iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 03-04-2013 10:58 AM

I keep it at a storage facility and had brought it home to do a few more things to it. I level it to run the slides out.

However, when I had my Outlaw at the house for long periods with the jacks down, I would spray them with silicone spray to keep them from drying out and possibly rusting.

Leak? I don't see no steenkin' leak!

DGShaffer 03-04-2013 11:07 AM

I bought the Multi-tool just to install the new floor registers. I was told to get a corded one because they can kill a battery pretty quick. That thing punched straight through the floor for a nice square cut and no over run of the perimeter.

Slide....Slide....Turn left....Turn Left... Wall.... CRAP!

DGShaffer 03-04-2013 11:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Crapper Flapper rev B. Added a backing plate with stainless steel threaded inserts and will use 10-32 stainless steel threaded flat head screws rather than the big brass wood screws. Never have I been so excited over a Sewer project! :dance:

Whatnobeer 03-04-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1484070)
I bought the Multi-tool just to install the new floor registers. I was told to get a corded one because they can kill a battery pretty quick. That thing punched straight through the floor for a nice square cut and no over run of the perimeter.

Slide....Slide....Turn left....Turn Left... Wall.... CRAP!

I've got a Dremel, RotoZip and Rockwell SoniCrafter and they are great tools. Wouldn't do home remodeling without them. :thumb:

Touche' on the Wall my good friend. :rofl:

john109 03-04-2013 12:16 PM

Don

I am "almost" going to feel bad running crap past that work of art. I recieved my flapper today and removed the old elbow. Funny we are talking about leveling jacks. I kept seeing my right front jack had puddles on the pad and on the ground. So today I ran my genertor for an hour and jacked the rv up and spun the tires a little bit. (flat spots) anyway I noticed a little seepage on my pressure line at the actuator itself. I put a wrench on it and got almost a half a turn onI wiped down ran it through a few times and it looks fine now. Simple fix I know but I still thought I would pass it on. Don sending you a PM.

DGShaffer 03-04-2013 01:24 PM

Don't install it just yet. I just sent you rev B which includes the backing plate and screws. You'll like the look of it much better!

I'm glad to hear your leak was a simple fix. The Outlaw guys were experiencing failures on their leveling systems pretty regular. I was fortunate and never had a problem. I hope I'm as lucky this time around.

john109 03-04-2013 01:34 PM

I have not heard of many issues with the challenger leveling system. I just got UPS notification so I assume thats from you. Thank You

DGShaffer 03-04-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1484238)
I have not heard of many issues with the challenger leveling system. I just got UPS notification so I assume thats from you. Thank You

Yup, the revision B backing plate ans screw set

john109 03-05-2013 10:51 AM

I can't wait to see revision c ??'

camaromance 03-05-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1485307)
I can't wait to see revision c ??'

It'll be chromed, with LEDs and a remote. Ha ha ha ha ha .....

john109 03-05-2013 05:36 PM

Don maybe you should contact Thor as well as other manufactures and start selling them. Its got to be cheaper then the way they are doing it right now. Just don't forget us little people when you start collecting those checks.

DGShaffer 03-05-2013 05:41 PM

If they went back to a simple plastic threaded ring and cap it would be cheaper! That's what was on my Outlaw and it was perfect. Threading the plug into the ring was a bitch and many times it cross threaded but who cared. The Flapper is pretty simple but I doubt cheaper!

I do have one more completed assembly left and no one else has asked for it so I'm thinking I have a limited audience.

Thanks you two! :rofl:

camaromance 03-05-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1485678)
Don maybe you should contact Thor as well as other manufactures and start selling them. Its got to be cheaper then the way they are doing it right now. Just don't forget us little people when you start collecting those checks.

I don't know. Considering the materials used and the talent to use what appears to be a machine shop vs a few pieces of PVC and a plastic crapper flange, I think you came out way ahead on this deal, John.

It is apparent that Don has a lot of experience using CAD software for design and the follow through to make his ideas into reality. I buy engineering drawings, and pay for the design work and its not cheap. I'm sure you get that but wanted to point out to those who don't, Don has mad skills and I have a ton of respect for guys that know how to do it right.

camaromance 03-05-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1485682)
If they went back to a simple plastic threaded ring and cap it would be cheaper! That's what was on my Outlaw and it was perfect. Threading the plug into the ring was a bitch and many times it cross threaded but who cared. The Flapper is pretty simple but I doubt cheaper!

I do have one more completed assembly left and no one else has asked for it so I'm thinking I have a limited audience.

Thanks you two! :rofl:

You are right about that damn thread ring. I had the same thing on my class C. I've gotten used to the pipe and found a cap that would fit on the end of my sewer hose so I don't mind it so much anymore. However, if I had known of you when I first got my KT, your second crapper-flapper would have a new home.

DGShaffer 03-05-2013 08:00 PM

:blush: You are too kind!

john109 03-06-2013 04:25 AM

Guys I know I came out way head. I am all for getting rid of the sewer pipe. It cleans up the look plus I also found a hose that would fit into the pipe. But I found when I cut the black pipe out was that the hose was leaking a little bit (probably from the end cap) and there was a bit of sewer smell and residue. Guys I enjoy going back and forth with all you guys and learning new ideas, all I was saying is submit to manufactures who knows maybe they would go for it.

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1486153)
sewer smell and residue.

Ewwwwwwww :eek:

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey John,

Do you have the width and depth of the bay slide you made handy? I'm working on a design for a variable width two piece expandable aluminum slide tray with full extension slides and don't have that available at the moment.

I was thinking about mounting them at the height of the cross over so that long items like rugs, ladders and big folding chairs can be placed on them and pulled out. Right now, anything you put on the top shelf in the bays falls into the lower part as you go around turns.

john109 03-06-2013 08:58 AM

Don iam at work but I can run home at lunch and get some measurements.

john109 03-06-2013 09:29 AM

don i got your measurements and sent you a pm

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 09:36 AM

It's not that important. I need to measure a bunch of points anyway. What I'm making will be able to be installed in any of the compartments other than the really small one to the rear of the passengers side.

