had the picture from when I was checking out the bay's. Now I'm curious what this goes to.

AKJohn 03-11-2015 09:39 AM

I you really want a definitive answer, call Thor. You will find them very helpful, however you may have some wait time before you can talk to a tech.

ajfarmer 03-11-2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKJohn (Post 2460181)
I you really want a definitive answer, call Thor. You will find them very helpful, however you may have some wait time before you can talk to a tech.

Thanks. I submitted an online request with Thor about it. If I don't hear back in a few days I'll give them a call. I'll let you know what I find out.

RVredneck 03-11-2015 09:48 PM

We have a HDMI jack on the dash of our 2015 KT. Anybody know what it's for??

TheMrB 03-12-2015 05:12 AM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

You can plug in your phone, at least an iPhone don't know about any other, and the radio screen will mirror the phone screen.

Sunshiny 03-12-2015 07:53 PM

Challenger 37GT couch

We've had our 37GT for almost a year. and we love it, except for one thing. The footrest on the recliner on the end of the couch has a real problem. Trying to get the footrest to pop up when sitting on the couch is very difficult, almost impossible. When it does open up, and I want to close it, I have to sit on the floor and push it in with my feet, it's really that hard to get in. Then it pops back out whenever it wants to, sometimes when we're driving, sometimes for no reason at all. We've had Camping World "fix" it, and we recently took it to Thor. They said they changed the handle mechanism and it is operating the way it is supposed to. They didn't fix it, it still operates just like before. Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions? I told Thor I think it's going to hurt somebody popping out like that at any random time it wants to.

bdickson 03-12-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshiny (Post 2462349)
We've had our 37GT for almost a year. and we love it, except for one thing. The footrest on the recliner on the end of the couch has a real problem. Trying to get the footrest to pop up when sitting on the couch is very difficult, almost impossible. When it does open up, and I want to close it, I have to sit on the floor and push it in with my feet, it's really that hard to get in. Then it pops back out whenever it wants to, sometimes when we're driving, sometimes for no reason at all. We've had Camping World "fix" it, and we recently took it to Thor. They said they changed the handle mechanism and it is operating the way it is supposed to. They didn't fix it, it still operates just like before. Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions? I told Thor I think it's going to hurt somebody popping out like that at any random time it wants to.

Ours did pretty much the same. Thor worked on it when I was at the factory, but eventually the lever jammed altogether (fortunately in the closed position). For now we are just using a standalone footstool. I'm thinking of replacing the couch with a Lazy Boy.

TheMrB 03-12-2015 08:13 PM

I have the same issue on our GT. I thought it was very strange. When I picked it up I mentioned at an issue and was told if yo bring your feet up to the center of the foot rest, about where the bead is or a bit above, and put it down it will stay. Seems strange and a bit awkward, but it does work. I don't recall an issue putting it up though.

okiefrank 03-12-2015 11:54 PM

We have a 37GT and the recliner is a piece of work,, get the foot rest up and really hard to get back in,, By the way check your vanity cabinet doors catches, ours came open while I was driving, broke the bottom hinge, the door came off breaking the mirror, I finally got another hinge, had the mirror replaced and put additional latch on both vanities.

okiefrank 03-13-2015 12:36 AM

Bruce how many miles have you put on your 2013,, we have just over 9000, still like the floor plan..

ctpres 03-13-2015 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update to More mod's fixes and Upgrades page 113 post 1578. Final solution idea was provided by RV'n friend. Joyce was quick to suggest the spoon. All I had to do was find a suitable one. Looks great and everybody is happy.

bdickson 03-13-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 2462620)
Bruce how many miles have you put on your 2013,, we have just over 9000, still like the floor plan..