Thanks for the offer though

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 09:37 AM

You eat lunch early

john109 03-06-2013 03:10 PM

thats funny :laugh: I kind of work at my own pace as long as everything gets done everyday I can take lunch when I need to. And I live close to work.

john109 03-06-2013 05:03 PM

Guys I am jumping into a new mod and thought you may find it interesting.
It doesn't cost anything and easy to do. I have been following a very long thread over on the F53 Ford Chassis section of this site. It is called "A Cheap Handling Fix" many people have gone with it and are very happy with the results. Bottom line is you change the settings on your sway bars by moving the bolts from one hole to another on all four corners of the RV. The pictures are very clear and as far as I can tell from the thread their have been no bad results yet. Some of the people have put many miles on the units with no issues. I spoke to the guy I know at the frame shop out in Minnesota and his feeling is this would be fine for the RV. So I guess I am in. Read the thread but have a few beers near by its going to take a while.
John

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 05:42 PM

Personally I prefer to allow my motor home to sway. I think it teaches me to be a better, smoother driver.

The other issue I have with installing or modifying the anti sway system on a top heavy vehicle is that it reduces the pressure and therefore traction on the inside wheels throughout a turn.

Anti sway bars attempt to limit sway by trying to lift the heavy suspension on the inside of the turn off the ground. This reduces the load on the inside wheel and drastically increases the load on the side walls of the outside wheels.

It's just an opinion but I prefer good shocks and the anti sway protection engineered into the chassis by the manufacturer.

Just my 2cents... Carry on :popcorn:

john109 03-06-2013 05:49 PM

Don I only have 1800 miles on mine and and honestly I didn't think it was too bad. Maybe a couple of times I felt a strong cross wind or a big truck driving by. But after reading the thread and all the people who say how much better it is I think I will give it a try if nothing else I can swap it back and didn't cost me anything but time.

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 07:07 PM

I agree it's better than throwing a boat load of cast into it. If you like it, that's the only opinion that counts!

camaromance 03-06-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1486977)
Don I only have 1800 miles on mine and and honestly I didn't think it was too bad. Maybe a couple of times I felt a strong cross wind or a big truck driving by. But after reading the thread and all the people who say how much better it is I think I will give it a try if nothing else I can swap it back and didn't cost me anything but time.

John, I've read those same posts. My understanding of it is that it will greatly decrease body roll, ie swaying. However, if you find yourself in a situation where you are traveling at speed and have brake hard and turn, your chances are greatly increased that you will roll your coach. The sway bars are set at their current position to prevent a rollover if you have to do this type of high speed maneuver. It makes sense if you think about it. A stiffer suspension has nowhere to transfer the centrifugal force. That momentum has to go somewhere so it transfers it to the shiney side of your motor home and it happens quickly. A softer suspension allows for more body roll which gives somewhere for all that force to transfer to. You also have more time to realize what's going on and correct the steering before you roll over. I have heard it makes a huge difference on swaying but I'm not sure if its worth it when some jackass on a cell phone decides to pull out in front of you. I'd be curious to know what your suspension guy thinks.

Don, you ride bikes. Wouldn't it be a it like high siding your bike?

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 08:19 PM

What you said it what I tried but couldn't manage. Your description is clear and accurate. I feel that we should let the engineered suspension in the chassis do it's job as it's designed. Body roll on a sports car is bad but on a top heavy box it's a training aid. Drive slower and smoother. When a truck passes, learn to counter act the roll with subtle movement

Again, my opinion.

camaromance 03-06-2013 08:45 PM

I'm spoiled with my 37kt. My last RV was a 31' class C. That thing handled horribly even after I upgraded the shocks and steering stabilizer. If I was passed on the interstate by an 18 wheeler, it would first try to pull me into its lane. As it passed it would blow me off the road. I had to really pay attention and start turning the wheel before that happened to counteract. My wife and I would take bets on which way the front wheels would drive us after going over a bump. I got used to it after a few trips and it more or less became second nature. I feel spoiled with how well my challenger drives. No more being blown off the road.

john109 03-07-2013 04:17 AM

Ok guys I guess I will hold off what you guys say makes sense. I also had a class C and it would do the same thing I had to be prepared when a big truck came by. As I said I only have 1800 miles on mine and it was a lot different then the Class C. I guess I got caught up in that long thread and wondered if it was worth doing. Thanks guys.

DGShaffer 03-07-2013 04:51 AM

I had a 34 foot Class C as well. They had narrow wheel bases compared to our big truck chassis and 22.5" wheels. Unfortunately they're big boxes and will never handle great. You just have to learn to drive them with respect. I've found myself going too fast into a turn and regretted not anticipating it sooner and being afraid I'd not be able shave off enough speed in time to make it. How many of those guys will go through all that then post that it was a huge waste of time. A solution to an issue either real or perceived is still a good feeling.

I've been riding bikes all my life so I know how easy it is to get caught up in the latest, best and coolest. You think the Harley crowd is bad, try hanging with the Beemer crowd! Those guys love electronics, tricked out suspensions, custom made long distance saddles, funky windshields and they have money! I love my stock Kawasaki Concours :whistling:

camaromance 03-07-2013 12:48 PM

You guys are a great bunch. I look forward to seeing what you have to say each day or so. I also like that you don’t get your panties in a bunch when you get an opinion that may differ from your own. It truly is the least painful way to learn. If you feel I'm jacking something up, I expect you to say so. Thanks again for all the great discussions.

With that being said, my next mod is the LED lights across the awnings. I recently went to the RV show in Baltimore and the new thing is LED's. I'm not so big on that but, the one mod I did see is the permanent white LEDs lengthwise across the awning tube. The kit was stupid expensive and because I'm a cheap, I found all the supplies to make my own at a tenth of the cost. If you’re interested, let me now and I’ll get enough for a few kits, work out the bugs and send them to you.

DGShaffer 03-07-2013 12:57 PM

So I was looking at investing in a trampoline to hang my globe lights on the awning since I noticed that it's 15 feet in the air. This sounds like a safer and more practical idea.

How does it work and how do you bet power to them? I want the ability to use a dimmer as well.

john109 03-07-2013 04:16 PM

I also look forward to see what is next everyday. Jim I would be interested to see how it is done. I would think it would get crushed in the roll up mode. I bought the rope lights at Home Depot I think its a 50 footer. and some plastic clips that slide down the track of the awning and it holds the rope light fine. (I found those clips in a camp ground in upstate NY) I plug it in to the exterior outlet I have seen power rheostats that would make it so you could dim the lights up or down.

john109 03-07-2013 04:23 PM

guys one other investment i just made is I ordered one of those Little Giant ladders it should fit in the lower bay. and expand enough so I can easily do things on the RV. I also justified buying as I have to paint the house this year:banghead:. Oh well its gotta be done.

camaromance 03-07-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1487907)
So I was looking at investing in a trampoline to hang my globe lights on the awning since I noticed that it's 15 feet in the air. This sounds like a safer and more practical idea.

How does it work and how do you bet power to them? I want the ability to use a dimmer as well.

Don, these kits are waterproof, self sticking with 3M backing, multi color, phase shifting, connectable, and even comes with a remote. The strip would stick to the tube and the power cord is small enought to roll up in the awning. The controller would be mounted in a bay with 120 ac power. I have an outlet where my inverter is and I bet you do to. I think John already mounted an outlet in one of his bays.

Here is a link:

Amazon.com: Abco Tech®Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft +44 Remote: Home Improvement

I also planned on hiding a set on the inside lip of the slides and having them reflect onto the sides of the coach. Yet another application would be to put smaller strips around the outside edge of the steps. OK, maybe I do have a thing for LEDs.

I still have to find out if they will go all white and are dimmable but I believe they do. If not, there are several manufactures of these kits and I'm sure I can find the right set. Another resource for is here: LED Lights, LED Strip Lights, Color Changing LED Light Strips - ElementalLED.com

Take a look and let me know what you think...

camaromance 03-07-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1488113)
I also look forward to see what is next everyday. Jim I would be interested to see how it is done. I would think it would get crushed in the roll up mode. I bought the rope lights at Home Depot I think its a 50 footer. and some plastic clips that slide down the track of the awning and it holds the rope light fine. (I found those clips in a camp ground in upstate NY) I plug it in to the exterior outlet I have seen power rheostats that would make it so you could dim the lights up or down.

John, they are very thin, less than a 1/4" and sealed in a silicon sleeve. But the idea only exists in my head right now. The ones I saw at the show were mounted inside the track of the awning. Not sure how they did it or even power them. Would be curious to see one close enough to tell. Painting the house is tuff work. I would highly recommend a Wagner power painter and Baer exterior paint. That stuff costs more but it will be the last time you paint your house.

john109 03-07-2013 06:07 PM

Jim I am with you on the Behr paint it is all I use now I buy the stuff with the primer in it. I did the inside of the house with it last year and love it. It goes on nice and cleans up well and is very durable. I have been shopping around for sprayers I had a wagner about 10 years back and was not impressed with it then. Which model do you use. I have been researching the graco magnum and it gets really good reviews also. Any info would be great.

DGShaffer 03-07-2013 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at the link for LED's, I had no idea they were so expensive! I've had my awning out once and that was during the PDI. I'm hoping that I'll be able to bring it to the house Saturday so I can finish the install of the Crapper Flapper.

All the punch list items are in except for the spare table for in between the captains chairs so I'm hoping to bring it back to the dealer for a final visit. After that it's time to de-winterize it. Our first booked weekend is April 5th through the 7th for a local shake down and I can't wait.

After that we're booked for 10 additional weekends through the summer at a few PA State parks within a 2 hour ride. Then we have longer trips to Lake Ontario, a trip to Boston for the 4th of July, and our annual trek south over the Christmas week to Dauphin Island Alabama.

I love planning and routing our trips and with the bike, I route day trips that I plug into my Garmin GPS so when we get there I already know where we're headed during the day.

Coming back after a day ride I love starting the campfire and cooking dinner on it. Nothing crazy, just meat and potato's :D

camaromance 03-07-2013 09:23 PM

I hear ya Don. That's what it's all about. Mine should be back next week from the final punch list. The dealer sent it out to the paint shop to have the clearcoat redone. Thor missed a strip of tape across the entire upper edge on each side of the coach. They only way I would accept it is if they reshot the entire motorhome. There is no way to feather the clearcoat in and make it look right. They agreed. Our first trip is April 16 -21 in PA near Ohiopyle. That's all have planned so far. As far as the LEDs, I didn't think they we're too bad in price considering what I paid for my globes. We like to camp near water so we can take canoe trips. I paddle and she takes pictures. When we get "home", I'll burn some beef on the grill and enjoy a couple of Dick Yuenglings finest. To me, there is no better way to enjoy life.

camaromance 03-07-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1488262)
Jim I am with you on the Behr paint it is all I use now I buy the stuff with the primer in it. I did the inside of the house with it last year and love it. It goes on nice and cleans up well and is very durable. I have been shopping around for sprayers I had a wagner about 10 years back and was not impressed with it then. Which model do you use. I have been researching the graco magnum and it gets really good reviews also. Any info would be great.