We have 12,000 on ours. There really isn't anything I don't like about it. I really do think the Challenger line is great value for money.

happycamperj 03-14-2015 08:06 AM

Modifying the wine rack in my Challenger 37gt

We really enjoy our new Challenger 37gt, but we think we could use the space in the kitchen cabinet where the built in wine rack is for additional storage. Has anybody removed the racks, and used the open space for a place to store things like bread, or cookies, or even utensils?

okiefrank 03-14-2015 11:18 PM

We haven't removed the wine rack yet, but my son is a cabinet maker and carpenter and he built roll out drawers in the space that was for the laundry, so the wine rack will probably be next.

Hoegee 03-15-2015 12:10 AM

Photo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 2465133)
We haven't removed the wine rack yet, but my son is a cabinet maker and carpenter and he built roll out drawers in the space that was for the laundry, so the wine rack will probably be next.

Our next project after re doing the bedroom wardrobe to accomdate a regular queen in our 36fd.

Could you post a photo of your cabinet

Thanks

happycamperj 03-16-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 2465133)

I was able to pull the front "facing" off of the wine rack cabinet, by pushing & tapping it from the back side. There is a small brad at each corner that holds it on. The cutouts where the bottom of the wine bottles would sit is held on by screws going through the underside of the cabinet. It looks like those may hold the wine glass holders on the underside of the cabinet, too. I did not remove that part because it could serve as a divider of he area. Could maybe put spice jars back there. A canister set could go in the front area, but would not be able to ride there in transit, unless a piece of wood was added on the front edge.

ctpres 03-24-2015 04:38 PM

Fresh air shortage

Our biggest design problem so far has been the new frameless windows and shortage of opening windows on street side. We run AC far more than necessary. So I am adding one more item to the "TO DO LIST." Unless I can figure out something better I am planning on one or two more ceiling vents. One in front and behind the existing airconditioners. With Fantastic fans in each, I figure we can get a big boost in air flow to make up for the whimpy openings in the frameless windows. Shame to waste the beautiful weather mother nature gives us.

sbleiweiss 03-25-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2479244)
Our biggest design problem so far has been the new frameless windows and shortage of opening windows on street side. We run AC far more than necessary. So I am adding one more item to the "TO DO LIST." Unless I can figure out something better I am planning on one or two more ceiling vents. One in front and behind the existing airconditioners. With Fantastic fans in each, I figure we can get a big boost in air flow to make up for the whimpy openings in the frameless windows. Shame to waste the beautiful weather mother nature gives us.

Are you running the existing fantastic fan on medium or high speed? I think that has enough capacity to pull what the windows can allow in, at least when you don't have the screen door open. BTW, the pre-frameless window challengers didn't allow any more air in than the current ones, so your focus on the frameless windows is misplaced. I agree that it would be nice to have windows that open more; maybe more like the sliders at the front.

mikensallyt 03-30-2015 12:38 AM

wow nice floor vents. guess I will have to get two of them. I would prefer to block them up since we do have a heater/fireplace. tks/Mikey

ctpres 04-01-2015 03:31 PM

Recall Fire Extinguisher

Arrived today and installed. Note: it came with a new mounting bracket an additional metal strap. I opted to use the metal strap vs the plastic as I think it is more intuitive as to how it operates. Plan to use the old one as a demo at the next campground with a fire pit. Invite all neighbors and learn first hand how they work - without the emergency.

rvbunz 04-02-2015 04:35 AM

Hello

Hello bdickson,
Haven't spoken to you in sometime. Glad you are still enjoying your challenger. Still loving ours. Have almost 21,000 miles on her. Down in Florida this week. Hope to run into you guys again. Thanks again for the water refill when you were in SC. Safe Travels.

Bob

sbleiweiss 04-02-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2491596)
Arrived today and installed. Note: it came with a new mounting bracket an additional metal strap. I opted to use the metal strap vs the plastic as I think it is more intuitive as to how it operates. Plan to use the old one as a demo at the next campground with a fire pit. Invite all neighbors and learn first hand how they work - without the emergency.

Please tell the rest of us once you figure it out. thanks.

ctpres 04-02-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2492642)
Please tell the rest of us once you figure it out. thanks.