John, mine was about ten years back as well. It was a cheaper model but seemed to do a decent enough job. That was back when I lived in Georgia. It was about 95* outside so I'm sure the paint was flowing well. The house I have now has siding. Yup, that was planned.:D

camaromance 03-07-2013 09:34 PM

John, when's your first trip planned?

john109 03-08-2013 04:18 AM

We are off to Foxboro for a weekend can't remember which weekend. but they have a dog weekend everyone brings there dogs and they have dog parades and all kinds of activities geared towards them. And it gives me a chance to drain all the pink stuff out of the RV. Memorial Day weekend we are going up to a state park in Salem, MA. its a new place for us it was an old fort from the 1700s. We have other plans also but I leave that up to the wife. She plans them and I drive its worked well so far. I got to tell you guys I am looking outside right now and we are getting buried again. I look at the RV and shake my head its killing me watching her taking the beatings of this winter. I wish I had a garage that would accomadate the RV. Come on retirement so I can move to a warmer climate.

Whatnobeer 03-08-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1488488)
Looking at the link for LED's, I had no idea they were so expensive! I've had my awning out once and that was during the PDI. I'm hoping that I'll be able to bring it to the house Saturday so I can finish the install of the Crapper Flapper.

All the punch list items are in except for the spare table for in between the captains chairs so I'm hoping to bring it back to the dealer for a final visit. After that it's time to de-winterize it. Our first booked weekend is April 5th through the 7th for a local shake down and I can't wait.

After that we're booked for 10 additional weekends through the summer at a few PA State parks within a 2 hour ride. Then we have longer trips to Lake Ontario, a trip to Boston for the 4th of July, and our annual trek south over the Christmas week to Dauphin Island Alabama.

I love planning and routing our trips and with the bike, I route day trips that I plug into my Garmin GPS so when we get there I already know where we're headed during the day.

Coming back after a day ride I love starting the campfire and cooking dinner on it. Nothing crazy, just meat and potato's :D

I don't know where you're camped at good sir, but I'm grabbing the misses and some steaks and heading out your way. Just save some cold ones. :)

I also hope your "Crapper Flapper" doesn't take a dump on you. :rofl: I know, bad toilet humor. :eek:

DGShaffer 03-08-2013 06:18 AM

Jim... I love that photo on your About Me page. I'm a motor head from way back. To me, that's Art! I love nature but mechanical things get me going! When I die I want to come back as a blown 327!

I'm not sure where you are but it sounds like you're in driving distance to Stonewall Jackson Resort just to the south west of where your heading on your first trip. They have a campground called Briar Point and it has great access to the lake so you can canoe across the lake, go to the resort, get drunk, start paddling back, tip over, paddle some more, tip over, then go inside and dry off! Good times! There's also Raystown Lake Seven points campground in PA which has spots RIGHT on the lake! so you can paddle out right from your site.

John, sorry to hear about the snow, you've been getting hammered this year! We got about 3" here. My wife enjoy the changing of the seasons but would appreciate it to a lesser degree so we recently bought a small home in Tennessee just west of the Smokey mountains where we plan on retiring which should be within 10 years. Good luck today!

Ray, you're welcome out any time! Nothing better than drinking next to a fire, best when it's a little chilly outside.

camaromance 03-08-2013 07:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Don,

I built that in my garage. Its a blown and stroked 350. At 9 lbs of boost, it makes a ridiculous 730hp. I put it in a 1970.5 RS Camaro with a 4 speed. IMO, the best looking car ever made.

Its my toy and has a very high giggle factor.

I'll have to check those places out. I'll break the ice and suggest we all meet up this summer somwhere convienient to all. I think that would be outstanding.:cool:

Whatnobeer 03-08-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1488839)
Don,

I built that in my garage. Its a blown and stroked 350. At 9 lbs of boost, it makes a ridiculous 730hp. I put it in a 1970.5 RS Camaro with a 4 speed. IMO, the best looking car ever made.

Its my toy and has a very high giggle factor.

I'll have to check those places out. I'll break the ice and suggest we all meet up this summer somwhere convienient to all. I think that would be outstanding.:cool:

Jimmy that is absolutely beautiful. :eek: That is definitely a looker. I'm more of a Corvette guy but I've owned my fair share of Camaros. :bow:

DGShaffer 03-08-2013 08:06 AM

Great looking car! Although I love classic muscle cars, I only gravitate towards two wheels.

I'd put that body style in my top 5 category!

I'm up for a campers weekend meet and greet!

camaromance 03-08-2013 08:28 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the compliments. I put a lot of time, money and bloody knuckles into that car. It was almost too far gone when I got it. But, I am proud to say, I did it all. Its not perfect but its mine.

Don, I checked out those campgrounds. We'll be staying at the Stonewall at least one weekend this year. That place looks amazing.

My vote is for PA for a meet and greet. Do the mid-atlantic campers have an annual get together? Looks like North Central PA would be central to most.

camaromance 03-08-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1488731)
We are off to Foxboro for a weekend can't remember which weekend. but they have a dog weekend everyone brings there dogs and they have dog parades and all kinds of activities geared towards them. And it gives me a chance to drain all the pink stuff out of the RV. Memorial Day weekend we are going up to a state park in Salem, MA. its a new place for us it was an old fort from the 1700s. We have other plans also but I leave that up to the wife. She plans them and I drive its worked well so far. I got to tell you guys I am looking outside right now and we are getting buried again. I look at the RV and shake my head its killing me watching her taking the beatings of this winter. I wish I had a garage that would accomadate the RV. Come on retirement so I can move to a warmer climate.

John, I hear you guys are getting hammered again. What are you at, foot and a half now? We were supposed to get something like that down here and you were only getting a dusting. Wow, did they have that wrong. :blink:

john109 03-09-2013 04:59 AM

Hey guys Thanks for checking up on me all is well it has been a long winter. I have been reading the thread I think a get together would be great. Jim you bring the car and Don bring the bike and we can run 1/4 miles a few times. And the winner gets a crapper flapper mounted on a wooden trophy. :dance: I say first night is surf and turf you guys bring the steaks and I will bring the lobsta's. I "believe" I can make north cental PA in about 8 or 9 hrs. So if I ice them down they will last 12 hrs. Which is a good segway into my next mod I am thinking about putting in a quick disconnect into my propane line. So I can use my deep fryer/boiler pot it's pretty straight forward you just need to decide if you want it before or after the RV regulator. If your grill or cooker has its own regulator you can go before RV regulator. And if it doesn't go after the RV regulator.

Don got a question I was thinking about doing the floor register mod and wondered why you went with the 2x12's as opposed to 2x10's. I am going to Lowes today and was going too pick some up and just want to make sure I get the right ones.

DGShaffer 03-09-2013 06:04 AM

Since I'd win that race I'd like something other than my own Crapper Flapper as a prize:rofl:

I added an Extend-A-Stay to my propane loop. I use it for the Coleman grill and a portable campfire I use where ground fires aren't allowed.

I worked in Hudson Mass in the early 90's. Every Friday on my way home to Kingston NY I picked up foua Lobstas for around $3.00 a pound. One trip I brought back 2 dozen and had a bunch of friends over.

That's easy... I didn't know they made 2x10's :banghead:

camaromance 03-09-2013 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
John, I use a roadtrip grill by Coleman. It has its own regulator. I don't have a picture of the hookup but I got mine at the dealer when I got my class c and transferred it to my KT when we traded up. The only problem I've had is the regulator on the grill will sometimes freeze up if the humidity is high. Other than that, I've been using it for several years without issue. As you can see, the pot is boiling and ready for the lobsta. Actually, I was making salt taters that weekend.

I was looking at google maps and it seems Middletown, NY is central to both of us, go figure. Or we could just camp out in Don's driveway.

camaromance 03-09-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1489795)
Since I'd win that race I'd like something other than my own Crapper Flapper as a prize:rofl:

I added an Extend-A-Stay to my propane loop. I use it for the Coleman grill and a portable campfire I use where ground fires aren't allowed.

I worked in Hudson Mass in the early 90's. Every Friday on my way home to Kingston NY I picked up foua Lobstas for around $3.00 a pound. One trip I brought back 2 dozen and had a bunch of friends over.

That's easy... I didn't know they made 2x10's :banghead:

Look at you, throwing down the smack already. You go practice falling down and I'll be over in a minute. Unfortunately, your probably right. 2 wheelers are in a different class all together, IF, you know how to ride. I've raced against bikes before. If I could get them on the launch, I'd get em all day long. Too funny....

DGShaffer 03-09-2013 06:17 AM

Middletown NY. Are you all packin? Cuz you might need to be there :hide:
Middletown is a rough place.

This place is kind of in the middle based on highway access
Skyway Camping Resort | Luxury New York RV Campground | (845) 647-5747

DGShaffer 03-09-2013 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1489809)
Look at you, throwing down the smack already. You go practice falling down and I'll be over in a minute. Unfortunately, your probably right. 2 wheelers are in a different class all together, IF, you know how to ride. I've raced against bikes before. If I could get them on the launch, I'd get em all day long. Too funny....

I don't need practice. I was at the point not too long ago where I was test riding Can-ams and Trikes and told my wife that if I dropped it one more time I was adding a wheel. Here I am makin sparks at Deals Gap, TN.

camaromance 03-09-2013 06:54 AM

Other than the sparks, I don't see any light under your foot pegs. Don, that looks awesome. Your right, you need no practice. Head straight, looking past the turn, you have been riding for a while. I gave up bikes years ago. I'm not mature enough to own one. My problem is if I have it, I'll use it every time. And with the performance bikes have today, I run out of talent long before they run out of throttle. My wife was looking at the Can-ams a while ago. Maybe we should start looking at them again.

DGShaffer 03-09-2013 07:07 AM

That's my all time favorite critique when I see someone off in the shoulder. "They ran out of talent brfore they ran out turn".

I started on dirt at 12 and have been on the road since 16 and never without a bike. I've owned most brands, British, German, Jap, American and Italian. I'm the same way with speed and even do a track day at the beginning of each season. I spent 20 years riding Harley and BMW twins because I no longer trusted myself.

Then I bought that K1300GT with 160 BHP out of the box. My wife is usually with my and I've weelied past lines of cars, hit 140, and chased crotch rockets through the PA countryside for a day, she never says a word. She trusts my skills and judgment completely.

I'm on a Kawasaki ZG-1400 these days and although it's no Beemer, it gets up nicely.

You need to test ride a CAN-AM. I didn't like that at all! But, to each his own. Eventually I'll need an extra wheel but not yet anyway.

john109 03-09-2013 02:08 PM

Thats ironic I saw that same picture in a motorcycle ad come on Don are you sure thats you??? :D Hey what is that extend stay you are talking about? I will do a google search. I want to be able to bring the deep frier/boiler and not have to drag a 20 lb. bottle with me. My boiler has its own regulator on the hose.

bronk 03-09-2013 03:01 PM

Hello from KY!
 
We, too, have a Challenger, a 2011 3710 model. I noticed your postings and decided to jump in and introduce myself, since some of us have a lot in common, ie; motorcycles (sadly sold and that door closed after 30 years of riding). We have a ZO6 Vette which we enjoy taking to cruise-ins here in KY. Your mods that some of you have completed on your Challengers are interesting and very functional. We have 18,000 miles on our Challenger and have had minimal issues - generator leaked oil - fixed under warranty, and those da_ _ Lippert jacks - pump failed in the first month of ownership - replaced under warranty. Other that those 2 items, it has been pretty much trouble free. Since we live in KY, it is much easier for us to get back to the factory if necessary.

We are both originally from Maine and go back each summer. We also travel to FL during the Christmas break - my wife is a college professor, and she gets about 4 weeks off at this time. Next Friday we leave for Gulf Shores AL for a week (spring break).

I have really enjoyed your posts and think that a "meet and greet" is a great idea. I'll stay tuned.