What to figure out! Subject - Fire extinguisher recall - Replacement arrived and I talked about it. What is there to figure out? Sorry if it was not clear.

bigben 04-03-2015 05:27 AM

About to be new Challenger 37TB owner - help please.

I know this is a duplicate but I want to make sure I got all the help I can before the PDI.

I have read virtually every thread in the Challenger string. We are ready to take delivery of our new Challenger 37TB. Coming from a Georgetown 351. Had some problems but nothing major. One annoying issue was the TVs cable wiring. Always has been a problem. Basically reception in living room and bedroom was a problem. Bunks and outside was fine. Curious though that over the air antenna not a problem. Cable/satellite sucked so bad, wound up using a wireless hdmi transmitter/receiver.

So, as we get ready to take delivery. What are some of the experiences from other Challenger 37TB owners?

Really need this to make sure I focus my PDI.

Thanks in advance.

ctpres 04-03-2015 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#56 On delivery vertical rubber seals would not fully pull out on slide extension. I managed to train both front slide seals by manually pulling them out every time. After a month or two both front slides seals worked just fine, the main slide seal still wasn't right. Solution, one inch wide 3M Safety Walk. This is the same texture as the stuff used on your entry steps. Took maybe ten to fifteen minutes per side to clean surface and apply tape nice and straight. Now seal pulls out as it should every time. My finger is pointing at the new 3M tape and the seal is on the left.

sbleiweiss 04-03-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2493474)
What to figure out! Subject - Fire extinguisher recall - Replacement arrived and I talked about it. What is there to figure out? Sorry if it was not clear.

How the plastic and metal straps work.

ctpres 04-03-2015 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2494381)
How the plastic and metal straps work.

Already threw plastic straps away so can only show the new metal version that came with the replacement. Just looking at the two, I decided the metal strap provided a better visual on how to operate it. Fire emergency not best time to study things. PS - new strap is stainless. Hope the picture helps. Sorry camera not very good at closeup's. Pull tab on right and unhook on left. Once you get it in your hand it will make more sense. I suppose like a lot of things in the RV a good training program is worth the effort.

Gordon Dewald 04-03-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2479244)

You have probably already planned this but I suggest that if you can get reversing, water sensing fans on a thermostat you would be golden.

We have them on the 5er. Open both and have one blowing in and one blowing out to get the best ventilation. At night we turn the fan off on the one in the bedroom and set the thermostat on the one in the living room so it shuts off when the desired temp in the bedroom is met. Works very well.

sbleiweiss 04-04-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2494914)
Already threw plastic straps away so can only show the new metal version that came with the replacement. Just looking at the two, I decided the metal strap provided a better visual on how to operate it. Fire emergency not best time to study things. PS - new strap is stainless. Hope the picture helps. Sorry camera not very good at closeup's. Pull tab on right and unhook on left. Once you get it in your hand it will make more sense. I suppose like a lot of things in the RV a good training program is worth the effort.

Thanks.

RVredneck 04-05-2015 07:33 AM

Has anybody seen the new "3 trax" full wall slide system? Or does anyone have it on their unit. My large slide has the cable system and I'm not impressed yet.

bigben 04-05-2015 06:52 PM

Will this work on the 37tB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2463183)
Update to More mod's fixes and Upgrades page 113 post 1578. Final solution idea was provided by RV'n friend. Joyce was quick to suggest the spoon. All I had to do was find a suitable one. Looks great and everybody is happy.

The DW was concerned with how the stove cooktop would store. I saw this while looking for issues to check on our new 37TB we are picking up April 17. Will this work with our new 37TB?

ctpres 04-06-2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigben (Post 2498555)
The DW was concerned with how the stove cooktop would store. I saw this while looking for issues to check on our new 37TB we are picking up April 17. Will this work with our new 37TB?