Best wishes for safe travels! Bronk

john109 03-09-2013 03:29 PM

Nice to meet you Bronk. This could be quite a meeting. Imagine a park full of Challengers. :thumb: Hey who started this thread?? Don this is all your fault.. Don ordered my extend a stay set up from Amazon. Did you get your cross fires yet?

bdickson 03-09-2013 04:16 PM

Our new 2013 Challenger 37GT has a water filter container in the wet bay. I installed a charcoal filter, which filters out chlorine, lead etc. I am getting very low water pressure. Is there a particular filter cartridge I should be using?

camaromance 03-09-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1490327)
Our new 2013 Challenger 37GT has a water filter container in the wet bay. I installed a charcoal filter, which filters out chlorine, lead etc. I am getting very low water pressure. Is there a particular filter cartridge I should be using?

Sorry, Bruce. I'm still using the one that came with it. I don't think it was charcoal either. Which reminds me, I need to replace that for the upcoming season. As soon as I get mine back from the dealer, I'll take a look. You should have received a manual which could tell you what filter to use.

camaromance 03-09-2013 04:33 PM

Hey Bronk, nice to meet you. It was the lobsta's that Johns bringing, wasn't it. Yup, this "meet and greet" could be epic.

DGShaffer 03-09-2013 08:40 PM

Bronk, We've been to Gulf shores twice, once in Gulf shores itself, the last on the other side of Mobile bay on Dauphin Island. We're headed back there over this next Christmas week. I really enjoy the quiet side of the bay and it's just a ferry ride to get over to the east.

Bruce, Same here in that I know nothing about the filter type you're using but I have had a Culligan in line filter clog almost instantly for some reason. It took me a while to swap it out because it was new, as soon as I did the pressure went right back to normal. Maybe something happened to your cartridge?

I may have started this thread but you guys are to blame for keeping it going! :popcorn:

I relocated my rig back home to finish up a couple more items. Then I'm bringing it back to the dealer next Saturday for the completion of the punch list from the PDI. After that it's time to dewinterize! :dance:

I went to a shooting range with a couple of friends today. My wrists and shoulder are sore as hell. This is the first time in a long time that I handled weapons but it sure was a hoot!. I shot 100 rounds of skeet with a 20 gauge over under, 50 rounds through a 45 long single action revolver, 50 rounds through a Glock 40 cal, 50 through a Sig Sauer 357, 50 through a Ruger LCR 38 special revolver (that hurt!), and 50 through a Glock 45 ACP.

Anyone here shoot?

camaromance 03-09-2013 10:04 PM

Bruce, regarding your filter. If its the first time you have had water in your plumbing, it could be trash left in the system from construction that's clogging it up. You might consider just changing it out with a new one to see if it improves. It's actually a good thing your filter clogged. Otherwise, you would cleaning out all the aerators at your spigots. It could also ruin your automatic ice maker if you have one. There's really no good way to clean those out.

Don, my wife and I enjoy shooting. We have an Springfield XDM 9mm and a Mossberg 12 ga pump. I was in the Navy on subs for 22 years and I did a lot of shooting then. Now, I just shoot enough to stay proficient. There is an indoor range a couple of miles from my house. Speaking of hobbies, anyone play guitar?

camaromance 03-09-2013 10:38 PM

Don, I noticed your plate frame said "the dragon".

How did this guy take his video? Is he pulling a trailer?


Goldwing Dragon Slayer - Deals Gap US 129 North Carolina Tennessee - YouTube

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 06:27 AM

That's funny! I guess it is on a trailer. There's a guy on a Yellow Gold wing that's a regular there. He has a camera mounted facing backwards on his bike. He'll go up to a few guys on fancy crotch rockets and volunteer to film them through the turns. Then shortly into the video the guys on their ultra tricked out and fast bikes start getting smaller and smaller until they aren't behind him and more. They get schooled buy a canary yellow Wing! :rofl:

I have a video too! After I shed the slow guys I get going :dance:
They look at me funny when I pull up on the line with my big faired out touring bike. If I didn't think I'd drag'em, I'd leave the bags on it. :rofl:

NJMP track day 01.wmv - YouTube

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 09:04 AM

Here's one on the Dragon that I took back in 2010. This was on my BMW K1300 GT. 318 turn is just 11 miles. It takes a bit to settle into a rhythm on this road.
Deals Gap 2010 - YouTube

john109 03-10-2013 09:31 AM

Hey guys the crapper flapper is prepped and ready for install. "May the force go through you" :cool:
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...00/flapper.jpg

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 10:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Real nice! Thanks for the "Plug" (get it?) :rofl:

Here it is installed. I'm diggin this much better with the stainless hardware!

john109 03-10-2013 10:52 AM

Don sent you a PM. I am with you on the stainless, it appears the group is growing I think we should get Thor to pick up our site costs for the "MAG" M eet A nd G reet they can do a story on us. I would imagine the may have a corporate newsletter. God knows we have all put some money in their pockets.

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 11:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the Cross fire system install. Getting to the inner valve stem is always a delight. At least this was my last time fighting with that one. I opted to mount it directly to the hub cover rather than using the supplied hardware. It was easier and put it in a better spot.

camaromance 03-10-2013 11:22 AM

Good job on the installs, guys. Makes me want mine back that much more. I stopped by the dealer Friday on my way home from work. It's time to start being the squeaky wheel so I can get it back in time for our first trip. The down side is they may rush it and do a crappy job.

John, "MAG" sounds cool.

john109 03-10-2013 11:46 AM

don pic's hard to decipher how did you attach it to the cap? Also who's the old guy sitting in the rocking chair. I can see his reflection in the cap??

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 11:48 AM

I'm with you on the rush to get it done crap workmanship! I wasn't bringing mine back until all the parts are in. What I did do was to email or call every Friday to check on the parts and the progress of the Thor approvals. At first I made sure my punch list was mailed to the sales manager, the service manager and two service writers, then I followed up on that same group, finally I had the kind of responsiveness I expected for one of the service writers so from there I killed her with kindness so I didn't irritate her. We'll see how it goes after I drop it off next Saturday. Good luck with yours. Keep reminding them that the weather is starting to break and if you need to, you'll get Thor involved.

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1491112)
don pic's hard to decipher how did you attach it to the cap? Also who's the old guy sitting in the rocking chair. I can see his reflection in the cap??

I look in the mirror every day wondering the same thing! :eek:

I first hooked up both of the braided lines then marked the location that suited the position of the manifold best. Have a 1/2" wrench handy because you'll be loosing air until they're tight.

I removed the hub cover and drilled it through to 3/8" I used a stainless steel heavy washed to space it off the hub a bit. You'll need to slowly step up the drill size because of the chrome though. I started with 1/8" and use 4 more intermediate sizes

john109 03-10-2013 12:06 PM

Those cross fires are a slick setup. Don I know we have already discussed it but you feel 85'psi's are the way to go. I tow the wifes jeep probably 50% of the time. The rest of the time we are just out for 2 or 3 days and don't bother taking the jeep. I guess 85 is a good round number especially after reading the Michelin Tire Charts.

Something else I was thinking about and this goes back to my airline days. I was down in South America and we ended up with bad water serviced into the airplane. People got sick and the plane was grounded for over a week being flushed out with bleach many times trying to make everything right. The reason I bring this up is because you guys were talking about filtration systems. I guess I am gun shy now but I never drink the water through RV/boat/airplane plumming. We use it for showers and cooking we use bottle water for drinking. just my .02 cents. Or drink beer instead

camaromance 03-10-2013 12:06 PM

Too funny, Don. I took the exact same approach. I've been calling Joanne, my service rep, every Friday. She's such a nice girl and I've been charming her socks off from day one. That will only get you so far. At some point though, it just gets ridiculous. It's been at the dealer since the first week in January and we agreed on a March 1st completion date. Now, it's stuck in the black hole of a paint shop. Having worked in auto-body before, paint shops are notorious for not completing on time. All the stuff ordered from Thor is supposed to be in their shop and ready to go. We'll see......

camaromance 03-10-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1491133)
Those cross fires are a slick setup. Don I know we have already discussed it but you feel 85'psi's are the way to go. I tow the wifes jeep probably 50% of the time. The rest of the time we are just out for 2 or 3 days and don't bother taking the jeep. I guess 85 is a good round number especially after reading the Michelin Tire Charts.

Something else I was thinking about and this goes back to my airline days. I was down in South America and we ended up with bad water serviced into the airplane. People got sick and the plane was grounded for over a week being flushed out with bleach many times trying to make everything right. The reason I bring this up is because you guys were talking about filtration systems. I guess I am gun shy now but I never drink the water through RV/boat/airplane plumming. We use it for showers and cooking we use bottle water for drinking. just my .02 cents.

John, I use those fresh water tank tabs to keep it clean. I drop a couple in the filter housing and let it go. But I'm with you. We use it for showers and cooking. Another practice I do is I keep it full, even when we're parked at a site. I use the water pump. The pressure is usually better and on the occasion when the park looses pressure, I still have water for showers.

bronk 03-10-2013 12:17 PM

Great hearing back from you guys. As I said previously, there is a great deal of information and knowledge to be shared on this forum,particularly as it pertains to the Challenger. I just dewinterized mine (today's temps. in the 60's to get ready for the trip to Gulf Shores, AL (about 625 miles from our home in E-town, KY. We usually make it a one stopover on the way down and back. I just don't like to rush it anymore. And I really dislike driving through Nashville, especially at rush hour on I-65. We belong to the
Ecapees RV Club. If you are not familiar with it or would like more info., e-mail or call 270-769-9313, and I would be more than happy to fill you in.
We have belonged for almost 20 years and really enjoy the people and the campgrounds (that is where we stay in AL). The campground,Rainbow Plantation, is about 10 or so miles from the beaches, but the price is right, and the traffic is not so bad this time of year. We will be leaving for Maine sometime in June. I really need to go to Elkhart and have the large slideout looked at. It seems to be "catching" on something on it initial release to the extend position. I'm sure it is just an adjustment, but I would rather the factory look at it than a local dealer here in KY.

All the best to you guys at you get your rigs ready to roll for the upcoming season!

Bronk

john109 03-10-2013 12:21 PM

I guess I will get the cross fires ordered. To me having one servicing point for two tires one of which is buried. Is a great thing, and myself and the UPS guy are on a first name basis now. Ever since I got the RV I am getting at least one to two deliveries per week.

Don thanks for the install info. and Jim I say pull it out of the body shop and roll on some camo paint colors that way no one will be able to find you in the woods.

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1491134)
Too funny, Don. I took the exact same approach. I've been calling Joanne, my service rep, every Friday. She's such a nice girl and I've been charming her socks off from day one. That will only get you so far. At some point though, it just gets ridiculous. It's been at the dealer since the first week in January and we agreed on a March 1st completion date. Now, it's stuck in the black hole of a paint shop. Having worked in auto-body before, paint shops are notorious for not completing on time. All the stuff ordered from Thor is supposed to be in their shop and ready to go. We'll see......

You're most definitely in a different situation than I am with the repaint. That always scares me but its' getting done by the same shop that does it all day long.

Best of luck and I hope they make you really happy!

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1491133)
I guess I am gun shy now but I never drink the water through RV/boat/airplane plumming. We use it for showers and cooking we use bottle water for drinking. just my .02 cents. Or drink beer instead

Although I don't drink the water I have an ice maker and when I shower it gets into your system like it or not so I sanitize my entire water system including the hoses I carry to get it to the MH.I link all of my hoses together and elevate both ends. I pour a 1/2 a cup of bleach into it and hook them to a water supply then fill them just until water starts to come out. I let that sit while I do other stuff then I fill the holding tank and get water flowing from every point including the low point valves and drain valve. Once the tank is full, it sits for a few hours. Then I start flushing from every point. I also fill the tank and flush from the city water hookup without the filter when I'm at the house and use the chlorine that's in my city water to do it's job.