No idea what counter top is like on TB but suspect it will work just fine. Stand front piece against wall with lip facing away from wall and rear section standing in front of it. Test by cooking with one or two rear burners to see if it gets warm - ours does not. Ours stays in place without the holder/spoon - just being safe with the spoon. NOT intended for traveling storage.

bigben 04-07-2015 08:33 AM

ctpres - many thanks. A couple of things that DW didn't like but this one had us both scratching our heads. Coming from a Georgetown 351 with bunks, we will be glad for the larger bedroom, washing machine and pantry. We travel a great deal with our grandkids and have wash frequently. This should ease that pain.

The countertop thing was making us both scratch our head until I saw the DIY Mod.

PS: With that signature, you or your DW served a number of years. Twenty two years Army here.

ctpres 04-10-2015 05:35 PM

#57 Parked for three months in FL and when getting ready to go steps came in and would not go back out right away, tap switch, wiggle wires etc. steps would finally come out. Same problem during the day off and on. Finally parked for the night and had time to figure it out. Wire was pinched by metal trim and eventually (due to vibrations from door opening and closing) it worked it's way thru insulation and wire. Short equal extend step and open equal retract step. Got lucky and found a burglar alarm switch in the basement that would work and now just waiting for silicon to cure. Wires to switch were easy to find, just lay on back and look up underneath near bottom rear corner of door. Just remember the new switch must OPEN when magnet is next to switch. Cheap, small, lightweight spare part.

ctpres 04-13-2015 04:34 PM

Challenger factory service visit 5/18/15

Two major items and twenty "fix me if you can please" items. One (basically a shower rebuild) is fixable and the other (buckled floor down center) is going to be a real "B" if I am right. This is our second RV to use Thor brand of factory service. First visit was impressive and they were in transition phase for Damon then. Expect this trip to be even more impressive. Will be there 5/18 thru ? Will report here when done. Advice for others scheduling factory service. Get ALL items on the initial list. Once they confirm apt. and your list you can NOT add anything. No complaint about that as I understand the scheduling problems of last minute "oh by the way" my gizmo is broken.
Now to find out how much of NE USA we can see between now and then.

bigben 04-13-2015 08:17 PM

Challenger 37TB Sewer Hose

Picking up our new Challenger 37TB April 16. Read and reread a lot of the post in this thread. Need some help with storing extra links of sewer connection hose. In my current Class A, I mounted a PVC fence post under the coach but acceptable alongside the LP tank. Don't think I am going to have that option on the 37TB. Any suggestions?

mikensallyt 04-15-2015 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1458074)
Mine too. I stopped by to put tennis balls under the wipers so the snow wouldn't settle on the arms and put all that weight on them. Good thing because when I got there they were already holding up a lot of snow and there was more ready to slide off the front cap.

Sorry but for me living down in south Texas ... all I want to say is Brrrrrrr! I never knew snow could cause so many/such problems. Dang that's cold. We have to guard about the heat and humidity which can really wear out a lot of items. I think our only problem is driving out of Texas, it takes FOREVER. Go ahead and pass me fools, lol. Now that spring, summer and fall are here we'll get up to your neck of the woods. /Mikey :whistling:

bigben 04-15-2015 04:17 PM

First Walk Thru

We are at our dealers doing are first walk thru. My wife was a bit hesitant about the upgrade to the Challenger 37TB. After we spent the afternoon going through the inside, she is beyond impressed. After the walk through and finding only some nip/tuck stuff - the DW is HAPPY.

Anyway's we will spend tomorrow transferring some of our system stuff (TPS, suppressor, Tailgater staff mount, rock guard, etc) and then on the road home. Thanks to all you folks for the info.

ctpres 04-17-2015 07:35 AM

Something you need to check

Having windshield wiper problem on our KT and while under hood looking at things I discovered washer hose laying on moving parts and hose already cut. Just a little more rain and it would be leaking.

bigben 04-18-2015 06:51 AM

On the drive home

Wow - did a 2.5 day PDI picking up our new Challenger 3TB and drove our 200 mile trip home.

WOW again. We traded in our Georgetown Class A gasser and I had driven several thousand miles. WOW - driving home the Challenger was much quieter, rode very well and handling was incredible. After applying a few fixes I felt very comfortable driving our Georgetown but right out of the box the Challenger was a DREAM.