Once I'm done I have no issues at all with drinking out of my system.

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1491133)
Those cross fires are a slick setup. Don I know we have already discussed it but you feel 85'psi's are the way to go. I tow the wifes jeep probably 50% of the time. The rest of the time we are just out for 2 or 3 days and don't bother taking the jeep. I guess 85 is a good round number especially after reading the Michelin Tire Charts.

The tires on our Challengers are over rated comparing your weights and the Michelin guide to proper inflation. Using your weights, 85 psi gives me room to tow and to carry water. I'll only be running 70 in front just as I had for 30,000 miles on my Outlaw. Unless I see wear indicating I'm under inflated, I'll leave it at that.

Also not that this is a cold pressure. When I was running tire pressure sensors I would see 110 on a hot day on the sunny side of the MH

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronk (Post 1491145)
Great hearing back from you guys. As I said previously, there is a great deal of information and knowledge to be shared on this forum,particularly as it pertains to the Challenger. I just dewinterized mine (today's temps. in the 60's to get ready for the trip to Gulf Shores, AL (about 625 miles from our home in E-town, KY. We usually make it a one stopover on the way down and back. I just don't like to rush it anymore. And I really dislike driving through Nashville, especially at rush hour on I-65. We belong to the
Ecapees RV Club. If you are not familiar with it or would like more info., e-mail or call 270-769-9313, and I would be more than happy to fill you in.
We have belonged for almost 20 years and really enjoy the people and the campgrounds (that is where we stay in AL). The campground,Rainbow Plantation, is about 10 or so miles from the beaches, but the price is right, and the traffic is not so bad this time of year. We will be leaving for Maine sometime in June. I really need to go to Elkhart and have the large slideout looked at. It seems to be "catching" on something on it initial release to the extend position. I'm sure it is just an adjustment, but I would rather the factory look at it than a local dealer here in KY.

All the best to you guys at you get your rigs ready to roll for the upcoming season!

Bronk

We enjoy the Gulf as well. We're booked on Dauphin Island on the end of December. Have a great trip!

We're heading north as well but in July to spend the 4th in Boston..

My slides may a horrible squeaking noise when I drive and I'm hoping they'll be able to do something about it next week when I bring it back. If not, I might be making a trip to Elkhart as well.

I'm glad you're getting something positive out of this thread. Gathering all of the common Challenger owners in one place really adds to the brain trust.

bdickson 03-10-2013 07:48 PM

When I press the brake pedal (ignition off) on my Challenger, I hear a whirring noise like a pump or electric motor. The walk through guy said that the 22,000# chassis has "electric brakes". What's this about? I did not get the noise on my 16,000# ACE.

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 07:52 PM

That's some sort of an electro-mechanical brake assist. I first noticed it on my Damon Outlaw Class A MH. It was odd to me at first but eventually you consider it normal

john109 03-11-2013 05:35 AM

Bruce
Don is right it is a an electo/ mechanical sytem. If you google electro-mechanical brake assist and select the one that says "brake by wire" it will explain it better than I can.

jeffmiller 03-11-2013 04:09 PM

Don, did you have to mod the mounting bracket for the crossfires to clear the center covers?

DGShaffer 03-11-2013 05:51 PM

I didn't use the supplied brackets. I went straight through the side of the Hub cover with the bolt into the side of the crossfire unit. One way or another the hub cover needs to be modified, this way it's just a single hole.

bdickson 03-11-2013 07:49 PM

My drivers side mirror came loose today while driving on I-20. Got to a rest area ok without anything falling off. The set screw that locks the mirror assembly to the top of the arm had come loose. Problem is there is not enough clearance to get a hex key in there to tighten the screw. It looks like I would have to grind down a 3/16 hex key to about a quarter inch on the right angle to be able to fit in the gap. Anyone else tried to adjust these Velvac mirrors?

DGShaffer 03-11-2013 07:57 PM

I adjusted mine just the other day. A standard Hex key fit right in as it should have. I'm wondering if something happened from the vibration after it came loose?

bdickson 03-11-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1492912)
I adjusted mine just the other day. A standard Hex key fit right in as it should have. I'm wondering if something happened from the vibration after it came loose?

My mirrors have cameras built in. The camera is lined up with the set screw and it is the shape of the plastic shroud behind the camera that prevents the key from going in.

camaromance 03-11-2013 08:21 PM

Bruce, it sounds like your mirror swing arm is adjusted too far in one direction. Try loosening the swing arm and rotating the assembly until you can get to the set screw on the mirror. Once tightening the set screw on the mirror, have the wife adjust the swing arm angle until its in the right position. I had the same problem with mine and I ended up having the swing arm more forward and out on the drivers side. Be careful pulling into toll booths afterward.

camaromance 03-11-2013 08:41 PM

Don, finally got a chance to watch your video. I see what you mean. I heard you drag on a couple of turns. That place looks awesome.

john109 03-12-2013 04:29 AM

Don are your cameras built into the mirror? I believe mine are on the side of the rv about 18" below the mirror. I wonder if the KT/GT is different from the DT. Either way I will check the mirrors later today. If vibration is going to be an issue maybe a drop of lock tite might help..Thanks guys for the heads up.

DGShaffer 03-12-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1492919)
My mirrors have cameras built in. The camera is lined up with the set screw and it is the shape of the plastic shroud behind the camera that prevents the key from going in.

I also have the mirror mounted cameras but have open access to the set screw on the back (foreword facing) side of the mirror arm

john109 03-12-2013 04:37 AM

I got to look closer on mine I thought my cameras were mounted elsewhere. But I do got an antique its a 2012.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.