To be fair, the chassis is a 22,000 with 22.5 wheels and a 252" wheel base vs a 20,000 chassis, 19.5" wheels and a 228" wheel base. If these are the factors that make the difference - do the deal tomorrow to get one of these improved units. CRAZY good.

Thanks Thor!!

sbleiweiss 04-18-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2510379)
Two major items and twenty "fix me if you can please" items. One (basically a shower rebuild) is fixable and the other (buckled floor down center) is going to be a real "B" if I am right. This is our second RV to use Thor brand of factory service. First visit was impressive and they were in transition phase for Damon then. Expect this trip to be even more impressive. Will be there 5/18 thru ? Will report here when done. Advice for others scheduling factory service. Get ALL items on the initial list. Once they confirm apt. and your list you can NOT add anything. No complaint about that as I understand the scheduling problems of last minute "oh by the way" my gizmo is broken.
Now to find out how much of NE USA we can see between now and then.

What is your shower issue? We have a shower issue on our KT also. Some minor fixes improved the situation, but it really needs an entire rebuild too. What is wrong with yours? Ours leaked and the whole thing was installed on an angle that made the door not sit plumb in the opening.

ctpres 04-19-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2516988)
What is your shower issue? We have a shower issue on our KT also. Some minor fixes improved the situation, but it really needs an entire rebuild too. What is wrong with yours? Ours leaked and the whole thing was installed on an angle that made the door not sit plumb in the opening.

Panel pulling away from wall, some leaking (almost fixed by me,) top edge of basin sagging resulting in a lot of standing water, no floor support around and in front of drain so floor and drain pipe flex excessively on entry/exit, door drags on latch side and if kitchen sink drains much at once ( I can make it do it by filling both side and removing stoppers) water backs up in shower. I understand there is a DIY fix for the door sag and the mfg has been very good about sending instructions and replacement vinyl splash shields.

cathor 04-19-2015 11:02 PM

We have same problem from first buyinh th 35Ht Challenger. Dealer fixed it twice (so they say) but it was the same after picking it up. Now at athirdr repair shop approved by Thor anf now Thor tells them they need to get in touch with the manufacturer before they are going to do anything. Will keep you posted.

sbleiweiss 04-20-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2518330)
Panel pulling away from wall, some leaking (almost fixed by me,) top edge of basin sagging resulting in a lot of standing water, no floor support around and in front of drain so floor and drain pipe flex excessively on entry/exit, door drags on latch side and if kitchen sink drains much at once ( I can make it do it by filling both side and removing stoppers) water backs up in shower. I understand there is a DIY fix for the door sag and the mfg has been very good about sending instructions and replacement vinyl splash shields.

You have much bigger problems than ours. But we do have the door sag issue. What is the DIY fix you refer to? Thanks.

ajfarmer 04-20-2015 09:20 AM

Access to Front Cap for Antenna

I'm looking to get access to the front cap where it meets the roof in order to install an antenna. The radio antenna is already there right in the middle of the cap. Do any of you have ideas how to get access to that area from the inside? With the drop down bed, there are no cabinets, only the soft ceiling.

ctpres 04-20-2015 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2520054)
You have much bigger problems than ours. But we do have the door sag issue. What is the DIY fix you refer to? Thanks.

I have not confirmed that this is same product as Thor but it reads and looks like a fix.

ctpres 04-20-2015 06:14 PM

Challenger windshield wiper problem

Recently had problem when R/passenger wiper rotated over 180 degrees and jambed under drivers side freezing it. Not fun on five mile five, percent grade downhill run with LOTS of 18 wheelers and on a curvy interstate road in heavy rain. I had no place to pull off safely so I just picked an 18 wheeler with lots of rear lights and followed the lights. For temp fix I removed passenger wiper arm and coated windshield with Rain x. Was able to drive for almost a full day of rain and only use the one wiper as needed - which was only a couple of times. Rain X is AWSOME, air flow over windshield was adequate to keep windshield clear. I am not the only one to have this problem. Is a recall in the works? I have already contacted Thor about the problem and just waiting on their response and hoping the rain will go away till we can get it fixed. This is our first serious Challenger problem. BTW Ford part of the Challenger has been just great. On the flats it is quieter than our old smaller and lighter Damon with Workhorse and seems to have more power when needed. Once you ask it to work hard it is pretty loud but I think some of that is due to it being relatively quiet just cruising along. Had read about shifting problems but don't see that as a problem so far as long as I keep a light foot on the gas and don't use cruise control.

ajfarmer 04-21-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajfarmer (Post 2520060)
I'm looking to get access to the front cap where it meets the roof in order to install an antenna. The radio antenna is already there right in the middle of the cap. Do any of you have ideas how to get access to that area from the inside? With the drop down bed, there are no cabinets, only the soft ceiling.

Following up to answer my own question in case it helps others. :thumb:
Put the loft bed down and climb up on it. On the left and right side wall at the front, there are black ABS trim covers close to the ceiling to semi-hide the cables that raise and lower the bed. You'll have to remove the netting to get to them. Remove that cover (4 screws) and you have access to the fiberglass cap above. You can also conveniently run your antenna cable down the very large and mostly empty pillar to the dash area. Hint: the entire dash cover also comes off easily with four screws, revealing all of the behind dash cabling including the radio cabling and duct work.

For what it's worth, I was installing a SiriusXM receiver antenna this time and found that I could just slip it in the gap between the ceiling and fiberglass cap (still inside the coach) and got full signal strength. This was after putting the antenna on a 3 x 3 inch piece of sheet metal as a ground plane. Without the sheet metal, it was half signal bars at best. If you are ever installing a SiriusXM antenna outside or inside, make sure it has a ground plane. It makes all the difference.

Hope this helps anyone that might want to do something similar.

Vinster30 04-24-2015 04:26 PM

ajfarmer

Thanks, have been putting off doing the same thing. Glad it is not that tough of a job. I had the antenna laying on the dash from the time I left the dealership, worked great going south. LOL :rofl:

handyman1943 04-24-2015 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opcop (Post 1461435)
This is just the thread I've been looking for, nothing but Challenger. We love our 37DT. DGShaffer, you are right about the heater vents. The way I tackled this problem was, I bought some 1/2" foam insulation board, cut them to fit inside the register, used silver reflective heat tape to cover the foam inserts, then punched some small holes (just enough) to regulate the bathroom and the bedroom. Seems to work just fine, but your solution probably looks nicer.

I was able to order several registers with dampers online for about $12 each -- work great. Just traded my 2008 Challenger 376 for a NEW 2013 Thor Damon Challenger 37KT -- pick it up next week.
Gary Berg
2013 Thor Damon Challenger 37KT
2009 Saturn Vue
2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid

bigben 04-26-2015 05:15 AM

Handyman can you tell the where you got and specifics on the register/dampers? I'd like to look at this also.

Thanks in advance.

LyonsL 04-27-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigben (Post 2529199)
Handyman can you tell the where you got and specifics on the register/dampers? I'd like to look at this also.

Thanks in advance.

bigben, I've been looking at a few here: Tweetys.com - RV Parts & Accessories - RV Hitches - Registers

I want to replace the vent in the bathroom with a dampered vent.

mikensallyt 04-27-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2451612)
Just pull the tab outward on the black strap. It's a snug fit but it should release without breaking.

Reading all the threads I haven't "fingered" out why the recall on the extinguisher Does anyone know why? tks/Mikey

handyman1943 04-27-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2530991)
bigben, I've been looking at a few here: Tweetys.com - RV Parts & Accessories - RV Hitches - Registers

I want to replace the vent in the bathroom with a dampered vent.

I bought them on Ebay for about $12 each last December --
AP Products 013-641 10" x 2-1/4" Brown Metal Floor Register with Damper